Final Fantasy IX....What am I missing?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
FF9 was a love letter to the ORIGINAL fan base.

I started with FF1 on the NES, went to FF2(4) and then FF3(6) and then CT (not a FF game, but jrpg by square-soft).

FF7, to this day, is nothing but a mediocre JRPG.
But, when I was younger, I felt almost 'betrayed' because FF7 was such a LETDOWN.
-Mostly crummy cast, boring battle system, no epic 'World of Ruin' moment, no tugs at the heart strings 'on that cliff' moments (the white mage dying didn't really 'get' to me), and a mediocre OST.

After that you had FF8, which I have a weird love/hate relationship with, that skipped most of the 'fantasy' aspects and tried to hard to be 'modern'.

But then FF9...happened.
Out of nowhere Square made a JRPG that FELT like the older games.

It was presented as lighthearted, fantasy world, with graphics designed to not be realistic, but 'fun'.

The story was fairly well paced, and did its damnedest to hit every major event with gusto.
-
The characters, while basically tropes, were enjoyable (minus the CatSith wanna be 'whatever its name is').
-
The main, and even some of the side, cast grew into more likeable/hated as the story progressed.
-
The battle system was made with grind in mind, and each character was actually unique beyond just their 'limit breaks'.
-
The OST was just, fantastic, and nostalgia driven...even though I do prefer more of FF8's OST.
-
About the only things 'wrong' with the game was the HORRID card game and the retarded final boss.
-Also: I kind of wish 'you know who' had STAYED dead, I think it would have had more of an impact.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
My favourite things in Final Fantasy IX were the colourful world, the light hearted protagonist, the simple battle system, and just the intangible charm. I find it the most heart-warming entry of the series.

Captcha: funny farm

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I used to really dislike FFIX, now I'm playing through it again and am wondering what exactly I hated about it. The characters are great and their dynamics with each other are fantastic. That's actually why I was so critical of Snow and Hope's story together. It all felt so shoe-horned and turned out boring. But in FFIX, Steiner and Zidane hate each other the whole time, but don't really come out as friends on the other side, they just kind of have a mutual respect for one another, rather than a hatred. It was much better put together than XIII.

However, I dunno if I'd put it in my top five, but I'm really weird because I have always preferred VIII.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
It was one of the only final fantasy games to actually have characters in it that personalities beyond emo little bitches. It also had good atmosphere and humor which made it rather enjoyable.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
( was qaulity and did not suffer from the Jpop inspired watering down of everything. Tho it has issues with plot and soem of the characters but FF8 was worse, 7 was only a bit better. I think they got it good with X but the gameplay was off and the lead male was a dumb blonde who got stupid for 12 ><

All in all FF9's gameplay,equipment and everything mechanics wise was amazing more than any game since 6.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
scorptatious said:
Marik2 said:
Just got this game and started playing it for 2 hours.

Really like the charm it has with being whimsical. Loved the play and the characters that I play.

But not sure if I will live the card game, seems tacked on
Yeah, the card game doesn't have much use in the game. You don't get any major rewards for getting all the cards or winning a certain amount of games.

Really, all it is is a distraction. Nothing more.

There is a segment in the game in which you have to do a few card games, but so long as you save in between matches, you shouldn't have very much trouble with them.
That's good to hear, thought the card game would be really important in some battles or gaining valuable weapons or something

Don't like the format of the card battles

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Seeing as how I haven't liked a FF game since VI on the SNES, I really never got all the hype about them.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Nine had... well, this

I'm a black waltz Mother****** watch as I am all awesome and better than you... Vivi what are you doing? Vivi, VIVI STAHP!!!

Just one of my loved moments in the game :D

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Tanis said:
FF9 was a love letter to the ORIGINAL fan base.

I started with FF1 on the NES, went to FF2(4) and then FF3(6) and then CT (not a FF game, but jrpg by square-soft).

FF7, to this day, is nothing but a mediocre JRPG.
But, when I was younger, I felt almost 'betrayed' because FF7 was such a LETDOWN.
-Mostly crummy cast, boring battle system, no epic 'World of Ruin' moment, no tugs at the heart strings 'on that cliff' moments (the white mage dying didn't really 'get' to me), and a mediocre OST.

After that you had FF8, which I have a weird love/hate relationship with, that skipped most of the 'fantasy' aspects and tried to hard to be 'modern'.

But then FF9...happened.
Out of nowhere Square made a JRPG that FELT like the older games.

It was presented as lighthearted, fantasy world, with graphics designed to not be realistic, but 'fun'.

The story was fairly well paced, and did its damnedest to hit every major event with gusto.
-
The characters, while basically tropes, were enjoyable (minus the CatSith wanna be 'whatever its name is').
-
The main, and even some of the side, cast grew into more likeable/hated as the story progressed.
-
The battle system was made with grind in mind, and each character was actually unique beyond just their 'limit breaks'.
-
The OST was just, fantastic, and nostalgia driven...even though I do prefer more of FF8's OST.
-
About the only things 'wrong' with the game was the HORRID card game and the retarded final boss.
-Also: I kind of wish 'you know who' had STAYED dead, I think it would have had more of an impact.
This right here pretty much encapsulates what made IX such a great game.

To date Final Fantasy IX is the ONLY FF game that I have played through and beaten more than once. I loved the game that much. The story, the characters, the combat, the music. It is just phenomenal. I even enjoyed the card game!

To be honest, I think it's only gotten better for me over the years. You see I came into the FF franchise with 7. As the years went on and I either played or learned about the other games in the FF franchise I came to realize that FF IX was just LOADED with all sorts of easter eggs from past FF games.

IX is perhaps my absolute favorite game in the franchise, with VII taking a close second.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
it was kind of a celebration of final fantasy to that point and a last hurrah before final fantasy X took the bizarre choices of FF7 and FF8 and ran with them whole hog with FFX

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
One of the best Final Fantasy stories probably ever. In my opinion, IX is second in that category only to VI. Most of the cast has a huge arc to them that makes them compelling, even more than in VII IMO. With Zidane trying to come to terms with who he is and where he came from, from Steiner trying to be a more complete person, Garnet going through hell to save her kingdom, and Vivi of course having some of the most complex issues ever presented in the series on a single character. Kuja (despite the... questionable design) is one of the most well-rounded and well structured villains.

Yeah, the gameplay is relatively weak compared to VII, but it is not broken or the worst in the series by a long shot. The care and detail that Square put into the world, its characters, and the whole entire story is what keeps people from coming back to it over and over again. Considering I played IX for the first time after almost every other main entry in the series (I didn't get it till a few months before XIII was first released) I can honestly say without nostalgia glasses, that the game has some of the best characters and story in the entire series. If VI wasn't so perfect in every way, it would easily be my favorite entry in my favorite series.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
Did you play it when it came out?

Looking at a game series in retrospect isn't the same as when they come out.

FF9 came out right after 8, witch was wildly divergent and a overall bad game.

FF9 also went back to more classic aspects of the setting, art style, story and so on.

Most of it's fame is tied into those 2 aspects, and being a all around solid jrpg for the time.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
s69-5 said:
- Characters design were passable. I found that other FF games had much better character designs. I seriously mistook both the main character and villain for women when I saw them - and I play a lot of JRPGs so this usually does not happen to me.
Seriously? FFIX was the last main Final Fantasy title to use creative character designs instead of purely metrosexual effeminate dudes and soft-faced girls.

Altorin said:
it was kind of a celebration of final fantasy to that point and a last hurrah before final fantasy X took the bizarre choices of FF7 and FF8 and ran with them whole hog with FFX
Well this guy already beat me to it. Basically, in terms of story, it was quite memorable even while it called back to previous final fantasy titles.

Other than that, I will buy that the ability system wasn't well implemented and that the final boss is strange as fuck.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
cerebreturns said:
Did you play it when it came out?

Looking at a game series in retrospect isn't the same as when they come out.

FF9 came out right after 8, witch was wildly divergent and a overall bad game.

FF9 also went back to more classic aspects of the setting, art style, story and so on.

Most of it's fame is tied into those 2 aspects, and being a all around solid jrpg for the time.
Yeah, I actually picked it up about a week after release, and played it a few more times since. I'm not saying its bad by any means, I just kinda feel slightly shunned, and have been since day one, over the fact that I find it sub-par. I appreciate the game, it just doesn't resonate with me, and I'm just trying to find a different way of looking at it to get it to resonate with me.

Jun 11, 2008
It was a once under appreciated gem that along with FF VI has gotten to point of being overrated with people saying that they dis like FF VII because it was average or ruined the franchise in some way. It was a very solid but safe game(just as much as the previous entry if not more so) that was basically the original FFs from the NES on the Playstation.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
FFIX was my favorite GAME for a time. Maybe I played VIII first, then IX, then VII is the reason that I don't hold VII in a higher regard. VIII was good, but the story kind of turned into a mess (I know, there's symbolism throughout the game and there's even a fan theory that Squall's dead and it's all just a dream. Look it up.) that even 12-year-old me had to give up any notion of it all making sense by the third disc (GF's made us forget!!! is a worse plot device than Necron, I assure you).

Now IX... IX just oozed charm on every corner. The world actually felt like a world, since there are different cultures in the different places you go. It had a great cast and even if you do feel like Vivi was designed to be a woobie of epic proportions, at least it didn't have a perpetually scowling, brooding, emo character (MOODBREAKER!). Vivi got sh*t done. Even in the face of his impending mortality, he got it done! The FMV's were very evocative (there's a silent film like quality to the scene with Black Waltz #3).

As for Necron, at first he came out of left field, but then I realized that he ties into the game's theme of life, death and rebirth quite nicely (the party ran out of stuff to kill that they had been put up against Death itself!). Plus, that final battle theme is just kick-ass, especially the Black Mages version!

And finally, it pit the Lord of Dragons against a Castle with Angel Wings. The Castle won.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
FF9 is my favorite final fantasy game purely because of the setting. Everything else about the game is just decent (except tetra master... fuck tetra master) but the setting seriously puts that game above every other ff. It is the quintessence of everything I imagine final fantasy to be. Every single background frame is just masterfully crafted. Look at this image:

LOOK AT IT! God dammit that game is so pretty. Now I want to go play it again (and I'll probably stop at the card tournament again too -_-). So to put it concisely, it is basically the definitive final fantasy game, or at least setting.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I like that it is an amalgamation of everything I loved about Final Fantasy. I am quite aware that it is a Frankenstein of it's predecessors but damn it's a pretty one. And there are no characters in that game that I hate.
None.

That is unheard of for me.

I like the soundtrack, I like the story, I like the interactions and relationships and the goofyness of some of the moments up to the parts where it gets serious, it is the very essence of a 'fantasy'. Lindblum is a steampunk wet dream as well. That city.

I'm not even a Vivi fan like so many. I rank Freya higher. A tragic female warrior done well, not scared of feeling emotion, well spoken and very powerful it seems. And she barely had much of a story arc past the 2nd Disc... But what was there was sublime. Also Beatrix and Dagger. Even Queen Brahne needed to be there for the story to function and she did it with such fervor and animation.

And the character designs were imaginative and diverse.
I am so tired of the 'cut out metro teen' protagonists and villains.

Kuja and Zidane skirted that line barely but had enough quirk to make them fit the rest of the world around them. Dagger also, but she had a part to play and played it well. Even surprising me at points.