Favourite JRPG, go!

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Tied: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 and Final Fantasy VI.
As for the former, you can probably guess why.
As for the latter, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate by saying that it's 100% better than VII in every conceivable way. Don't get me wrong, FFVII is still a good game, but VI simply blows it out of the water. To put it another way: "Final Fantasy VI has aged like fine wine. Final Fantasy VII has aged like milk."

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Final Fantasy VI (Also known as III)

There are some really, REALLY annoying parts in that game but I still love it.

Coldflame727

Jul 14, 2011
Final Fantasy, Crystal Chronicles, Echoes of Time. That was the first one I thought of. My favorite is FFCC, the original.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
My all time favorite is Tales of Symphonia, I loved the characters, the story, and the gameplay. I also really like Chrono Trigger it has a great, intriguing story and great gameplay. For its great Characters and sheer uniqueness The World Ends With You is also up there. And last but not least Pokemon, I've always loved Pokemon, it's really fun.

Alkore

May 25, 2009
My favourite jrpg has to be Persona 3 the story is interesting and the combat is fun the first one i ever played was probobly pokemon blue

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
My first was ashamedly Final Fantasy VII.
What's there to be ashamed about? It's a good game.

OT: Final Fantasy IX. No contest.

My first would probably be Pokemon Red. That's technically an RPG right?

Bob Hoss

Oct 26, 2009
Hands down, Tales of the Abyss. If your o.k. with learning their elaborate, if flimsy science of 'fonics', your in for an excellent character study and one of the best combat systems in JRPGs, if not gaming.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
LordLundar said:
Xenogears bar none if for nothing more than the story. Oh sure, you can run to the end and treat it as a standard JRPG story, but if you look deeper, damn! Only game I've played rivaling it is the Legacy of Kain series.
/agree with both statements 100%

My first Jrpg I ever got into was Secret of Mana, followed by breath of fire. After that I was hooked on rpgs

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
Richardplex said:
Mother 3, because overall I don't like JRPGs, and Mother 3 is hilarious. Friend told me to go play it for ages because of said hilarity, and story line.
This.

Mother 3 has the best told story of any RPG I have ever played.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Chrono Trigger and Persona 3 for relatively classic JRPGs.
The World Ends With You for a JRPG that plays around with formula.
Demon's Souls and FFXII/XIII for throwing most or all JRPG elements out the window.

hypocrisy19

Apr 23, 2011
For me it has to be Legend of Dragoon. I know, this is never gonna happen in a million years but i still keep hoping for either a remake or a sequel. One can dream i guess.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Jerubbaal said:
Richardplex said:
Mother 3, because overall I don't like JRPGs, and Mother 3 is hilarious. Friend told me to go play it for ages because of said hilarity, and story line.
This.

I am intrigued by this game. What platform is it on?

For me it has to be Persona 4. Simply brilliant.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
eatenbyagrue said:
Persona 3 and 4, full-stop. Good story, characters I co9uld really care about, and NO WHINING EMO TWITS.
Ok am sorry i gotta cut in here. I love persona but... wasint that the majority of the characters? Just whining ad complaining. Like Persona 3 protaginist was the sterotypical emo kid. The persona series is FULL of this as you called them "Emo Twits" I dont care i honestly think in most JRPGS theres always many reasons why the characters are emo. Like i recently replayed Persona 4. Just so much whining.

Kanji: just shut up everyone am not like that okay! am also gonna hide how am good at making dolls and continue to not talk to anyone with my internal struggle about my other me. So instead i'll just get mad and take it out on everybody.

Youske: Am just so jealous of you whine whine just brawl with me that make me feel equal to you. Me: ummmmmm ok?

Yukiko: i don't want to inherit the famil.......

You know what enough. The whole persona series is usually about a bunch of teens going through there problems and crying about it. Its always well done but you saying theres no whining emo people is the opposite. Thats all persona is its well written emo characters but there all emo.

Who could forget the scene where everybody just whines saying its all my fault this happened cry cry.

I think i've made my point.

OP: Hard question. First JRPG was FF1 Jap import. My favorite? Probably FFXIII. Am an odd guy. I imported every game yet my favorite of all time is XIII.

EDIT: Oh my god i didn't even begin to mention Naoto and how much she whines and complains.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
Ubermetalhed said:
Jerubbaal said:
Richardplex said:
This.

I am intrigued by this game. What platform is it on?

For me it has to be Persona 4. Simply brilliant.
It's the sequel to Earthbound for the SNES. Mother 3 was only released in Japan, but there's a very high quality fan translation mod on http://mother3.fobby.net/

It's for the GBA.

Check it out.

TheBoltman

Jul 14, 2010
Tales of Symphonia for me. I usually don't go through a game more than once, especially games that are that long (two discs on the GCN), but I played start to finish twice on that game, and I have long since forgotten how many hours were logged in that endeavor, although I can safely say over forty hours each playthrough.