Favourite Developers of Yesteryear

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Isalan said:
Just for you a link the original version of the track from Xenon 2 (which was called Xenon Megablast in the UK apparently)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMZabvOcCc&feature=colike

P.S. Embedding is too difficult to work out at 4 in the morning ;)
I had a demo of that on the Acorn!

It was no Stunt Racer 2000 though.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Bertylicious said:
I can relate to that. I had a similar experience when I played Deus Ex; in the China missions there was a bartender with whom you could have a conversation about democracy versus communism, weak government versus strong government. It blew my tiny mind.

It was a transendental moment in my gaming life when up till that point the most revelatory gaming experience had been graduating from poo and bum to dick and cum.

Honestly there it is probably a thread in and of itself in looking at formative experiences in gaming.
Well I'm glad we came to an understanding and I'm also glad to know that there are people with similar experiences.

History was never taught in my primary school so video games basically served as my introduction.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c5/Infogrames_logo.svg/188px-Infogrames_logo.svg.png

They made good games for Amiga.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Lucem712 said:
Isalan said:
Just for you a link the original version of the track from Xenon 2 (which was called Xenon Megablast in the UK apparently)

Enjoy!

No problem, mate. I can help you out!
Ah sweet memories, thanks for that. Didn't realize it was Bomb the Bass though, that makes it even cooler.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Irem, hands down. R-Type has always been my favorite shmup series, though, so no real surprise there.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
looking glass studios and ion storm without a doubt.for my money they did more for first person shooters and first person perspective games in general than epic ID ad bungie ever managed.

oh and talking about epic,epic.they go from making unreal tournament to being the poster boy for brown chest high wall simulators.

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
I'd have to agree with those who have said Troika. All three of their games had something awesome about them, and while they all had their rough edges as well, there has always been something about Troika's games that captures my imagination. VTM: Bloodlines is probably my second favorite game of all time (after Fallout 2).

Black Isle and old school Bioware would probably be on the list too (although I tend to think of Obsidian as being the continuation of Black Isle).

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Squaresoft.

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX.

What has Square-Enix done with the Square properties?

Final Fantasy X-2? Final Fantasy XIII?

Excuse me while I puke.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
You know who I miss? Humongous Entertainment. Games like Backyard Baseball and Putt-Putt and Pajama Sam were the foundations of my childhood. I really wish the Backyard series could revert to its old form. I really just don't like the art style of the more modern games.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Bullfrog. I could play the Super NES Theme Park all day. So I'm going to dig out the wires and give it a go. :>

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Pandemic, for the pure, unadulterated awesomeness that was Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

Ensemble Studios, for the brilliant Age of Empires series. Always preferred Age of Kings/Conquerors to the others, but they were all good. Also for Age of Mythology, another brilliant one, which got me interested in Greek mythology.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Lucem712 said:
Isalan said:

Enjoy!

No problem, mate. I can help you out!
Cheers for that dude ;)

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Bertylicious said:
AnotherAvatar said:
It's been said, but I'll say it too: Troika. They made what might be one of the best RPGs ever.

I feel like with all the fan love that old team should really get together and make a kickstarter.
Thirded. Also I dunno if you'd find this compelling:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2
I'm quite excited about this, shame I'm a starving musician or I'd donate. I've always been a big fan of post apocalyptic survival.

A_Play_On_Words

Feb 8, 2012
Bullfrog and Black Isle, Squaresoft and Capcom, Troika (would that Arcanum could get the same love that Fallout did. I'd play a Magic/Steampunk FPS RPG any time they're ready to give me one. On, And V:tM BL, much Malk love to them for that.), LucasArts (when they made good games... and good Star Wars games, no less. I would give someone else's right arm to play a new X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, even in an Ace Combat style.)

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
AnotherAvatar said:
It's been said, but I'll say it too: Troika. They made what might be one of the best RPGs ever.

I feel like with all the fan love that old team should really get together and make a kickstarter.
Indeed! Arcanum is still one of my favourite RPGs & still one of the most challenging!
Quite afew of the riginal team left and joined Obsidian though I think only one of the Troika founders Tim Cain has stayed & is a lead designer there!

Speaking of Obsidian I have to say Black Isle was one of my favourite developers! I've pretty much played (and owned) everything they have done!

Also I would have to say SEGA when they were a developing powerhouse! About 70% of the games for the Master System were made by SEGA & nearly 50% for the Megadrive! They made (in my opnion) the best version of Double Dragon. Though they did that because of the problems they had with 3rd party developers! I just wonder why they stopped? They made alot of brilliant games!