Favourite album covers!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Porcupine Tree, Coma Devine
http://www.gmvrecords.com/showpic.aspx?img=453800011281.jpg

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
My favourite album cover is Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane. I have a signed (with a personal greeting) and authorized 1x1m print from the original artist. The print is without the band logo.

The low-res image does not do it justice at all.
It is a bit dramatic (and some would say too much so) but it does fit the feeling of the music perfectly.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I'm surprised no one's cited The Clash's London Calling yet. It's massively iconic, and it perfectly sums up the album.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008

This album just had like no place being anywhere in anytime for fitting in. It stood alone. But man did it ever freaking rock hard.

It's not my favorite album cover, close. But it certainly stuck out in my mind to put it here.

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
(First time spoilering/embedding stuff so it may not work)

[ spoiler=One of my favourites ] [ img ]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laaaktGI5k1qbf371.jpg[ /img ]
[ /spoiler]

[ spoiler=Really fits the atmosphere of the album ][ img ] http://www.thesirenssound.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Godspeed-F-A-Infinity-300x300.jpg[ /img ][ /spoiler]

[ spoiler=All time favourite album cover of all time ] [ img ] http://www.poplife.info/Bilder/703860.JPG [ /img ]

Edit: didn't seem to work :/

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
Of the ones I can think of right now, here are some of my favorites.

About the Tool album I get a picture that says "Stop stealing my bandwith and upload to your own site thanks." Workaround at all?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I love these threads so much.

...That'll do for now. There's endless others I could post, but those (especially the Yes ones) appeal to me the most.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Pretty much ALL Iron Maiden covers are godlike... It's just... It's Maden...

But I have to say I have a special place in my heart for one album cover:

It is just so clever... it spawned the "Paul is dead" rumor [www.turnmeondeadman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=19].

And the main symbolism (disregarding the nutty "FIND MEANING IN EVERYTHING!!" conspiracy theory crap) it's sooo subtle, with so many beautifully conceived details. First look tells you it's just the Beatles crossing a road... Then you realize that it's a funeral procession. Dead man walking. Beautiful.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Froken Keke said:
I have the actual red book version of that album, it's very cool. Looks pretty on my shelf :)

ChupathingyX said:
I always liked Ayreon's albums; they have that interesting fantasy-sci-fi artwork feel to them...
Those are awesome. Love covers that take your mind away on a journey with the music. what kinda stuff they do?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I can't really provide an explanation as to why i like it so much. I just feel like it fits well with the dark-ish theme of the songs on the album. (And what an awesome album!) Plus it was the first thing that came to mind when i thought about cover art so even my subconscience must've thought it was a good one :)

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Froken Keke said:
I have the actual red book version of that album, it's very cool. Looks pretty on my shelf :)

ChupathingyX said:
I always liked Ayreon's albums; they have that interesting fantasy-sci-fi artwork feel to them...
Those are awesome. Love covers that take your mind away on a journey with the music. what kinda stuff they do?

About the Ayreon question, from what I know:

All the Ayreon albums take place in this universe where each album has an overarching theme across the entire story, Human Equation (the only one I've actually heard) is about this dude waking up in hospital and going from there...

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
Noala said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Froken Keke said:

ChupathingyX said:

About the Ayreon question, from what I know:

All the Ayreon albums take place in this universe where each album has an overarching theme across the entire story, Human Equation (the only one I've actually heard) is about this dude waking up in hospital and going from there...

Forgot to mention, each album has tons of other metal/rock guest stars, I know in one album Jonas Renske (Katatonia) was in there, and in Human Equation James LaBrie provides vocals.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I love all the artwork from Parkway Drive- Deep Blue. In fact, all of Dan Mumford's art is brilliant.
http://www.dan-mumford.com/index.php?id=281

So damned good!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
cool. Looks pretty on my shelf :)

ChupathingyX said:
[user]Noala[/user] explained it nicely.

Ayreon isn't really a band however, it's Arjen Lucassen and he basically hires various artists and the songs are sung by them.

All of his albums are part of an over-arching story (except for Actual Fantasy) about a machine built by the last humans to relive past people. The songs thenselves do have a fantasy/sci-fi feel to them which fits the covers.

The songs themseves usually have an alternative-progressive-metal-opera style that is mixed up quite a bit throughout the songs. One of the songs in The Human Equation even features a didgeridoo which isn't an instrument you hear very often.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
JdaS said:
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists Snip
You think that's ugly, how about these two:

An incredible album, but damn these guys are ugly!

My least favourite Therapy? album and I absolutely hate the cover. Thankfully they've picked up the slack with recent releases.

OT: I don't think any of my choices could beat some of the insane covers already posted (the sci-fi inspired ones are incredible) but here's a few of my favourites from my collection.

Works so nicely with the name of the album.

Pretty simple. I think I love the cover moreso because I love the album. Plus...it's a hoe. A HOE!

I love the art style...

Just look at it. Probably my favourite minimalistic album cover. Plus it's a truly astounding album.

Only recently got into this album but damn, it's mean. The cover perfectly encapsulates the anger and madness within.

Not sure what's going on here but I love it. Colourful and somehow poignant at the same time.

Another crazy cover from RX Bandits...

Not the hardcore outfit's best album but definitely their best album cover. A little google search and I've found out that Coverge's vocalist, Jacob Bannan, created the cover for This Is Hell. I love it even more now lol.

So that's a pretty long list but I'm done now...hopefully at least some people have had a look at all of them, and some other opinions would be great too! If I had to choose one album cover from the list as my favourite it would likely be between White Pony or Sundowning...

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009

Also every Coheed and Cambria album.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Can't beat Judas Priests Painkiller cover. Amazingly amazing album, and awesome cover.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009

Just to name a few.