Feargus Urquhart Comes Home

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
*chants* Hype, hype, hype, hype.

Well everything sounds ok to me so far. Sounds like it will be a slight mixture of Black Isle/Bethesda visions of Fallout setting, but I'm sure I'll like it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions on this.

For one, I don't think it's a big deal that they aren't using much of the stuff from "Van Buren". Due to the playable version of it out there, that would probably cause a lot of problems with the fanboys themselves.

On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed when he (Feargus) says that he and his team are likely to be villified by "certain websites". I was kind of hoping that while the team isn't the entirety of the old "Black Isle" crew, that the attitude and development would be similar despite the engine, and it would be sufficient to merge the "No Mutants Allowed"/"Fallout Bible" crowd fandom into the current one.

At any rate, it sounds like it will be a really good game, I do not know if it will be the true "second coming" of Fallout that a lot of people have been dreaming about however.

Oh and for those who have read this far, WASTELAND went to Vegas. Fallout 1 even mentioned on the box that it was kind of a successor to Wasteland and personally I caught a few referances to that game.

I have actually been sort of hoping that the design team has done their homework back that far and "The Temple Of The Mushroom Cloud" will still be there in some form, and maybe some referances to our boy Faran Brygo. :p

See, once I turned in the real Bloodstaff Charlamagne always told me to check back and she might have some more work for me someday... but she never did for obvious reasons. :/

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
CosmicCommander said:
Thank you for making me lose my faith in humanity, sir.

I loved the first KotOR because it was exactly like the Original Star Wars films, it was accessible, yet intelligent. There was revelation, and a tale of redemption and sacrifice.
Prepare to lose yet more faith, because I'm going to join the chorus here saying that I prefer Kotor 2 (With the restored content mod) over the first game. I love that you're capable of having an effect on the characters you interact with, and that the story isn't simply a matter of stereotypical good vs evil. I also enjoyed how dialogue worked, and that by playing the game a certain way and with certain allies you'd open up new branches of dialogue with your companions that could lead to different revelations that a player playing through a different way might learn. As a result Kotor 2 is one of those few games that demand multiple playthrough if you want the full story, and I like that!

But essentially I just like that the characters felt more realistic, as opposed to the assorted collection of Bioware stereotypes who from the instant you meet them are as predictable as can be. Hell, Kotor 2 even threw a new angle on Revan from the first game, and it was extremely well done too.

...Now I've got myself all excited for New Vegas. Fallout 3 I found disappointing because the characters were as boring as humanly possible, and without an interesting cast all the fancy graphics in the world wont make me give a damn. But Obsidian, they could bring some life to the wastelands. A plot worth paying attention to! Could be good!

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I enjoyed KOTOR 1 more then KOTOR 2.
I managed to play through the first one more then once, the second one started dragging.

Though I didn't play with the restored mod

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I sense that they'll do much better than Bethesda. just hope it doesn't turn out like FO3 with a bunchload of bugs and stupid DLC's.

Jul 9, 2008
The Madman said:
CosmicCommander said:
Thank you for making me lose my faith in humanity, sir.

I loved the first KotOR because it was exactly like the Original Star Wars films, it was accessible, yet intelligent. There was revelation, and a tale of redemption and sacrifice.
Prepare to lose yet more faith, because I'm going to join the chorus here saying that I prefer Kotor 2 (With the restored content mod) over the first game. I love that you're capable of having an effect on the characters you interact with, and that the story isn't simply a matter of stereotypical good vs evil. I also enjoyed how dialogue worked, and that by playing the game a certain way and with certain allies you'd open up new branches of dialogue with your companions that could lead to different revelations that a player playing through a different way might learn. As a result Kotor 2 is one of those few games that demand multiple playthrough if you want the full story, and I like that!

But essentially I just like that the characters felt more realistic, as opposed to the assorted collection of Bioware stereotypes who from the instant you meet them are as predictable as can be. Hell, Kotor 2 even threw a new angle on Revan from the first game, and it was extremely well done too.
Agreed in every way possible. I love KotOR 1, but I much prefer KotOR II. I love that it was less predictable, and I still point to Kreia as the only character I've seen who actually pulled off being cryptic (unlike Theresa from Fable II. They were not subtle in their attempts to rip Kreia off with her. Had they given her better dialogue, motives, methods, common sense...well, everything, they may have even succeeded)
...Now I've got myself all excited for New Vegas. Fallout 3 I found disappointing because the characters were as boring as humanly possible, and without an interesting cast all the fancy graphics in the world wont make me give a damn. But Obsidian, they could bring some life to the wastelands. A plot worth paying attention to! Could be good!
I hear what you're saying, and I sort of disagree. Not that the characters were bad in FO3, quite the opposite, but then I still think the game made up for it because of how good it was in other areas, particularly how fun exploration was (Bethesda's specialty, eh?). I realize that you probably have other priorities than me, and this is all based on opinion, but I just wanted to get my word out there.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Galaxy613 said:
From the interview it sounded like they had to go to Bethesida for every minor detail and are at their whim for the design, story, and gameplay. Not exactly looking forward to New Vegas, I'll be more optimistic if they had a little more free reign.
I suppose this is true, however, with what they seem to have done it still seems like it is some what promising.

And, at least they ae trying to stay loyal to the series itself, which, I think is actually quite good. Means hopefully wont feel totally alien to us

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
Thank you.

How could you say that CosmicCommander?! It wasn't Obsidian's fault! LucasArts was all like "So yeah, we're giving you a 2-year development cycle. Scratch that, we want our money as soon as possible. So, one year cycle, okay? Have fun!
Yeah, Lucasarts rushed it- but even the parts that were completed were pretentious, confusing, and boring.

I understand why you may like it, my main qualm is the fact that this game completely branches off the tone of the original. If they had called KotOR 2, say "Star Wars: The Purge" or something around that general area, I wouldn't complain about it. But as they set it up as a sequel, therefore an expansion the universe, I would think that they could make as many tweaks to the combat and engine as they like, but they should never go back in time and screw the ending up, and make Revan's original campaign against the Republic a good thing, nor should they change the tone of the entire thing and make it all moral greys and add unnecessary and clunky philosophical crap.

We'll never resolve this argument, so let us make peace and end with a exchange of "I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion."

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Wow, the guy seems really great but the control that Bethesda has on the project is more than a little sad. Fallout 1 + 2 are fun games. They are satirical with lots of dark humour and just give you a good 'vibe' (like the guy said). Bethesda nailed a lot in Fallout 3, but the vibe they put on it just didn't fit. They completely fucked that part and light-hearted feeling up in my opinion.

Now they want to force their vision on Obsidian? That sucks. I wish Obsidian had a little more control over their game, that way some more outrageous stuff could be in it and everyone would benefit.
Two things.

How is being overtly critical of a company that was kind enough to license you back the game that your ineptness lost in the first place being "really great"? I understand that he has an emotional attachment to the game, but still...

Why is it bad that Bethesda wants to have a continuous universe? You'd think as a fan that you would appreciate having a world where what you did matters, sometimes even long term.

my 2cents anyway

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I think I can actually feel some physical aches and pains starting from craving this game so much now...

Fallout 2's vibe with Fallout 3's mechanics...

It's all too much, I think I need to go lie down or my head might explode with excitement!

I honestly don't think I've ever looked forward to a game so much.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I am really on the edge for this one. Obsidion has made a lot of bad (or at least heavily unfinished & unpolished) games, and they only seem to be banking on their reputation as former Black Isle Studios.
Urquhart doesn't come across as someone with a vision to me either.

I just hope they don't mess this one up.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I hear what you're saying, and I sort of disagree. Not that the characters were bad in FO3, quite the opposite, but then I still think the game made up for it because of how good it was in other areas, particularly how fun exploration was (Bethesda's specialty, eh?). I realize that you probably have other priorities than me, and this is all based on opinion, but I just wanted to get my word out there.
Oh yes, the exploration was fantastic, and it is indeed Bethesda's specialty! I can't even begin to count the number of hours I've wasted playing Morrowind for example, my favorite of their games. Thing is this was a Fallout game, and when I played the original games, I came to expect clever dialogue, interesting characters, and a brilliant streak of dark humor. Bethesda's Fallout 3 really had none of those, not very well done anyway. So I was disappointed. Were it another name I might've felt different, but as a Fallout game I felt let down.

erbkaiser said:
I am really on the edge for this one. Obsidion has made a lot of bad (or at least heavily unfinished & unpolished) games, and they only seem to be banking on their reputation as former Black Isle Studios.
Urquhart doesn't come across as someone with a vision to me either.

I just hope they don't mess this one up.
Mask of the Betrayer was absolutely brilliant, probably the best part of the whole Neverwinter Nights franchise in my oh-so-humble opinion. And other than Kotor 2, which has already been debated enough in this topic, Obsidian has only made that and Neverwinter Nights 2 plus its expansions.

So... erm... how have they made a lot of bad games? They've only really made 2 games and 2 expansions, with only one of those 4 receiving less than an 80 on metacritic.

Personally I've enjoyed all their work so far.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The Madman said:
Mask of the Betrayer was absolutely brilliant, probably the best part of the whole Neverwinter Nights franchise in my oh-so-humble opinion. And other than Kotor 2, which has already been debated enough in this topic, Obsidian has only made that and Neverwinter Nights 2 plus its expansions.

So... erm... how have they made a lot of bad games? They've only really made 2 games and 2 expansions, with only one of those 4 receiving less than an 80 on metacritic.

Personally I've enjoyed all their work so far.
I am not that fond of NWN2 or any of its expansions. At release it was nearly unplayable because of the many bugs, and much of the XP content should have been part of the base game. Granted they did fix it later on, but by that time I'd given up on it.
So for me it's KOTOR2 and NWN2 that both were broken failures, and then two expansions to fix the latter to make it playable... not exactly impressive.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
erbkaiser said:
I am not that fond of NWN2 or any of its expansions. At release it was nearly unplayable because of the many bugs, and much of the XP content should have been part of the base game. Granted they did fix it later on, but by that time I'd given up on it.
So for me it's KOTOR2 and NWN2 that both were broken failures, and then two expansions to fix the latter to make it playable... not exactly impressive.
*deep breath*

I liked Kotor 2, even taken into account its rushed ending due to Lucasarts forcing the games release earlier than planned. It also sold extremely well, and received positive reviews despite its unfinished state near the end. Playing through the game again with the restored content mod (Which is amazing I might add), it's easy to see what Obsidian *wanted* to make, and bloody hell, if they'd been allowed to finish it properly it could have been brilliant. As it is even what we've got was intriguing enough that as this topic demonstrates, many people prefer the second over the first. Rather than get into that again though I'll just say read the previous comments.

As for Neverwinter Nights 2, need I really point out how broken the original Neverwinter Nights was on release or how absolutely ridiculously boring its singleplayer content was, and how Bioware only remedied that after two expansions themselves? Nostalgia goggles removed, the original game on release was probably Biowares worst product. I even prefer Jade Empire! And I say that as a *HUGE* Bioware fan. It just wasn't good, but Bioware get a free pass because they're freakin Bioware and they eventually fixed it... just like Obsidian did, except that they're not Bioware so they never got a free pass even considering they're a smaller studio with less funds to work with.

I mean NWN2's singleplayer wasn't terrific, but it sure as hell was better than the original games as it at least kept my attention throughout and at no point did I descend into a boredom induced coma only to awaken three weeks later in a hospital bed like I did with the original games OC. And again: Mask of the Betrayer. Loved it! The setting was interesting and well portrayed as was the story, taking on elements of the Forgotten Realms lore that most other games and books even simply ignore, and the characters were memorable and sympathetic. Easily the highpoint of the entire NWN series for me, and yes, I've played em all!

Apparently the multiplayer in 2 was weaker than the first but considering I've never touched either games mp, that doesn't change anything for me.

Personally I like Obsidian and think it's about time they get a chance to really show off their skill. In the work they've done so far they've proven that as far as dialogue and characterization are concerned they're among the best in the industry, they just need to work on the actual 'game' part of the games they make. They need to take the time to polish their products and run them through some proper testing. But given time, effort, and some decent funding I think Obsidian have the potential to really make something special.

Then again last time I thought that was with Troika, another studio renown for buggy yet brilliant games. Hopefully New Vegas wont be Obsidians Vampire: Bloodlines though.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The Madman said:
You are very passionate about it... I'll load up NWN2 next time I have time for a CRPG. I own the entire game plus expansions anyway, might as well give it another fair chance ;)
Then again last time I thought that was with Troika, another studio renown for buggy yet brilliant games. Hopefully New Vegas wont be Obsidians Vampire: Bloodlines though.
Troika is really missed... it's quite telling that to this day people are releasing content restoration patches for Bloodlines.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
carpathic said:
Brotherofwill said:
Wow, the guy seems really great but the control that Bethesda has on the project is more than a little sad. Fallout 1 + 2 are fun games. They are satirical with lots of dark humour and just give you a good 'vibe' (like the guy said). Bethesda nailed a lot in Fallout 3, but the vibe they put on it just didn't fit. They completely fucked that part and light-hearted feeling up in my opinion.

Now they want to force their vision on Obsidian? That sucks. I wish Obsidian had a little more control over their game, that way some more outrageous stuff could be in it and everyone would benefit.
Two things.

How is being overtly critical of a company that was kind enough to license you back the game that your ineptness lost in the first place being "really great"? I understand that he has an emotional attachment to the game, but still...

Why is it bad that Bethesda wants to have a continuous universe? You'd think as a fan that you would appreciate having a world where what you did matters, sometimes even long term.

my 2cents anyway
I thought the guy was really great because he has an uplifting way of looking at things and is really talented in making games. You don't see that kind of cheerful spirit in a lot of devs, I just like him. If he's a great business leader I don't know, maybe not but that doesn't concern me in my way of looking at him.

The way I see it is that Bethesda took the franchise, molded it to their needs and then handed it back to the creators while watching them from the shadows in suspicion. That's like if some art dealer picked up a painting of Picasso and then let some hyper-real artist paint a stunning realistic portrait over the cubist figures. Then he'd commision Picasso for his next portrait, only for him to demand another hyper-real portrait. It just doesn't make sense to me. Obsidian probably should have created a new IP, just so they would have had mre freedom.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bethesda a lot (more than Obsidian) but I just don't think they are experts in the Fallout universe. They did an amazing job with Fallout 3, but in more ways than 1 completely failed to grasp what made Fallout tick. It's like if a talented director would make a Ghost Busters 3 movie with an amazing cast, awesome effects, riveting story only to have the movie being realistic and dry when the originals where all about silly NY comedy. Okay, I gotta stop with these wierd analogies.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
..he made a pretentious, confusing, and unfinished sequel to one of my most favourite games of all time.
The extensive plot holes in KoTORII probably would've been explained if they hadn't screwed the series up the ass by making a gonna-try-to-compete-with-WoW-and-fail-inevitably MMO.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
USSR said:
CosmicCommander said:
..he made a pretentious, confusing, and unfinished sequel to one of my most favourite games of all time.
The extensive plot holes in KoTORII probably would've been explained if they hadn't screwed the series up the ass by making a gonna-try-to-compete-with-WoW-and-fail-inevitably MMO.
Actually I think that MMO is gonna be awesome, and worth every penny; you can't really judge it yet, seeing as it is not out yet.

Why should a sequel explain the extensive plot holes of a game? Isn't it better for a game to have NO plot holes whatsoever? Or am I being to idealistic?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Or am I being to idealistic?
I believe that too, but honestly, do you believe people will do that?

With so much money in cliffhangers, I doubt directors ever will =(

I also think I came on too harsh about the MMO. I really want to try it too.
But I'll be honest, I really hate it for being a KoTOR III substitute.