FBI Arrests 14 in Raids Against Anonymous

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
sapphireofthesea said:
Stand Alone Complex (see the Ghost in the Shell first season of the same name for description).
Think that about fits the bill on what anon is.
I honestly keep thinking of the Individual Eleven from the 2nd Gig when I think of Anon... minus the whole beheading part.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Funny they use so much effort on some kids, but criminal activity phishing, scammers, pedonetworks, Botnetworks they don't care so much about. But then again flaunt your exploits to the media and this will happen. Reason why real lonewolf hackers dont open twitters to cnn about their exploits.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Actual said:
They don't get it. Anonymous is everyone who stands up to fight injustice, corruption and censorship.
I'm going to call bullshit on this. When you start to infringe on the rights of others or cause harm, whether it be emotional economical or physical, you don't stand against "injustice, corruption, and censorship." Quite the opposite, actually. The small minority that used to actually do this all left. Yes, they claim to fight for those who can't fight for themselves, but that means nothing. Kim Jong Il can claim North Korea is a democracy, but that won't make it so. The American school system can claim that we never threw Japanese Americans into camps, but that won't undo history. Yes, Anonymous is not a single group that we can define, but does that mean they are free from consequences? That just sounds like a group of little children hiding behind their computer screens afraid to take responsibility for their actions. I mean, whenever they did a nice thing, they took immediate responsibility for it saying that they, "fought against injustice, corruption, and censorship." But the second anyone who claimed to be Anonymous was caught in an illegal act, they disowned him, saying that he never really was a member of Anon. Yet if you go on there now, you see them all supporting what they claim to be against.

OT: The only thing that comes to mind after reading this...

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
They cannot destroy anonymous because it's like the matrix their all smith's so take down one and another will rise to take it's place.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
CriticKitten said:
AngryMongoose said:
"Playing a game of Whac-A-Mole."

It's more like punching smoke. Poisonous smoke. Poisonous smoke that hates you can gets more poisonous the more you punch it.
Why do people insist on this absurd notion that Anon can't possibly be taken down because its ideals transcend physical boundaries? Anon is an organization which stands for certain ideals, it itself is NOT an ideal, and organizations CAN be shut down or at least scared into dormancy if enough of its members are caught.

It's simple psychology, really. Suppose you hear about a massive raid in which multiple members of a popular group are arrested on charges of terrorism. You may notice that the number of people jumping up to say "I'm with them too! Please arrest me!" tends to decrease. That's because most people generally don't like being arrested and having criminal marks on their records for the rest of their lives. Ideals are metaphysical and can't be "arrested", but people most certainly can.

It's what happened to LulzSec. The hacker community united to start attacking LulzSec and intended to give their information to the FBI and CIA to aid in prosecution. The result was that members of their group started to back out, unwilling to take the heat, and eventually they folded back into Anon in the hopes of being protected. LulzSec collapsed under the threat of being exposed, and if the FBI keeps this up, Anon will, too.
Yes, th3j35t3r and co. need to swing their focus back to anon and get some more dox

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Depends on what the situation is. If these were "anonymous members" that were part of crazy big hacks, then I could at the very least understand. "Anonymous members" is pretty much being used as a cover-all for big hacktivists, it's not like they're really trying to go after every "member" of Anon.

That said... AnonOps (the part of "Anonymous" that actively hacks) probably won't be too happy about this.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Actual said:
They don't get it. Anonymous is everyone who stands up to fight injustice, corruption and censorship.

If I do it and hide my name I'm Anonymous. And every time I hear about governments stomping down on people trying to make the world a better place I'm more tempted to join them.
They are doing the job assigned of upholding the laws passed by the people we elected. The people in Anonymous often commit crimes and were I, I'm fairly confident, choose to do so on a technical front because of the combination of low investment required and the fact that such things are generally low risk.

Actual said:
If Anon's crimes were in real life and not the internet they would be smashing windows and chaining themselves to business gates in protest. The local police would give them a fine or small jail sentence, but because it's the internet and they threaten large company's finances they're called terrorists and people call for their execution, it's ridiculous hysteria.
To compare smashing a window with an action that costs a corporation millions of dollars is silly thanks to an hilarious difference in the scope of effect. The action taken to do such a thing may seem relatively benign, but then the action is rarely the important thing when considering if it is worth pursuing a criminal investigation.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
cursedseishi said:
purgetheweak said:
Good, friggin 14 year old losers deserve to be imprisoned.
Nope, but I'll forgive the naivety of the statement.

The FBI should really focus on the certain other group of hackers who deserve a big black dick up the ass in some cramped moldy prison cell, and not a bunch of randoms.
You shouldn't forgive such naivete. It gets tiresome -- people throwing that statement around. It takes years to become a decent programmer, not to mention a hacker. Sure, there is the occasional kid that has talent and has tinkered his/her whole life, but those are few and far between.

The amount of skill required to do what some of Anonymous has (and hasn't) done is beyond the mythical "friggen 14 year old loser." Hell, it's beyond some of your best programmers.

We're the hardest bunch to put together and ask to do something as a group. That's why so much software sucks, is riddled with bugs and gets delayed forever.

I'm not saying that Anonymous as an idea is to be feared, just that it should be taken seriously. These aren't just kids.

Edit: For the record; yes, I believe in freedom of speech over the internet and I believe the net is a great venue for protest with a valiant cause. No, I don't believe that Anon always embodies that. Most of the time what they do is simply chaotic. Yes, I believe that cyber-crimes should be punished, even when Anon does it. They are not Robin Hood.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
... actually bringing down Anonymous is a whole different, and far more difficult, kettle of wax.
Um ... difficult? Try impossible. Trying to `bring down' Anonymous is like trying to drain your flooded basement by hitting the water with a fly swatter.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
AngryMongoose said:
"Playing a game of Whac-A-Mole."

It's more like punching smoke. Poisonous smoke. Poisonous smoke that hates you can gets more poisonous the more you punch it.
So it's like punching deadly neurotoxin?
... sorry, I couldn't help myself -.-

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
I support the arrest and prosecution of criminals responsible for illegal actions like hacking and cyber-attacks. Anonymous might be a fifthly hive of scum and villainy but the organization (if that term applies to the thing) does not necessarily only have criminals. I want police to take down criminals for their crimes but launching a campaign to take down the whole organization seems a bit extreme and like a waste of resources (pounding sand isn't going to get them anywhere).
But those crimes were made crimes in response to hactivisim more than anything else. At least, that's why DDOSing is illegal now. The FBI have yet to announce what crimes they are charging, so until they say "the 14 suspects raped a young girl" we left with the presumption that the crime they are being imprisoned for wasn't a crime before hactivism began.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Serris said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I can confirm that we're conducting law enforcement actions relating to a criminal investigation," FBI spokeswoman Alicia Senisbaugh told Fox News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/19/exclusive-fbi-search-warrants-nationwide-hunt-anonymous/].
read that sentence. do they ever do anything else? isn't that what the fbi is for?
cthulhumythos said:
Actual said:

If I do it and hide my name I'm Anonymous. And every time I hear about governments stomping down on people trying to make the world a better place I'm more tempted to join them.

If Anon's crimes were in real life and not the internet they would be smashing windows and chaining themselves to business gates in protest. The local police would give them a fine or small jail sentence, but because it's the internet and they threaten large company's finances they're called terrorists and people call for their execution, it's ridiculous hysteria.
in the end they're fucking up people's shit. people get arrested for that usually.
They're fucking up peoples shit with the internet. Here's how things go down.
A fair punishment, as dictated by the eight amendment, would be to disallow them internet access.
What's gonna happen: They're gonna do time, hard time! "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU EXPOSE CORRUPTION YOU LITTLE FUCKS!"

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Not sure how I feel about the whole Anon thing, it's cool on paper, like something you'd see in a film, but in reality it appears to be growing from noble intentions of free speech and liberty into a counter-productive fad.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Anonymous have exposed 2 cases of pretty bad corruption. Aswell as exposed the American control over companies as Paypal/Mastercard/Visa etc etc.

They have supported Wikileaks with servers and not done any violent acts. To the people who call them idiotic 12'yearolds and Terrorists. You have fallen to Propaganda and are much more mindless drones than anyone who claims to be in Anonymous.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
The problem with anonymous isn't so much the deal with wanting an internet free of government and corporate oppression, that is something I want as well, it's that they want anarchy as well. Not so good.

What the internet really needs is a governing body of it's own above and apart from governments and corporations not the anarchical freedom Anonymous strives for where the only people with the power to stop bad things are vigilante groups such as Anonymous.

For instance with Wikileaks Assange has released information that has put at jeopardy some very important and very dangerous operations being carried out which has put the lives of soldiers and civilians at risk. Assange and Anonymous represent an extreme that we should be avoiding, there is no reason we can't be both free and safe but it's a hard middle line to walk and if they were truly heroic they would be walking it.