Feminists next target; Battlefield 1.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So DICE recently twitted that there will be no female soldiers in the upcoming game BF1. EA originally said, and I quote, "Screw realism, we're adding female soldiers, because we're way overdue". But they decided to revert this decision since there were no female soldiers in WWI.

Some gamers did not find this decision to be a good thing, since just about every FPS multiplayer games nowdays have option to play as woman. Hell, even Star Was Battlefront EA, as much as that game was a piece of shit, had an option to play as female.

I honestly think it would be only a matter of time before Anita Sarkeesian or any other feminists starts bitching about how game these days are discriminating against woman.

What do you think?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think it's another instance of EA EAing all over the place. Make a promise and then back out on it. That's their typical low standards at work. And people who don't like this are "bitching" apparently...whatever. I've gotten used to my opinion being labeled as "bitching" by people who just want to dismiss it.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
It's kinda a silly promise to make. I support historical accuracy though.

You shouldn't just shoehorn genders and races in to get popularity points. Its insincere and completely silly. Though they can probably still include women in places. Have scenes showing nurses or any other support staff.

If they really bloody wanted to, they could come up with an instance where you could play a woman.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, EA dropped the ball here. I wouldn't expect female soldiers in a WW1 game, but I WOULD expect them in a game where they...said there would be female soldiers.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh, those pesky feminists. Stop trying to destroy video games you lousy... oh, they haven't actually done anything yet.

Ah well, I'm sure someone somewhere will have something to say. Which will destroy video games!

sgy0003 said:
But they decided to revert this decision since there were no female soldiers in WWI.
How pedantic do you want me to get about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Battalion

Admittedly, an exception that proves the rule, but an exception nonetheless.

Personally I'd be fine with this decision going either way. "We want to be inclusive and give players options" and "Female soldiers were extremely rare in WWI and we want to save a bit of money" are both valid justifications in my book.

Funnily enough, I've heard that BF1's single player features a female in a prominent role. Not confirmed though.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Zhukov said:
Oh, those pesky feminists. Stop trying to destroy video games you lousy... oh, they haven't actually done anything yet.

Ah well, I'm sure someone somewhere will have something to say. Which will destroy video games!

sgy0003 said:
But they decided to revert this decision since there were no female soldiers in WWI.

Personally I'd be fine with this decision going either way. "We want to be inclusive and give players options" and "Female soldiers were extremely rare in WWI and we want to save a bit of money" are both valid justifications in my book.

Funnily enough, I've heard that BF1's single player features a female in a prominent role. Not confirmed though.
Wow, you got be in the balls here. But since this batallion was a last ditch effort near the end of WWI, I guess EA decided not to include females, or they many have not done enough research

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
sgy0003 said:
So DICE recently twitted that there will be no female soldiers in the upcoming game BF1. EA originally said, and I quote, "Screw realism, we're adding female soldiers, because we're way overdue". But they decided to revert this decision since there were no female soldiers in WWI.

Some gamers did not find this decision to be a good thing, since just about every FPS multiplayer games nowdays have option to play as woman. Hell, even Star Was Battlefront EA, as much as that game was a piece of shit, had an option to play as female.

I honestly think it would be only a matter of time before Anita Sarkeesian or any other feminists starts bitching about how game these days are discriminating against woman.

What do you think?
Dunno yet. If they're historically accurate with the rest of their game then I'll be like okay they're going for accuracy here that's fine.

If it's dumb and unrealistic then I'll wonder why they had to be so strict on playable women.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I think that when you have to preemptively get mad about something that hasn't happened, maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities.

Feb 26, 2014
Are we starting the counter outrage before the "outrage"?

sgy0003 said:
since there were no female soldiers in WWI.
Eugenie Mikhailovna Shakhovskaya First female military pilot. Flew reconnaissance missions in 1914

Loretta Perfectus Walsh First American active duty Navy woman. She subsequently became the first woman Navy petty officer when she was sworn in as Chief Yeoman. By the end of the War America had sworn in 11,274 female Yeomen to the Navy on the same status as men.

Edit: Don't think they actually fought, but oh well.

Flora Sandes The first woman to be commissioned as an officer in the Serbian army and the only British woman to officially enlist as a soldier in World War I

Maria Bochkareva Commander of the 1st Russian Women's Battalion of Death

There weren't that many of them, but they certainly were there. I don't see why such historical accuracy matters in multiplayer anyway.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Captain Marvelous said:
Are we starting the counter outrage before the "outrage"?

sgy0003 said:
since there were no female soldiers in WWI.
Eugenie Mikhailovna Shakhovskaya First female military pilot. Flew reconnaissance missions in 1914

Loretta Perfectus Walsh First American active duty Navy woman. She subsequently became the first woman Navy petty officer when she was sworn in as Chief Yeoman. By the end of the War America had sworn in 11,274 female Yeomen to the Navy on the same status as men.

Edit: Don't think they actually fought, but oh well.

Flora Sandes The first woman to be commissioned as an officer in the Serbian army and the only British woman to officially enlist as a soldier in World War I

Maria Bochkareva Commander of the 1st Russian Women's Battalion of Death

There weren't that many of them, but they certainly were there. I don't see why such historical accuracy matters in multiplayer anyway.
I was just going off by what EA said. I knew the war was big enough to have female soldiers.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Russia employed female combatants (few hundred, near the end of the war, mostly for propaganda). Make some DLC with that.

EDIT: I'm more amazed at USA for pretending it won WWI single-handed. They were barely in it!

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
nomotog said:
When it comes to historical accuracy, I thought they were doing an alt world WW1? Did that change or did I read it wrong.
Depends what you mean by alt history.

Alternate timeline, or fictional weapons and technology? No, it seems to adhere to the structure of historical WWI for the most part.

Over-proliferation of prototype and late war weapons, and vehicles like tanks and biplanes being deployed to theaters/locations they shouldn't be in? Yeah, watching the E3 demo, the game played like a WW2 shooter, semi-auto rifles and submachine guns out the wazoo, everybody carrying weapons that most soldiers in WWI never used, bolt-action rifles basically being the Sniper rifles of the game. The game definitely favors giving people greater weapon choice over any sort of historical accuracy.

Which makes the women soldier thing kind of a weird argument, everybody gets light machine guns and SMGs that only appeared at the very end of the war and in vanishingly small numbers., but female soldiers are apparently too rare to be an option.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
"FPS multiplayer games nowdays have option to play as woman"

I haven't played a multiplayer FPS in a long time. Last time I played one, the player "character" was essentially a camera with a gun. Does it matter either way if the camera is male or female?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
sgy0003 said:

What do you think?
I think that your title is pretty dang bold in prophesying something that hasn't happened yet as a present fact.

Also, whoooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaares (of the people that are going to buy Battlefield 1)

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
EternallyBored said:
Yeah, watching the E3 demo, the game played like a WW2 shooter, semi-auto rifles and submachine guns out the wazoo, everybody carrying weapons that most soldiers in WWI never used, bolt-action rifles basically being the Sniper rifles of the game. The game definitely favors giving people greater weapon choice over any sort of historical accuracy.

Which makes the women soldier thing kind of a weird argument, everybody gets light machine guns and SMGs that only appeared at the very end of the war and in vanishingly small numbers., but female soldiers are apparently too rare to be an option.
To be honest I feared this would happen from the trailer. I wanted a historically accurate game with most people using the weapons common to their side at the appropriate time, I find the idea of loads of people running round with SMGs and machine guns to be basically just a re-skin, their not using the concept to get a unique experience out of it.

And on the same note of accuracy, I would hate to see female soldiers in the game. This isn't because I'm sexist or anything like that but because if you put the option in there you will end up with a game where tones of women run round with machine guns spraying bullets at each other as they both constantly jump trying to avoid other peoples machine guns, that does not sound like WW1 to me, it sounds like every CoD game since 4.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Wait, so people WANT to see depictions of women getting shot, gassed, bombed, bayoneted, and crushed under tank treads all in the name of imperialism and nationalism gone awry? Who are the misogynists here?

Yes there were exceptions, but statistically speaking practically all front line soldiers in WWI were male. Men are traditionally utilized for this role because we're far more expendable (sorry, fellas), and one would be hard pressed to find a conflict that illustrated this better than the meat grinder that was WWI.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zhukov said:

sgy0003 said:

And that is the SMG's argument all over again, did you saw the gameplay? Everyone was using smgs, although in the war not many soldiers had one. You have that justification that if you dig enough you see that at some point some used those weapons late in the war but that doesnt mean that everyone did all the time.

I dont care much about having a female character playable, the weapon selection is a much bigger issue, but that argument of finding some exception doesnt really fit well in this context because unless there was something limiting the ratio (the weapons should have this shit) then it doesnt make sense since because in the game that wouldnt be an exception at all. Just like the submachine guns arent an exception and everyone fucking has one.