Favourite fictional currency?

Aug 19, 2010
Shinsei-J said:
Pohaturon said:
Shinsei-J said:
Pokemon cards...
an internet cookies for the first person to get this.
EDIT: 1. attempt : fail
2. : Anthony saves the world, right?
Correct!
*hands tray*
Help yourself to a cookie.
Though with that first attempt I was all ready to come here and shoot down your answer.
I actually watched that episode of AStW to make sure...

*munches away at cookie*

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Shinsei-J said:
The Wykydtron said:
Hey I was just recommended S&W by a friend last week (or as I like the call it, Suspicious Business Deals: The Anime.) I'm on episode 5 and it's looking pretty good. This and Hyouka proves that you can make anything interesting if you present it in the right way. Come on, whole scenes on currency comparison? That should be boring as fuck. Nope, good writing haterz.
I've actually described it to someone as the most exciting economics lesson they'll ever have, told them the story, they said that's dumb, now they love it. Try and explain the premise to some without them saying that's stupid...
Yet it's so good, you really can make a good show out of anything.
My favorite anime, Bakemonogatari is 90% blank scenery and random talking yet it keeps my attention due to great writing and beautiful animation. The other 10% is actual story and maybe some fighting that's just made better thanks to the lack of it.
It really shouldn't work as well as it does, this goes for S&W and Hyouka too.
Pohaturon said:
Shinsei-J said:
Pokemon cards...
an internet cookies for the first person to get this.
EDIT: 1. attempt : fail
2. : Anthony saves the world, right?
Correct!
*hands tray*
Help yourself to a cookie.
Though with that first attempt I was all ready to come here and shoot down your answer.
Actually I think The Money of Soul and Possibility Control is the most exciting economics lesson you could ever have, it's literally the Stock Market symbolised as a series of anime fights. As in the Stock Market is a physical space in another dimension that certain people can visit using special credit cards. It's fucking AWESOME.

Really, really, recommend watching if you haven't already.

Yeah, trying to explain a lot of things can be impossible at times. Try to explain Persona 4 to someone and make it sound not terrible. I really can't do it.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Time from... In Time takes number one, because it's just such a freakin' amazing idea for a distopian currency.

Caps from Fallout are another really cool one.
Still haven't played either of the games, but I really like the idea of bullets as money in the Metro series.

Yeah, I do have a thing for non-coin currencies, I guess. It just really reinforces the world for me when something as basic as currency changes for practical reasons.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Actually I think The Money of Soul and Possibility Control is the most exciting economics lesson you could ever have, it's literally the Stock Market symbolised as a series of anime fights. As in the Stock Market is a physical space in another dimension that certain people can visit using special credit cards. It's fucking AWESOME.

Really, really, recommend watching if you haven't already.
I am so FUCKING on that.
It sounds so redonkulous, See this is why I love anime.
I don't think any other medium could do this straight faced.

Edit: I should probably stop derailing...

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I liked bottlecaps from Fallout.

I just liked the idea that even after an apocalyptic event, the people found a new kind of currency to use, rather than just going back to trading/bartering goods/services.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
WouldYouKindly said:
Bullets in Metro. It just makes sense. After the end of the world, gold is just a mostly useless, pretty, very heavy metal. Bullets will always be useful.

So yeah, bullets are the best currency. What better way to pay for something than with the capacity to efficiently murder things?
Food? Clothes?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I see a lot of people saying "caps from Fallout".

Is it just me, or did Fallout rip off Ducktales? Because I recall a certain episode where the protagonists enter a secluded village that hasn't got a standardized form of currency, so then one of the characters has to empty a huge amount of soda bottles so they can then divide the bottle caps amongst the inhabitants and introduce it as a "money".

On TOPIC: Euhm, I don't know, bolts from Ratchet & Clank? It seems so unreal, I can understand getting money for trading in scrap, but in this case, they actually build robots out of money.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
The bullets in Metro 2033 are the obvious answer.

My personal fav is the currency in Path of Exile though. It's fun, you can *do stuff with it* (gasp) and it helps ease the feeling of RNG (Oh man, 10 hours of grind and not a single item turns into -> Oh well, no decent pieces but I did get a ton of exalted orbs so not a complete waste).

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Karhukonna said:
Dead Century said:
The Zenny, from Breath of Fire. Nothing special about it. Just really fun to say.

I was gonna say this. It's cool other people have heard of the games, too. Capcom used the Zenny in Megaman Legends, as well. Although, as I recall, they were simply called Zeny then. Still, I'll go with Zen(n)y.
They were called Zenny in Mega Man Legends too.

Mega Man Legends is where I first encountered the Zenny, and it's my favourite fictional currency because I just love the symbol for it - it's the familiar "dollar" - sign, except with a "Z" instead of an "S"!

And because it's a funny word. Zenny!

chickenator88

Mar 24, 2013
idarkphoenixi said:
Rupee's, Gil, Dollars, Donkey Kong's Banana Coins. There's so much to choose from.
Just an FYI - Rupee's aren't a fictional currency.

I liked bottlecaps from the original Fallout

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
idarkphoenixi said:
Rupees, Gil, Dollars, Donkey Kong's Banana Coins. There's so much to choose from.

I guess you just can't go wrong with good old space credits (as seen in any space game/movie).

Either that or Pirate Treasure. Lovely, sparkling pirate treasure...
im pretty sure rupees are the currency of India which as far as i am aware is a real place. of course they could have changed there money

OT; bullets in metro 2033 because it adds to the themes and world of the game, which is a lot better than just having something like gold as a currency which you see in a lot of fantasy.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Headsprouter said:
Septims!

The Elder Scrolls currency! I just like the name.
I have a real life one of those, it is my lucky coin. I carry that thing everywhere.

OT: For me it has to be the Spice Melange from Dune. Cool, useful, and guarded by this scary ************ right here
Oh, yeah. I knew they existed. They came with Oblivion's Collector's edition. I wouldn't mind owning one, but most collector's editions are sold without it, because most people have lost them by now. If I ever have spare cash and I see an unopened Collector's edition I might buy it, Oblivion's my favourite Elder Scrolls game, after all.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
To those saying the rupee isn't a fictional currency: The Hylian rupee is, the Indian rupee isn't. They're two separate monies that share a name, sort of like all the different countries that have money called 'dollars'. Try to use a Canadian dollar in America and you'll be laughed out of the store.

OT: I'm actually quite fond of Macca, from the Megami Tensei franchise. It's not clear precisely what the stuff is: you can see it in coin form sometimes, and in some games it's implied to be edible (by demons at least). In Strange Journey, it's described as a dense energy form that can be utilized by the right technology. I always like my money to have a practical use beyond "this is valuable because we say it is."
Also Hell, from Disgaea. The money of the Netherworld is called Hell. That's just funny.

chickenator88

Mar 24, 2013
Zyxx said:
To those saying the rupee isn't a fictional currency: The Hylian rupee is, the Indian rupee isn't. They're two separate monies that share a name, sort of like all the different countries that have money called 'dollars'. Try to use a Canadian dollar in America and you'll be laughed out of the store.
Hmmm, I should've guessed it was the Hylian rupee rather than the Indian rupee, the currency used in soon to be the most populous country in the world.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'll chime back in and say how much I liked the caps in Fallout. It was a unique idea and also hilarious to think how many people cut themselves trying to count it all.