Film This Chick Stuff! Part One: A Call for Aid

JunebugJuJuBee

Sep 6, 2010
Birthe said:
I'd like to see MTV's Daria The Movie... or maybe not as this probably wouldn't work, but at least she's a strong individual character and doesn't turn my stomach like Barbie does.
I was about to say Daria when I read this post. I would love a really good Daria movie.

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
A really good Daria movie would be awesome, or at least a movie with a character that has at least similar qualities like she has. I really miss the girl characters of the 90ties cause they seemed more strong and less girly, nowerdays they all want to be a popstar or something like that on the TV Shows.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
MaraJade03 said:
Sheinen said:
You just listed 4 of my childhood staples! Awesome, I thought I was the only person who'd ever seen the Last Unicorn! Oooh, did you ever see The Flight of the Dragons? I had it on the same tape when I was a kid...
OMG YES I remember Flight of the Dragons!! That was such a great film and beautifully animated too. I wish that came out on DVD so I finally get a copy and put it next to the Last Unicorn.
I loved that frickin tape! I think it was tragically damaged beyond repair, but I have managed to track down copies of both. So beautiful...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
conflictofinterests said:
I would like to add that another misconception is that putting boobs on it will make us relate to it better.

Warning: Anthropologist nonsense-tangent coming up: Most matriarchal, as in dominated by women rather than men, societies don't wear clothing that emphasize the breasts, or really any other part of the body. The emphasis is less on the shape of the person and more on color (which if you want to try to make a statement about prehistoric gender roles, might fit in with a theory that men had to distinguish similarly colored animals from one another at a distance (emphasis on shape for hunting) and women had to distinguish similarly shaped vegetation from one another(emphasis on color for gathering).)

Anyways, just saying sticking boobs on something doesn't make for good girl-centered programming either.
Well aware, believe me.

marygoodden

Nov 3, 2009
Whilst Lego was definitely my favourite toy, The_Dreamstone [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/] was my favourite TV show.

I would have thought it's well balanced between boys and girls (lightning/guitars/Evil Nightmare Lord Zordrac vs. Forest creatures/clouds/Amberley the Noop), but that's only if you want to stereotype and say boys like storms and girls like rainboys etc. I'm quite partial to both.

Anyway, The Dreamstone [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gseda0NpAF8] everybody!

^youtube link

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I agree with Aqualung in that girls toys have had a serious lack of actual conflicts. Guys toys were always going, "Uh oh! (Insert problem). Luckily (insert hero toy) is here to save the day." Meanwhile most girl toys from way back when were more about escapism into a gender role without any conflict whatsoever. In the end, a movie could not be made without the insertion of some conflict, which led to movies like "Bratz the movie". Ugh!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
vid87 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
conflictofinterests said:
Anyways, just saying sticking boobs on something doesn't make for good girl-centered programming either.

If anything, it'd make for more guy-centered stuff.
Depends on how it's presented. Especially if you're marketing to prepubescent boys, like most toys are.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Oh ohhhh I thought of something. I Always wanted to see what would happen if the did a Remake of Legend. The one with unicorns, a demon played by Tim Curry, faires and goblins. It be really nice to see it redone (and maybe R rating but unlikely). Does that Movie count of Chick Stuff?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I don't think you're going to find a lot of girly-girls in the geek community. I indulged in some of that stuff in the 80s & early 90s, but when puberty kicked in, I became a tomboy who had male friends & mostly male interests, unable to sympathise with & barely get along with other women, unless they were tomboy geeks too.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
MaraJade03 said:
Oh ohhhh I thought of something. I Always wanted to see what would happen if the did a Remake of Legend. The one with unicorns, a demon played by Tim Curry, faires and goblins. It be really nice to see it redone (and maybe R rating but unlikely). Does that Movie count of Chick Stuff?
Blasphemy! That movie must remain untained & pure! You might as well be suggesting a remake of Interview with the Vampire.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
likalaruku said:
MaraJade03 said:
Blasphemy! That movie must remain untained & pure! You might as well be suggesting a remake of Interview with the Vampire.
which version? the US version with Tangerine Dreams soundtrack of the longer British version with more Lily/Darkness talking scenes with the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack?
and come on a remake wouldn't be that bad, it wouldn't have crazy Tom Cruise.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
MaraJade03 said:
likalaruku said:
MaraJade03 said:
which version? the US version with Tangerine Dreams soundtrack of the longer British version with more Lily/Darkness talking scenes with the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack?
and come on a remake wouldn't be that bad, it wouldn't have crazy Tom Cruise.
I own both.

It's one of the only 3 movies Tom Cruise made that he eitiher looked attractive (he looks ugly with short hair) or that I'm willing to watch. Becides, all the remakes thay make these days are horrid with abysmal new soundtracks.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
likalaruku said:
I own both.

It's one of the only 3 movies Tom Cruise made that he eitiher looked attractive (he looks ugly with short hair) or that I'm willing to watch. Becides, all the remakes thay make these days are horrid with abysmal new soundtracks.
I own both too. And love each version, so fun to watch now and then.

Though some movie remake tend to be poor lately, I think Legend has a Good shot seeing as it is a little Quirky so it may work well being redone. Besides a remake does not ruin the original, if the remake actually does suck usually makes the original look better. I just hope if it happens they get Tim Curry to do the voice of Darkness.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Non of us were ready but all were starving for the Pony invasion and that is why I bumped this. Faust I'd sign with you anytime