FF13 Producer Explains Why FF7 Remake is Unlikely

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
That makes sense. Also, it's probably for the best. I don't need to be spending $60 on a game I already played. I would do it, too. I would step over my own mother for that game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Thaius said:
To see one of the greatest fantasy stories ever told in modern graphics?
They wouldn't be doing that, they'd just be remaking Final Fantasy VII.

;)

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
anthony87 said:
If they're not going to make it then could they please stop telling us that they're not going to make it?
You know what that means? They're gonna make it. Not. Maybe. Unless they don't not want to maybe remake it possibly.

I don't agree with their "towns are too hard" cop-out either, especially after making bigass cities in FFXII. That ran on the PS2 and I never had any problems while Vaan was jogging through Rabanastre. Nor did I have issues with Dragon Age's big city areas either. FFVII and games of its period in game-making kept things simple: you had the item shop, the weapon shop, and the armor shop. That's it. Oh yeah, and a few houses to rifle through for things. Other games have had these things since, with no real problems. Dragon Age's Denerim even fills theirs with side quests for you, which, as a strategy, is WIN.

Again, they're offering excuses instead of saying "look, we want to move on and make NEW games."

Personally, I think they dropped the ball with action games by not keeping Vagrant Story going (good system, great story, fun game).

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I wouldn't mind remakes of earlier Final Fantasies. I shall have to wait and see what Final Fantasy 13 is like but if it's anything remotely similar to 12 then they would be better off just remaking the old classics.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I hardly care about how much time it would take due to graphics,as long as I got it one day.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
John Funk said:
Thaius said:
To see one of the greatest fantasy stories ever told in modern graphics?
They wouldn't be doing that, they'd just be remaking Final Fantasy VII.

;)
Eh, same thing. My opinion, at least. It's my favorite game... at least it was until Mass Effect 2 challenged its throne. Point being... a remake would be full of win. :)

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
John Funk said:
Either way, it would be nice if someone made a magical device that tracked down anyone in the world who asked or otherwise whined about a Final Fantasy VII remake and kicked them in the groin. Enough is enough already: Can we please stop talking about it now?
Seconded.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
Slycne said:
I hate the internet sometimes- I can't read the phrase "of all time" now without thinking of that weird guy at that award ceremony.
With FF7, it had a lot of very strong points and good gameplay, but I don't see it as really that great. Well, actually, I do think it diserves a good bit of the praise it gets, but when one considers all its shortcomings, I don't see it as that far above other Final Fantasy games. I mean, I found the world and comedic moments in FF8 to be more interesting, and social dynamics of FF9 captured my attention and whimsy more than 7. I guess I don't understand what people see in it that makes it superior to its like-numbered relatives, which are all quality games.

Also, considering how they've just released a ff5 remake for handhelds, who wants to bet that we're not going to get a FF7 mini in a few years, instead?
Consider that FF7's "shortcomings" were technical, FF7's storyline was the best by miles, FF8's Zack moments and FF9's social dynamics do not match the depth and connection FF7 did. They were all quality games, but FF7 was not just a great game, it was the best it could be given the technical constraints of the time. 8's greatness was supresses by the.. I dont wanna say convolution of its story, but the rapidness of how it went from terrorist groups to time travelling world enders left alot to be desired, and IX's late intro of some chars meant you could have a familiar strong party of a new weak on, as opposed to say Sid or Vincent who were strong when they joined no matter. VII's pacing and scale were perfect and to see it as it should be would make it not a classic, but a thing of beauty.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Not sure I buy this. As much as I hated Lost Odyssey and regretted buying it (and as horrendous as the CHARACTER designs were) the environments were absolutely fucking gorgeous. And that was on the 360.

Rythe

Mar 28, 2009
And once again I die a little inside. Not because FF7 isn't getting a remake, but because FF6 doesn't get a mention at all. Best cast, best plot, best villain, and some top-notch graphics given a SNES. You keep gushing over Aeris dying? I can name three *better* scenes in FF6 off the top of my head - The Opera Event, Celes and Cid on the Island (if you fail), Locke bringing Phoenix to his beloved.

And as much as playing with Materia in FF7 was fun, I'd still rather play FF9 over it.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
We will never hear the end of the requesting that 7 be made. All that will be heard now is Why is taking so long and then whenever it does get done someone somewhere is going to complain about how it sucked and that it shouldn't have happened.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
That doesn't explain why they can't do a straight port to the DS.

Feb 13, 2008
They could always...make it on the PC?

Just a thought, but our architecture isn't labyrinthine and the Vista minotaur has been cut down now.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Nazrel said:
John Funk said:
"[A non-stop story] is one of the reasons, but more importantly, it is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style."
It's hilarious how the more "advanced" things become, the less they can actually do.
By that I mean I'm crying on the inside.

That said, really don't care if they make a remake of 7.
It's not that hard to follow; It's the workload.
I'm simplifying here, but bear with me...

An old sprite game, like say... Mario, involved sprites of 8 by 16 pixels, with maybe 3 frames of animation at most.
And using all of about 4 colours at that.

So... you needed to create images for a sprite totaling something like 384 pixels...

The kind of character meshes you'd see on a PS3 or similar, are into the region of 20,000-30,000 polygons, and on top of that, often have 4 or more texture maps that are 1024 by 1024 or larger, and often thousands of frames of animation. (though the methods have changed somewhat, making that relatively less work than a frame of sprite animation.)

If you were to pay as much attention to the little details on a modern character model as was given to old sprites, you'd be looking at paying attention to say...
40,000 points of animation data, 30,000 of character mesh, and 4,000,000 of textures.

That's something like 4 million to 400, or 10,000 times the work.

The reality, fortunately, isn't that bad, but the time required for a single item is still constantly increasing.

To remake FF7 with PS3 level graphics probably would require, at a rough estimate, 10-20 times as much work as creating the original did, simply because of the massive increase in graphical detail.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Well that's it then; a clearer "No" was never uttered until now. Obviously that stupid "big announcement" they hinted at will be something like Kingdom Hearts 3. *Shudder*