Final Fantasy 9, what do you name your characters?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Here's what I have on my current playthrough on IOS:

Zidane - Zidane
Vivi - Merlin
Steiner - TinMan (Spaces are not allowed)
Garnet - Zelda (she doesn't want anyone to know she's a Princess, LOL. I should have named Zidane Link)
Freya - RatFace
Quina - Gluttony
Eiko - I don't know what I will name her when I get her.
Amarant - When I get him, I plan to name him Crono due to his hair

How about you guys?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
totheendofsin said:
I usually stick with the defaults, I have zero imagination for this stuff
I also always stick to the original names unless I'm feeling like an ass, in which case I'll name them their "secret identity"

For example, I would name Garnet Garnet so that she was telling everyone her real name when she was supposed to be hiding! Hilarious!

...I had a very low bar for comedy as a child.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
totheendofsin said:
I also always stick to the original names unless I'm feeling like an ass, in which case I'll name them their "secret identity"

For example, I would name Garnet Garnet so that she was telling everyone her real name when she was supposed to be hiding! Hilarious!

I still find stuff like that funny. Like calling Steiner Rusty and then at some point an NPC calls him Rusty because of his rusted armor.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
Zidane - Flash
Vivi - Zero
Steiner - Steel
Garnet - Tessa
Freya - Freya
Quina - ForkGuy
Eiko - Mimi
Amarant - Chaos

On Tippy's note...
Here's an interesting one for VII:

Cloud - Zack
Tifa - Marlene
Barret - Dyne
Ciat Sith - Reeve
Red XIII - Nanaki
Vincent - Hojo
Aerith - Sephiroth
Cid and Yuffie stayed the same. I think.

Made things as confusing as hell. Good fun.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I never rename characters that already have established canon names as I do not feel the need to do so.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
totheendofsin said:

You and me both, I wonder if something like "the princess" would fit, I'll find out if the PC release looks as good as those background art that have been circulating on the internet.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
I haven't played it since it's original release but I remember I also named the princess Garnet. She was saying something about needing a new name, asked what that small, bladed weapon was called and was all, "A dagger, eh? Well, then I shall be called... Garnet." I just liked the name Garnet better, but it made things awkward sometimes.

Not as bad as renaming Amarant, though. I named him Adrian just sort of on a whim... for the rest of the game he kept referring to himself as "The Flaming Adrian."

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I also stuck with Garnet's real name, although that was mainly because "Dagger" felt like a strange name for anyone. And if memory serves the Dagger name stays with you throughout the whole game even after her secret gets out and that kinda annoyed me.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Cant remember only ever played it twice once to completion and the other time to the end of the third disc. First time I play a FF game though if I can change the first (usually main) characters name I always call them Rog whether they are male or female.

Trying to think back to 1999 when I first played it though I dont think I bothered making many changes only ones I can remember were Zidane was Rog and Dagger was Garnet.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I never rename established characters in RPG's. It just seems odd considering that everyone will only ever refer them by the default names anyway. The exceptions that come to mind right now are Pokemon (since the "name" of any given Pokemon, other than legendaries, is really the name of the species) and Garnet from FF9, given the in-game reason for a name change.

First time around I kept Garnet cause I thought Dagger was a stupid name. It made for some interesting dialogue but the reason for the name change becomes irrelevant post-disc 1 so it's good to keep Garnet for that reason. Second time around I went for Korra... because why not.

I may actually stick with Dagger next time. There are good in-game reasons for having it, most of which serve to add depth to Garnet and her character. She led a very sheltered life in the castle and knew next-to-nothing about how the world worked, so whenever she leaves and has to make a major decision (what to call herself), she picks a seemingly random object for inspiration - like a child who doesn't know any better. It also has a nice symmetry with another big decision she makes later on...

Another interesting choice is Sarah :p Only if you do the Eidolon-wall side-quest later though.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I renamed Zidane to something that sounds less like a footballer, the rest I kept as is.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I go with default names, but Dagger is, due primarily to the character limit, "Stabber." If I had more room I'd go with "Slitpipes" or "Pokeystick" or "Ouchmaker," but damn game.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Michel Henzel said:
I never rename characters that already have established canon names as I do not feel the need to do so.
This basically. I prefer to have canonical names in my games.

Branovices said:
Not as bad as renaming Amarant, though. I named him Adrian just sort of on a whim... for the rest of the game he kept referring to himself as "The Flaming Adrian."
For some reason I feel this sounds like it should be the name of a cocktail.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
totheendofsin said:

I always do this, The most obvious examples are Red XIII is named Nanaki and Frog is named Glenn.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Freya became Ratface. I can't remember what we called everyone else, but naming her Ratface was our proudest moment.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I named Vivi 'fuck it' for one glorious play through. Warning: Might result in lack of breathing, the scenes during the festival of the hunt MIGHT kill you for funniest dialogue ever accidentally conceived.

But like many others, I usually name them their default names, it's just more comfortable that way.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
As with any RPG where the characters have default names, I just use the default names.
I am boring.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
totheendofsin said:
I do this too. I used to name the main characters after me but any time I'm given an option to name a character and they have a default, I'll just keep their name as the default. I only really go nuts with naming in games where I can straight-up make my characters.