Feed Dump: Runners, Sliders, Designers

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Holy shit, it's Chris Avellone...how the hell did you pull that off?
Seconding this. Did Obsidian owe you a favor or something? Did the LRR guys give them a rave review or something?

CAPTCHA: fezes are cool

Too bad that wasn't the hat they used. Actually, they planned on it, but then some strange woman came from out of nowhere and blasted it.

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
To answer Graham's earlier question before Mr. Avellone plugged himself, Ty Warner is currently serving two years probation and 500 hours community service for tax evasion. Apparently, he had the biggest secret offshore account ever discovered. He ALMOST went to jail...but his lifetime of philanthropy (including giving a woman he stopped to ask for directions $20,000 for a stem-cell procedure to save her life) earned him a much lighter sentence.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
That first exchange of RPG dialogue options is now one of my favorite moments of feed dump of all time:)

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
I realise allot of people in this thread are geeking out about this Chris Avellone fella, according to the wiki, co-founder of Obsidian Entertainment, but i would just like to point out:

First game to that companies credit,
SW:KOTOR2 - Was rushed and unfinished at release with a adhoc ending because.... Also nowhere near as good as KOTOR1

NWN2, which had a dogs dinner of a graphics engine that looked awful and ran terribly. The game was unplayable because it ran so poorly, and not as good as NWN1

Dungeon Siege III - Having grown up with both DS1 and 2 playing through co-op, i only got through about 20 minutes of this game because it was so frigging boring.

So unless this guy is renowned for trashing existing franchises, I am not sure what everybody is geeking out about :p

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
BunnyKillBot said:
I realise allot of people in this thread are geeking out about this Chris Avellone fella, according to the wiki, co-founder of Obsidian Entertainment, but i would just like to point out:

First game to that companies credit,
SW:KOTOR2 - Was rushed and unfinished at release with a adhoc ending because.... Also nowhere near as good as KOTOR1
Whahaha...wait, you're being serious? In that case, I'll just leave this here:
[http://postimage.org/]
green shot [http://postimage.org/app.php]

By the way, you can thank LucasArts for Kotor 2 being released in such a poor state. Lucasarts cut Obsidian's deadline by half a year at the last minute, leaving them scrambling to get the game finished in a remotely playable state. As it is, Obsidian ended up making a full-fledged RPG (and a brilliant take on the Star Wars mythos) in less than a year. Because Obsidian left all the cut material on the game disc, modders have restored their original vision of the game to a large extent.

NWN2, which had a dogs dinner of a graphics engine that looked awful and ran terribly. The game was unplayable because it ran so poorly, and not as good as NWN1
The first Neverwinter Nights barely qualified as an RPG, it was more of a glorified tech demo and a modding platform - most of its appeal came from the massive community content it spawned. The original campaign for NWN2 is pretty mediocre, but its expansion Mask of the Betrayer is the best-written game since Planescape Torment and remedies most of the problems of the OC. The second expansion, Storm of Zehir, has lots of cool RPG innovations. I'm also not sure how you can rag on NWN2's graphics when NWN1 is one incredibly-ugly looking game whereas NWN2 at least looked decent.

Dungeon Siege III - Having grown up with both DS1 and 2 playing through co-op, i only got through about 20 minutes of this game because it was so frigging boring.
Hardly. The first two Dungeon Siege games were basically interactive screensavers that played themselves. Dungeon Siege III actually required a modicum of skill to play. It was also essentially mercenary work (a hack and slash commissioned by Square Enix for a quick paycheck), so it's hardly an accurate indicator of Obsidian's strengths or weaknesses.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
So, did we forget to finish the Ty Warner story that should have ended with him getting convicted of doing shady illegal things with money or not?

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Vie said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Well they aren't supposed to reveal this I'm afraid.

After all, what they did is a felony in 57 countries, and a misdemeanour in another five.

I think Poland still has Tarring and Feathering on the books for it come to think of it...
Nah, we don't do that anymore, ever since we realized that good ole' assault and battery on the street when you least expect it is far easier and gets the job done as well.

Oh hey, it's Chris Avellone. If by any chance you are reading this (probably not), KotOR II and Planescape Torment are still sitting on my "top 3 games of all time" list, and I defended Alpha Protocol on the release day, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.199129-Review-Alpha-Protocol?page=2#6516570] when it got a negative review on this very site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.199129-Review-Alpha-Protocol?page=3#6517974]. I still think it's one of the (if not THE) most underrated games of the last decade, and judging from recent forum topics, my guess about it being a cult classic was right on the money.

On topic: White Castle. Huh... I would've never even hear about it, if it wasn't for that one Harold and Koumar movie I watched all those years ago. Congrats to you though.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Yeah! I didn't recognize him at first - not until the "name in the credits" bit.

Okay, how did Feed Dump get Chris Avellone? It mean, it was awesome, but... how?

... also, shouldn't Chris Avellone be working on Torment: ToN at the moment? (just kidding Chris - love your work!)