Female Link May Appear In Hyrule Warriors For 3DS - Rumor

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't like it.

If this Link gets a good enough reception then Nintendo may decide to allow you to chose between a male and a female Link and that may decrease the possibility of a playable Zelda in a main Zelda game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Meh, I'd like to actually see a Legend of ZELDA game be about Zelda. I don't really care if they gender swap Link, but give the character who's name is the actual title of the franchise, her own story/game. Where she get's to go do some interesting stuff, not as a side character in Link's story, but her own story. I mean come on, she's one of the bearer's a Triforce, she's hardly a placeholder in their reality.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Leonardo Huizar said:
$5 says that certain group of critics are going to call this 'pandering' and 'Ms. Man-ing'
But it is pandering. The whole freaking game is pandering and fanservice (mostly tasteful if you ask me). Did you even play the game?

And I'm one of the people who have a problem with this. 80% of the freaking roaster are female character. Is it really necessary to fuck up an existing character and genderswap him? No amount of "it's not Link, it's his sister" won't make this any better since it's obviously Link genderswapped.
They're removing Male Link from the game now?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Meh, female Link? Who cares? She's still gonna be a mute, possibly savant-like person who wears a tunic long enough to be considered a skirt of sorts and leggings that sometimes breaks people's property looking for loose change and a bunch of dungeon-crawling. Pretty much the only thing that changes is the number of polygons and extra letters needed for text boxes.

Still holding out hope for a real Zelda-focused game that isn't a piece of crap. Or even a Midna-focused one. Those are the ones that actually have personality beyond basic hero traits in that world as main characters. But hey, until the timeline showed up, I always assumed it was the same bedtime story being told with different details depending on the culture telling it, so what do I know.

GZGoten said:
BiH-Kira said:
And I'm one of the people who have a problem with this. 80% of the freaking roaster are female character. Is it really necessary to fuck up an existing character and genderswap him? No amount of "it's not Link, it's his sister" won't make this any better since it's obviously Link genderswapped.
a gender swap Link won't ruin the character
Linkle/Aryll having the same fighting style or looking an awful lot like her brother that comes from the same mom and dad isn't that rare.

Remember this is a fusion of different Zelda universes and timelines, so it could easily be explained as in her world she inherited the Triforce of Courage from the previous hero and everyone else in her world is normal, Ganondorf is the king of the Gerudo and Zelda is the queen/princess of Hyrule. The triforce simply chose someone else from the hero's descendants
I do agree that it doesn't ruin the character, mostly because Link really doesn't have a huge amount of character to begin with outside of Twilight Princess, parts of LTTP, and a part of Skyward Sword.

However, it's been a big thing that the hero having descendents is not really important, as it's more the soul of the hero than the blood of the hero that determines if Courage hits them. But if she has roughly the same fighting style and design, exactly what's the point in a game solely designed around spectacle over story? Seems alot like just copy-pasting. Another thing would be that every timeline they've pulled from has had an actual game with the character in it so far. With obviously the exception being the "story" of the base game.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
GZGoten said:
if she is in the 3DS version I hope her name is changed to Aryll and not Linkle which sounds totally stupid
Isn't "Link's" name always just what you the player set it as at the begging of the game? I didn't think the name was actually officially canon, except maybe for the first two games.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Meh, I'd like to actually see a Legend of ZELDA game be about Zelda. I don't really care if they gender swap Link, but give the character who's name is the actual title of the franchise, her own story/game. Where she get's to go do some interesting stuff, not as a side character in Link's story, but her own story. I mean come on, she's one of the bearer's a Triforce, she's hardly a placeholder in their reality.
Except she's alot more than a placeholder most of the time...Link goes nowhere without her, he doesn't beat Ganon without her, he has literally no idea what's going on outside of what he sees, and has no comprehension of it because he's most often a country nobody for all intents and purposes.

Zelda holds countries together, leads her people/crew/etc. to safety while fighting a/the big bad who vastly overpowers her and Link when they're alone. She holds the Triforce of Wisdom and understands the world and has the love and admiration of anyone she has authority over, and even Ganon respects her enough with his Power to not do much more than kidnap her.

Sure, you can say she's a side character in Link's story, but so is nearly everyone else, even Ganon's honestly just a side character with a nebulous existence most of the time. The real characters in Link's story are the enemies he encounters, the puzzles he solves, and the places he explores. Because it's HIS story, the LoZ title is about Link yes, but he's just the vehicle, Zelda's the driver of prophecy.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Redryhno said:
I do agree that it doesn't ruin the character, mostly because Link really doesn't have a huge amount of character to begin with outside of Twilight Princess, parts of LTTP, and a part of Skyward Sword.

However, it's been a big thing that the hero having descendents is not really important, as it's more the soul of the hero than the blood of the hero that determines if Courage hits them. But if she has roughly the same fighting style and design, exactly what's the point in a game solely designed around spectacle over story? Seems alot like just copy-pasting. Another thing would be that every timeline they've pulled from has had an actual game with the character in it so far. With obviously the exception being the "story" of the base game.
what you say about copy pasting is true which is why I hope that this is in fact Aryll and not fem-Link for the simple reason that like you said anyone can inherit the triforce of courage so blood isn't even a requirement. Aryll/Linkle could have a similar fighting style but with some subtle differences, it shouldn't be to drastic of a change since she still would wield the Master Sword and there's not many ways you can wield a long sword. Maybe she can use a sword and crossbow combination and not have a shield

as for the every character having their own game... Lana and Cia don't have a game so...

Olas said:
GZGoten said:
if she is in the 3DS version I hope her name is changed to Aryll and not Linkle which sounds totally stupid
Isn't "Link's" name always just what you the player set it as at the begging of the game? I didn't think the name was actually officially canon, except maybe for the first two games.
Link has always been Link. In the games, the cartoon, the comic, the manga and in Hyrule Historia, that's his official name, that a lot of people change his name to P3N15-Breath, yes that's true but it doesn't change the fact that according to the official story his name is Link

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
GZGoten said:
Redryhno said:

as for the every character having their own game... Lana and Cia don't have a game so...
Sorta why I have the bolded part in there....

They had to justify the parallel universes somehow, and there's not a huge amount of established lore that does that, so it's kinda required for them to make something up there to have an in-universe reason to allow it to happen.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Though it wouldn't really be a female Link; the name given was "Linkle" and was created to be like a little sister to Link, kind of like a more assertive Aryll from Wind Waker. The rumor came about because the HW: 3DS trailer showed a crossbow that had no character attached to it on the splash page. Said crossbow was a dead ringer for the one Linkle has in concept art. If she shows up they'll probably put something in saying she's Link's little sister.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Leonardo Huizar said:
$5 says that certain group of critics are going to call this 'pandering' and 'Ms. Man-ing'
But it is pandering. The whole freaking game is pandering and fanservice (mostly tasteful if you ask me). Did you even play the game?

80%?
Female: Impa, Shiek, Lana, Zelda, Ruto, Agatha, Midna, Twilight Midna, Fi, Cia, Tetra.
Male: Link, Ganondorf, Darunia, Zant, Ghirahim, Volga, Wizzro, Young Link, Tingle, Ganon, King o' Hyrule.

80% women, right there. "Roughly equal gender breakdown" is just too many women. God, why are all these SJWs erasing men from existence.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Hairless Mammoth said:
I can see this happening since HW isn't really canon AFAIK. (You can bet though, someone figured out a few good spots in the time line trident to fit it.)
Actually, HW could easily take place sometime after Twilight Princess. Looking at the games featured, it's Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princes, which all happen on the same timeline, or time trident as you put it. Had Wind Waker or Link to the Past been featured, then it be pretty hard to justify. Which I guess just happened since Tetra and the King are in it now.

Then again, this is a spin off that just throws all sense of continuity out the window. Trying to find a place to put it is beyond silly. :p

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
But it is pandering.
May I ask how you define "pandering," BiH-Kira? I ask because a lot of people seem to think it means "giving something to people who aren't me," and I think given that climate, it's best to be sure what exactly people are being accused of.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Woulda gotten the game with or without the potential female link. I'd certainly appreciate the addition, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh, the King is supposed to be in, too IIRC.
I just hope it's not too gutted from the Wii U version. I travel a lot, and I need my Koei fix, damnit!

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Yay for the character, boo for the name.

Somthing like Terah, Mari, Erin, Isa, or Zizi would be better than Linkle. Mostly because it is barely different from Link, and also rhymes with tinkle, and we already have Tingle.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Honestly, link was just two less testicles away from being a girl anyway. Soft features, long hair, hung out with faeries, even had the skirt thing going. Not a huge ground shattering change. Nobody need be upset.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
altnameJag said:
(Why are warriors games system sellers for me? It makes no sense.)
At least they're more appropriate for 3DS as "play a round" games. If it makes you feel better, Zelda and Mario games help justify a 3DS purchase. I gladly beat Mario 3D and New Mario 2 in a month each and am about to beat Majora's Mask 3D a third time.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hero of Lime said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I can see this happening since HW isn't really canon AFAIK. (You can bet though, someone figured out a few good spots in the time line trident to fit it.)
Actually, HW could easily take place sometime after Twilight Princess. Looking at the games featured, it's Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princes, which all happen on the same timeline, or time trident as you put it. Had Wind Waker or Link to the Past been featured, then it be pretty hard to justify. Which I guess just happened since Tetra and the King are in it now.

Then again, this is a spin off that just throws all sense of continuity out the window. Trying to find a place to put it is beyond silly. :p
Probably worth mentioning here that Wind Waker was featured in the leaked 3DS trailer...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
"Honestly, link was just two less testicles away from being a girl anyway. Soft features, long hair, hung out with faeries, even had the skirt thing going."

You REALLY have no understanding of what Japanese culture is like, do you? It's what they like, mostly due to them having different views on what masculinity is. Link is on the LOW end of the androgyny scale; he's outright butch compared to a lot of Japanese characters. And that's before we get into his "skirt" just being a traditional tunic (though it was odd how he didn't wear leggings until OoT; guess he felt like going Roman-style).

May I ask how you define "pandering," BiH-Kira? I ask because a lot of people seem to think it means "giving something to people who aren't me," and I think given that climate, it's best to be sure what exactly people are being accused of.
Because what exactly does it do other than slap a pair of boobs on a character that is silent with minimal personality? It's like trying to say that being able to choose your gender or race in a game like Fallout or Knights of the Old Republic makes it more diverse when your character is effectively a blank slate whose personality, race, and gender is really just window dressing. That's not diversity, it's just pandering to people who write odd genderswap fanfiction.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Aiddon said:
Because what exactly does it do other than slap a pair of boobs on a character that is silent with minimal personality? It's like trying to say that being able to choose your gender or race in a game like Fallout or Knights of the Old Republic makes it more diverse when your character is effectively a blank slate whose personality, race, and gender is really just window dressing. That's not diversity, it's just pandering to people who write odd genderswap fanfiction.
Okay. So, if gender doesn't matter, why not slap a pair of boobs on more characters who're effectively blank slates whose personality, race, and gender are really just window dressing?

If it doesn't matter, why the testicle/boob disparity?