Final Fantasy VI Hits Steam Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VI Hits Steam Next Week

It might not be the good version, but at least it's something

If there's one game I could never get tired of, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/final%20fantasy%20vi?os=final+fantasy+vi>Final Fantasy VI is probably it. While some have their (ridonculous) issues with it, I consider it to be one of the best RPGs ever made and easily the finest entry in the Final Fantasy series. Unfortunately, being an older game, it can at times be a bit tricky to find a way to play it. While it has been re-released over the years, there are platforms that it's never made it's way to. Next week however, we'll be able to cross a big one off of the list.

Joining other titles from the franchise like Final Fantasy IV and V, Final Fantasy VI will be released on Steam next week on December 16th. The game will cost 10.99 pounds sterling (about 16 US dollars) and will be subject to a ten percent discount during its first week in the storefront. The PC port is based on the mobile version of Final Fantasy VI which released back in 2014.

While a PC port of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135457-Final-Fantasy-VI-Boss-Battle-Transformed-into-9-Foot-Painting#&gid=gallery_2726&pid=1>Final Fantasy VI is obviously good news, there's a good chance that fans will be disappointed that it's based on the mobile version as opposed to the original SNES game. Setting aside problems <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131381-Final-Fantasy-VI-Mobile-Releases-Adds-Typos#&gid=gallery_2021&pid=1>like typos in the dialogue from its opening scene, the mobile version of VI was given a visual makeover which added in new backgrounds and character sprites that many considered to be uglier than the pixel art from the 1994 release. In other words, if you have any way of playing the SNES game, you should do that. If you're new to VI though and only have a PC, there are probably worse ways you could spend your time.
[gallery=5178]
Source: Steam

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Ugh look at screenshot #3, horrible interface for PC. I could live with the graphics of the mobile version but they couldn't even spend time to update a simple battle menu to something more appropriate?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
A trash port of an excellent game. Such a shame that Square Enix still hasn't figured out how to put any care at all into PC ports.

P.S. Thanks

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That is an ugly ui, still... I have wanted to play though ff3 again.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I love the game, but that's just the IOS port, which had tons of game breaking bugs.
Ten bucks says they didn't fix them or indeed the control options to not say "Tap screen to do X"

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I'd love to buy it for the PC, but it the ugly "improved" version, so I'll pass. Sorry Sabin, no train tossing on my PC for you.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Worgen said:
You'd probably be better off just getting a SNES emulator then. I mean, you'll still have to deal with the menus within menus within menus so not really an improvement in the UI department, but it's certainly cheaper and it's available right now. :p

I myself won't be getting it because I just KNOW those sprites are going to bug the hell out of me, even if the character portraits look WORLDS cleaner than the SNES version (not much of an accomplishment though, FF3 was released in the states what, 20 some-odd years ago?)... they just too so... alien in that world... I'll admit they looked pretty out-of-place in the SNES version too, but this just takes it too far. :/

Briggins

Mar 22, 2009
They could have ported any other version, but they used the ugliest one of them all. It's painful to see what they've done to my favorite ff game.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Worgen said:
Truth Cake said:
I myself won't be getting it because I just KNOW those sprites are going to bug the hell out of me, even if the character portraits look WORLDS cleaner than the SNES version (not much of an accomplishment though, FF3 was released in the states what, 20 some-odd years ago?)... they just too so... alien in that world... I'll admit they looked pretty out-of-place in the SNES version too, but this just takes it too far. :/
...though ff3 again.
...FF3 was released...
[strong]...FF3...[/strong]
[HEADING=2]GET OUT[/HEADING]

Just kidding. More seriously, that touch screen UI needs to go, and I do agree that the original character models looked better.

Oh well, so much for hoping for a decent port. Probably keep an eye on this one for a special.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
snekadid said:
Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.
How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
StewShearer said:
snekadid said:
How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.
I just did a quick test on my vita.

It takes 4 seconds to open the menu and 6 seconds to close it.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
snekadid said:
Probably something to do with Nintendo having rights to that version. They still sell it on their virtual shop. That's the only reason I can think of for them to just ignore that or even the GBA version. Or porting the IOS version is less work, or they person in charge of these decisions is plain ignorant and assumes the newest release must be the best.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Not only does it look like crap (the snes-version is beautiful but this looks horrible) but that price is downright insulting. I wonder if Square-enix will ever realise that a lower price would enable them to sell more copies which would probably offset the lower price and also create more ff-fans that are more likely to buy your other games. 16usd for a more than 20 years old game is just insulting.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Kekkonen1 said:
Not only does it look like crap (the snes-version is beautiful but this looks horrible) but that price is downright insulting. I wonder if Square-enix will ever realise that a lower price would enable them to sell more copies which would probably offset the lower price and also create more ff-fans that are more likely to buy your other games. 16usd for a more than 20 years old game is just insulting.
This has been their modus operandi for all the classic Square games released on steam. The real confusion comes from Final Fantasy VII and VIII being cheaper.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Post Tenebrae Morte said:
I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.
Really? To me they just look like generic RPG Maker sprites. Less depth too.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wish they'd done LESS work. A straight up 1 to 1 port would have been better than this. -_- I'm sure I'll buy it anyways, but I wish they'd have a classic mode toggle.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah... I'll just stick with the original version[footnote]Vanish/Doom FTW[/footnote] or maybe the GBA version. Extra stuff (if there is any) isn't worth the trade offs of the mobile version. It's just another game to wait to be apart of a massively discounted bundle years down the road.
thanatos388 said:
Kekkonen1 said:
This has been their modus operandi for all the classic Square games released on steam. The real confusion comes from Final Fantasy VII and VIII being cheaper.
VII and VIII might be cheaper because they had PC ports from the 90s. All that was probably done was some optimization for modern versions of Windows and Square slapping their own DRM onto the games.