Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Full Review (spoilers)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I mean was he hyped in the OG? He just rambles and then you fight and never deal with him again.

In Rebirth you fight him again. So i mean having him be a reoccurring boss is far more threatening than a 1 and done isnt it?
That's my whole point, that was an easy area to improve for the remake, they didn't and instead we got fate ghost...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A balance needs to be struck between introducing new elements and maintaining the clear, impactful storytelling that fans admired in the original.
Except it doesnt.

See all of these concerns lose traction when you point out that you can still play the original game. So if thats the story and characterization you want you can play that.

A remake project that was so faithful everything remained the same would not end up nearly as exciting as what we have now. It toys with fans but it does so in a qay to make them excited about a mystery again.

And despite all of it, the story we all know is still happening. It might zig instead of zag but it still is getting off at the same exit.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except it doesnt.

See all of these concerns lose traction when you point out that you can still play the original game. So if thats the story and characterization you want you can play that.

A remake project that was so faithful everything remained the same would not end up nearly as exciting as what we have now. It toys with fans but it does so in a qay to make them excited about a mystery again.

And despite all of it, the story we all know is still happening. It might zig instead of zag but it still is getting off at the same exit.
The point that you can still play the original Final Fantasy VII if you prefer its straightforward storytelling and characterisations is valid. However, it doesn't entirely dismiss concerns about the Remake's alterations.

While preserving access to the original game ensures that its narrative and emotional impacts remain available, the Remake's deviations aren't just about creating a new experience - they also redefine and potentially complicate the original story's themes and character arcs.

The excitement generated by introducing new mysteries and possibilities in the Remake is undeniable and does rejuvenate interest.

Yet, for some fans, these changes may shift the core experience too far from the original's spirit, which was part of its enduring appeal. While the Remake might follow the same broad narrative path - with its 'zigs' instead of 'zags' - the nuances of these deviations can significantly affect how the story feels and how characters' motivations are perceived.

So, while it's true that the original game remains playable, the Remakes exists in dialogue with it, and changes to the Remake inevitably colour the perception and legacy of the original. The challenge is to innovate in a way that respects and complements the source material, enriching rather than overshadowing it.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
, for some fans, these changes may shift the core experience too far from the original's spirit, which was part of its enduring appeal. While the Remake might follow the same broad narrative path - with its 'zigs' instead of 'zags' - the nuances of these deviations can significantly affect how the story feels and how characters' motivations are perceived.
Then how come the complaints are only ever about the story and not about the complete upheaval of the combat and gameplay? Complaints that the mini games arent the same?

It's a weird thing. Changes are either okay or they aren't. And most people are okay with changes that expand the story and expand the characters and the best jrpg combat probably ever. But adding mystery and twists to the established story is off limits. It seems like people are okay only with the thing they like and then will just be upset and closed off to difference that cross whatever imaginary line in their head.

I dont get it. The themes of FF7 are very much present and the story is just more "modern anime".

Whatever people cant hate for silly reasons, im going to continue to enjoy the best trilogy ever made.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Then how come the complaints are only ever about the story and not about the complete upheaval of the combat and gameplay? Complaints that the mini games arent the same?

It's a weird thing. Changes are either okay or they aren't. And most people are okay with changes that expand the story and expand the characters and the best jrpg combat probably ever. But adding mystery and twists to the established story is off limits. It seems like people are okay only with the thing they like and then will just be upset and closed off to difference that cross whatever imaginary line in their head.

I dont get it. The themes of FF7 are very much present and the story is just more "modern anime".

Whatever people cant hate for silly reasons, im going to continue to enjoy the best trilogy ever made.
The varying reactions to changes in Final Fantasy VII Remake between story elements and gameplay mechanics highlight a fascinating aspect of gaming culture and fan expectations.

It’s not uncommon for fans to accept and even praise modifications in gameplay and mechanics, as these are often seen as improvements or necessary adaptations to modern gaming standards.

For instance, the overhaul from turn-based to real-time combat is often viewed as an evolution that makes the game more engaging for today's audience.

In contrast, changes to the story or characters can be more controversial because they affect the emotional and narrative aspects that fans have strong attachments to.

Story and characters form the heart and soul of the experience for many players, making alterations in these areas more sensitive.

For example, introducing new twists or altering character fates can feel like it undermines the original themes or the integrity of the story that fans cherished.

This dichotomy suggests that what is considered an acceptable change can be highly subjective and often depends on personal attachment to specific elements of a game.

While gameplay innovations are typically seen as enhancements, narrative changes can be perceived as tampering with the core identity of the story, leading to mixed reactions among the fanbase. Therefore, discussions about such changes are often more heated and divided.

It's a complex issue, reflecting how deeply players connect with different aspects of games and what they value most in their gaming experiences.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except it doesnt.

This is just an argument against remaking anything. Why make REmake?! We've already got Resi Evil 1, just play that...!

Well, obviously because people would enjoy an updated, polished version with newer hardware behind it. Hence all remakes.

I have to keep reiterating: nobody is asking for absolutely everything to stay the same. This is a strawman.

The exits taken so far have been about multiverses and fate police being overthrown. Those have been the primary narrative and thematic beats in the denouements so far. Those are categorically not the same exits.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the sequel/alternate reality thing that draw on every other piece of media from FF7 universe was just SE shooting themselves pointlessly in the feet, multiple time (although it hard to say if that's really the cause of low sale).

Let look at it this way, there's potentially four type of audience members:

1-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and loved it most/all.
2-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and mostly disliked it (I'm here).
3-People who played FF7 but didn't really touch anything since.
4-People who haven't played FF7 (by far the biggest segment).

Making the game a sequel/alternate reality literally only please the first group of people, every other group either doesn't care or find that a negative, crucially that include 4. On the other hand, making it either a straight remake would please 1, 2, 3 and not bother 4 and really changing the game story (without drawing on any other piece of media) would have been positive or at least neutral (1 would like it, 2/3 could go either way and 4 would be neutral).

(You could say there's an extra group who played FF7 and didn't like it, but those probably wouldn't play the remake or at least not care about it being a sequel/alternate reality and would probably prefer a major story change).

Maybe the Nibehleim flashback should have at least been included in remake so that there would be an hook for newer player to keep playing the trilogy. From their point of view, remake ends in a really awkward spot. The fate creature things are killed (although its not clear why they had to be), Shinra seems ineffectual (president was just killed, they're blowing up their own reactor better than avalanche could ever hope too and anyway you just left their headquarter) and Sephiroth isn't really doing anything evil, has already been defeated and seems to just want to cooperate with Cloud anyway.
I completely agree with this analysis.

The categorisation of the audience segments illustrates the challenge of meeting diverse expectations within Final Fantasy VII Remake & Rebirth. Your point about how the narrative decisions could alienate those not deeply embedded in the FF7 lore is probably true.

Also, suggesting improvements like including the Nibelheim flashback offers a practical solution that could help in making the storyline more accessible and engaging for newcomers.

Last edited:

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
On another note, even if I disagreed with the plot direction, I did want to play it but am unable to because, as I said, I don't have a current-gen console. Just wanted to get a take on an element of the gameplay as I haven't played obviously. You, clearly, really enjoyed it.

I have heard from some people that, in one sense, it's similar to the first remake (which I did play on release) in that they have padded a lot of it out with unrelated busy work, if not more so with the open world. I have also heard that they have added dozens of mini-games which aren't that fun, but you don't have to do the majority of them.

Is the way this is portrayed untrue or is there some truth to it? Not putting the gameplay down myself, just wondering as I've only heard reviews second-hand. For example, people were praising Breath of The Wild like the second coming when it came out but I didn't find it that compelling personally when I eventually played it.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On another note, even if I disagreed with the plot direction, I did want to play it but am unable to because, as I said, I don't have a current-gen console. Just wanted to get a take on an element of the gameplay as I haven't played obviously. You, clearly, really enjoyed it.

I have heard from some people that, in one sense, it's similar to the first remake (which I did play on release) in that they have padded a lot of it out with unrelated busy work, if not more so with the open world. I have also heard that have added dozens of mini-games which aren't that fun, but you don't have to do the majority of them.

Is the way this is portrayed untrue or is there some truth to it? Not putting the gameplay down myself, just wondering as I've only heard reviews second-hand. For example, people were praising Breath of The Wild like the second coming when it came out but I didn't find it that compelling personally when I eventually played it.
It is an open world game, it has a lot of extra stuff to do as every open world game does. I dont know why people complain about having more game to play especially since it is optional (besides a few forced tutorial ones). If you dont want to do the side shit you dont have to and you be push main story all the way through.

However if you dont want to do open world stuff then just go watch the story on youtube and save the money. There is a shitload of content in the game and people should be happy that there is a lot of value for money.

Mini games are mostly fun there are 30 of them, only a couple are bad and almost all of them are optional. There is one section in the game that isnt really a mini game but its got a mini mechanic that sucks but it only takes like 30 minutes to finish.

99% of the game is great imo but no game is perfect and there are hiccups here and there. Nothing to crazy though.