Female Perspective - Friend Zone

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Zer_ said:
The reason you find athletes to be very good looking is because of their line of work, you're almost guaranteed a healthy and fit parter, if not; a partner who's financial stability is also guaranteed. Also add into consideration that such a man is the ideal mate to bear your child (one who is physically and/or financially fit).
NO... the reason I find many athletes physically attractive is because... they're physically fit. Not, say, overweight. Also, because sports is a business, they also tend to have nice faces.

I wouldn't marry a athlete. I prefer a partner with brains. Doesn't mean athletes aren't pretty to look at.
Gotta agree with Bara here, I can find athletic people attractive, but it's because they are good looking... it has nothing to do with their money, and I don't want kids, so it's not that either.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
... but that isn't the case at all, is it?

It was YOUR attraction that waned. Later, the women admitted that they felt you were an acceptable partner (desirable even) but you no longer wanted them. That is an entirely different situation of getting to know someone and deciding you don't actually like them.
What are you talking about? He described exactly what the time limit theory implies. Two people are friends for a while, and it hits a point where dating them would be awkward.The girl finally said that she had been interested in him for the entire time, but they were friends for so long at that point that he no longer wanted her. Believe it or not, there is a point at which it becomes awkward to think of having sex with someone. Now, for me at least that is quite a few years longer an expiration date than most people seem to think it is when talking about this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sorry if anybody has already answered this, I was halfway through typing this when I had to get up and caramelize some onions for dinner.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
I wouldn't marry a athlete. I prefer a partner with brains. Doesn't mean athletes aren't pretty to look at.
Haha, you are now one of my favourite people! :D

On the subject:
I find that a bit of honesty and assertiveness go a long way. My usual approach is after a week or two of knowing a woman and being pretty sure I'm attracted to her, I'll say something like "I find you very attractive. If you're not doing anything on (first day I'm available) I'd love to cook for you."

Worst case scenario: She laughs in my face. I'm a little upset for a few days and proceed with a bit less confidence. A month later the whole thing is forgotten.

Typical scenario: She's not interested but thinks I'm "a great guy". She is now an acquaintance.

Best case scenario: She's also interested, we have a relationship lasting some amount of time. Maybe it just doesn't work, in which case, whatever. Try again.

What was that? Why yes! I am a pragmatist! How did you know?

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Admitting attraction towards a friend is that isn't really a friend amounts to letting them have power over you.That can get nasty. So the quick and easy solution to being 'friend-zoned' Run. Fast. Get over your attraction or find someone else.

To those saying Ladder Theory is bullshit: As much as we want to dress it up, we're only slightly more sophisticated than animals. Say, animals don't care about money, only status.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Danglybits said:
Cridhe said:
The Friend Zone; Where chicks leave the nice guys they complain so much about not being able to find.
Or the guys who only think they're nice guys but are really just bitter with chips on their shoulders.
I'm just sayin'. That was an observation from when I use to be a standard nice guy. I mean not that I'm a mean jerk now... but I'm just sayin'.

Joker7

May 4, 2011
Why would anyone want to be in the friend zone? Your just giving yourself blue balls.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Danglybits said:
Cridhe said:
The Friend Zone; Where chicks leave the nice guys they complain so much about not being able to find.
Or the guys who only think they're nice guys but are really just bitter with chips on their shoulders.
^This. Dudes, if you get mad when your interest is reciprocated with friendship instead of sex, you aren't actually being a "nice guy."

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
what the time limit theory implies. Two people are friends for a while, and it hits a point where dating them would be awkward.The girl finally said that she had been interested in him for the entire time, but they were friends for so long at that point that he no longer wanted her. Believe it or not, there is a point at which it becomes awkward to think of having sex with someone. Now, for me at least that is quite a few years longer an expiration date than most people seem to think it is when talking about this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sorry if anybody has already answered this, I was halfway through typing this when I had to get up and caramelize some onions for dinner.
Fuck yes caramelized onions.

Back on topic, I think you have to continue a friendship for a very long time before it would make it hard to transition to a relationship. I've personally been in a few relationships based on friendships at least a year or two old, so on the time frame most people are talking about, it shouldn't be a problem. I also know people who have dated childhood friends, people they went to school with, etc. I think you do capture the kernel of truth in the whole "friend zone" thing - there is a point in a (non-sexual) relationship where you're basically family. But, IMHO, it really only applies for long-term friendships, not on the time-frames people generally think "friend zoning" occurs on.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Friend zone is something I do not understand because of several girls that I work with. Good co-working friends, but our personalities are not on the same wave length, so there's nothing there. What bothers me, however, is that when someone DOES come along that they clearly like, and said person is madly in love with them, and everything lines up perfectly in the stars, they go, "Oh, I can't date him. He's too far in the 'Friend Zone'."
I ask them what they mean by that.
"I mean he's too much of a friend."

Now, perhaps I'm just crazy, but I would think that being friends, really good friends, with the person you're in a relationship with is a good thing.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Aisaku said:
To those saying Ladder Theory is bullshit: As much as we want to dress it up, we're only slightly more sophisticated than animals. Say, animals don't care about money, only status.
Yes and no, I think. Our social relations are considerably more complex than any other animal - it's (along with stuff like language and complex abstract thought) one of our defining characteristics as a species. There are likely to be some similarities, but extrapolating our social behavior from other primates makes about as much sense as extrapolating our linguistic abilities from the system of calls made by other primates.

Also, specifically on the topic of sex, that's another way our species is an extreme oddity. Our sexual behavior is considerably different from that of our closes relatives (chimpanzees and bonobos) likely because our reproductive strategy is considerably different. So it can be misleading there, too.

At the end of the day, it's about the science. There's no science backing up ladder theory, and considerable evidence that it is likely inaccurate.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Strain42 said:
-Delete Post-
Just wondering, why did you delete both posts? If that was the post about the girl who friend zoned you in order to use you, I've had the suspicion that that was a big part of why girls do it for a while now; they get all of the emotional support of having a boyfriend, while still being free to date someone more attractive. It's come to the point where I almost think of being that supportive of a female friend as being the male equivalent of putting out on a first date; "why buy the horse if you can ride for free?"

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Speaking as a man who has never had a girlfriend (and, by extension, is still a virgin) I have to put a caveat here as all that I am about to say is pure assumption, and simply my own observations over the last 2 decades of my life.

Humans, despite our sentience and higher intelligence, are still very much primal beings. In our primal minds, we wish to mate, and we wish to mate with as many members of the opposite (or same) sex as we please, as is nature for several species. However, unlike other species, thanks to our own sentience, we cannot simply engage in sex with whomever we please. Rather, we need to engage in what we call "romance" in order to woo/persuade the person/people with whom we wish to have sex with that this is a mutually beneficial concept. This procedure can take anywhere from a single evening to several years, so in essence, we put more effort into the pursuit of sex than most creatures put into the act itself.

In this way, the "Friend Zone" to a lot of males is a deterring factor to our own primal instincts. I know it may not be true of every man in the world, but there are a significant number of men who will only interact with a woman for the express purpose of wanting to have sex with them. They don't care about who the woman is, their needs/wants/aspirations, they only want to satisfy their primal desires, so, in being placed in the "Friend Zone" these men simply shut down, in a manner of speaking. If one of these men realizes they are not now or never will receive sex from this woman, then they will no longer interact with this woman.

Now I'll say it again, I'm not assuming that every man is like this, nor am I assuming that the only reason men interact with women for is sex. However, there can be no denying that there are plenty of men like that out there, and there are probably some who will "bide their time" in the Friend Zone, trying to snatch an opportunity to rise up into the "Friends with Benefits" Zone. Also, there are probably plenty of men who put women in the Friend Zone as well. I, for one, have a couple of female friends that we're both in each other's Friend Zones because A. they live several states away, and B. they're either married or in committed relationships. I don't see this as bad, because C. while I think they're great friends, I just don't see them as potential sexual partners.

I could probably go on a lot more about how our own concepts of "Love" and "Marriage" hinder our own primal instincts, but I think I've made a clear enough point how much of an opinionated, overly-negative bastard I am, so I'll just leave it at that.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Strain42 said:
-Delete Post-
Just wondering, why did you delete both posts? If that was the post about the girl who friend zoned you in order to use you, I've had the suspicion that that was a big part of why girls do it for a while now; they get all of the emotional support of having a boyfriend, while still being free to date someone more attractive. It's come to the point where I almost think of being that supportive of a female friend as being the male equivalent of putting out on a first date; "why buy the horse if you can ride for free?"
Truth be told, I was only trying to delete the one, it wasn't really adding anything new or profound to the conversation, but admittedly I'm not that familiar with The Escapists forum controls. I hit Edit and just deleted my entire post, it said "No comment selected" and gave me the comment box. So I just typed "-Delete Post-" but then I saw both my old message and this new one were there.

So I edited the first one again.

It's my mistake, like I said, still not used to all the mechanics of this forum ^^;;

TehJammers

May 10, 2009
The Enrichment Centre wishes to remind you that the friend zone is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance.

But in all seriousness, being friend zoned isn't about being a 'nice guy', it's about not being BOLD.
You can't get anywhere in life by being timid, or being tough on the internet.

If you've been friendzoned already with the girl you SO TOTALLY LOVE, you're already lost. There is NO way out, unless you barely speak to her for months and then come back so there's the nostalgia element there.

In my experience, you have to at least tease girls, hit them with a tickle or two. No fraternal hugs and safety. Tickling especially because it breaks the touch barrier while making them laugh.
You really do have to have an element of jaded cynicism about the whole thing, truth be told.

Also if you're under the age of, say, 20, or don't have a few notches under your belt with other women, don't try to extricate yourself from the friend zone.
You'll be angsty and teenagery. Brim full of the idea of purity of women and promising yourself that it is you who will the perfect, chivalrous man in a country full of douchebags.
This doesn't work, and I know from experience. Chivalry isn't dead, it never existed. And girls certainly aren't pure.

After a crucial, stupid attempt at winning a girl with shitty high school poetry on valentine's day lost me one of my best friends for the best part of a year, I thought I'd never be able to get a girl.
But oh wait, going out with a girl I met at a party and who I didn't know beforehand led me into my first proper relationship. The only time I've managed to end up having sex with a friend I've known well prior to the act (rather than a customer or something, which does work quite well!) was because I never acted asexual and super friendly towards her.

People want to validate themselves, after all. Guys do this through sex with hot women, women do this through sex with people that don't totally respect them.
This is then way the world works and it sucks, but if you exploit it, it's actually pretty awesome.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
I think the problem is some people takes so long to ask someone out that when they finally does and they get rejected, it looks like they might have had a window of opportunity they missed out on. Really "the friend zone" is just a comforting way of explaining why someone doesn't wish to go out with you (and don't kid yourself, it works both ways...)

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Strain42 said:
-Delete Post-
As a woman: honestly, no. You couldn't be more wrong. I make friends with guys because I think they're awesome people. Whether or not they want to sleep with me, or me with them, it's irrelevant. I don't care about their emotional support. I have female friends for that. I find most of my guy friends lean on me more for emotional support than I ever do on them. And I'm cool with that so long as they're there for me when I feel like playing co-op ;p

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Ariseishirou said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Strain42 said:
-Delete Post-
As a woman: honestly, no. You couldn't be more wrong. I make friends with guys because I think they're awesome people. Whether or not they want to sleep with me, or me with them, it's irrelevant. I don't care about their emotional support. I have female friends for that. I find most of my guy friends lean on me more for emotional support than I ever do on them. And I'm cool with that so long as they're there for me when I feel like playing co-op ;p
For the most part, I agree with you; I was talking about a very specific case. The guy I quoted, before he accidentally deleted both posts of a double post, was talking about a girl who really leaned on him for emotional support -- the kind of physical but not directly sexual support one usually gets from a boyfriend -- but when he needed some in return, she told him no.

Edit: And from my own experience, there have been situations where I was always willing to listen when the girl needed to talk, where I helped with all kinds of problems, where I, in short, did all of the things a good boyfriend would do, but was not, in fact, the girl's boyfriend. Looking back, can I really blame them for not taking the next step, when I was already giving everything I had to give?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
im speaking as a guy so take what i say with a grain of salt, but i do feel there is such thing as a friend zone but it isnt necessarily determined by how long you knew the person. i have female friends i have known my whole life that i would still fuck, but i also have female friends i have only known for a few years but i may be closer to them or something like that. anyway, those friends i still think about in a sexual way sometimes but i would need to be really drunk to do anything with them because i feel so close to them they are almost like sisters to me

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
GiantRaven said:
That's a joke right?

Dear god please let that be a joke.
Yes, it is. Unfortunately, I don't think the person who created the site actually intended it as such.

Ariseishirou said:
Seriously though it's shit like this that makes me not want to date men at all. Great, so no matter what I say you'll presume I'm a shallow whore only interested in looks and money! Wow, what a peach. What woman wouldn't want to date you? How could they possibly prefer another type of man over a passively aggressive misogynist, I have no idea.
Hear, hear. (The irony of it is that guys who make sites like that are invariably pretty damn shallow themselves, to say nothing of manipulative.)

Ariseishirou said:
Honestly? The one I clicked with more. I have my own car; I don't need his. Bonus point if he's a gamer.

The very fact that you think what car a man drives has any bearing on whether or not he'd be a good life partner is very disheartening. I'd take a man who made 30K/year and was awesome, smart, funny, and sexually attractive (to me, tastes vary) over a douchenozzle (particularly a douchnozzle who thinks all women are money-grubbing whores) making 100K/year 100 times out of a hundred. I have my own money, guys.
I'd like to say that I agree with you on this. But to tell the truth, being a too-conspicuous consumer would probably be a strike against. It strikes me as both pretentious and slick; like he's trying too hard.

Not that it matters; I'm getting married this Saturday. To a guy I friend-zoned the first time he asked me out, no less.