Favorite VG music?

Slamhound

Aug 29, 2007
The first Front Mission's soundtrack is, perhaps, my absolute favourite. Plot-related pieces always nailed the atmosphere perfectly, combat tracks were catchy and perfectly arranged.

Truth be told, the whole thing (Written by Yoko Shimomura and Noriko Matsueda) is better than anything and everything Nobuo Uematsu has written. Square really should have dumped more cash on these guys to write more music for them and damn the fanboys.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
OblivionRising said:
The Metal Gear series has a beautiful score. My favorite is the ending theme to Metal Gear Solid/The Twin Snakes. I believe it's called "The Best is yet to Come."
Agreed. And another Metal game: Metal Slug.

I've also always had a fondness for the Half-Life 2 songs. The techno feel is just so unique to me.

mikelward

Oct 5, 2007
I can still remember the Bubble Bobble theme.

Other faves are Colonization, Civilization II, SimCity 3000, the intro to Day of the Tentacle, and "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be" from The Curse of Monkey Island (http://www.worldofmi.com/features/lyrics/index.php?id=6).

I also agree on the Quake soundtrack.

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
Capcom's Onimusha series has great music. Very evocative of the period.

God of War has a great soundtrack. Perfect for the game.

SOTC and Ico have already been mentioned, but I concur.

Oct 5, 2007
metal gear solid theme is annoyingly catchy, some of the final fantasy music is ok although no perticular song comes to mind.

oh and sonic and mario too

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
You know, the old Crash Banidcoots had great music. I really loved how the music changed from level to level.

Still Lee

Oct 11, 2007
Journey to Silius for NES is easily one of the best soundtracks of all-time. You probably never played it, and never will. Check out an excellent video review of the game here. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPSzYc7JHU]

The rest of the winners:
Final Fantasy VII
Xenogears
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VI
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Wild ARMs
Star Ocean: The 2nd Story
Mega Man 2
Bionic Commando
Wild ARMs 2

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
New faves: VLVX_song22, VLVX_song24. (first of which you can listen to at this YTMND: http://orangewins.ytmnd.com/ )

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Jesper Kyd's scores for the "Hitman" series. I own every one and have the bad habit of playing those scores during other games.

Oh yeah and Jesper Kyd's score for "Freedom Fighters".

Michael Giacchino's score for "Mercenaries" was worth buying.

"Bioshock" has a pretty solid score. The version of "Beyond the Sea" that plays in the bathysphere is a Django Reinhardt & Stephan Grappelli piece. They are two of my favorite musicians and it made me happy to hear it in a game.

I am a sucker for the intro themes for the "GTA" series.

The "Max Payne" scores were solid.

The original theme for "Final Fantasy" always makes me happy.

Amon Tobin's score for "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" was a welcome addition to my collection.

The "Okami" score is a lot of fun.

The scores and especially the Main Theme from the "Katamari" games are a hoot. It's really difficult not to start "Na nanananana na na na nana na".

"Grim Fandango"

The "Metroid" series is classic as is "Zelda".

The score for the first "Silent Hill" especially the blooper end credits track.

And my personal favorite score: "Shadowrun" for the SNES. I just love it. I have it stuck in my head a lot.

Dr Sloth

Oct 21, 2007
I thought the Dead Rising soundtrack was pretty good, it was mainly present in the boss fights (psychopaths for any one who has played it lol) and it did a great job of pumping you up. My favorite bit was when you strayed out into the park after dark and the convicts were out there, when you heard the ominous music you instantly knew that there was gonna be trouble.

anver

Sep 9, 2007
I'm extremely fond of Jesper Kyd's work for the Hitman games. I'm looking forward to the Assassin's Creed and Kane & Lynch soundtracks.

As for non-original soundtracks, I'd have to say Fallout 1 & 2 (though I actually like I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire more than Maybe) and GTA III, VC & SA.

slapme7times

Oct 21, 2007
metroid prime 1,
a little bit of prime 2 - though prime 2 the game actually sucked though...

zelda ocarina of time, majora's mask, wind waker.

halo,

mgs2 harry gregson williams

super mario 64

May 22, 2007
Off the top of my mind, I'd say

Fallout - Mark Morgan's incredible ambient soundtracks not only set the tone, but are impressive and chilling on their own.
Planescape: Torment - And Mark Morgan strikes again.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Excellent music all around and the best in the series, with Super Castlevania IV coming in in second.
System Shock 2 - While I don't care much for that electronic stuff, Eric Brosius did a hell of a job on this soundtrack.
Arcanum - Dissed by many, loved by few. Guess which camp I'm in? Ben Houge composed some fantastic pieces for this.
Baldur's Gate 2 / Throne of Bhaal - Inon Zur. Epic feel done right, Jeremy Soule can bugger off. There's not a whole lot more to say.
Hitman - Jesper Kyd rocks.

Jacques 2

Oct 8, 2007
Bioshock:
The Ocean on his Shoulders
Welcome to Rapture
Cohen's Masterpiece
The Engine City
Portal:
Still Alive
World in Conflict
Rule the World (inserted 80s song)
Koop Island Blues (inserted Blues song by Koop)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
various
Beyond Good & Evil
Propaganda
Various
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Various

VideoGameFan

Oct 10, 2007
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War - The Unsung War, as well as Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War - The Journey Home, are two of my favorite music, that were the greatest, in my opinion. Of Course, there are good music, too.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Jacques 2 said:
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Various
While the game's whole art style sucked, there was one track I did particularly like. It plays at the game's installation screen (on PC) and in one of the first areas. I'm still wondering how I can work it into the soundtrack of one of my videos.

Oct 22, 2007
check out gamemusiccentral.com

super CD with all the killer game music composers. great music plus they give you pictures and autographs of the musicians.

the mighty quinn

Robomanjr

Oct 25, 2007
I love the old games where the musics like that really epic guitar rifts; just made you want to do something crazy.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
The entire score from the original Guikld Wars is fantastic. I don't play the game anymroe but i listen to the music at leat once a week. Maybe its because i am growing to like classical music but i really enjoy it as a change from what i normally listen to.

Also twilight_dweller didn't Guitar Hero win a best music award recently? Or was that GH2?