Favorite Video Game Weapons?

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
If we've had this thread recently, please merge this thread with that one.

With that out of the way... Yeah, favorite weapons from video games. I'm sure we've all got a few that we like above the rest. I'm going to come out and state that this has to be FICTIONAL arms only, because there are so many games out there that use real weapons that it might get hard to tell which iteration of a gun you're talking about.

So let's bust open our armories and show off the weapons we felt were best. Here are my picks:

#1: Kassa Fabrications M-12 Locust, Mass Effect 2: ME2 specifically because it got nerfed into the dirt in ME3, which is a damned shame. But honestly, this was my go-to weapon for the times I played ME2 as something other than a Soldier(though I only ever played Infiltrator and Sentinel, and my main was still a Soldier). It pretty much obsoleted every assault rifle in the game that wasn't the M-76 Revenant: better DPS and accuracy than any of the full auto rifles, with more ammo than the burst-fire M-15 Vindicator or semi-auto M-96 Mattock. It also had the same damage multiplier against Armor as the regular ARs, at the expense of its damage multiplier against Shields and Barriers being the same as that of ARs. It made Assault Rifle Training on the Collector Cruiser a waste since the Locust performed better at medium range than the full auto rifles, while shotguns gave you better close combat performance and sniper rifles gave you better long range.

#2: AER-9 Laser Rifle, Fallout 3: Never was interested in the older Interplay Fallout games, and I haven't played either New Vegas or FO4 yet. But I'm just going to say: The AER-9 is one of the most reliable weapons I've ever used in a game. It's pin-point accurate, hits fairly hard, fires swiftly for a semi-auto. Oh, and those beams hit instantly. It's basically a direct upgrade to the Hunting Rifle, with barely less damage in exchange for a much larger capacity and semi-automatic fire instead of the bolt action operation of the Hunting Rifle. Once the Enclave shows up in force, there's really no reason to not switch to the Laser Rifle full time. Well, except for interior fights. Then, you'll need a shotgun. Or a Plasma Rifle if you're fighting the Enclave.

#3: Neutron Assault Rifle, Transformers: War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron: There's a reason this gun is so widely issued among both the Decepticons and Autobots: It's an effective and reliable mid-range assault rifle with decent accuracy, high fire rate and good damage. There are better weapons for more specialized roles, but none of them match up to the versatility of the NAR. The Photon Burst Rifle and WfC's Energon Battle Pistol are both more effective at long range, while the Scatter Blaster and EMP Shotgun are better up close; but none of them have the mid-range versatility that the NAR brings to the table. You're going to notice a pattern here of me favoring mid-range weapons...

#4: Naboo N-1 Starfighter, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron trilogy: Okay, so it's a vehicle instead of a weapon. Flame me. While I could do with a different paint job than that ugly yellow, and I'm not a fan of the chrome nose, I have to admit that this is one beautiful aircraft to look at. Its sleek lines and smooth curves disguise just how lethal this bird really is. It's as fast and agile as, if not possibly faster and more agile than, the A-Wing and TIE Interceptor. But it's as tough as an X-Wing, complete with astromech droid for in-flight repairs. And it was even worse back in the original Rogue Squadron, back on the N64. Back then, most of the starfighters' guns had really slow fire rates. The N-1's guns had an insanely high fire rate that shredded everything you met. Plus it had more torpedoes than the X-Wing, as if it needed another advantage. At least it was hidden behind a cheat code... But if you knew that code, it was easily the most powerful ship in the game.

#5: STG-60, Wolfenstein: The New Order: Another mid-range automatic, except this one comes with an under-barrel revolving cylinder rocket launcher. It's nowhere near as strong as an actual shoulder-fired launcher, but it still makes a hell of a mess. The main fire mode is just another reliable mid-range assault rifle, nothing that fancy. Well, except for the fact that Blazkowicz is strong enough to wield one in each hand. You need to clear a room of Nazis in a hurry, there's not much better. Well, there's the shotgun, but that's even more ridiculous. Twin belt-fed 12 gauge assault shotguns on full auto without losing control of them? I get that BJ is strong, but damn.

Now if I had left real-world weapons as an option, I'd have certainly cited the Call of Duty 4 M4A1 Carbine and MP5. Yep, more reliable mid-range automatics. And I have to ask: Has there ever been a game where the MP5 is outright bad? I remember it being pretty much the second best SMG in Far Cry 3, only beaten out by the "BZ-19"(a PP-19 Bizon), mainly because they strangely gave the Bizon better damage and range, as well as access to a scope.

But anyway, what about the rest of you? What are your favorite weapons from video games?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
fallout 4.. plasma thrower.. basically a plasma flame thrower.. turns things into a bright green goo and kills people in power armour in about 3 seconds

mass effect 3 and andromeda.. the N7 crusader shotgun. fires a single slug with cover penetrating properties. insanely powerful and oh look you brought a bullet resistant shield with you.. how adorabe BOOM. helps that it works as a sniper rifle in 3 as well and tends to one shot most things in andromeda

crusader series. the microwave gun. liquifies the flesh off the body and reduces the victim to a skeleton in a puddle on the ground

fallout 3 onwards.. the fatman.. cant help but love a portable nuclear catapult

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Mmmm...many of my fondest teenage memories involved nailing dudes to the wall with the HV Penetrator in FEAR.

For those not in the know, it's basically a scaled-up nailgun that fires depleted uranium rods at about the same velocity as a bullet. Killing a Replica soldier with it would typically pin them to the nearest wall.

That might be why I also liked the crossbow in Half-Life 2. There's just something about firing a bolt of superheated concrete rebar that appeals to me.

I'm also a big fan of anything that deals huge amounts of damage in a single shot. Halo: CE's shotgun is a personal favorite of mine for that reason.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The DMR from Halo Reach cause fuck burst fire.

Fallout series: Plasma Rifle. In the Bethesda games it takes awhile to get usually, but by then I have a couple thousand rounds available, then it becomes my only weapon. Goo all the things!

The Elder Scrolls: Goldbrand, cause its a flaming golden katana. I hope the next TES has it.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I haven't played it in almost 20 years but still recall the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil was probably the first that dropped my jaw.

Let's see, where is this beaut....oh yes, it's right here -

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Don't know. But I'm sick and tired of Japanese swords being in everything, as I said in my Off-topic thread.
but they are the best swords in the world! and are like all edgy and cool right???? :D

give me a Zweih?nder. a huge ass two handed sword, if you are going to hit someone with a sword do it properly and cut them in half and the horse they are riding as well

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I fondly remember Dead Space as always having some fantastic weapon design. You could make a list just from the Dead Space guns.

For single weapons, I'd probably go with the Hek in Warframe. Shotgun with such a tight spread you can use it as a sniper rifle, insane fire rate for a semi-automatic gun (maybe 3 times a second), and amongst the highest DPS of anything in the game. It is, A BEAST.

Alternatively from the Horror-FPS Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth is the last weapon in the game - the Yithian Lighning Canon. Which is basically what if you brought an inst-kill version of Samus' arm canon into Resident Evil. It has infinite ammo, and blows the SHIT out of everything and the game may as well be over once you get it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I can think of a bunch from Resistance: Fall of Man

1) Bullseye: A sub-machine gun that lets you fire a marking beacon so all your shots home in on your enemy. Land this shot and you can now hit him with 100% accuracy with blind fire from across the room

2) Augur: A gun that shoots energy projectiles that pass through all solid material. It also lets you erect forcefields as secondary fire.

3) LAARK: A rocket launcher that lets you stop your rocket in mid-air and change its direction. If a guy is behind cover, you can shoot it into the sky and then have it dive bomb him from above. If you're fighting an enemy with a weak spot on its back, shoot the rocket past it and then have the rocket turn around and hit the enemy from behind.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The Groovatron from Ratchet and Clank. Throw one out there and force enemies to dance to disco against their will.

I think some people would consider that a war crime.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Rail Gun is ball in a lot of games, but it's the ultimate mofo in the first Red Faction (especially fun since the AI goons can one-shot you too).

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Morph gun; Jak 2+3. Why have 1 gun when you can have a weapon with 4 different firing modes? And then later 12 modes. Everything from shotgun, to ricocheting semi-auto rifle, to homing vulkan cannon, to plasma ball launcher, to grenade launcher, to gravity manipulator, shockwave generator, automated hovering attack drone launcher, lightning gun and mini-nuke launcher.

Gravity Gun; Half-Life 2. A true classic. Weaponise EVERYTHING! Explosive barrels and sawblades are particularly effective. Then later upgrades to being able to just zap enemies with pure energy and ragdoll them huge distances, and also rip pretty much anything up to be thrown around.

Flak Cannon; Unreal Tournament. You like grenade launchers right? Of course you do. Well how about a grenade launcher that can also detonate the explosive inside the weapon itself and just fire the burning hot shrapnel at your enemies? Now we're talkin'! You can even ricochet the debris round corners, shredding your enemies to pieces without even having to look them in the eye as the suffer what must be a truly excruciating death.

Rocket Launcher; also Unreal Tournament. We've all seen rocket launchers before, but I've never seen one quite so versatile as the one from the original UT. Single shot direct line impact detonation mode? Check. Bouncing time delayed fuse mode for shooting around corners? Check. Ability to load up to 6 missiles fired in a horizontal spread for covering large areas? Check. Ability to fire up to 6 bouncing time delayed nades at once to rain death over an area? Check. How about firing up to 6 missiles in a much tighter spread for maximum damage on a single target? Double check. Oh, and it all comes with a homing feature, which is nice.

Boneduster; Bulletstorm. How many barrels does a shotgun really need? The Boneduster believes 4 is an adequate amount, and I quite agree, as this fucker blasts pretty much anything across the room with monumental force. Technically it's not a shotgun, as it actually fires compressed air, but it does it with 4 barrels and enough force to break every bone in your body, which is much, much worse than a regular shotgun... for the guy getting shot. Oh and it also has an incendiary shot mode, because why the fuck not?!

I'm probably forgetting many, many, many more. And this is just the guns, don't even get me started on some of my favourite melee weapons from something like Warframe (it's the Tonbo, the staggeringly fast and deadly polearm) or any of the other guns from that game (Soma Prime to look like a boss, Paris Prime or perhaps Dread if you fancy a bit of archery and want to pin about 8 guys to the wall with a single arrow, Tonkor for when you absolutely MUST kill every fucking thing in the room).

Honorable mention; The Electrodriver; Painkiller. It's the gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. You know the one. I don't need to elaborate further.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
The Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament. It's a shotgun with pellets that ricochet and a grenade launcher. What's not to love?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Farsight: (alien railgun with colourful, wall-transcending vision). Perfect Dark.

Reaper: (alien minigun who's spinning barrel is also a nasty meat grinder). Perfect Dark.

Dragon: (normal assault-rifle that can be thrown as a deceptive proximity mine). Perfect Dark.

Slayer: (Alien rocket-launcher with directed, camera-mounted rockets. But more control than most other games allow). [small]Perfect Dark[/small].

Laptop gun: (Transforming machine gun, turns into mini-turret and sticks to any surface). P...Okay, last gun from the game: K7 avenger. Very shiny, very loud, very effective.

Saber-tooth beast: Yes, the actual cat. Took ages to achieve in FC Primal on survival mode, but it makes me feel all warm and cosy inside when I'm plodding around the wilderness looking for human prey. Doesn't do great in crowds though.

The pixelator: Ratchet and clank, does what it says on the pixelator...It pixelates.

Tethers: Just Cause 3. The fun needn't end with creative slingshot ambitions.

Sword-hammer: Bloodborne.

Sword-greatsword: Bloodborne.

Mini-nuke: Turok 2. (Not overcompensating at all, definitely never, nope).

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Another one for the pile;

Bloodborne's Threaded Cane
A normal stick that can be used to beat fools with over the head, but it can transform into a whip with little blades on it.

Although Bloodborne is full of awesome weapons actually...

Apr 5, 2008
ME2 & 3 - Claymore. Combined with Biotic Charge (and in 3, Nova), the Claymore offers the most satisfying experience in the shooting dept from any game of the era.

Payday 2 - Mosconi 12G, GL30. I obviously like my shotties. The GL30 tho is a wonderful weapon. The feeling of launching a grenade, knowing you judged the distance and arc perfectly as you fire, but then turning around and not watching, just hearing the bang and knowing you nailed it, it is joyous.

Dark Souls 2 - Silverblack Spear/Partizan. I don't know why they had to ruin it in DS3, but in DS2 at least, it saw me through from start to finish. Or rather, from Earthen Peak to finish.

Dark Souls 3 - Freida's Scythe. after the travesty that was the entire reaper class in DS2, to find this pure gem in the DLC after my first playing since release was amazing. I want this weapon in every game.

Borderlands 1/2 - Maliwan Hellfire (with either Lilith or Hellborn Krieg). I like my Pyro in games, and this SMG with those two characters was magnificent. Apart from the shitty scaling in BL2 OP levels that broke it :-(

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Dark Souls 1 & 3, and to muuuuuch lesser extent 2: Dragonslayer Spear. (And to a much lesser extent the swordspear in 3) High damage, high reach, great stat scaling, great flavor.