Favourite anime protagonist

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Retsam19 said:
This guy.

I mean, it helps that Trigun is my favorite anime ever. But, the character of Vash is a good part of why Trigun is my favorite anime. Besides for the fact that he's a lot of fun, you really grow in your understanding of the character; he's one of the few characters who succeeds at being deeply characterized and hilarious.
Oh Vash, you're so great... both by being fun and by making LOVE AND PEACE seem like the considerably more badass path than murder and violence...

Personally I'm going to go with my all time favorite...

Black Mage Extraordinaire! The Dragon Spooker! The Bandit Killer! Ms. Lina Inverse!

Yeah definitely showing my age here but I love Lina as a character, vain, greedy, gluttonous, mercurial, intelligent, heroic, powerful, brave... Lina is pretty damn three dimensional and for me is the gold standard for female characters in fiction.

As far as other protagonists I'm very fond of...

The Elric Brothers, it's so nice to see a pair of intelligent male anime heroes... they are SO damn rare... also doesn't hurt that I find their personal journey and growth so engaging.

Lupin the 3rd (Miyazaki Edition), I have trouble taking the cynicism of the proper Monkey Punch character but Hayao Miyazaki's take that makes the thief more lovable and heroic has been a big inspiration to all of my own character writing.

Nausicaa, while she is super cool and makes pacifism look as badass as Vash does she's too much of a nearly perfect savior/saint character. I guess my real "love" of this character comes from her design, she just looks so damn cool.

Alita/Gally, I really love this character, a Badass cyborg martial artist with both a great deal of coolness and a lot of flaws and vulnerabilities.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
solemnwar said:
I also like Tatsumi Saiga (Speed Grapher), but I think that's partly because of my age disparity fetish >>;; But it's interesting how he's the only character who receives powers and doesn't go completely morally bankrupt. Although that might be because he wasn't morally bankrupt to begin with, not sure about the other characters.
I'm fond of Saiga as well since he manages to be a good guy despite his creepy kink... adds some positivity to a very dark series.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Shinji Ikari.

Yes, him. I just love his character and his struggle and the events he goes through and I sympathise with him alot. I know a lot of people hate him because he is "apparantely whiny" (which I think he is not) but... I dunno. I love his character.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Hm... Ever hear of an anime called Best student council? Well, the protag there, a girl named Rino Rando, always walks around with a hand puppet. When that puppet punches people, they light on fire.

On the other hand, I sure do love Franken Fran, from the series of the same name, and Ai Enma Hell Girl, and they're pretty similar too, being horror stories with cute female protagonists and a "be careful what you wish for" thing. But where Fran is bubbly and fun, Ai is distant and cold

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, Guts is a close second but he can't match the raw awesome that is Kenshiro. He pokes at twenty feet tall raiders and they violently explode, what's not to love?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Only one right answer
What can I say, I like the dumb quirky stuff.

EDIT:
Followed by...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
(points to my avatar)

[http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Fuu_Phoenix/media/GirlGamers_FuuHououji_zps1cd698ea.jpg.html]

Fuu Hououji, one of the three heroines of Magic Knight Rayearth. She's smart, quick thinking, wise beyond her years, and a calm, collected nerdy type, with a sword 50% longer than she is tall, a winged magic god/mecha and the command of wind magic for healing, defence, attack and trapping the enemy.

Its just a shame the tv series liked to keep hitting her and Umi with the idiot, coward and distress balls so Hikaru could look super awesome.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
RogueportJack said:
I'm gonna get some hate for this, especially cause I don't watch a ton of anime, but Goku. Not the deepest character, no, but he's simultaneously heroic and inspiring while also being a huge dumbass manchild. He's just a fun character.
Why would you get hate for this? I agree wholeheartedly. If there was ever a fictional character I wish I could be like, it'd be Goku. ...well except maybe for his utter cluelessness, but that's one of the reasons why I love him.
Thirded. Despite being so damn powerful, he is so humble about it. He may appear to be dumb some of the times, but he is surprisingly wise and serious when the sitiuation calls for it. Always suppoting his friends, sparing his enemies (slapping some sense into them in the process) and being an all around positive guy.

I guess what I am trying to say is, he is pretty darn likeable.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Eureka from Eureka seveN.

There's a lot riding on this little lady's shoulders that may not seem apparent at first glance.

She's the first humanoid from the alien race of Coralians, sent as a blank slate in order to better observe and understand the human race as a whole, as well as to better emulate herself as a human. She is, unfortunately, found first by the government and trained to both pilot large mechs with organic innards called LFOs, as well as a soldier to purge rebels of the state.

She is completely devoid of emotion and completely obedient, until she finds three young orphans and decided to raise them as their mother. She escapes the military and with the aid of other defected members, decides to lead a resistance against the military.

It is later revealed that she holds a special connection with the Coralian "master brain" and that she alone must decide whether the human race and Earth are worth saving; a choice that is made clearly with the aid of Renton, a boy she makes a connection with and discovers true human emotions with.

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
Mine is the great mad scientist Okabe Rintarou I find his antics hilarious and admire him the thing he had done to save his friends.