Favorite RTS factions?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
CrustyOatmeal said:
sc1: protoss for arbiter mass recalling a ton of archons inside a turteling terran
sc2: zerg for the mass bainlings or mass infestors strategy i love to use at lan parties
What? SC2 lan? What kind of drugs are you on mate? Or better yet, what kind of drugs am I not on. Also mass baneling bust is fairly cheesy.

OT: Night Elves in WCIII
France in RA2
Protoss in SC 1
Protoss in SC 2
Swiss/Germans in AoE III
Celts in AoE II

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
The Galactic Empire - Any Star Wars game.

Global Defence Initative - C&C Tiberium Dawn

The Soviet Union - C&C Red Alert

ARM - Total Annihilation

Cybran Nation - Supreme Commander

The German Wehrmacht - Company of Heroes

NATO - World in Conflict

The Horde - WarCraft games

EDIT: Anyone know why there are two copys of my post and how I can delete one of them?

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
The Galactic Empire - Any Star Wars game.

Global Defence Initative - C&C Tiberium Dawn

The Soviet Union - C&C Red Alert

ARM - Total Annihilation

Cybran Nation - Supreme Commander

The German Wehrmacht - Company of Heroes

NATO - World in Conflict

The Horde - WarCraft games

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Battle for Middle Earth 2 : Angmar
WC3: Undead
Lords of the Realm 2 : Baron (not that it really made a difference)
DOW: Guard ( an endless wall of buildings that are also impromptu fortifications? Do want.)
RA2: Yuri (your army are belong to me)
Alpha Centauri : Provost Zarkarov and the Science faction (Singularity Cannons FTW)
Shogun: Mountain Faction (Utsumi i think)
SoaSE: Vasari (Stealth Missiles!)
Galatic Civilizations 2: the little grey dudes that have like no weapon techs....yeah dont remember the faction name...
Sacrafice: the james faction
there are more but im done for now

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
GDI and TEC in command and conquer and sins of a solar empire respectively.

Ones a tank and ones an economic powerhouse, both are awesome.

Dr. Win

Jan 2, 2011
SC2: Protoss, mass phoenix and killing all their workers before they know what happened.

DoW: Eldar. Because Harlequins are badass.
DoW: DC: Nercrons, because Necron lords and pretty imba (at least from memory)

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
The Tainted Coil.

A faction of demons who hold together their disgusting deformed bodies with leather straps, gag balls and other S&M-type items. Whose method of creating troops is by having their leader breed with one of three hierachy units, two of whom are male, who are based on nuns, priests and bishops in order of increasing power of the troops they produce. Who produce units by giving birth to them via a tentacle from their mouth which is inserted into the ground and emerges as a boil suspended at the end of a growth-like thing which grows, pulsates and eventually bursts. Whose not only troops but cars, merchandise booths, stage and even ammunition are made from living creatures, twisted into whatever shape they are needed to be. Whose faction is themed around pain, mutilation and torture. Who listen to industrial metal.

Seriously, these guys are the single most twistedly brilliant and disturbing things I've ever seen in a video game.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
I like NOD from C&C, because they have flamethrowers, flame-tanks, obelisk watch towers, avatars and NUKES!!!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
The Cybran Nation of Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Besides their ideals being more in-line with my own, they've also got the quickest experimental units (and the most individually devastating experimental artillery unit... also, Soul Ripper gunship for the win), the sneakiest, most flexible naval units, and stealth fighters and bombers of equivalent strength to the other three factions' non-stealth versions.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I'm a fan of two things, hordes and armour.

That's why I love DOW's Imperial Guard, plus you get to build a Baneblade!

Honourable mentions go to: the Necrons and the Warcraft 3 Undead (self re-spawning hordes are fun, especially when sent into a turtled base)
Trader Emergency Coalition or TEC of Sins of a Solar Empire.

reCAPTCHA: cultured itionvel

Happybobby1623

May 18, 2009
Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn (and pretty much all of the Tiberium series): Hands down the Brotherhood. Playing GDI it just felt like the standard "good guys" vibe. But with NOD...You felt a part of something bigger. It did help that Joseph Kucan just oozes malevolent charisma when playing Kane.

Its long past the point of spoilers, but the moment where Kane shoots Seth and says simply, "I am Kane" still sends shivers down my spine.

RA 1 (And expnsion packs): Russia. Missile subs, heavy and mammoth tanks, yaks, migs... in terms of raw unit firepower Russia takes the cake.

RA 2: Brits. Be green, hide snipers behind trees, anytime there's an infantry push hillarity ensues. Either that or France and just daisy chain power plants until you make the Great Wall of Grand Cannons.

RA 3: Japan. On any map with water Battlecruisers dominate the long range game.

Generals: GLA! So adaptable, and the lack of having to manage power is always a huge plus.

CoH: Panzer Elite in Company of Heroes hands down. Some of the hardest hitting infantry, adaptable, fast moving. Fits agressive playstyle perfectly.

DoW: The Necrons were imba. Crazy imba. Without the forced retreat rules from tabletop, it gets REALLY hard to stop necrons.

DoW2: It's a tossup for me between Chaos (Blood for the Blood God!) and Orks. Chaos is fun to play, Orks are even more fun to listen to.

Homeworld: Kushan, drone frigates, cloak fighters. So many ways to harass resource lines more than the brunt force of Taiidan's

Homeworld 2: Vaygr. I know theres not much difference between the two factions, but I like the style of their capital ships and fighters more.

Sacrifice: Have to say, playing for a giant celestial Earth Worm Jim has its appeal.

KABUTO: KABUTO WILL EAT YOU.

EPolleys

May 12, 2010
I prefer orks in whatever game I find them, I have a soft spot for them because I think they're a bit misunderstood. I love the 40k orks the most because of just how over the top they are, stormboyz are amazing.

I also played as France in Medieval 2 total war, that was some great calvalry.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Soviets or Zerg, and I do not care what RTS it really is. I want to play as Red Alert Soviets in Dawn of War II or Zerg in Tiberioum Wars, Halo Wars, Fuck lets get some Zerg infected Soviets in Rise of Nations

Kurbz

May 27, 2011
Outside of the horrible plot I liked Endwar o.o. My initial goal was to beat it with every faction. Then I found the Russians. 1) They have boom sticks. 2) F*** Europe's speed. Speed is useless dead. 3) America maps were too easy imo 4) They are Russian! On to the less fanboy part. The controller was a bit out of place. I yearned for my mouse constantly. However, that was fixed by the voice controls. Even being wobbly at the time "Unit 6 attack that guy" *Unit 3 evacuating* Nuuuuuuu! They were innovative and really fun.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Here's my list from the Total war series

Rome: Greeks/Carthage(civilized armies without the damn roman senate bugging you)
Rome Barbarian Invasion: Alemani(Night raiders mean I only have to flank a little and they rout.)
Medieval 2: Holy Roman Empire?Russia(HRE=Kick ass shock troops with decent missile support. Russia=multipurpose archers and great calvary)
Empires: Russia(Hand mortars and cossack calvary FTW)
Shogun 2: Takeda(I like the cavalry, crappy start position makes things fun)

For your more true RTS'

Sins of a Solar Empire: The Advent
Empire at War: Rebels
SC: Terran
SC2: Terran

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
I always preferred the archery civilizations in AoE... britons, mayans, chinese, saracens (loosely)...

mainly because i loved playing defensively with huge cities... was always fun to build double walls and fill the space with archers, just cause

same with stationing trebuchets strategically along the walls, even if they didn't necessarily help against anything but the slower siege units... i was always into the aesthetics of it

Civ5... probably Egyptians

Sins of a solar empire... always went Vasari. Their individual ships may be less powerful, but the phase stabilizer allows them to jump an entire fleet to any connected world, rather than having to split into smaller fleets to defend your flank... so it's very easy to gain a numerical advantage

Supreme commander... seraphim... just gotta love the experimental bombers
supreme commander 2... aeon illuminate... loved to lay traps with space temples and loyalty guns. build as many guns as possible, all surrounding a space temple, open the portal into the middle of their base and move a small army through (as a decoy). they then see an open space portal and leap through with their army, assuming you were just doing a geurilla raid, and get their entire army either converted or destroyed by newly converted units

failing that (in games with no nukes, etc) go UEF and build a couple of disrupter stations, and bombard the crap out of their base while they watch in horror

halo wars: it was always fun to play as the arbiter and immediately run the arbiter himself into their base and cut it to pieces. High risk, because you had to use the special ability so couldn't manage the rest of your base, but was very easy to win this way

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Starcraft - Protoss (I'm such a brotoss)

Dawn of War - Imperial Guard

Supreme Commander - Cybran Nation

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Castle

Give me these in their respective games and I will ruin your day.

Jack Da Ripper

Mar 15, 2009
Total Anhilation - Core - Because a nation run by AI collective consciousness is cool
Supreme Commander - UEF Because they have the best name by far... also the least played
R.U.S.E - France - I will crush you with my tanks
World in Conflict - Air AIR POWER FTW!
ALL W40k Games - Imperial Guard Underdogs relic really liked to nerf them in the expansions
C&C Generals - Terrorist Stealth Guy it was so fun having hidden tunnel networks of suicide bombers
Red Alert 2 - I Guess Soviets vanilla and Yuri in the Expansion because psyker powers are fun.
MTW & MTW II - Byzantines... Roman Empire Successors owning these barbarian noobs.
RTW - With RTR probably the Roman Republic, while vanilla they are just really fun and versatile, but in Vanilla I would have to go with the Seleucid Empire.

I'm sure there are others but these are just off the top of my head, out of these Total Anhilation is my favorite game by far, with RTW probably a close second.

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
Age of Empires II - Byzantines: I remember kicking a lot of ass with them. A LOT of ass. I also liked the Britons - their longbows were sick.

Warcraft III - I liked playing as the Orcs a lot.

Other than that, I haven't played as much RTS's I would like, since I enjoy the games a lot.

I know I played Command and Conquer - Red Alert or whatever it is. I had fun with that.

OH, and the Star Wars RTS that ensemble made.

Rebel Faction and Clone Troopers were win.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm. Let's see:

Starcraft - Terrans. Always loved me some Ghost/Siege tank action.
Starcraft 2 - Terrans. Again. What can I say? GO HOME TEAM!!
Halo Wars - UNSC. Spartans and Hawks. S'all I need.
Sins of a Solar Empire - Advent. Besides they're culture and strike-craft oriented tech tree, I just love them thematically.
Homeworld - Kushan. I loved the cloaked strike craft and drone frigates. Plus, I always like playing as the underdog.
MechCommander - While there really weren't any set "factions", I always preferred my Clan tech. They always had the coolest mechs.
Warcraft 3 - I actually always toggled between Undead and Night Elves. I never really preferred one over the other.

Those were the ones I've played most in my gaming life (that had "factions") so they're the ones I can speak on conclusively.

Saviordd1 said:
...TEC in...sins of a solar empire...
WouldYouKindly said:
Sins of a Solar Empire: The Advent
Good to not only see fellow Sins players, but at least one who's a fan of the Advent.

I swear, they get way too much ire and far too little appreciation. I've won games as the Advent that I normally would have lost had I played in the same situation with the other two species.