Favorite Real Time Strategy Game?

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
In honor of the Company of Heroes 2 game going open beta in the days leading up to its release, thought we'd take this time to discuss y'alls favorite strategy games of the non turn based nature. Originally I thought to just limit it to StarCraft style ones, what with the resources and the capture points, but considering my favorite is Total War Shogun 2 thought that'd be a might hypocritical.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
To be honest, it's hard for me to pick one in particular. I've had good experiences on a number of RTSs and off-and-on play them with my girlfriend, who is a master of the genre to be sure.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
My friends and I are big time CoH fans, and still play it regularly.

Other than that, Empire Earth 2 is fun to mess around in. Stronghold Crusaders is a really good--kind of retro--RTS that has a really good economy mechanic.
Stronghold 2 expanded on the economy mechanics more, but they made resources too scarce and the population cap. was way to low. By the time you have your kingdom stable (no plague out breaks) and you have the money to build an army, you have no more people left.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Age of Mythology is my all time favourite RTS. Second to that would probably be Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War was the only RTS I could actually get into. Dats cuz da only way ta go is da orkz!

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
StarCraft: Brood War will always have a special place in my heart. That game is tied with some of my favourite gaming memories.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes, Homeworld, Age of Empires 2, and Starcraft 2 would probably be my favourite RTS.

As for choosing just one... no.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
The first Supreme Commander is my personal favorite. I loved having the tactical zoom, being able to queue up endless armies of robots, and having a giant microwave gun mounted on an equally enormous robot spider was just too awesome to quantify. You could also have a fleet of destroyers that would walk on land!

/sigh

Sep 14, 2009
empire earth or age of empire II and III

i could never get into alot of the other RTS's, just didn't like the micro managing of it or the LEET SKILLZ aspect of its community.

plus i prefer settling/civ builders rather than JUST full on war/based around war.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Age of Mythology is my all time favourite RTS. Second to that would probably be Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun.
:O Theres someone else out there that loves Tiberian Sun......

OT: Theres a few games I'd have on the list, Company of heroes would rank very highly if not the top, so would DoW and Homeworld series. Command and Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun will always be the classics to me :)

Captcha: We like the moon - actually that reminds me of the Earth Series, Earth 2140/2150/2160, their great as well

Sep 9, 2007
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. The ability to zoom out to see the entire battlefield is really useful. Its not micro-heavy either, which is a bonus.

In other news, I can't wait to get home tonight to try the Planetary Annihilation Alpha. Only 5 hours to go!

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
RicoADF said:
ShinyCharizard said:

OT: Theres a few games I'd have on the list, Company of heroes would rank very highly if not the top, so would DoW and Homeworld series. Command and Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun will always be the classics to me :)

Captcha: We like the moon - actually that reminds me of the Earth Series, Earth 2140/2150/2160, their great as well
Yep Tiberian Sun was a fucking great game. I must've played it every day after school for at least a year back when I was younger.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Muunokhoi said:
Total War Rome has and always will be my favourite RTS.
I'm surprised you're the first (and only thus far) to mention Total War.

Is it considered RTS? If so, then I'd probably go Empire/Napoleon. Something about musket lines = AWESOME. More about actual infantry tactics, position of artillery, and judicious use of cavalry on flanks - in the other Total War games I get irritated because half the time you can just storm everything into the middle and best troops = win. Nothing is more satisfying than your piddling militia force holding off the pride of an empire through superior tactics (nor more soul-crushing than the sight of your grenadiers fleeing from said militia!).

If we're not considering TW an RTS; then it'd have to be somewhere between old school C&C and Tiberian Sun for me. The atmosphere, the setting .. it flowed well. Playing through C&C and then loading up Tiberian Sun and going 'oh crap, what happened?!' when you see the blasted, Tiberium-riddled remains of Earth was an awesome shock.

EDIT: Oh, that other game. Can't remember the name. Global Conflict? The one where the Ruskies invade US via Seattle ... made me want to say 'WOLVERIIIIINES!!' alot.

Zefyrix

Feb 11, 2013
First I was gonna say that I'm not really a fan of RTS games. But I realized that I've played through quite a lot of them.
I've never liked to play them seriously though. Maybe it's because i'm really bad at them. I usually just play through the campaign and maybe some custom games against bots, but that's about it. I guess my favorites being Age of Mythology, Warcraft 3 and the Lord of rings Battle for middle-earth.

I still remember when I played Age of Mythology I went online but all i played were custom silly modes. Like I remember one where everyone controlled a Minotaur in a small arena with a pit in the middle. And the whole objective was to ram everyone else into the pit. So that was basically all I did in that game, play silly modes.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
RicoADF said:
My introduction to the RTS genre was Tiberian Sun, so it holds a special place in my heart. GDI Disruptor Tank 4evr!

Also in favourites is Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, purely for the hours I spent comp stomping with my friend, with huge fleets of destroyers or nuke bombers. Sins of a Solar Empire is another favourite, for the slow pace and epic, yet relaxing feel the game has.

My all time favourtie RTS game is impossible to choose, because Dawn of War (the first one, up to and including the Dark Crusade expansion), Tiberian Sun and Red Alert are all just too amazing to choose from.

RTS games are just the best.