Favorite RPG combat.

zorrandur

Mar 8, 2010
krazykidd said:
* Stares at avatar*

Legend of legaia . You basically imput different combinations of left , right , up or down , to create a move . Like up down up , would make Vahn kick the oponent , punch him then sumersault. The moves were not given to you in advace so you basically had to try different cmbinations on your own ( or look at a guide) except for a few hyper moves that you learned from books . You could also get monsters you could summon by defeating them in battle . Really fun battle system.

i played this game and finished it back in the day on my playstation back in my teens. and i've never been like "damn i wish this game didn't have to end" since.... fucking love the game. dual saga was a fucking tragedy

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Brawndo said:
No contest for real-time action RPGs:

By Crom's Sweaty Pits, you've nailed it there.

Hands down the best, most complex (and yet simplest) hth simulator there is.

If TES teamed up with M&B, you'd have quite possibly the greatest game in existence. Only prob is M&B is a little *too* sandbox. Quests and missions are generally forgotten about by the time you're a Lord (or Lady) because the rewards are simply not worth it.

I'm tempted to mod M&B into the 'next gen' of Defender of the Crown. That would *rock*. (as opposed to that God awful Robin Hood: DotC game they made ... a Pirates! rip off basically)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
That's a damn tough question, because I love a great number of systems..

But if you put a gun to my head...

Active: Legend of Mana (in theory. It needs some polish in practice. But being able to customize both combat techniques AND movement/evasion skills AND use context sensitive weapon attacks? Pretty good stuff.)

Tactical: Final Fantasy Tactics (it just holds up the best. This game, moreso than any other tactics RPG, doesn't hold back for long. Enemies do real damage. Magic is very powerful. Melee is very powerful. The class system and tactics are at their absolute best here, IMO. Everything else that's followed doesn't ever quite measure up for one reason or another.)

Turn-Based: Suikoden 2 (so fluid...it doesn't waste the player's time as much with showboating, and yet, it's still cool to watch)

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
I opened this thread thinking of Tabletop RPGs but since it's apparently CRPGs:

Either Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 3/New Vegas.

I like to play out real-time combat but have a turn-based switch for micromanagement. I guess it's because I'm an old-school tabletop gamer but I like to see real-time resolution.

My biggest gripe with VATS in the new Fallout games is getting a "hit" ruined by shitty collision detection with your cover. Especially when you've sunk all your AP into the attack and you watch your character pump round after round into a bit of broken rebar or the waist-high wall you'd crouched behind.

Will someone hurry the fuck up and make a Shadowrun RPG for PC? Pretty please?

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
For fast-paced and fun, pretty much any of the Tales games in my opinion, from the first 2D ones to the latest 3D extravaganzas. Honorary mention goes to Baten Kaitos, that was a pretty unique and fun system.

Montassiner

The Everpresent
Mar 21, 2011
Who remembers Revenant? An rpg with finisher moves like street fighter - and no - Amalur's finishing moves don't rate a mention to what you could do in Revenant.

With the right combination, your character would jump on its enemies shoulders (think WWE), and proceed to flip the enemy against a wall.

So much joy - why hasn't anyone made a Revenant remake? WHY!!!!?

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Demon/Dark Souls for actiony RPG's.
And.....let's go with the Golden Sun series for the more traditional combat set-up.

Sram

Sep 3, 2011
I had a lot of fun with the combat system of Eternal Sonata, espacially if you unlocked the last Partylevel. Raising the echo meter and then unleashing all your Partymembers special attacks is just great.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Sagacious Zhu said:
The Shin Megami Tensei series has always stood out in terms of turn-based-combat mainly because it's impossible to just to spam attack and win the battle through brute force. Nocturne in particular KICKED THE PLAYER'S MONKEY ASS if they didn't buff/debuff regularly
I agree with this man.
I would also go with Persona 4 for opposite reasons.
P4 for the convenience and user friendliness while Nocturne for being hard and relentless.
One for introducing me to the franchise and the whole JRPG Genre and the other giving me a challenge and keeping me hooked.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Anthraxus said:
Tactical ... Temple of Elemental Evil and Jagged Alliance 2
The Madman said:
Temple of Elemental Evil

Best to date implementation of tactical DnD combat in a video game. It really is sublime, I'd have loved for more games built on that engine.
Condiments said:
Temple of elemental evil, and Icewind Dale 2. Great tactical games that I wish we would have seen more of instead of endlessly replicated action games...
I would like to congratulate the 3 of you for successfully selling a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil. At first, I thought you guys had decided to ignore the video-game implication (he didn't specify video game RPG, but it felt like it was implied) and just bring table-top into this, but then I did the research and found out that's actually a video game.

I always thought neverwinter nights 2 was my only option to have 3.5e rules in a video game, and NWN2 was really sort of lame and buggy. I'm super excited for this game to arrive now. Thanks!

OT: I'd say probably a tie between dragon age and KOTOR. I prefer the D20 combat system from KOTOR (I was REALLY hoping they'd find a way to work that into TOR, but I knew it wouldn't happen) but they did a much better job at making tactics necessary in Dragon Age which I loved. I also tend to favor Sci-Fi over Middle-Earth, but that doesn't have much to do with the combat. I just aesthetically prefer stabbing somebody with a glowstick as opposed to a sword.

Honorable mention to Champions of Norrath, which I'm actually a little disappointed not to have seen yet. That game was one of my favorites for the idea of leveling up, just because you were so clearly able to see your prowess enhance as you level up. I always hate when RPG's scale everything up perfectly with you so that you don't feel like you've gotten any more powerful (I'm looking at YOU Elder Scrolls 4/5)

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
boag said:
Xenogears and its evolved forms in Valkyrie Profile and Endless Frontier.

Its a turned based system, but it also adds in a timing mechanic and a combo system that gets you engaged in the fights.

The timing needed to pull off some attacks requires more tactical training than just going balls deep with OP characters.
I still havent played xenogears, I need to wait for a new one to come out though, the original is going to be hard for me to give my full respect to because of its age, I can sympathise with 'new gamers' who havent play FF7 for the same reason.

I suppose for good old rpg turn based combat something like pokemon or FF7 pull this off very flawlessley but I suppose the narrative helps fuel the and ease the repetition.
Lost oddessy also gets a mention for this.

Im not a fan of tactical grid based fighting but disgea has a very user freindly format, and valkyrie profile is an exception to the rule (absolutley AWSOME)

but for me and yall really need to check out the studio Tri Ace for this they OWN original innovative combat and all my faves are made by them in terms of rpg and story

The Tales games studio is basically the,first incarnation of those guys before they became tri ace
same with star oceon

Resonance of Fate
Baten Katios
Valkyrie profile
infinite undixcovery
and of course the much improved FF XIII-2s combat!

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Okami, Clover Studios.

Best combat in an RPG I've had in a long time...it's like Legend of Zelda's simplistic combat, but made more complex by adding in different combo-based items, where you can combine two weapons to make one kill-all combo, for all different situations. My favorite was still using the basic disc, plus the sword as a secondary. Go through my full main weapon combo, knock them up with the sword, then charge it and ride the sword Silver Surfer style straight through them.

Worked every time...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Turn Based: Final Fantasy X & Xenosaga series
SRPG: Disgaea series
Action: Kingdom Hearts series

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I like the Golden Sun combat system. I like it a lot.
Here here! It is like Final Fantasy without the horrible plot, forgettable characters, and pointless additions!
#2 was my favorite Golden Sun, especially with my bamf team from #1.

#1 on my list is a tie between Fire Emblem and Paper Mario (only the first one)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
IzisviAziria said:
I would like to congratulate the 3 of you for successfully selling a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil. At first, I thought you guys had decided to ignore the video-game implication (he didn't specify video game RPG, but it felt like it was implied) and just bring table-top into this, but then I did the research and found out that's actually a video game.
Glad to have been of assistance. Games available on gog as well which is always nice. I'd also highly recommend downloading the circle of eight mod which acts as a sort of mega fan-patch, fixing up the games bugs and re-implementing some unfinished or excluded content.

Not the best game I've ever played story-wise... far from the best really. But then I suspect if you're familiar with the original campaign setting you probably know that already. Luckily it's a great setting for diverse battles and the combat is something ToEE does extremely well as the many recommendations here can attest. Also very replayable as well since alignment can play a surprisingly big role in the game, right up to a unique starting scenario for the different party alignment from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil.

Enjoy!