Favorite TV Shows?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fawlty Towers is still on Stan, and the line they reference is still intact. Mind, Stan is - as far as I know - Australian owned/based so isn’t taking orders from panicky Yank higher ups.
I'm referring to the removal of 'The Germans' episode from UKTV. This isn't a single line.

And maybe I'm not affected yet, but I bought the episode off YouTube for $3 just in case.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm referring to the removal of 'The Germans' episode from UKTV. This isn't a single line.

And maybe I'm not affected yet, but I bought the episode off YouTube for $3 just in case.
I know which episode it is. They’re specifically referencing a line where the Major talks about cricket teams and both ‘niggers’ and ‘wogs’ are said. He was apparently explaining the difference to a lady companion at the Cricket. Those lines are usually cut in broadcast these days. They are however still present in the streaming version.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I know which episode it is. They’re specifically referencing a line where the Major talks about cricket teams and both ‘niggers’ and ‘wogs’ are said. He was apparently explaining the difference to a lady companion at the Cricket. Those lines are usually cut in broadcast these days. They are however still present in the streaming version.
I must express gratitude to you: when I found that this site censored the indelicate words ***** and sometimes ************ I was curious as to the extent of the filter, yet was hesitant to put it to the test. Thank you for adding to our knowledge of our allowed lexicon.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I must express gratitude to you: when I found that this site censored the indelicate words ***** and sometimes ************ I was curious as to the extent of the filter, yet was hesitant to put it to the test. Thank you for adding to our knowledge of our allowed lexicon.
I can never tell if you’re being serious or not, you masterfully deadpan piece of kitchenware :p

Reactions: SupahEwok

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Been watching clips of House lately and I remember really enjoying it during its run, even though I didn't get much chance to watch beyond season 4 with much regularity (still think it's good, but not my favourite, but might be if I ever get to watch it all). So, aside from anime:

Yes, Minister (& by association, Yes, Prime Minister) - Nigel Hawthorne was brilliant in this series and the dynamic among the main cast was superb, and the one classic British comedy I actively encouraged my old man to buy.

Scrubs - loved this show and still do, great balance of character driven development and slice-of-life (apart from S9).

Futurama - I basically nicked my sister's copy of the DVD boxsets, she was pissy I watched them more than she did.

Dollhouse - took a bit to get going, liked the premise, wasted potential, but I still enjoyed it enough to rate it alongside Firefly

Castle
- 'cos Nathan Fillion doing Nathan Fillion things means I'm easy to please

Honourable mentions (because they're panel shows):

Call My Bluff (Sandi Toksvig and Alan Coren... in the same studio... what's not to love)
QI ('cos Stephen Fry)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Been watching clips of House lately and I remember really enjoying it during its run, even though I didn't get much chance to watch beyond season 4 with much regularity (still think it's good, but not my favourite, but might be if I ever get to watch it all).
IMO, House peaked in season 4 regardless.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That's pretty good for a fun romp

I got The 100 vibes, not Skins. Also, way too much forcing stupid situations where they get naked and thus sexy times. That being said, I only have access to the first season
I've seen all the Season to date and trust me the pay off for the 4 Season is ones of the most impactful emotional moments I've seen on TV for years. It's not the same emotions but it's Game of Thrones Red Wedding level of reaction

Reactions: Hawki

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
IMO, House peaked in season 4 regardless.
I've heard about that, since the original team comes and goes, Cuddy leaving in S8 divided the viewers (with no return in the last episode) and House not changing much (if at all) at a fundamental level (with later seasons veering towards being a broken Aesop of sorts), I can see why it tailed off for some. A lot are in it more for Wilson in later seasons, apparently, so the high point for most, as far as I can tell, is usually House's Head/Wilson's Heart (& I can see why).

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
I don't watch a lot of TV, so... I guess I can't even make a top 10. In no particular order:

Halt and Catch Fire
Dark
Lost
Archer
Breaking Bad
The Haunting of Hill House

Can I include South Park even though I haven't watched it in 20 years?

Edit:

So I went through my IMDB ratings, here's some other shows I've seen:

Black Mirror (some episodes are awful though)
Stranger Things (season 1 was great)
Chernobyl (great show)
Ozark (it's breaking bad, but worse)

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
-Pushing Daisies
Oh Man, I had forgotten about that show, it was so good, it's a shame it only ever got the one season but at least it was a really solid one season.

Anyways, I don't watch too many TV shows because I generally prefer short-form stories, so it's going to be mostly older stuff but I guess my favourites would be:
-Luther
-Community
-The Simpsons (Not all the show but you knew that, I said I don't watch much TV)
-Futurama
-Farscape (Which I only watched because someone in the old version of this forum recommended it to me when I was drunk and I ordered it off Amazon, worth it though)
-Psycho Pass (Season 1 specifically, season 2 was garbage and season 3 was not the same show at all.)
-Hibike! Euphonium (What can I say Kumiko is one of the very few protagonists I've ever found relatable.)

Off the top of my head that's all I can think about, but I'm sure there's other stuff I really like.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Pushing Daisies does have a 2nd season and an ending/conclusion (though a bit rushed).
It never aired in México, so I was unaware, I watched that back when I still watched TV, so I guess I'll have to look that up.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Pushing Daisies does have a 2nd season and an ending/conclusion (though a bit rushed).
Yeah while I'll give them credit for actually trying to tie everything up once they realised they were getting cancelled, not use cliffhangers to try and coax another season out of the network, the way they tied everything felt really thrown together

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Let's Make A Deal" and "The Price Is Right."

No, I'm not a retired elderly person; I'm quarantined and working from home. The highlight of every day for the past few months has been 9am-11am CST. They're just feel good shows; everyone's happy, cheering, and you get to see some of the Average Joes/Joans get their chance; you feel bad when they lose and great when they win. It has nothing to do with politics, this damn virus, the protests, etc.; it's a 2-hour window in which I get to step out of the world of today and enjoy looking back at a time when people could run down an aisle, high-five a stranger and be a dick by bidding $1 higher than the highest bidder.