Feminists next target; Battlefield 1.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Zhukov said:
Oh, those pesky feminists. Stop trying to destroy video games you lousy... oh, they haven't actually done anything yet.

Ah well, I'm sure someone somewhere will have something to say. Which will destroy video games!

sgy0003 said:
But they decided to revert this decision since there were no female soldiers in WWI.
How pedantic do you want me to get about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Battalion

Admittedly, an exception that proves the rule, but an exception nonetheless.

Personally I'd be fine with this decision going either way. "We want to be inclusive and give players options" and "Female soldiers were extremely rare in WWI and we want to save a bit of money" are both valid justifications in my book.

Funnily enough, I've heard that BF1's single player features a female in a prominent role. Not confirmed though.
A game about these experimental women's battalions would be far more interesting than any tripe EA and it's writers could come up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
altnameJag said:
For all the complaints about Star Wars: Battlefront, I haven't heard anything bad abut the default rebel trooper being a black woman. Well, not from feminists anyway. For all the complaints I hear about Overwatch and Battleborn, "you can hurt the womz" isn't one of them. For all the complaints about CoD: Black Ops 3, that you can knife and 'nade female avatars in multiplayer isn't anything I've heard from feminists.

So yeah, based on past precedent, the complaining wouldn't be coming from the feminists.
Black Ops III's story mode features multiple female characters who die as soldiers, and it wasn't some big deal. Neither was the fact that you can select a female avatar, even though the player character gets dismembered early in the game in a fairly brutal scene. This was a pretty big release, too.

Part of the problem in coming up with examples is that there are few games where you actually do see women treated equally, outside of possibly multiplayer. So you're left with mostly FPS MP games in the first place. But even single player, story mode, you just don't see the same reaction when the female characters are actually treated like the men.

You do, however, see outrage just that female avatars have been introduced to COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Just, you know, as you say: not from feminists.

Gengisgame said:
1.Yes I am claiming that, you then attempted to dismiss my claim my GREATLY narrowing the sample size from which I could pull from. What utter rubbish, why not restrict it to women who wore yellow hats while where at it.
Yes, how horribly unfair of me to restrict it to things which would actually demonstrate your argument. You claimed feminists wanted women to be treated differently in all cases, so we need to factor out the ones where feminists claim to want equality. This is how one falsifies a claim: by testing criteria which would prove or disprove it. Yellow hats has nothing to do with the claim, but testing the claim with examples where women are on equal footing does. Showing that there is an outrage over women being killed in games, even when played to male standards, would validate the claim. Showing feminists randomly complaining would not.

You won't do that, and realistically, you can't. You can't, therefore, claim in good faith that feminists want special treatment when the evidence is more consistent with the model that they want women to be treated like human beings, too. The evidence for this, as above, is that feminists don't complain when women are put on equal footing to men. In fact, given we don't see this outrage where we would expect to see it (literally everywhere) in your model demonstrates your model is wrong.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
cleric of the order said:
I'll have you know historical accuracy is important and very rarely done right.

See above, replace H.A. with Immersion, though this is largely relevant.
Then this isn't the game for you and women in multiplayer should probably be the least of your concerns.
This is rather interestingly phrased, i never indicate that the lack of such a thing will impede mechanics, rather that i find it rarely done right. It's a time consuming and noble process to make the game true to life.

I don't quite catch the second half: "women in multiplayer should be the least of your concerns" if you mean adding in women then yes it is rather low on my list of concerns, the truth being i could care less if there were women or not.

But that really isn't the point as this wasn't about historical accuracy in the first place. And the context of my response had to do with the notion that "feminists don't want equality."
That's neither here nor there but i do have to ask why does adding women to a video game which is based in a war that did not actually have women fight make any progress towards equality.
And there was the Assassin's creed thing, they anticipate it very strongly.
You mean where they actually ignored historical accuracy. Huh.
2 things
1. that's largely irrelevant, i'm playing devils advocate and explaining in part why these people react this way the historical significance WAS not to my knowledge an argument presented by the ganes press of that time likewise it makes no significant impact on the reactive state of the parties in question.
2. Explain what you mean by ignored historical accuracy, I'm not well read enough to know how many women were assassins in the chaos of the french revolution nor do i read at length tripe journalist present on topics like this because they are generally withered word salads and far to salty for my tastes.
As in men would have a problem with women on the battlefield? This sounds like utter claptrap if it is. Who said this and who was it specifically directed towards?
I don't really see that being a problem with the player base problem?
Maybe you should read the news that caused this "controversy" in the first place.
The problem is quantification.
There was no news attached to this thread, and you didn't link to any examples. it's not expressed in the op (even if interpreted that way it isn't quantified).
Nobody has pointed to this group of people that don't want women because they are women. There are no communities pointed to and even /v/ doesn't care.
Nor was there any indication to my knowledge that EAs reasoning behind the change was anything to do with these so called people.
Skeptically and rationally i have no reason to be sure these people exist.
What i am asking for is for you to give me some.
Or failing that this is clap trap of the Solanas breed, paranoid, conspiratorial and highly gendered.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Dango said:
On one hand, this isn't the place to start adding female soldiers, that should have been done with Hardline.
There are female soldiers, aren't there? I mean, when I looked it up I saw a bunch of articles and comments about how SJWs and Anita Sarkeesian had forced EA to bow to their agenda by making Hardline include women.
Nah, there was a female police officer in the campaign who was your buddy, but multiplayer didn't have any female officers or criminals.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Lupine said:
Charcharo said:
We are talking about a game that ignores Russia, France, Bulgaria (and their respective battles I think)...
*Whilst flaunitng the ohh so important to the War Americans and black people*

It is stupid, I know, especially since we know it will NOT have a deep or important storyline (probably utter BS) that would analyze the very nature of war or WW1... so yeah I get the whining. But still... more important things were left out.
It is an arcade game with arcade BF-esque gameplay and terrible storytelling. It is about as realistic as COD is (maybe a tad more). Yeah it should have female soldiers, unlike a real WW1 game, but life is hard.

Accept it like I accepted Western Imperialism and its attacks on Eastern Europe.
So I'm going to be that guy. Why exactly did we need to separate Americans and black people? Last I checked most of those black people were Americans, so why then did they need to be singled out for their contribution to a war that took place mostly in Europe. Now if we're talking non-Americans here and non-Europe battles, then I'm going to say that makes a bit more sense than just throwing the same European character models in there and expecting no one to notice.
Actually, the vast majority of the blacks who fought in WWI were just straight-up African, not African-American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KzBDjr-Ys

Yes, WWI was fought in Africa, Asia Minor, the Middle East, SE Asia, and even a naval battle or two off the coast of South America IIRC. It's called World War I for a reason.

On a brighter note, I gotta Pimp The Great War: a YouTube video series that has been chronicling World War I on a week-by-week basis on the events that happened exactly one hundred years ago from the airing of each episode.

Naturally(and keeping on topic), here's their thoughts on the Battlefield 1 trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDA5usUzmg

And for completion's sake(and even more on topic), here's a few things they said about women in WWI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cVSjzuvThE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYz6aWz1cs

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
SAMAS said:
Lupine said:
Charcharo said:
We are talking about a game that ignores Russia, France, Bulgaria (and their respective battles I think)...
*Whilst flaunitng the ohh so important to the War Americans and black people*

It is stupid, I know, especially since we know it will NOT have a deep or important storyline (probably utter BS) that would analyze the very nature of war or WW1... so yeah I get the whining. But still... more important things were left out.
It is an arcade game with arcade BF-esque gameplay and terrible storytelling. It is about as realistic as COD is (maybe a tad more). Yeah it should have female soldiers, unlike a real WW1 game, but life is hard.

Accept it like I accepted Western Imperialism and its attacks on Eastern Europe.
So I'm going to be that guy. Why exactly did we need to separate Americans and black people? Last I checked most of those black people were Americans, so why then did they need to be singled out for their contribution to a war that took place mostly in Europe. Now if we're talking non-Americans here and non-Europe battles, then I'm going to say that makes a bit more sense than just throwing the same European character models in there and expecting no one to notice.
Actually, the vast majority of the blacks who fought in WWI were just straight-up African, not African-American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KzBDjr-Ys

Yes, WWI was fought in Africa, Asia Minor, the Middle East, SE Asia, and even a naval battle or two off the coast of South America IIRC. It's called World War I for a reason.

Ssssshhhhhh... Hey now, don't be too mean to us Americans. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, our world war history lessons (prior to college at least) leave the very distinct impression that if it A) didn't involve the US, B) didn't involve Britain losing (in the lead up to America saving them) or C) didn't involve the French surrendering (again in the lead up to the US saving/liberating them), then it didn't happen.[footnote]obligatory USA, USA, USA! chant here[/footnote]

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
I know I'm late to the party, but didn't EA refer to the singleplayer?
Because there's at least one female soldier (the one on the horse).

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Setec Astronomy said:
altnameJag said:
Setec Astronomy said:
altnameJag said:
Setec Astronomy said:
Just to be clear, nothing has actually happened, right?
You are correct. We've gone 5 pages arguing about a thing that's merely predicted to happen.
Am I just out of my mind to ask... WHY?!?!?!
... Two minute hate?
That's the "What", not so much the "Why?!?!?!?!"
Knee Jerk reaction? Both sides are so primed to go at eachother merely a hint at a future possible conflict is like blood in the water. See women being playable as the line drawn in what is looking to be a weird anachronistic boom fest in a war that was anything but is kind of silly. I was already sperging out about how the French weren't going to be involved or that the gameplay looked like it was going to do the run and gun crap in a war that was so ridiculously far from that conceptually. The game looks retarded, and having playable female soldiers honestly would not be that big a deal in whats looking to be a sea of anachronisms and inaccuracies.

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
erttheking said:
CritialGaming said:
Because sexualized violence is kind of messed up. If you stick someone in a sexualized outfit and then brutalize them it's just...I have no words for it. I never got the appeal of Mortal Kombat putting a woman in a sexy outfit, giving her big tits, and then making it so that you can rip her in half. Then again I never liked the ultra-violence of Mortal Kombat period. I am not bringing consent into this, so I don't know where you were going with that. All I know is that I'm quite disturbed by brutalized women in skimpy outfits, I wonder what the hell the appeal is (I don't think people who want to see sexy women want to see them violently killed, and I don't think people who want violence want to see it happen to sexualized women) and annoyed that it only happens to women.
But that's not sexualised violence.
That's violence on sexy folks.

Sexualised violence would be something akin to dressing someone into a skimpy outfit and then pour some violence on the person(s), for reason of doing it to someone sexy.
And possibly posing them.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Ok so sorta related to what people are talking about in this thread. I am in the middle of replaying 13 because I just wanted something easy to play though. I never really looked at it before but the random female Psicom soldiers are dressed weird. I guess its because they wanted us to know they were female but just having them listed as Huntress would be enough. All the other Psicom enemies are fully covered and the Huntresses are the only ones who arn't. I wouldn't say the outfit is sexual. Its just weird. I guess they thought just having a model dressed the same but with a different body shape wouldn't be enough?

Its nothing to complain about but its something that I've noticed from time to time with randomly generated female combatants. The designers don't seem to have the confidence that the players would know a character is female by silhouette alone. So they over do the designs.

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
mecegirl said:
Ok so sorta related to what people are talking about in this thread. I am in the middle of replaying 13 because I just wanted something easy to play though. I never really looked at it before but the random female Psicom soldiers are dressed weird. I guess its because they wanted us to know they were female but just having them listed as Huntress would be enough. All the other Psicom enemies are fully covered and the Huntresses are the only ones who arn't. I wouldn't say the outfit is sexual. Its just weird. I guess they thought just having a model dressed the same but with a different body shape wouldn't be enough?

Its nothing to complain about but its something that I've noticed from time to time with randomly generated female combatants. The designers don't seem to have the confidence that the players would know a character is female by silhouette alone. So they over do the designs.
I'd chalk that up to bad character design, period.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
ZeDilton said:
mecegirl said:

Bad design and isms tend to go together. Good design requires thought care and consideration. The different isms in the world are how we avoid TCC.

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
nomotog said:
ZeDilton said:
mecegirl said:

Bad design and isms tend to go together. Good design requires thought care and consideration. The different isms in the world are how we avoid TCC.
How do they go together?

Characters should simply be designed to look like they belong doing what they do.
Not sure why a lot of devs seem to shy away from that.

Also, "TCC"?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
ZeDilton said:
nomotog said:
ZeDilton said:
mecegirl said:

How do they go together?

Characters should simply be designed to look like they belong doing what they do.

Also, "TCC"?
Thought care and consideration. (They all kind of mean about the same thing in this context though.) They go together because of what they lack. Effort. If you don't put in effort, you get a bad design and resorting to a ism is a really common way to avoid effort.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
ZeDilton said:
nomotog said:
ZeDilton said:
mecegirl said:

How do they go together?

Also, "TCC"?
Yes, characters should be designed to look like they belong doing what they do. But in the case of badly designed female characters and its connection to sexism, its often that they are designed to show off that they are a girl/woman above all else. That can either come in the form of sexulization, or in just random overt girlyness. The images I posted I would put in the bracket of random overt girlyness.