feeling good in my fighting games

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Play a huge amount of super street fighter 4 with a friend we mostly play 1v1 and don't go online but after a fair few months were starting to get to grips with Focus Attack Dash Cancel moves, Ryu being my go to i'm at the point where I can nearly reliably perform EX shory FADC into ult 1 although doing it on keyboard is abit fiddly ^^

Some of the matches we have can feel pretty epic as were both of an equal skill it's hard to describe how fun it is to other people but some matches feel like realtime chess with us trying to bait eachother into traps or making mistakes.

What do you play?
SSF4

Who do you main?
Ryu/Ken/Gouken

your best moments in a fighting game
At christmass we had a 'Gouken Off' best of 3 games winner got a £5 steam voucher from the other one. Came down to my friend doing an ex slide punch at me I countered with goukens super with gouken shouting 'NOT TODAY' It was not his day and i got my £5 steam voucher :D

Any gripes that you have with the games you play
Trollhawk and friggin Spamgrief the grabs make me rage, what's that? you hit me more than once well fuck you time for a grab! 1/5 of your hp gone >_> bastards.

are you intrested in EVO2013?

Lolwut? apprently not as i have no idea what it is

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Maximum Bert said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Gripes? DOA's community is almost dead, Potemkin and Tager can suck a rail spike (Aksys), Juri needs a buff (SSF4), Marvel is entirely unbalanced right now, Persona is even more unbalanced, and Tekken... well... is tekken.
Yeah DOAV is pretty dead at least online but to be fair the online was terrible anyway probably because of the higher end graphics in comparison to most fighting games. But DOA5 Ultimate is out soon so that will probably revive it a bit.

Also no way is P4A more unbalanced than Marvel 3 Marvel is just broken to hell now and there is a huge gap between good characters and bad ones even on a casual level.
I view "broken" as what percent of the cast can be reasonably be played on a competitive level.

For Marvel: Wesker, Vergil, DOOM, Sentinel, Dormammu, Morrigan, Strider, Phoenix, Frank West, Spencer, Zero, and Hulk. Other characters can get used, but the Top 8 at major tournaments consist mostly of the above.

For P4A: Yu, Labrys, Aigis, Chie, and Kanji. Everyone else barely gets used. Went through a streak of fighting game streams where Yu was one (if not both) of the characters for 40 games straight.
Yeah thats how I view them as well I mean marvel 3 has a huge cast of characters but only a fraction get used while with Persona you do see most of them the only one I rarely see played is Yukiko also you left out Mitsuru she is friggin everywhere seeing as she is technically the best but you also see a lot of Akihiko and I have seen a fair few Liz players as well I dont see Shadow Labrys very often but when you do she usually tears up the scene a Shadow Labrys just won UFGT9 and it was an absolute epic fight. I have also seen a lot of Naoto and Teddie players and they can all do well even if they have their bad matchups. Yu is basically the Ragna in this game thats probably why you see him a lot although at high end competition you wont see him that much at least no more than any others.

P4A is not perfectly balanced but with the exception of Yukiko I see all the characters played fairly often as everyone is viable. In Marvel 3 it is skewed a lot more between high end and low end characters sometimes you see players mixing things up and doing well like that guy who won Evo with Viewtiful Joe, Rocket Racoon and Frank West but that is very rare. Also TAC Infinites, regular one hit kills, the deadman glitch, The player 1 glitch. P4A is nowhere near perfect but it is a much tighter package with a more rounded cast than Marvel 3 which is perhaps inevitable seeing as Marvel has a lot more characters and potential scenarios, not saying its better than Marvel (in my opinion it is but thats my opinion) but it is definitely less broken.

Also just looking at the characters you named and percentages Marvel has 50 characters and you say you see 12 so thats 24% you see used and viable. While persona has 13 characters you say you see 5 characters which makes 38% (approx) you see as viable and used.

Not that I suppose it matters really.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I mainly play Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 4, though lately SFIV's been getting much more love.

I main Dudley in Street Fighter, still trying to improve even though Im quite good with him already. No real human players near my level who I know in person, and the online scene in New Zealand is all but dead so its quite hard to improve :/

I guess I'm somewhat excited for EVO, cant wait to see if Woolie from Two Best Friends Play does better, especially after his very first match last year being against Daigo

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
Street Fighter IV, Super Smash Bros. (all three games, but Brawl the most, and 64 the least), Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and, if I can find my copy, Marvel vs. Capcom 3. If they count, then Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.

SSIV: Cody
SSB64: Fox
SSBM: Roy
SSBB: Fox
MvC: Jin
TvC: Batsu & Frank West
MvC3: Dante, Amaterasu, & Chris

Somewhat interested in EVO2013. I've never cared about tournaments before, but I think I'll check it out this year.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
I suppose i should put a list of who I main

SSFIV: dudley
UMVC3: Zero/hulk/wolverine
tekken tag 2: feng wei/ raven
guilty gear: chipp
blazblue: bang

I dont own the games, but:
TVC: zero/tekkamanblade
P4 arena: akihiko

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
What do you play?
Honestly, not much at the moment. Despite how much I love the genre and endlessly promote it, I tend to go in waves with fighters and right now I'm in an off period. In the past my favourites would probably be Capcom VS SNK 2 (the only fighter I'd ever consider myself not just good at but actually competitive in), MvC1, Tekken Tag 1, Soul Calibur 2 and the SF2 set. I also had a load of fun with the two Rival Schools games.

Who do you main?
Being as how my start was with SF2, I'm solidly a player of Ryu and Guile. I play both in almost any game that has them. I also really enjoyed playing Kim Kaphwan in CvS2 even though I've never been much a fan of the FF or KOF games he's native to. In Tekken, oddly enough, I actually don't play straightforward characters at all. I'm a huge fan of both Hwoarang and Xiaoyu; characters that are more deceptive and rely more on tricking the opponent into falling for varied pressure tactics than characters that have solid all around game.

your best moments in a fighting game
I posted a couple in a thread from not too long ago. One was actually being at the centre of one of those arcade machine focused gatherings where a clutch Hwoarang play in TTT actually elicited an audible gasp from the crowd. The other was when, in CvS2 and playing against one of the top ranked players, I pulled off a silly final moment play that not only won me the match but caused him to rage quit to avoid the loss.

Any gripes that you have with the games you play
Not really. There are so many good fighting games out there these days that it's easy to just ignore the ones you don't like. For instance, I just can't get into wild and crazy hyper speed games like MvC3 even though I enjoy watching them, so I just don't play them. Things like balance issues and bugs are always going to pop in an any game, especially one with a player base like the fighting genre has, so it's pointless to really worry about them that much. Also, due to the current age of patches and online connectivity, developers are finally making steps towards patching the worst stuff so if you're complaining now you might not be complaining for too long anyway.

are you intrested in EVO2013?
Absolutely. I watch most of the majors and am always interested in seeing what happens on the biggest stage for the genre. I'm really hoping ChrisG comes out on top in Marvel, partly because I like him but also because I enjoy the lamentation of those who whine about his play style. Dude places Top 8 in almost every game he enters in almost every tournament he enters. He's just that damn good, get over it. I'm also really hoping we see Daigo regain the SF crown again.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Hah! Allow me to indulge myself.

What do you play?
Who do you main?
Any gripes that you have with the games you play?
I play a bunch of games. Here's what I "currently" play, with my go-to games coming closer to the top of the list:

[HEADING=3]Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code[/HEADING]

I've always suffered from a character crisis in this game. I play C-Seifuku, F-Kohaku, H-Nanaya and a bunch more, but none of them are characters I truly want to main. Fortunately, I have recently found a character whom I think I will stick to. That character is H-P.Ciel. She's got long-reaching normals, strong zoning tools, deals great damage, and has fairly strong mixups. She's relatively weak in terms of defensive options, being slow and lacking a good reversal, but I can deal with that.

I love Melty. MBAACC is one of my favourite games of all time. It incorporates so many mechanics from other fighting games, but it's got a unique feel. The neutral and pressure game feel very unique to Melty Blood. Aerial footsies are a thing, and pressure can last for days. I have no gripes with MBAACC other than with how French Bread released the game. They need to put this on Steam or something. This game can only be bought bundled with Carnival Phantasm season 3 at a high price, which hurts the size of the playerbase.

[HEADING=3]Tekken Tag Tournament 2[/HEADING]

I play a team of Lili and Asuka at the moment. I'm relatively new to Tekken, so I thought it would be to my benefit to learn the game with the more accessible characters first. Though, I doubt I will be abandoning this team later on, lol. Lili's one of my favourite fighting game characters ever, and I cannot resist pairing Lili with Asuka. If I'm going to split up the team, I'm going to have two separate teams for each character. In the future I plan on partnering Lili up with Lee Chaolan for team fancy pants. Asuka will form a team with Jin for team Kazama.

Tekken is an interesting series. The Tekken games are more knowledge-oriented than any other series of games I know. I both love and hate the complexity of these games. All I can say is that most of my grievances stem from how difficult it was for me to pick up T6 and TTT2. Hell, I didn't even "learn" how to play Tekken in T6. It's only recently with TTT2 that I can play confidently. You have to be quite studious with Tekken compared to other games. At least that's how I feel.

Also lol, high damage and hop(e)kicks.

[HEADING=3]Skullgirls[/HEADING]
I'm pretty green when it comes to Skullgirls. I took a long, long break from the game since the big 1.01 patch was announced, and I'm just recently getting back into the game. Currently I'm playing solo Ms. Fortune. Fortune's perfect for me as she has the movement options of a Melty character, she's got great air normals, and her basic mixups are strong. She's a character that you can play almost solely off of fundamentals. I basically picked up and played her. She's going to be in my final team with a 100% certainty.

I enjoy SG, but I just can't get the hang of a "Marvel vs." type game. I can hardly fault SG for being what it is, though. It'll take some time to get used to this sort of gameplay.

[HEADING=3]Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition[/HEADING]

I play a bunch of characters in this game. My strongest character is probably Guile, but I've most recently been enjoying playing Sakura. She's a blast to play. She's got ridiculous stun and damage output, easy hit-confirms, a great mixup game, and decent footsie normals. She feels like a Melty Blood character in that she can pressure her opponent for days with carefully placed pressure resets.

Vortexes and "unblockables" suck some of the fun out of the game. Thankfully we've got a version 2013 to solve some problems.

[HEADING=3]Persona 4 Arena[/HEADING]
I play Labrys. She's a lot of fun to play, but she definitely one of the weaker characters. She has a relatively modest mixup game, her damage output is low without yellow or red axe, and she doesn't have strong defensive options. Plus, she's slow. I do like her range, though. She can definitely fight the neutral game.

I'm only sad about Labrys being so weak in comparison to top tiers like Mitsuru, Yu and Aigis. She's not incapable, but damn, it's hard out there for a Labrys.

Also lol, DP xx Super.

[HEADING=3]BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend[/HEADING]
I really like Noel as a character, but unfortunately, I don't find much fun in playing her. She's fearsome up close, doing good damage off of simple and effective mixups, but she doesn't have much of a neutral game. I much prefer playing spacing/footsie-oriented characters like Hakumen and Ragna. Maybe I'll switch characters for BBCP.

I feel BB could use a speed increase. The BB games don't feel as smooth as other fighters. Thankfully, BBCP looks like it won't be having this minor problem. ArcSys seems to have reduced hitstop and sped up the game a little bit.

Your best moments in a fighting game?
I eliminated a favourite player in a local P4A tournament, and people got hype! I'd play more P4A, but it doesn't have much of a presence around where I am any more.

Are you interested in EVO 2013?
Of course!

Evo is always a blast. Evo 2013 in particular looks to be especially amazing, featuring a whopping nine games plus the Skullgirls official side tourney. I'm going to shut myself in for that weekend. I will have no distractions.