Favourite Black Comedies?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Heathers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2OPV6iuk2o

And anything by Terry Gilliam: Brasil, Fear & Loathing...anything.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
Did no one else enjoy Death to Smoochy but me I thought it was pretty dang funny I think it was Robin Williams funniest movies?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URj1lQ-D8v8

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
Gorfias said:
Spikethebloody said:
My vote for best black comedy has to go to Severance

Good movie. It is on Netflix streaming. I liked Deadly Snow (2009) better. Very much the same kind of humor, but I'm glad you pointed me in the direction of Severance. It was easily worth a watch.

Yeah,Dead snow is really good as-well, although the ending kind of sucked.

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
just remembered a two more good black-comedies.

Black sheep is really funny,if you dont mind a lot of blood.

cockneys vs zombies is worth a watch if you like Shaun of the dead mixed with snatch.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Glad to see I'm not the only one who misinterpreted that title at first.

Well it's not quite my favorite, but Cabin in the Woods is damn good and hasn't been mentioned yet.

drzoidbergmd

Aug 14, 2008
Absolutely has to be Waking Ned Devine. It's like Weekend At Bernie's only everyone is septuagenarian, Irish, and rather than throwing a party, they masquerade as their deceased neighbor to win the lottery.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
I'm too lazy to check if anyone else said it but does Kiss Kiss Bang Bang count? It had some dark moments but it was definitely mainly a comedy if not then 7 psychopaths is really good, I really need to watch In Bruges one of the days...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Spikethebloody said:
Gorfias said:
Spikethebloody said:
My vote for best black comedy has to go to Severance

Good movie. It is on Netflix streaming. I liked Deadly Snow (2009) better. Very much the same kind of humor, but I'm glad you pointed me in the direction of Severance. It was easily worth a watch.

Yeah,Dead snow is really good as-well, although the ending kind of sucked.
They are getting a sequel though!

"In 2012, following the release of his first big-studio film, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Wirkola announced the sequel to Dead Snow, titled Dead Snow: War of the Dead." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Snow

I did not know Hansel and Gretel was him. I may have to see it even if Movie Bob was meh on it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Salvius said:
You want dark comedy? Let me introduce you to Little Murders.

How could I forget, hell, how could I forget Lt Practice?

We are involved here in a far reaching conspiracy to undermine our most basic beliefs and sacred institutions. Who's behind this conspiracy? Once again ask yourself who has the most to gain. People in high places, their names would astound you! People in low places, concealing their activities beneath a cloak of poverty! People of all walks of life, left wing and right wing. Black and white. Students and scholars. A conspiracy of such ominous proportion that we will never, never know the whole story and we'll never be able to reveal all the facts! We are readying mass arrests. I am going to see that you people get every possible break. If there is any information you would like to contribute at this time, it will be held in the strictest confidence....[runs out of front door].

Little Murders and The In-Laws (like I said, I love a good farce) is how I came to recognize the genius of Alan Arkin.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Simon [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393775/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2], a comedy about a guy dying of cancer. And a truly good movie. It's in Dutch though, so not really accesible to everyone.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
octafish said:
Salvius said:
You want dark comedy? Let me introduce you to Little Murders.

How could I forget, hell, how could I forget Lt Practice?

We are involved here in a far reaching conspiracy to undermine our most basic beliefs and sacred institutions. Who's behind this conspiracy? Once again ask yourself who has the most to gain. People in high places, their names would astound you! People in low places, concealing their activities beneath a cloak of poverty! People of all walks of life, left wing and right wing. Black and white. Students and scholars. A conspiracy of such ominous proportion that we will never, never know the whole story and we'll never be able to reveal all the facts! We are readying mass arrests. I am going to see that you people get every possible break. If there is any information you would like to contribute at this time, it will be held in the strictest confidence....[runs out of front door].

Little Murders and The In-Laws (like I said, I love a good farce) is how I came to recognize the genius of Alan Arkin.
Added to my Netflix queue. Love Alan Arkin. I can't believe how different he looked in comparison to how he looked in 1971, compared to, say, "Little Miss Sunshine". I can't believe I never heard of this. Looks very interesting.

Oddly, another person posted a movie called "Happiness". I mistook it for something that is NOT funny: "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing". It has Alan Arkin in it!

EDIT: The conversations regard happiness.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Well, I think your point is true for most movies here. It's not so much comedy that is the goal, just a lot of dark jokes written into the story they are trying to tell, jokes which will have you thinking: ''Should I laugh at this, or be disturbed that I am asking myself this question?'' I see Lord of War much the same way as I see Portal: really good, and the pitch black humor is really what makes it work.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I didn't have an answer for this thread until today even though I've been lurking it for a few. Today I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. There's the answer.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I watched Kickass yesterday and that's a pretty enjoyable black-comedy. Never before have I seen a death-scene so sad yet hilarious.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
suitepee7 said:
theparsonski said:
to be honest, most films with brendan gleeson are hilariously dark. ever seen the guard?

This. Most definetly this. I lvoed this movei, it proved to me that one of my colleagues at work had a sense of humour.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
drzoidbergmd said:
Absolutely has to be Waking Ned Devine. It's like Weekend At Bernie's only everyone is septuagenarian, Irish, and rather than throwing a party, they masquerade as their deceased neighbor to win the lottery.
I'll need to see that, my friend is in love with the version of "The Parting Glass" they use in the movie.
OT: In Bruge is a fantastic movie. My second-favorite black comedy is Thank You for Smoking, where Aaron Eckhart plays a lobbyist for the tobacco industry whose job is to lie to everyone to convince them smoking isn't bad for you. The book is even better, but the movie does have this scene.