Fez Creator: YouTubers Are "Stealing" Content From Game Developers

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SecondPrize said:
No, nobody is broadcasting the source code. Unfortunately, that means jack shit because they're broadcasting the output of that code, which the developers retain the broadcast rights to.
Thats not how it works. A game is software, a piece of code. It is illegal to distribute any part of said code. the video you take while you are playing however belongs to you and not the game, because it is you that make these things happen - they wouldnt without input.

Kuredan said:
So if I make a video series called "Let's Watch" in which I use my own interactions with a movie as the basis for my videos, pausing to make comments, do I owe the movie company revenue for making my videos?
If the movie requires interaction - that is, it could not play itself out without your input, like those form Xfile movies where it was a "Choose your own adventure" movies, then yes. you do not owe revenue for it, technically. Here i could argue that you no longer get under the moral protection of fairness, but as far as law is concerned your not technically breaking it.

You could of course argue that stopping to comment is reviewing, however review do not usually take longer than the art itself.

It was called Mystery Science Theatre 3000 and they had to pay quite a bit to get the rights of some pretty terrible movies,
Ill stop you here. at that last word - movies.

Video games are not movies

If I plagiarize a paper, I don't get to claim it as my own work because I typed it myself or that it was my creation, even if I add extra little bits to the source material I used.
actually, you NEED to plagiarize parts of papers for your own. its a requirement. its just named nicer - literature studies.

It always struck me ironic how we cannot plagiarize but we must copy large swatches of the work, and if you retell exact same thing in your own words it suddenly isnt a copy anymore.

Yes you would actually owe the chainsaw company money for a video using their product
Well i guess i should go call logitech and ask them how much of my paycheck i should give them because i sue their keyboard for work.
Oh, wait, thats already negotiated. its called buying price.

Thyunda said:
Make the video without the content. If you have to pay royalties to use a song, you have to share ad revenue to base your career on somebody else's property. "Free advertising" is absolute bullshit. If you're not invited to advertise, don't take it upon yourself and pretend like you're doing someone a favour.
Not sure which part you are responding to. Let's plays are derivative works that are using game as a tool to produce certain outputs, whether intended by developers or not. that is part, arguibly small part, of what let's play is. derivative works are protected under the video maker copyright and belongs to them. you dont need to pay royalties for derivative works. Its not about advertisement (altrough many people here did claim to that i see). free advertisement is a sideeffect. And a positive one at that.

Oh and you dont need to be invited to advertise. they dont have control on what i say about thier product. i can write bad and good reviews all i want.

Mike Lemond said:
How about we all take a breath for a moment and actually have an intelligent discussion for a change? I have to sift through 20 posts full of bile for each coherent response.

Phil Fish indeed has a point, if you would care to discuss.
well, you could start by actually making some points in why you think he has a point then.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Strazdas said:
I never claimed videogames were movies. I was drawing a comparison between two mediums that have fair use laws, broadcast laws, reproduction laws, etc. Are you saying that the rights holders of game IP don't have those rights? I'm pretty sure they know what their rights are when they copyright their IP. It's usually why they hire lawyers. It's for those reasons that some game publisher don't allow gameplay footage to be published outside their channels. You can't deny the rights holders the rights they have legally obtained because you don't like them or don't want them to. The law is the law. I don't claim to know the specifics of game IP copyright law, but I am familiar with copyright law for theatre productions and marginally familiar with film copyright laws. When I made comparisons from that perspective I made an educated guess.

Title 17, S.106 and 107 of US copyright law does mention the limitations on performing or displaying copyrighted material as well as stipulating fair use. It's a grey area, usually determined in a court case, but fair use favours non-profit use of copyrighted works for educational purpose over the use of copyrighted material for commercial purposes. Monetizing your videos reflects commercial intent. I would imagine most companies don't find it worth their time to track down You Tube "celebrities" because the impact on their business is slight. If some of these channels were earning several hundred thousand dollars a year, I imagine they'd perk up. Just because they haven't shut down infringements on their work doesn't mean they don't have the right to or that the infringements don't happen.

Also videos using copyrighted assets are not derivative works. As I was reading Title 17 (S.101) I saw that derivative works were not defined to cover direct use of the audiovisual source media (computer games are classified as audiovisual media per item 6 of S.102). If you were however to make a flash animation of you playing the game, that would be a derivative work; it resembles the source media but has been sufficiently changed, edited, translated, or abridged to avoid the infringement of copyrights. Yahtzee makes derivative videos, Let's Play does not. I'm not saying Let's Play is illegal, I'm sure they have arrangements with the rights holders, but they are not a derivative work and thus cannot be legally published without the consent of the rights holders.

Bottom line, I'd err on the side of caution rather than cavalierly asserting that there's nothing wrong with what is at best a nuanced and complicated issue. Phil Fish didn't do us any favours by stirring the pot, but I can broadly see his point.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Strazdas said:
SecondPrize said:
No, nobody is broadcasting the source code. Unfortunately, that means jack shit because they're broadcasting the output of that code, which the developers retain the broadcast rights to.
Thats not how it works. A game is software, a piece of code. It is illegal to distribute any part of said code. the video you take while you are playing however belongs to you and not the game, because it is you that make these things happen - they wouldnt without input.
Yeah, the video belongs to you. The rights to broadcast for money videos taken of the output of the code belong to the publishers. You can't put the software in one box and pretend the output of that software is a completely different thing. Your input isn't transforming the work, mods that change the game or reskin everything may lead to a transformative work that wouldn't require permission to stream while monetizing but just playing the game isn't a transformative experience. You may own your decision to go input right or jump at a certain point, but the debate is about whether you own the rights to broadcast it, and you simply don't.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I know plenty of people who have just watched let's plays of Walking Dead or Asura's Wrath, Amnesia and other such games and then never bought them because well, what's the point? While it certainly was profitable for Amnesia, what about the Walking Dead? I imagine that lost loads of sales from lets plays.
DirgeNovak said:
"If you generate money from putting my content on your channel, you owe me money. Simple as that"
Except I already gave you money, Philippe. Because I bought your shitty game.
Please stay gone, prick.
But all those people watching haven't.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Oh Phil, you somehow manage to keep finding increasingly ludicrous ways to demonstrate just how out of touch you are.

In all seriousness, Let's Players and commentators have actually convinced me to buy games I wouldn't have bothered getting at first glance because they did one thing that thickies like Phil don't get; Let's Plays, reviews, so on...these things engage us as an audience. Rather than old fashioned advertising trying to catch our attention with thirty seconds of spiel, these entertainment and review pieces (and that is what they are, entertaining as well as demonstrating game strengths and weaknesses in the course of gameplay, IE, passive reviews) hook us with new approaches even to decades-old works.

In short, by catching my attention and managing to keep it, these videos get me vested in the game and motivated to actually put my own spin on it by getting it and playing it myself...when it's a good game, at least. The other thing these LPs do, which I consider a service bar none because they actually paid money to do so, is demonstrating when a game is crap on toast and showing us exactly why that is. This also keeps devs honest because not only is crap work laid undeniably bare on a public medium, but trying to censor it is the sort of thing that shoots selfish and dishonest developers in the foot.

Short version, he mad? He mad. He also big-mouthed twit, but that goes without saying.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah sure Phil that's why game devs both indie and triple A both send hundreds of free copies to famous youtubers for publicity purposes. It's because they love their games being stolen. You f**king idiot.

Christ even I'm a better businessman than this twat.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Here's the skinny. Phil is an Idiot. Why? Because what is actually stolen? Profit? How so?

These Let's Players and other assorted Youtubers/Streamers got their games the legal way, either they paid for it, in which case they owe you nothing because they PAID for the product and can do whatever the fuck they want with it, including telling other people its a bad game. Or they got a review copy, in which case they didnt buy it but how do you get one of those? From the developers themselves, or the publisher. They dont materialize out of thin air.

So what "profit" are people like Fish entitled to? Not a cent, because whatever money they were entitled to has already been paid in form of purchase of the game. You do not get to make royalties of people talking about your game, or streaming it, or throwing it out the window. That one copy that was purchased now belongs to the person who can do really anything with it. And really Streamers/Youtubers dont make money from just showing off your game, they commentate on the game, they review it, or they interact with their audience. They are entertainers using your game, which they paid for, as part of entertaining.

So no Phil, you dont get royalties for this. The moment your game is sold, you lose any right whatsoever to dictate how it is to be used or not to be used. Because the person who bought your product also bought the right to do whatever they want with that one copy, including but not limited to streaming it, commenting on it, reviewing it, setting it on fire, throwing it in a blender, snorting said blended remains, breaking the disc, laughing at it, telling their friends its bad, and if money allows even fire it into the sun.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
If he really cared about it he could just sign it up for content id, which will give him full profits once it detects it.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I can see his point. Everyone wants free money, and if you can come up with a flimsy justification to GET free money, you might as well try.
Sure it would make you look like a greedy idiot, but money.

But maybe he's just running out of Fez money, and scamming youtubers looks like an easier solution than making more games, I guess?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I kinda get what he is saying, but I think it depends on the game. With a game that changes each time you play it, like the increasing survival games, online games, creation games like minecraft and other such games I see no problem. I got into Minecraft because I saw a lot of it on YouTube and wanted a peice of the action too.

Then again some Lets Plays (a few that I watch myself, and am only just coming to this realisation) play indie games, or games made in the RPG maker/game maker programmes. The games are linear with set puzzles and outcomes, and are sometimes developers early attempts to make money and get into the industry. What I then do is watch someone play it, laugh at their reactions and quips, see the entire story and run through and then never purchase the game myself because there is now no point. I have just witnessed the persons entire work without them getting a penny, and contributed to the lets players income! From that I can totally understand Fish's points, not only do the YouTubers make money from the content, it can also lead to people NOT purchasing the game themselves.

I can see the arguement that they can encourage people to see and buy lesser known games by providing free advertisement for the Devs, but there are definitely 2 sides to the coin on this one. A difficult one to really answer.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I think he has a legitimate point here, but he framed it so badly that people rather kneejerk at his snotty attitude. No, just because that sleazy reporter treated you so badly doesn't give you license to leave your manners at the door, the previous sentence here is why.

What he's saying is that a great deal of sale potential of video games is for people who want to see the game. If somebody records gameplay - or even the entire game - and publishes it all on YouTube (or whatever), then all of that sale potential has just been ripped out of the creators' hands and thrown into public domain. If the person derives cash from it, that's adding insult to injury.

That said, I would say that it depends on the game.

Take, for example, a point-and-click adventure. Those are basically games about discovering what the click on in order to see what happens next. If somebody knows what to click on and simply shows me what happens in the entire game, from start to finish, I'm not going to bother buying that point-and-click adventure because I pretty much got to see all of its entertainment potential without any of the bother of having to pixel hunt. Honestly, some lousy point-and-click adventures are better enjoyed having somebody else do the work!

For an example of a game that watching it played would not diminish its sale potential, take an arena game like Titanfall (FPS example) or DOTA 2 (MOBA example). Running around shooting things in Titanfall is the experience you have come for, not simply watching it. So watching somebody else play it is not going to diminish its potential. It's not like there's some vital plot twist that makes or breaks the game, playing it is what you're there for. (Would you kindly not get Bioshock's plot twist involved, that's something else.) You can stream these kinds of games until the cows come home, and it won't diminish the sale potential of the game, it will only encourage other people to want to play it.

I'm sure somebody mentioned by now that publicity is a factor. Personally, I haven't bothered to buy Fez because the screenshots look boring to me. If I actually took the time to see a video of it, I may actually have become interested in buying it... you know, if I actually had time to play the games I bought already.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
honestly, its just free advertising. the reason people are allowed to post gameplay videos without the risk of violating copyright is because they arent uploading the full experience. you cant get everything out of a game if you are just watching it.

never have i seen videos of a game a really wanted to play, only to go, "well, i guess i dont have any reason to play it now".

the only time gameplay videos turn me off of purchasing a game is if they dont look fun to play. ive watched full walkthroughs of story driven games, but if those videos didnt exist, i sure as hell wouldnt have bothered to buy the games, as the gameplay didnt entice me.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Awwwwwwww, the little man is sad he's not making any more money. What an idiot.
You know, the saddest thing is that even if they started this he wouldn't get any money. Nobody is playing that terrible game of his.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
Phil, it's the people making the videos that draw the viewers. Not the games.
This has been said a lot of times, and called out every time because its utter bollocks. Its a mix of the two. You might have people go to a certain celeb beasue of the celeb, but the game does influence the amount of views a video gets.

Look at TB's vids, Watchdogs 850k views, Wolfenstein 500k, Fistful of Frags 250k

Lets face it you had to look one of those games up on Wikipedia, its also the one with the lowest views despite being one of his older videos. You will find a similar situation with other video creators and the games they cover. And the one with the biggest marketing push and the bigger release of the year, lots more views.

So this kinda shows that the game is a very big factor in the draw in a lot of cases, so stop making the BS argument that its not.