Female Gamers?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
CleverCover said:
I swear we did this already...

But yes, I have boobs.
And my life has a center around my computer, Mythbusters and my 360.

I find it's harder to find you people in real life....

EDIT: Actually, thinking it over...it's harder to find a dude I could bond with over my geeky nature in real life that won't immediately say TITS OR GTFO.
As much as I'd like to pretend that stereotype doesn't exist, you're right about the edit.
I'm a bloke, so it doesn't personally bother me, but having just started Games development at uni, my entire class is full of the panicky stereotypical Geek, sure I'm proud of my geeky assets, but the one girl in the class is gawked at by the majority of the class, if she attempts to ask any of them anything they just panic and lock up. You'd think by this point, we'd've gotten past this by now >< it must be fucking horrible for her.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
velcrokidneyz said:
btw shes not making a fuss, just curoius about whos out there on the site.

chill the fuck out.
Nice. My man's on here too. As much crap as she seems to be getting over something so simple it's nice to see her fellah sticking up for her a bit.

Guys don't seem to realize that yes, depending upon the strata it is a 'big deal' that a girl is a gamer. As much as males get pigeon-holed into a stereotype when they declare themselves a 'gamer' girls tend to get it worse. Some of the posts here display that quite well. "Tits or GTFO?" "You're nothing special" ...? Jeebus, she was just looking for other gamer girls, you don't have to be so rude, she obviously didn't mean to say 'guys who don't think I'm a girl should be snarky here'

Oh and *waves* Hi. Me too.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
My WoW guild has the highest concentration of girls on the server.
The ratio is pretty much 1:1.
And my RIFT guild, which is a high-end guild with several significant server firsts, has at least 4 girls in it.
It's good to see more girls getting into games.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
I am a female gamer and I play a lot of games as well. RPGs and Fighters are my preferred game genres. I don't see why people are really making a big deal out of her asking a simple question. She is just curious about other female gamers on The Escapist.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
I don't play too many games, but yes, I am female and play games as well. It isn't really that special. Actually, scratch that, it isn't at all special.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
I'm a female, I play a lot of games, and I even review games that are based on books/comics. I play STO and for the moment I'm also playing Saints Row 2 and whatever FPS happens to be available. For the moment, it's CoD.

I have a following on the Gearbox forums due to my enthusiasm for Duke Nukem and have preordered my Balls of Steel Edition at my local EB Games.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
mightylittleone said:
I am a female gamer. i play ALOT of games. Are there any others out there?
Ok, I guess I'll show a little hospitality to the new gal. Welcome to the Escapist! If people are acting a little unfriendly it is because they are tired of the amount of "female gamer" threads that appear and you just chose a very bad way of starting your time here.
Don't worry, just make well thought out posts and don't get too aggressive with other people and you'll be fine. Just stay out of the basement. It isn't a very pleasant place.

Melian

Feb 11, 2011
TheDarkestDerp said:
Nice. My man's on here too. As much crap as she seems to be getting over something so simple it's nice to see her fellah sticking up for her a bit.

Guys don't seem to realize that yes, depending upon the strata it is a 'big deal' that a girl is a gamer. As much as males get pigeon-holed into a stereotype when they declare themselves a 'gamer' girls tend to get it worse. Some of the posts here display that quite well. "Tits or GTFO?" "You're nothing special" ...? Jeebus, she was just looking for other gamer girls, you don't have to be so rude, she obviously didn't mean to say 'guys who don't think I'm a girl should be snarky here'

Oh and *waves* Hi. Me too.
Ditto. I'm wondering why a simple topic like this can make so many people explode in a rage? It's a true wonder. So I echo what has been stated here before: Chill, people. Oh, and girl here too. :)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
blue heartless said:
I converted my wife by convincing her to download Steam. I've gifted a few games to her and she's so dang addicted.

She loves playing TF2 with me. Her favorite class is the Heavy. It's so dang cute!
lol awesome.
My girlfriend has always loved games, since way before I knew her. She always played Pokemon, The Sims and Morrowind, so when we started going out we started playing games like Oblivion, Borderlands and Assassin's Creed, now she's addicted. She even bought herself a PS3 so we can play Castle Crashers and Red Dead Redemption online together.

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
Mr.K. said:
OMG, didn't you hear what the Escapists do with girl gamers?!
Didn't you ever stop to consider why there are so very few around and why there are so many "girl gamer soup" recipes posted??

Get out, get out while you can!!
lol, good one. You get a gold star for originality! *<- (pretend it's gold :p)

OT: yeah, most ppl on the escapist are a little sick of girl gamer threads, esp ones questioning whether or not they exist, but for the record I've been a girl gamer for most of my life. I actually enjoy talking to others, male or female, about my hobby and think that anyone who dismisses someone's skill simply based on gender is immature and not worth my time. Although thankfully i have yet to run into anyone who does that, but I've heard stories from those who have. It's actually pretty sad.

Anywho, welcome to the Escapist, try to ignore the craziness, it just come with the territory ;D.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Female. Gamer. Hello! ::Waves.:: Been gaming since Space Invaders. Still enjoying the hell out of it.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Divine Miss Bee said:
mightylittleone said:
I am a female gamer. i play ALOT of games. Are there any others out there?
better question: when will we see the end of these threads? i am a female gamer, i've been playing since the days of mario kart on the N64 and there are no signs of stopping. about 40 percent of gamers are women, you're sure to come across several wherever you go.
so true...enough with the femalegamer "myth"...i play games, i have been since i was 2-3 when i got a N64...then came my PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, lol never look back from gaming..the greatest pasttime!.....oh and i cant believe how many guys r saying they've neva met a female gamer.

Talens

Nov 10, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Congratulations.

You are not the only one.

By the way, alot is not a word, not the word you think it is anyway.
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html unless she was talking about an actual ALOT made of games

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
OP, there's tons of us out there. If you don't know this already, I assume you're fairly new to online gaming communities (and thus why you don't know that "female gamer" threads are pretty cliche and played out), so anyway, welcome. May I just say that you've picked a lovely forum to join, and I hope you find what you're looking for here.

MercurySteam said:
In my experience, any female that can actually finish a game is worthy of praise.
...That's not exactly a huge accomplishment.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
haha ur right....finishing one game is worthy of a praise?...if thats the case i should be bowed to LOL jokes! :) but seriously i have clocked every single game i've ever played...whether it be bought, borrowed, or rented for a few days from a video store....lol what kinda standerd do u have for girl gamers MercurySteam LOL

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
Really a need to be so hostile to a new comer? How the hell would she realise that there's been a million threads on female gamers recently? She was introducing herself to the community and you knobs pull this one on her. Well done.

CleverCover said:
EDIT: Actually, thinking it over...it's harder to find a dude I could bond with over my geeky nature in real life that won't immediately say TITS OR GTFO.
That sounds about right >.<