favorite rpg

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Knights of the old republic:
A satisfying amount of player choice and consequence that lets you role-play in a great world (that is also star wars) without sacrificing any of an amazing story and very good (mostly) characters that will forever be the benchmarks I judge Wookiees, old hermits, and evil robots by.
I really wish that Mass effect gave the player as much of an interesting character to work with, I always feel like the boring "lets go do the serious business" person of the crew. otherwise that mass effect 2 might be here.

that and any Fallout or Pokemon game.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Depends on the genre and platform.

Favourite "epic" RPG - Oblivion
Favourite dark fantasy RPGs - Dark Souls, Game of Thrones RPG (seriously, this game had some good story), and The Witcher
Favourite post-apocalyptic RPG - FO:NV
Favourite console RPGs - Chrono Trigger, FF6, Chrono Cross
Favourite "hybrid" RPGs - Harvest Moon series, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy XII, yeah I know, the game that is second only to FFXIII in absolute scorn from many an FF fan, say what you want, the game had a ton of different ways to mix up the combat, the excellent gambit system gave you complete control over your parties actions which opened up tons of strategies. You also had a shit ton to do, with hunts, treasures and other such things just waiting for you, the game rewarded you heavily for going off the beaten path (and sometimes punished you, freaking Zallara)
Haters gonna hate, I thought it was a terrific game. I've put over 1000 hours in it and loved every second. I really should hook up my PS2 again some day.

As a close second I'll say Demon's Souls. Dark Souls had the better gameplay, but I just enjoyed Demon's Souls' atmosphere so much more.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Almost certainly FFIX. God I love that game. Just for...everything.

I also keep coming back to Resonance of Fate, I just love the combat system and atmosphere it provides.

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
After completing it again a few days ago I think I'll go with KOTOR2. With TSLRestored Content Mod. I had bugs galore last time I played this game, but the mod seemed to sort everything nicely, and the Droid Factory was awesome!

It was a tough choice, at first I was going to go with Neverwinter Nights, Might and Magic 7 or Fallout 2, but Knights of the Old Republic was just bloody awesome!

chainguns

Oct 28, 2010
Favorite aRPG - Dungeon Siege 2 (great loot, music, quest structure), followed closely by ME1 (the only true ME game)
Favorite story/atmosphere in an RPG - Knights of the Old Republic 2
Favorite recent RPG - Might & Magic X, followed closely by Divinity Original Sin
Favorite ancient RPG - Shadows of Amn

General all time favorite (without going back >10 years) ... Dragon Age Origins. I doubt we'll see anything with this fidelity to the genre conventions AND story AND high production values AND challenging combat/gameplay for many years to come.

Skyrim is an action game/hiking simulator with crafting/levelling to masquerade as an RPG (but fun for what it is)

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
28 posts and no mention of EarthBound. Wow. I could play that game million times and never get old. It's so cheery, unique, fun, and hilarious, that I can't help but enjoy every play through. And the music, so good. One of best on the SNES, and probably the longest soundtrack.

Also Dark Souls. It's the pinnacle of everything amazing about modern games, and what developers should really be doing with modern games. Rich lore, world, extremely fun combat, and cool and unique secrets. It's a shame most modern RPG's don't take a few notes from Dark Souls.

Deceptive_Trixter

Oct 21, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Nothing like going around a ruined landscape recruiting demons and punching deities in the face.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Xenogears (for the PS1), a turn-based JRPG.

Greatest video game of all time. ^^

Planescape: Torment is up there too, but nothing beats Xenogears for sheer storytelling.

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Fallout New Vegas (on pc): Despite its issues this game was excellent, the only real thing I had against it was the world itself which I gout used to after a while.

I'm going to mention Divinity Original Sin too. I have had a lot of fun with that game and I like how challenging it can be.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Mestraal said:
Almost certainly FFIX. God I love that game. Just for...everything.

I also keep coming back to Resonance of Fate, I just love the combat system and atmosphere it provides.
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy IX, which is also my favourite game of all time, the story, the characters, the music, the gameplay, everything about it is just perfect.

Morrowind also comes to mind, I have seen a lot of flak towards vanilla Morrowind, but I think the base game with the expansions is just incredible, I find that most mods I tried using didn't work properly, bugged my game or just marred the experience.

Fallout New Vegas, I played the base game for upwards of 200 hours, I have yet to play it with mods, but if I can add a bunch of choice mods, fix the bugs, fix the performance and crashes, then I could play that game forever and not get bored, there is just something about the Mojave that keeps me coming back for more.

Shin Megami Tensei IV, with fast combat, bitchin' music, a world oozing in atmosphere and the excellent demon fusion system, its an absolute gem, its also an anti-grind, while you will fight a lot, you never really have to truly level grind, if you keep your demons up to date via fusion and update your equipment now and then, you will progress comfortably the whole way through.

Final Fantasy XII, yeah I know, the game that is second only to FFXIII in absolute scorn from many an FF fan, say what you want, the game had a ton of different ways to mix up the combat, the excellent gambit system gave you complete control over your parties actions which opened up tons of strategies. You also had a shit ton to do, with hunts, treasures and other such things just waiting for you, the game rewarded you heavily for going off the beaten path (and sometimes punished you, freaking Zallara)
I'm think I'm gonna join the Final Fantasy IX bandwagon. I still finish that game on a yearly basis.

Also, I would like to add my two cents to the FF XII comment. It's true that there were a lot of people complaining about FF XII, mostly because it innovated so many elements and people are afraid of things that are "different". Now, I myself have spend quite a few hours on FF XII, meaning that I definitely don't dislike the game, but I would never be able to call it one of my favorites. Why? Because quite a few of the game mechanics are broken. First of all, the free-roaming of the ADB-system is exploitable. Second, physical combat is continuous, while spells work with an ATB/turn-based mechanic, making battles against larger groups of enemies a huge mess. Third, the limitations of the PS2 cause monsters of one and the same area not to spawn all at once - which brings me directly to the spatial limitations of said areas. Finally, the way rare equipment is unlocked in the bazaar is so calculated that your chances of getting the strongest equipment without a guide is next to zero. (Also, I didn't care about any of the characters and thought the story was uninteresting, but maybe that's just me - good lore though!)

Also, to get one of the strongest weapons in the game, you had to NOT open certain chests.

NOT opening chests in a RPG?

Are you mental?!

That goes against all my basic gaming instincts.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
It's between these games
Xenoblade Chronicles
Final Fantasy VI
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
TLoZ: Majora's Mask

Runners up are
The Word Ends With You
Knights in the Knightmare
Chrono Trigger

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
(...)

wRPG: Fallout 2 / Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura.

(...)
And here I was, thinking I'm the only living soul on this plane of existence whose answer would turn out to be Arcanum.

OT: Speaking of planes, I'm also rather partial to the ...scape: Torment kind.

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
Hm...I think may favourite RPG depends on my current thinking, I usually say Skies of Arcadia, but, am just replaying Persona 4 (PS2) at the mo and the game is still awesome, even on its second play through. But then again Resonance of Fate was totally awesome on its third/forth play through. It really is difficult to name just one game that's your favourite, I love them all for so many different reasons.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
C. Cain said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
(...)

wRPG: Fallout 2 / Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura.

(...)
And here I was, thinking I'm the only living soul on this plane of existence whose answer would turn out to be Arcanum.

(...)
*Gasp* A 20k+ poster quoted me! Must...reply.... ,)

Looking over other posters replies made me remember some I should have added, but the first thing that came to mind was Arcanum.
It is a very memorable game. Full of interesting vistas and storylines.
Too bad the sequel never got anywhere, but there is always kickstarter or similar sites to be found.
I've heard it did rather well over in France, but was sadly went (mostly) unremarked elsewhere.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
*Gasp* A 20k+ poster quoted me! Must...reply.... ,)
Hah. Never got that reaction before.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Looking over other posters replies made me remember some I should have added, but the first thing that came to mind was Arcanum.
Indeed, there are quite a few immersive RPGs out there.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
It is a very memorable game. Full of interesting vistas and storylines.

Definitely. It's magic/tech dichotomy adds to its replay value. A tech run and a magic run are entirely different, and then you can always opt to go for an aptitude neutral character (e.g. thief, although lock picking/unlocking cantripa are not aptitude neutral per se).
When I first played it I started with a tech gunslinger. I thought the game was incredibly hard, what with its dodgy real time combat and the lack of a decent firearm (until you know where to find one. Thanks, Sammie White). Turns out magic is almost insultingly easy, throw in... well, throwing and you're nigh unstoppable.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Too bad the sequel never got anywhere, but there is always kickstarter or similar sites to be found.
I'm not entirely sure if that's a good idea. Fans are not the best designers, they tend to be too indulgent. If Troika were to make a comeback I'd be all for it. They can also make another Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
I've heard it did rather well over in France, but was sadly went (mostly) unremarked elsewhere.
Yes, that always struck me as somewhat odd, too. Whatever made it reverberate with the French didn't seem to have quite the same effect on other people. Maybe I'm veering off into tangible details territory, but it may have something to do with its steep learning curve (especially for techies, as I mentioned above), its joyless graphics (Planescape came out two year earlier, and while its graphics were nothing to write home about either, it still looked pretty vibrant), and its more or less clunky interface. Once you're past these cosmetic issues its a gem, though.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
C. Cain said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I'm not entirely sure if that's a good idea. Fans are not the best designers, they tend to be too indulgent. If Troika were to make a comeback I'd be all for it. They can also make another Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Very true, as we've seen with Wasteland 2 for example.
I would most likely be disappointed with something not entirely living up to my (unreasonable) expectations.
I'm just hoping against hope that somewhere sometime someone could do it justice.

Having Troika resurrected with it's old IP's would be amazing. Great games, that could have been better still.