favorite spells

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
right, so, there have been quite a number of threads in the past about your favorite weapons in games, but haven't seen one about magic in games, which kinda surprises me
so, ranging from actual magic to TES5 shouts to Mass Effect biotics to Bioshock plasmids, what are your favorites?
mine are

5)Zun-Haal-Viik from Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim
granted I could've gone for Fus-Ro-Dah or Hun-Kaal-Zoor, there was just something really fun about disarming those motherfucking Draugr DeathLords and Death OverLords and reduce them to fisticuffing
though later I unlocked the shield bash disarm and it became rather pointless =P

4)Geyser Trap from Bioshock 2
I admit it was kinda weird that being this super-human armored big ************ you could still be brought down by 2 spider-splicers slapping your shit, it was incredibly fun going to low-ceiling locations, making them run to me and then leave a geyser trap at their feet and slam themselves on the ceiling, even more with electrified traps
also I was kinda on the fence between Geyser Trap, ElectroShock, Summon Eleanor and Scout, but eh, I just had more fun with this one

3)Water-breathing from Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall
this one isn't so much a preferred one as it is a needed one, since you run out of air pretty quickly when swimming, even as an argonian, so... yeah
again I was kinda on the fence on this one too, between Water-breathing and Water-walking, because an assassin lizard jesus is just cool, but not as useful

2)ZXKUQYB from Ultima 3 Exodus
I'll just let the spellbook description speak for itself
"The letters which head this entry represent the seven words of anti-creation. They are the words which release the fury of Truth upon the world. No entire word is ever written, for should even the letters which represent their sounds be brought together on a page, the release of power would cause destruction of untold magnitude.
If thou should encounter a situation so evil as to require their use, speak them softly only to the air beside thee. Most of thy foes will be struck down with a force so strong it will end this life, and all other potential lives within them."

1)Scrye from Clive Barker's Undying
granted this isn't much of an active spell, but I thought it was really cool how it allowed you to see hidden things that really helped get into the atmosphere and the world of the game, like the hanging corpses on the lamps at the beginning of the game, or the unforgettable family picture, that was some cool shit

and some honor mentions
-Charge and Shockwave biotics from Mass Effect, they were awesome to use, especially the animation of the Charge, uh, charging before lashing to the enemy, and how awesome the shockwave sounds and shakes the screen as it travels across the field
-Skull Storm and Shield from Clive Barker's Undying, because really, nothing feels more satisfying than killing outworldly beasts with exploding Lost Souls from Doom, and Shield+Scythe of the Celts, 'nuff said
-P from Ultima 3, basically, same as ZXKUQYB, only that it's for mages instead of clerics

so, what's yours?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
teh_Canape said:
Wooooo. Someone old enough to remember Ultima! And Ultima 3, no less!

For spells...that's a tough one. I'm gonna have to go with SoW.

We'll see if anyone even knows what the hell that is.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:

actually I'm 19, it's just that upgrading your PC/buying consoles is quite expensive here so I grew up with outdated PCs and therefore outdated games, which gave me the love for classic/old games that I have
Abuse and Alien Breed were my faves

also I actually placed my fist on the screen, because you're mah bro

saviorindeath

Jun 28, 2010
I tend to have a thing for thunder spells...I TES5 thats the only updated magic spell,also love to be a summner. Nothing like being on the loseing end of a battle in say fianl fantasy...summon bahumut and game over(mostly)

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
saviorindeath said:
I tend to have a thing for thunder spells...I TES5 thats the only updated magic spell
I personally found the electric spells in TES5 to be rather worthless for my style, as when I wasn't sneaking I was full-on attacking, so I used restoration and destruction spells such as healing and flames/frostbite, though I will say that shock spells were a godsend when fighting dragon priests

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
I can't remember what it was called, but it was in Golden Sun. Basically, a huge sword just flew down from the sky and did mass damage, it was pretty badass.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Storm Call - Skyrim

My only regret is that it kept killing my horse every time. Calling down a lightning storm was just FUN!

Heroism - World of Warcraft

The RaugaragaRAH! sound combined with everyone getting bigger just makes that spell really fun.

Intervene + Shockwave - World of Warcraft

Intervene and Shockwave really made tanking fun. Zipping at high speed back to your healer and saving the day stunning all the mobs that were about to kill him/her. Especially awesome for gnome tanks.

Inferno - Dragon Age: Origins

Ok maybe not the most "unique" spell, but I loved that gigantic pillar of fire.

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
Lloyd's Beacon - Might and Magic games. Slap down your own check points that you can teleport to any time you want. I'm really surprised that more RPG's don't have spells like this.

Town Portal - Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic games. I think Might and Magic is one of the first games with this type of spell.

Dimensional Door - Heroes of Might and Magic games.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Soul Storm, in City of Heroes. It's a useful hold, but made much more awesome by the post-cast animation your character goes into - hovering in the air, arms folded, in best "you are beneath my notice" egomaniacal villain fashion.

Jan 13, 2012
Well both of these spells are from bioware games

2) Magic Missle from Baldurs Gate (Seriously fucking awesome shit)

1) Biotic Charge from mass effect 2 is just made of win

Honorable mentions go to singularity (also from ME if you didnt know) and fireball from skyrim (dont know if it was in oblivion because i never played it)

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Crash to Desktop from Magicka.
It was added in after the game's extremely buggy launch.
It surrounds a random person with a blue screen of death and winks out of existence taking them with it.
If you use it too often there is an incredibly high chance of it working on you.
Absolutely fucking hilarious.

George Barrow

Sep 5, 2011
Mine is telekinesis
Mainly because I can move shit around WITH MY MIND
but seriously I like the thought of moving stuff and then making people wonder where they put it
Or flying a sword straight through someone's face

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Paralysis from Skyrim.
Couple this spell with stairs, and hilarity ensues.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Blind from Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Spell that basicly removes group of units from combat until they are attacked or its dispelled. Its rather overpowered because even heroes without wisdom skill (skill that allows you to learn level 3+ magic) can learn it and its also rather cheap on mana.

Also I like summoning spells that summon something really powerful that you cannot control so you can only hope it will go after your enemies first. Doomguard from WoW used to be like that. When some warlock was bored he summed it in some starting arena and laughed maniacally until the demon turned against him.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
1)Soul Trap - Elder Scrolls: The very Idea that I can cast it on someone who's pissed me off, kill them and right before they ascend to whatever afterlife awaits them; I grasp their very essence and lock it in a black stone. PLUS, I can then harvest and destroy their soul to cultivate magical effects for the sword that slit their throat? Come on!

2)Force Storm - Kotor: I can shoot lighting from my fingertips that actively seeks out all the people I don't like within a wide area of me, and proceeds to boil their insides with the volts of the attack. You can tell I ain't no prissy Jedi.

3)Darkness Guns - The Darkness Demonic pistols forged in hell to combat the very force of evil that corrupted the devil; only to be twisted by it into tools of it's own macabre desires. These babies could fire like an SMG with limitless ammo or launch a powerful explosive round into your enemies.

Those are my top three

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Any of the combo spells from DA:Origins. I really liked them and then they dropped them in DA2.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
teh_Canape said:

For spells...that's a tough one. I'm gonna have to go with SoW.

We'll see if anyone even knows what the hell that is.

Spirit of the Wolf? o_O Everquest ftw?

OT: Strun Bah Qo. Storm call for those at home. So fun to use in town.

Also I am quite a big fan of Force Storm from KoToR2.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
The rune of torment, from Planescape: Torment.

Not only is it stupendously effective in-game, it's stupendously appropriate for The Nameless One's personal journey.

Missile of patience is also pretty cool.