Film Study

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Film: The Sting
Actor: No idea. they all are meh for meh.
Actress: And again.
Scene: The heist in the beginning from The Pink Panther Returns
Director: They all do pretty good. I like Speilberg.
Monsters: Iron Monger from the new Iron Man
Villain: Darth Vader
Hero: David Wilkerman [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cross_and_the_Switchblade]
Musical Composer: Tie between John Williams and Hans Zimmer

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hero: Ripply from alien. Pretty much the first female hero.
Villian: Darth Vader. I mean he destroyed a planet, killed children, tortured his daughter and cut off his son's hand.
Monster: Alien, duh.

FranicalFrazical

May 5, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Thats another good category but not many people would have a favourite composer, it'd only be between Zimmer and Williams.... and if he is lucky Danny Elfman

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Film: Goodbye Lenin
Actor: Brad Pitt
Actress: Uma Thurman
Scene: The scene in Bill's house in Kill Bill 2, with the toy guns
Director: The guys who made The Matrix but have really anoying names.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
FranicalFrazical said:
Anarchemitis said:
Thats another good category but not many people would have a favourite composer, it'd only be between Zimmer and Williams.... and if he is lucky Danny Elfman
That's Who I was forgetting!

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Film: The Lives of Others
Actor: Ralph Fiennes, no wait, Daniel Day Lewis
Actress: Marceline Day. I've only seen her in one picture though.
Scene: Extremely difficult. Perhaps the scene in Conversations With Other Women when they're outside in their bathrobes. Or the audition scene in Mulholland Drive.
Director: Steven Spielberg (I would've said Michel Gondry, but Be Kind Rewind was SO disappointing)
Monsters: People infected with the Rage virus.
Villain: Prince Humperdink
Hero: Theo from Children of Men

TheIr0nMike

Mar 3, 2008
Film: Children of Men

Actor: (tie) Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp

Actress:

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Scene: (tie) One when everyone stops what they are doing to catch a glimpse at a baby, aka human's hope for survival, in Children of Men and the Gutterballs scene in The Big Lebowski

Monster: Zombies from 28 Days/Weeks Later. If that doesn't count, Godzilla

Villain: (tie) The immortal man that fights Prisoner KSC2-303 (just watch Versus) and Darth Vader (PurpleRain, you forgot he killed Natalie
Portman, 'nuff said)

Hero: Ting (Tony Jaa's character in Ong-Bak)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Oh, and who could forget Brad Bird and John Lasseter.
[img_inline width="400" caption="These guys totally have it together."]http://i.afterdawn.com/v3/news/Pixar_animation_studios_logo.jpg[/img_inline]

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Quite a mix of predictable (given the web site we're on) choices and really bizzare ones on this question. I've never even heard of a few of the movies mentioned. I've seen a lot of movies so it's hard to narrow it down to one best of each category (especially when new movies keep coming out) but here goes:

My votes are:
Best Movie: E.T. (I've seen it more times than I care to count yet it evokes the same responses and emotions in me that it was intended to each time I see it; has some great performances; memorable music and scenes; makes excellent use of the effects techniques of it's time and had an impact on those who saw it. All marks of a great movie.)

Best Actor: Sean Connery (He has the ability to show genuine looking emotions; can do, and pretty much has done, every genre of movie; give great performances in great, ok and even terrible movies (The "new" version of The Avengers anyone?); has played many iconic characters yet manages to continue career without being typecast into the same kind of role as his best known one (James Bond); etc.)

Best Actress: Gracie Allen (I know most people haven't seen a movie with her in it in years but you should see the ones she was in. She could be hilarious, sexy, serious, strong, vulnerable etc all in the same movie. It's a tough call since so many actresses look and act similar, especially these days, that it's hard to separate them out.)

Scene: The scene in Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader saves Luke from the Emperor. (That's really a tough one, but that scene is one of the most memorable for me. Besides, it is the pivotal moment in the whole Star Wars series when Anakin is redeemed from the Dark Side. I mean the seduction, fall and eventual redeption of Anakin Skywalker is really what the whole series of films is about.)

Director: Mel Gibson (Bet you thought I would say George Lucas huh? No, Gibson deserves way more praise than he gets. Especially for Passion of the Christ. It took a lot of guts for him to make that movie. I practicly blackballed him in Hollywood and he had to use his own money to make it since the studios were too wimpy to take the risk. Any director or producer who will put his neck on the line to make a movie like that is great in my opinion.)

I have lots of "honorable mentions" for each category, but I won't bore you with those. I know I picked some of the same things as others did but these are my honest opinions which I guess you are after.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Yay! A fellow film student! Who shares my dislike of the Godfather! (Goodfellas is infinitely superior.) Woot! It's very tough to ask me this off the top of my head but my votes go to:

Best Film: Oldboy/Toy Story/Evil Dead 2/Leon (All of them are perfect.)
Best Actor: Ed Norton/Jack Nicholson
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Scene: The "Ash is going crazy" scene in Evil Dead 2.
Best Director: Christopher Nolan
Monster: The Alien Queen (There is no other choice here.)
Hero: Ash from Evil Dead 2. No contest. Disagree and you are wrong.
Villain: Gary Oldman in Leon

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, we're doing Monster, Hero & Villain now? Okay...

Monster: Aileen Wuornos...

Sorry, I had to say it. It won't happen again, I promise. ^_^;
Okay, do-over:

Monster: Reavers
Hero: The Bride
Villain: Edmund, the bastard son of Gloucester (hey, there are several film adaptations of King Lear out there, go easy on me)

Johnnyweird

May 7, 2008
Oh god, some of these lists are provoking my inner film geek/troll.
Well, I shouldn't say 'inner.' But whatever.

I approve of these lists.
Larenxis said:
Film: The Lives of Others
Actor: Ralph Fiennes, no wait, Daniel Day Lewis
Actress: Marceline Day. I've only seen her in one picture though.
Scene: Extremely difficult. Perhaps the scene in Conversations With Other Women when they're outside in their bathrobes. Or the audition scene in Mulholland Drive.
Director: Steven Spielberg (I would've said Michel Gondry, but Be Kind Rewind was SO disappointing)
Monsters: People infected with the Rage virus.
Villain: Prince Humperdink
Hero: Theo from Children of Men
Cousin_IT said:
Film: A Scanner Darkly
Actor: Jack Nicholson
Actress: hmmm...I honestly cant thinkg of a favourite actress :-(
Scene: Im gonna say the corridor fight scene in Oldboy
Director: urm...I dont have one. One day its Fritz Lang, the next its Richard Linklater the next its someone else. Depends on what movie genres im thinking about
Monsters: Wheelers (from return to Oz)
Villain: Nurse Ratched too (the only villan ive ever felt genuine hatred for in a movie)
Hero: Nameless (from the film Hero)
tendo82 said:
Aguirre the Wrath of God/ Marlon Brando/ Debra Winger/ Cafe Scene in Band of Outsiders/ Andre Tarkovsky

FranicalFrazical

May 5, 2008
Strafe Mcgee said:
Yay! A fellow film student! Who shares my dislike of the Godfather! (Goodfellas is infinitely superior.)
Exactly what I believe I thank you but the hate has nothing to do with the study, if Godfather wasn't disqualified there wouldn't be much point in making this

Goodfellas better than Godfather yes, Taxi Driver even better though :)

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Film: Fight Club

Actor: Kevin Spacey - Just because he has the most amazing face. He's been slipping in his choice of films recently but his pre-2000 work like L.A. Confidential, American Beauty, and The Usual Suspects is phenomenal.

Actress: Cate Blanchett - I loved The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Scene: "We're gonna need a bigger boat" - enough said - the fact that you know which scene I mean by that quote alone just exemplifies my point.

Director: Steven Spielberg (yes yes yes I know it's not a very interesting or exciting choice but who else could have made a ugly, bald, grey alien seem lovable and cute?)

Monsters: Spielberg's T.Rex. Ah, oo or maybe his shark. I don't know. No I'm gonna go with the dinosaur. In a fight, both could kick Scott's Alien's arse any day though.

Villain: Hans Gruber (but Alan Rickman is always the best baddie - see the 1991 Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - "I'll cut his heart out with a spoon!")

Hero: Marge Gunderson from Fargo.

Eyeball Kid

May 12, 2008
Movie - Pan's Labyrinth

Actor - Klaus Kinski

Actress - Ingrid Bergman

Scene - Ofelia tells her unborn brother a bedtime story in Pan's Labyrinth:
"Many, many years ago in a sad, faraway land, there was an enormous mountain made of rough, black stone. At sunset, on top of that mountain, a magic rose blossomed every night that made whoever plucked it immortal. But no one dared go near it because its thorns were full of poison. Men talked amongst themselves about their fear of death, and pain, but never about the promise of eternal life. And every day, the rose wilted, unable to bequeath its gift to anyone... forgotten and lost at the top of that cold, dark mountain, forever alone, until the end of time."

Director - Alfred Hitchcock

Hero - Rick from Casablanca

Villain - Harry Lime from The Third Man

Monster - The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth

For the record, though, disqualifying movies on the basis of "bias" (thinking it's a great movie) or on the basis of "it sucks" (your personal taste) is total BS, and I cast my vote under protest. Instead of putting certain films off-limits, you should make a note that you must have seen the film you're voting for. May you receive a poor grade for your project.

Ellisia

Mar 17, 2008
Movie - I am Sam (simply for Sean Penn's performance)

Actor - Kevin Spacey/Sean Penn

Actress - Helen Mirren, especially in Calender Girls

Scene - The final scene of "Mr Hollands Opus"

Director - Robert Redford (Lions for lambs and A river runs through it)

Hero - Terry McCaleb (Blood work)

Villain - Mr Brooks

Monster - Mr Stay Puff from Ghostbusters

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Ah I forgot about Pan?s Labyrinth! That was an amazing film. I?d put Capitán Vidal as my favourite villain actually; that scene with the rabbit hunters was so scary, every time he came back on screen after that moment my heart rate shot through the roof.

I don?t understand all the rave about The Godfather, I?m not a fan of Scorsese either, I just find that whole elitist-crime genre (Goodfellas etc) a bit boring. Interestingly though, while everyone has rushed to the walls ready for battle for The Godfather, no one has mentioned the fact that we?re not allowed to like Pirates of the Caribbean. Okay it didn?t exactly make waves in the world of ?hard-core? cinema, but the first one was funny, witty, and very entertaining ? everything it set out to do (sweet Jesus they did bugger up its sequels though). All I?m saying is, if you?re going to say we can?t choose ?bad films? then why have you asked us such a subjective question?

Sorry I hate reading posts that just have a rip at the title, this is intended as advice.

The ?waves? pun was intentional you smirking movie buffs

The names Kettle, Black Kettle

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Movie: The Clockwork Orange
Actor: Daniel Day Louis
Actress: Tilda Swinton
Scene: In 2001: A Space Odyssey, the scene where Bowman and Poole lock themeselves up to discuss what to do with HAL, not knowing that HAL is watching and listening to every word they say (through a dimley litten red bulb that's just sitting there).
Director: Stanley Kubrik.
Hero: Corbin Dallas (5th Element)
Villan: Darth Vader
Monster: The Ranckor (Star Wars: Return of the Jedi)