feeling good in my fighting games

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
having played alot of street fighter, umvc3, guilty gear and blazblue I've been happy with the results of my skills.

I think my skills are at there best in blazblue, its not much but its getting there. I'm just happy that 2 months of training these games are finally paying off. I hope i have the same luck with persona 4 arena when i get my hands on it.

So if you play fighters, i got a few questions for you

What do you play?
Who do you main?
your best moments in a fighting game
Any gripes that you have with the games you play
are you intrested in EVO2013?

P.S Balrog can go suck a lemon

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I like to play Skullgirls

I main Peacock, with either Filia or Ms. Fortune as assists.

Recently, I was playing against someone that was kicking my ass. He even stood there a few matches letting me get in a few free hits he was so much better than me. [small]asshole[/small]

He was playing a Parasoul/Valentine team and I was playing a Peacock/Filia team. Towards the end of the last match I had with him, he was down to only his Parasoul, I activated Argus Agony on her, but then she used Egret Dive to shield her so she can counter with Silent Scope. Then, I immedietely did a Blockbuster Sequel with Filia's Gregor Samson, dodged the shot, knocked her into the air, and finished her off with a Fenrir Drive. It was pretty satisfying.

I also was playing against someone with another Filia, who was going to counter Peacock's Argus Agony with Gregor Samson, so I brought out my own Filia's Gregor Samson and to two ended up cancelling each other out. It was quite amusing to see. XD

My main gripes with Skullgirls is that it feels kind of frustrating that I seem to be stuck in this middle tier, where I can easily beat people who haven't played as much as I have, but I also get creamed by people who are much better than I am. But hey, baby steps.

I also hate when I get stuck in a corner and caught in ridiculously long string of combos with no chance of recovery. Of course, that's not really the game's fault so much as it's mine.

I don't know much about EVO as I've only just learned about it not to long ago by playing Skullgirls. Is that a type of fighting game tournament or something? I'd look it up myself, but I would like to spark some amount of discussion.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
scorptatious said:

I don't know much about EVO as I've only just learned about it not to long ago by playing Skullgirls. Is that a type of fighting game tournament or something? I'd look it up myself, but I would like to spark some amount of discussion.
To my knowledge EVO is one of the more famous world tournaments that happens yearly, a decent about of fighters are played there, dont know if skullgirls is in though

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Theo Rob said:
scorptatious said:

To my knowledge EVO is one of the more famous world tournaments that happens yearly, a decent about of fighters are played there, dont know if skullgirls is in though
*Google's*

It looks like it is.

http://skullgirls.com/2013/05/skullgirls-evo-2013-tournament-registration-is-now-open/

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Yeah i'm playing a LOAD of P4A since launch. I've noticed for some bizarre reason I play nothin' but robot girls... My best is Shadow Labrys followed by Labrys followed by Aigis. Aigis is my worst by far but Orgia Mode is AWESOME!

I play exclusively Mu-12 and fuck all else in BlazBlue so that's one extra robot girl. I never MEANT for a full robot party but i'll roll with it. I did play Makoto for a while but boxing characters do not mesh well with me.

I play whoever looks interesting really. Mu is an arsehole zoning character with infinite guns, spammable Arrows of Heaven and a lot of GET BACK moves. Aigis, Labrys and Shabrys are all rushdown characters in their own unique way. I don't immediately look to main the first good keepaway character when I pick up the game.

I like to think i'm bringing variety to XBL. Every single other person is playing Yu or Kanji. Even the Akihiko craze has died down.

All the Yu players rely on a shitload of cheap tricks that lost their edge on me about 50 games back. That's why a 200PSR Aigis just beat your 600PSR Yu you cocky prick.

They all have the One More Burst combo that pretty much takes 75% but they never get the chance to use it because if it's not the low hit slide way in, it's the overhead air sword lunge. Both of which are unsafe as fuck. Now I don't really have the best combos but I know how to reset pretty consistently. Also, I know how to block all the high/low stuff on demand. Reaction times haterz.

I just hate Yu dammit. He's not as bad as Ragna (because his Inferno Dividah costs health and does not have a free combo path once it hits) but damn he's annoying.

Kanji is just exactly what Tager was for me in BB. Him showing up on the vs screen may as well be "FREE LOSS, JUST AFK NOW" it'll end about the same either way. I rely on blocking all the unsafe stuff until I get an opening but fucking grapple characters ruin that.

I stopped playing UMVC3 because 1. I much prefer the ArcSys mechanics and 2. the online is both brutally hard and horribly rude. Swag Teams forever and every other winner is mad salty when winning for some reason and rage messages and/or post match taunt/teabag.

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
I play Ultimate Marvel 3, Skullgirls, and some Super Smash bros Melee.
I main Magneto, Iron Man, MODOK, Doom, and Sentinel in Marvel 3, Painwheel and Peacock in Skullgirls, and Samus in Melee.
I can't really remember what my best moments are, but I did once manage to use Tager's Astral Heat on an online player in Blazblue Calamity Trigger.
My gripes are: Marvel 3 has too high damage, Skullgirls doesn't have enough people playing it, Melee has one of the worst competitive communities I've ever played with.
I'm not that interested in EVO2013 because I can't travel during that time, but the addition of Smash Bros to the roster is pretty nice. It's just too bad it beat out the superior game (Skullgirls).

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I mix it up a lot in fighting games ones I play now are SCV,P4A,VFFS,Injustice,DOA5 and Darkstalkers 3.

Ones I have dropped are SF4 (all editions, dislike the art style) BBCSEX (want to focus on persona 4 arena instead) SFXTekken (hated it including after the patch) SF2 Turbo (I feel I have played it to death) MK9 (because I wasnt over keen on it) Oh and Guilty Gear because I dont know I guess I lost interest even though I love the cast.

Ones I have dropped but intend to pick back up are KOFXIII, Skullgirls and SF third strike.

Ones I never really got into Arcana hearts 3 (did not like it) UMVC3 (not my thing really) MVC2 (Didnt give it much chance) Tekken tag 2 (may get later but I was majorly burned out on tekken after the 5th game and I am not sure I am ready for more yet).

I was going to buy MVC Origins but I dont think I would play it much.

As I flit around so much I dont really have a lot of mains im more of a fanatical casual but lets see I will go through a few where I do have mains:-

SF2 and IV = Blanka and Ryu.
SC series = Siegfried (or Nightmare in II) and Cervantes in SC on dreamcast.
P4A = not fully established yet but tending towards Shadow Labrys and Chie.
DOA5 = Ayane
VFFS = Vanessa
BB = Makoto Nanaya (but game is mainly dropped atm despite Makotos awesomeness)
Injustice = Not fully established but tending towards Killer Frost
Skullgirls = Atm just Valentine but eventually the team will be Valentine/Squiggly/Eliza

Best moments were probably learning SC on the dreamcast with my friend its one of the only times I got pretty damn good at a game because we were always pushing each other to improve and it was great to see everything come together over the months of practice.

I have lots of gripes but my two main ones go hand in hand one is cheap A.I that you have to exploit because they read tour buttons and trying to fight them normally will get you killed and 2 uber cheap final bosses just NO! take them out or make them fun. I am not going to go through the small gripes with each game but I will go through two big games and my gripes with them:-

SF4 I hate the art style and the backgrounds it just bugs the hell out of me.

Injustice I think the animation is terrible same for the character models also only having one victory line for each cast member that they repeat every single time make it get old real fast.

I tend to watch EVO on youtube after the event I would like to go someday even if its only to watch and get bodied in a few games.

Also the EVO line up is as follows

SF4AE
KOFXIII
UMVC3
TTT2
P4A
SFXTekken (boo!)
MK9 (why?)
Injustice
Super Smash Bros Melee (think it was melee that won)

There are ofc side tournys like Skullgirls and probably Divekick, Darkstalkers 3 etc.

Oh tried to keep the games played and dropped pretty recent otherwise you can add things like Weaponlord, Clayfighter, Killer Instinct etc to the list.

I wish I had more time to practice but its getting real hard now atm P4A and Injustice are the two I am really trying to concentrate on but an hour a day to play games if I am lucky dosent help much.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I've tried my hand at a bunch of fighting games but end up being pretty bad at all of them. Mostly because I end up wanting to play as low-tier characters and then being disheartened that I'm blown up so consistently.
Most recently I've been playing Persona 4 Arena, but I've already given up on that because Yosuke's too hard to play as and too many characters seem to have Furious Actions that just nullify all his mixup stuff.
This game does seem really balanced but I'm too lazy to learn how to deal with everything to find out for myself.

The only games I stand any real chance in are Street Fighter 4 and sort of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Maybe Street Fighter X Tekken.
I took a liking to Makoto last time I ventured into SF4, but got driven out by not really knowing how to deal with anyone
with invincible reversals. And since about 115% of the online community play Ryu, I just got frustrated.

As for MvC3, I once got kinda good with Viewtiful Joe, Spider-Man and Iron Man. I picked the team out before the game was even released because I liked all the characters (and also their colours matched, which is nice), and just practiced all day 'err day until I felt confident with them. And then Vanilla MvC3 Wesker comes along and tells me whats what and I'm put off the game until Ultimate.
Now I only ever really play with a friend whenever we visit each other's houses. Found some pretty neat stuff with X-23 and Deadpool so they became my new team. Had a spare team slot so I was like "Yeah whatever Phoenix Wright let's go". Also Arthur if I'm in the mood to play like a knob.
I'd like to play online more and really get into the game, but one can only stand hearing "Foot dive!" and "Hidden missles!" so many times. I mostly stick to watching competitive players and look on as ChrisG's Morrigan kills Mahvel.

Marginally off topic, but I'm on the fence about getting Injustice. Is it actually good? Seems like the place to get my opinion swayed. Unless it's really good, I might just wait in case they do a complete edition like Netherealm did with Mortal Kombat.
Plus I was intending to play as Harley because I like the character but OOPS guess who turns out to be low-tier.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Iv'e played most of the fighting games that came out this gen ( even bought a fight stick ) . But the only games i'm somewhat compettent in is : UMVC3 , skullgirls , P4A and Injustice .

UMVC3 i main x-23 . It doesn't matter who else is on my team , she will wreck shit up.

Skullgirls i mained Valentine . Came in 5th in a local tournament .

P4A i mained Elizabeth . Apparently she's lowtier , but i like using her .

And injustice i main Harleyquin . Because she's hot .

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
UMVC3, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Mortal Kombat 9, and an inkling of Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Who do you main?

UMVC3: Wolverine, Doctor Doom, Spencer
PSASBR: Good Cole/Evil Cole, Sweet Tooth, Sir Daniel, occasionally Heihachi.
MK9: Reptile, Mileena, Skarlet, Cyber Sub-Zero, Sektor
I:GAS Sinestro, Green Lantern, Harley Quinn, Nightwing

More than a few of what I like to call "Combofiend Comebacks" (see this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDH0Ylp7bc] for why) whenever I make a huge comeback with Spencer after my Wolvie and Doom are dead. Another moment I had was an online match on PSASBR. It was an ally's Isaac and my Evil Cole versus a Kratos and Spike. As soon as the match began, Isaac's connection hit the shitter and had to leave, so it was just me against these two. I managed to make a Justin Wong-worthy comeback against both of them. I was so proud of myself.

UMVC3 online is extremely frustrating, because of the bad lag and downright jerk opponents. Yes, you killed me using Vergil, but you barely won. Did that really warrant numerous tea-bags and a taunt?

Absolutely. I found myself in awe of Filipino Champ's victory in the UMVC3 grand finals of EVO2012, and I'm eager to see who's going to win this year. I'm also looking forward to Injustice at EVO, although judging from Teamspooky's videos, I think ChrisG is going to dominate that section.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
On my Vita I play Mortal Kombat and Dead Or Alive 5+, but if we're talking about one fighting that I'm really good at it's Tekken (GOd damn it release Tag Tournament 2 on Vita already!).

In MK I play mostly as Scorpion, Sektor and Smoke. There's something awesome in all those ninja and robot characters.
In DoA I've more or less mastered Christie and Rig. What I really love about DoA is that it is probably the most spectacular fighting I've played. Spectacular not in a Street Fighter sense with giant fireballs and shit, but in a sense of a very well shot martial arts movie. All animations are smooth and transitions from strike, to throw, to hold are almost unnoticeable.
In Tekken i have real handful of characters I love to play: Lili, Asuka, Dragunov, Paul, Armor King, Jin, Devil Jin, Kazuya, Lee, Bryan. I've played the shit out of Tekken 6 on my PSP and do believe that I've become more or less competent, at least on an amateur level.

Best moments are usually the ones when I manage to defeat opponent with a hold or counterstrike while having almost no hp left. It is especially satisfying in Dead or Alive.

As for EVO or whatever, no, I don't watch and don't care, because competitive level play is completely different from level that I play and don't want to limit myself with low-tier, high-tier bullshit.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I've played a variety of fighting games since 2009. BlazBlue (just about every installment), UMvC3, P4A, KoFXIII (my personal favorite).

Mains:
BlazBlue: Tager (I suck too much at the game to learn anyone else)
P4A: Kanji (same deal)
UMvC3: Nova/Doom/Vergil (haven't played in a while so team is subject to change if I get back into it)
KoFXIII: EX Kyo/Terry/EX or Claw Iori

I dunno if I have a whole lot of best moments. Finishing all 10 of a character's trials in KoFXIII always feels awesome though.

My gripes are mainly KoF's netcode. Jesus christ, if it just had good netcode it would probably have a lot more players given how hype it was at EVO last year.

Edit: Forgot to answer the EVO question. I have watched the past two tournaments because I seriously enjoy seeing what new stuff professional players come up with. KoFXIII last year was just godlike.

The

Jan 24, 2012
I played UMVC3 once or twice. Hawkeye, Deadpool, and She-Hulk are my go-to guys. You can tell I haven't really scratched the surface.

In PSASBAR, I find myself going with Sly, Radec, and Good Cole a lot. My finest moment is when I was playing as Good Cole on my last life, and basically managed to dodge everyone until I knocked them out. It took about 10 minutes, but it was worth it. One guy even ragequit.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Theo Rob said:
What do you play?
I play a lot of fighters, to the point where it may seem like I have a "Game o' the Week" thing going on depending on what's out versus what's grabbing my interests at the time. I'm thinking of getting back into Skullgirls and VF5FS but I haven't decided on anything concrete yet. I played a lot of SCV - even though it was a bit of a mess - before my save data went belly up.

Shame too. I had some good character designs (as far as I was concerned :p)...

I'm not rolling anything right now; again, I haven't decided whether or not to pick either Skullgirls, VF5FS, or even SCV and TTT2 back up.

Who do you main?
There are few games where I'll exercise "character loyalty" - Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, and King of Fighters if you want specifics: I will always play Testament and Sol Badguy, I'll always Siegfried (or Nightmare if we're talking original SC or SCII), I'll always play Pai Chan (so adorable), and I'll always play K' and Shen.

Outside of those specific games, I play who I enjoy playing, tier lists be damned (lol Garou Freeman wut?). That usually comes after going through a rather extensive training session to try and learn some basic ins and outs of the various characters therein. Many times I find myself enjoying characters I didn't think I would. Kitana in MK9 and Ragna from BB are such characters.

your best moments in a fighting game
I have a few actually...

- DoA4: I won a match with a counter-hit back grab while the other player was doing a rising attack. I can't tell you how that worked...
- VF5: A friend was getting all in my ass with Aoi. He hit me with a juggle combo and I was pretty much destined to lose the round by ring-out. Thing is, we both were approaching the ring edge and he hit the ground before I did, so he ended up losing the round.
- SCV: I made a come-from-behind with my Siegfried-Custom (a Custom that fought like Siegfried). S/He was rolling Edge Master and no slouch, I tell ya. I managed to get in a counter-hit Critical Edge (read: super move) and it slammed him/her into the wall for massive damage. Another notch added to the win record.
- SCV: I had a really good match against a Custom Pyrrha with my Patroklos-Custom. In the end, though my character was reduced to her skivvies, I emerged victorious.
- SCV: A poor schmuck using Xiba got the business from my Alpha-Custom. Here's the kicker: I only did one attack throughout the entire match. End result? 3 PERFECTS.
- MvC3: I had my own "Combofiend Comeback," as another user here put it, a while back when I regularly played (I'm still fucking terrible though). I was reduced to my last character, Spencer, while my opponent had a full team. I guess s/he thought their victory was guaranteed, so s/he did a full Team Super with wild abandon. I had a Level 3 X-Factor on standby (that shit...), so I activated it and then Bionic Armed through his/her entire team. With that one attack, the match was mine. I'm pretty sure there was some elevated sodium levels after that one.
- MvC3: This one was awesome. The match eventually came down to an Iron Man mirror. My opponent does Proton Cannon. I do my own in response and cross my fingers. Imagine my surprise when both Proton Cannons completely canceled each other out. My only regret is that I wasn't recording.
- BBCT: I was playing a friend, his Ragna versus my Hakumen. My friend through out a random Carnage Scissors... only to be grabbed by the face and then kicked away by Hakumen.

Good times.

Any gripes that you have with the games you play
All fighting games have issues of some kind: character balance, lack of modes, limited character selection or color/outfit palette, you name it. The larger grievances I've had in recent times came from the fighting systems in both DoA5 and SCV. For the former, the emphasis on the (admittedly overhauled) stun system makes playing the game kinda awkward. And of course DoA5 has it's own "comeback mechanic" in Power Blows; fortunately a patch fixed that one quick as you were once able to throw the shit out there for no reason once your health was low enough. The way it is now, if the Power Blow connects, you can't use it anymore. It also wouldn't be so bad if they do didn't do an upwards of 35% to 50% damage (to your health, those of you unfamiliar with the terms), and that's before comboing into it.

With the latter, SCV, the game as a whole was just seriously lacking. The newer characters seemed to have no attacks, the returning characters actually lost attacks (my man Siegfried lost at least 5 attacks... and they were all the better ones he had in SCIV), and the replacement characters fought so close to the originals many wondered why the older characters were taken out in the first place. And then there was the dubious hit-boxes (where attacks would hit when they shouldn't have, and some attacks would simply whiff for no reason), the awkward stun and combo implementation, and the lack of or bizarre changes to various gameplay features (Just Guarding is awkward to pull off and not being able to hit-confirm BE's kinda hurts the game a little).

But all in all, there are few - if any - games that I flat-out hated.

are you intrested in EVO2013?
I'd like to go in person, but it looks like it's not in the cards again this year. So I'll probably just do the usual and tune into the streams. I'll make sure to skip out on UMvC3 because I'm not keen on watching the match turn from a fighting game into Touhou Project. ¬__¬

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Addendum: I forgot to add Jann Lee to the list of characters that I always flock to regardless of how good/bad they are. Jann Lee's been a staple of mine since DoA2.

Oh, I also forgot the session in MvC2 where I was playing a friend and my Jill somehow turned into the Juggernaut (*****!). Lemme tell ya, it was hilarious to watch.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Right now, I just discovered Super Smash Flash 2. Not nearly as professional as anything else on this threas, but I can beast Goku in a fight as Jigglypuff, so the game is fun in a goofy way.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Gripes? DOA's community is almost dead, Potemkin and Tager can suck a rail spike (Aksys), Juri needs a buff (SSF4), Marvel is entirely unbalanced right now, Persona is even more unbalanced, and Tekken... well... is tekken.
Yeah DOAV is pretty dead at least online but to be fair the online was terrible anyway probably because of the higher end graphics in comparison to most fighting games. But DOA5 Ultimate is out soon so that will probably revive it a bit.

Also no way is P4A more unbalanced than Marvel 3 Marvel is just broken to hell now and there is a huge gap between good characters and bad ones even on a casual level.