Fez Creator Responds to Xbox Live Policy Change

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Liggliluff said:
Did he ask for these promotions? I mean, if you don't say what you want, it's hard to give you it. Everything isn't obvious.
If you're a publisher and you don't find it obvious that you should be promoting the shiz-niz yo sellin', you're a complete moron.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Liggliluff said:
Did he ask for these promotions? I mean, if you don't say what you want, it's hard to give you it. Everything isn't obvious.
I find this quote from Disney's The Recess fit perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTOdwx8C3U#t=588s
- "But, it's not fair, he only had to be the New Kid for a few days. I had to do it for three whole years!"
- "Hey, you should have said something"
Except, its a publisher's JOB to do all of the promotion for a game. Its what a publisher is FOR.

Microsoft just wasn't doing its job. Period. And on top of that... to be 'exclusive' the dev had to PAY Microsoft.

How does any of part of this arrangement benefit the developer?

Compare that to say... Steam... and they will typically do a lot to expose a new developer's game on their service. I obviously don't know the specifics of every deal, but... generally, when a game is actually released (or even just up for pre-order), Steam will at least include it in the list of 'announcements' that pop up every so often when you launch the program.

And then there's Greenlight... which, as flawed as it is, at least exposes Steam users to indie games that are either in development, or are already finished and are looking to get on Steam.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Liggliluff said:
I find this quote from Disney's The Recess fit perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTOdwx8C3U#t=588s
- "But, it's not fair, he only had to be the New Kid for a few days. I had to do it for three whole years!"
- "Hey, you should have said something"
You can't even ask Microsoft for your own release date on the XBLAH. They'll roll your arcade title out on Tuesday, January the 12th, a date shown to be a guaranteed failure for anyone who launches, if they want to.

Microsoft's Live policies are horrible for developers, every single dev has said as much.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I think we can all agree he comes across as a prick, but I'm totally on his side, nonetheless.

I still think Microsoft's patch fees were nothing short of extortion; they sound like a fucking loanshark charging five times the going rate for the kidney your dying son needs to live.