Fear 3 Review

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Slycne said:
Hobonicus said:
I think they should have just stated that this is not meant to be that scary of a game. The devs said before, even with F.E.A.R. 1, that the series is always an action shooter first (they even referenced John Woo films on multiple occasions) and the horror aspect is just meant to make the plot a little more interesting instead of doing something generic.
See I just can't buy that wholly. That might very well be where the series is now heading, but you don't bring in big names like John Carpenter and Steve Niles to work on such a minor element of the experience.

Also

From Silent Hill to Project Zero and Dead Space, the games industry has become pretty good at terrifying its consumers. Could F.3.A.R be the scariest game yet?
Yes. We indeed do believe F.E.A.R. 3 will continue carrying on the franchise's tradition of scaring the pants off players in unsettling atmospheres and through unpredictable events.

In fact, we have developed a generative system that allows players to experience the scares of F.E.A.R. 3 in a fresh and dynamic way each time they play. Whether playing co-operatively with a friend or alone in the dark by themselves, the generative system will keep the players on the edge of their seats.

FPS has become a very crowded genre. Are you confident F.3.A.R can compete with the likes of Halo: Reach, Crysis 2 and CoD: Black Ops?
The FPS genre certainly is a competitive market but we are quite confident that F.E.A.R. 3's unique take on co-op will enhance the F.E.A.R. games' hallmark features of paranormal horror, intense close quarters combat, and immersive story-telling to make it stand out from the crowd
The devs still very clearly think they have one of the scariest games on the market.
Well obviously that's PR, they have to say it's scary when the question is worded like that. Like I said, it should lose points for trying to be scary when it isn't, but reviewers are overwhelmingly focused on that aspect when there's also terrific gunplay not being given enough credit. I never said it was a minor feature, but it is less significant than the game's core mechanic.

It's difficult to hype up a firefight with PR, it's easy to advertise horror. I feel that most reviewers were biased by FEAR 3's marketing to the point where 75% of every review is dedicated to how the game lacking in scares. Yeah it didn't quite live up to it's marketing, but can't we get beyond that at least a little and review the whole game?

Critterbot

Nov 19, 2010
The first F.E.A.R. game (and to a somewhat lesser extent the second) did a MUCH better job at scaring me than this one, gameplay was good, but for a game with a name like this it didn't scare me much.

Want a really scary game? Check out Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Hobonicus said:
Well obviously that's PR, they have to say it's scary when the question is worded like that. Like I said, it should lose points for trying to be scary when it isn't, but reviewers are overwhelmingly focused on that aspect when there's also terrific gunplay not being given enough credit. I never said it was a minor feature, but it is less significant than the game's core mechanic.

It's difficult to hype up a firefight with PR, it's easy to advertise horror. I feel that most reviewers were biased by FEAR 3's marketing to the point where 75% of every review is dedicated to how the game lacking in scares. Yeah it didn't quite live up to it's marketing, but can't we get beyond that at least a little and review the whole game?
Alright but how is "we wanted to recreate the feel of the tea house scene in Hard Boiled" any less PR speak?

There's a balance too it all though. On the flip side, I don't think it's fair to ignore portions of a game for a review either. For example, there were comments about one of the latest sonic games that if you just ignored all the werehog levels then it was at least 7-9/10 or Final Fantasy XIII gets good after 20 hours in.

There are also plenty of games are sold on their action alone, and I have every confidence that the devs could successfully market a mostly action based FPS with some horror elements. They still choose to push horror as being a major focus, so people are understandably dinging them a little. All told the game is still reviewing fairly well. I'd certainly recommended it, but I want people to know what they are getting.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Story was a letdown, and the series stopped being scary after it was explained to you in considerable detail what Alma was. Gameplay's fun though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Nurb said:
TRANSLATION: It's COD: Haunted house
That's kind of the gist I picked up from the written review, and the video pretty well stamped it in gold. Which is a pity, because the first FEAR did a great job with tension (not so much with actual fear, but hey) and the second one at least had its moments. Also, mandatory-for-all-intents co-op does not sit well with me (see: Resident Evil 5).

Subject7

Nov 2, 2010
I have a confession to make. I'm actually grateful that they toned down the horror cause I can't stand being constantly tense. Heck the only reason I played Dead Space was because I'd already seen a walkthrough of it on youtube.

Shameful I know :(

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I personally liked that game (and those of you saying its too short, you might wanna replay it as Fettel, if only for the different ending)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Subject7 said:
I have a confession to make. I'm actually grateful that they toned down the horror cause I can't stand being constantly tense. Heck the only reason I played Dead Space was because I'd already seen a walkthrough of it on youtube.

Shameful I know :(
lol, dead space isnt scary. it was in the first 2 levels but after that it was over. you saw the monsters already from a distance. cant say thats scary. nothing surprised me or created a tense atmosphere. the sound was good though. always hear here and there something (if you have a surround sound system).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Also, mandatory-for-all-intents co-op does not sit well with me (see: Resident Evil 5).
It's not mandatory-for-all intents like RE5. The game never makes you pause at a door, call your AI partner to come help, have her get stuck on a rock and make you restart checkpoint. And then force you to manage inventories together and shit.

It's just STRONGLY encouraged. :)

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Why is Alma portrayed as this lustful seductress in this game promo, honestly brutal psychosis aside such things induce a boner and urge to use said boner rather than go off to kill her

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
How does the co-op work? If the point man can slow down time/accelerate his perception, wouldn't that then cause the same affect for the fettel player if he was even remotely close?

Does not compute.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
honestly, did anyone ever actually find any of the fear games scary? being shocked every now and then and being scared are two very different things, and fear has always relied on shock scares. also, most of the scares required you to be looking in the right place at the right time, and usually i wasnt. ive never been crazy about the fear series but at the end of the day, they are one of few pc shooters that actually has a single player campaign with a decent length, and for that reason ill probably get this.

one question though, they said its meant to be played co-op. has anyone played it single player? i prefer to play shooters single player and would like to know if its still fun even if youre just playing it by yourself

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Metzeten said:
How does the co-op work? If the point man can slow down time/accelerate his perception, wouldn't that then cause the same affect for the fettel player if he was even remotely close?

Does not compute.
thats a good point. id imagine maybe point man would just be moving extra fast during that time or something...in fact i hope thats the case, because thats a damn funny mental image

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
00slash00 said:
Metzeten said:

Does not compute.
thats a good point. id imagine maybe point man would just be moving extra fast during that time or something...in fact i hope thats the case, because thats a damn funny mental image
Except the issue I see with that solution is that the bullet time causes the enemies to move slower, grenades, bullets (and the contrails), seeing the point man move faster wouldn't account for that....

Anyone who's played the game care to shed a little light on the matter?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Metzeten said:
Except the issue I see with that solution is that the bullet time causes the enemies to move slower, grenades, bullets (and the contrails), seeing the point man move faster wouldn't account for that....

Anyone who's played the game care to shed a little light on the matter?
as i understand it, the only reason bullets and everything else are moving slower is because youre activating your heightened reflexes. i dont think youre actually slowing down time

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
LordOfInsanity said:
What did you play it on? Easy? Or not at all? /facepalm

It took me at least 8 hours to play. Standard fare on Normal difficulty.
In fairness, FEAR 2 was a good 12-14 hours. I felt ripped off by the FEAR 3 campaign too.

GrimSheeper said:
I played both sides in single player. What I really found to bring me out of the experience was the point system, as mentioned in the video.
They really should have kept this exclusive to the co-op. Or just not had fucking co-op at all. I loved the first two games but felt very let down by this one.

Goddamn multiplayer craze ruining SP games :(

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Metzeten said:

Does not compute.
Time slows for Fettel as well in co-op.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
FEAR3 is getting alot of flack for not being so scary...but I dont really think it wants to anymore. I mean, by now you know whats up, AND you are not only playing as super soldier Pointman, who certainly is not afraid at all, but also his ghost brother who was 50% of the scares in FEAR1. How scary can a game be when YOU are the scary?
Though, FEAR also follows a scary/action/scary/action formula, so if you aint fighting in epic battles, you're watching for Alma cameos. (My favorite being on the moving sidewalk in the airport)