Final Fantasy VI Hits Steam Next Week

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Silentpony said:
I love the game, but that's just the IOS port, which had tons of game breaking bugs.
Ten bucks says they didn't fix them or indeed the control options to not say "Tap screen to do X"
I beat it on the iPad, I didn't run into any bugs. What bugs are you referring to?

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Silentpony said:
I love the game, but that's just the IOS port, which had tons of game breaking bugs.
Ten bucks says they didn't fix them or indeed the control options to not say "Tap screen to do X"
I beat it on the iPad, I didn't run into any bugs. What bugs are you referring to?
Likely the initial bugs before the updates, had issues including bugs preventing progress into the world of ruin.

thanatos388 said:
Post Tenebrae Morte said:
I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.
Really? To me they just look like generic RPG Maker sprites. Less depth too.
That's the thing, such chibi artwork from ff6 and other games inspired that style and, while similar, these sprites are of higher detail. Go and compare the terra sprite on iOS to her official chibi artwork, it's actually quite close.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
thanatos388 said:
I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.
Really? To me they just look like generic RPG Maker sprites. Less depth too.
Did it occur to you that the inspiration for RPG Maker sprites comes from 16 and 32 bit RPG's?

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
That's the thing, such chibi artwork from ff6 and other games inspired that style and, while similar, these sprites are of higher detail. Go and compare the terra sprite on iOS to her official chibi artwork, it's actually quite close.
I agree that apples to apples the new ones look better, but it just doesn't fit with the world around them which looks like it was airlifted straight from the SNES with *maybe* a bit of touching up (I mean seriously, look at those mountains from the airship... no work was put into those...). Look at the environment around the characters in any of the pictures and then look at the character sprites- it's like they're from 2 different games.

If they were going to just do a straight-up copy-paste port to PC, that's fine I guess. They'd have to give a reason why we couldn't just emulate it if we're getting the exact same appearance, but fine. If they're going to update to make it look better though, they gotta update EVERYTHING to make it all look better as a whole, not just the character sprites because then either A- everything is compared to them and looks like ass, and/or B- the characters look alien in their own world. Neither of those are good things. :/

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
CALLED IT!

And of course, I now have no intention of buying it. I have the GBA version PLUS the Wii VC version of the original NA release. Why the hell would I buy this crap?

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Oh. Yay. My second least favorite Final Fantasy title is on Steam now. Well, you guys have fun with that, I'm going to enjoy a better one, like 3 or 4.

Before you ask, no I didn't play it when it came out, so no I don't have the nostalgia goggles, and yes, I played the SNES port to PSVita, not the even MORE garbage iOS port.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
And people wonder why im worried about FF7 being remade. Any other port of FF6 would have been fine, but Square decides to port the most broken version out there with the worst sprites and interface.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Truth Cake said:
I agree that apples to apples the new ones look better, but it just doesn't fit with the world around them which looks like it was airlifted straight from the SNES with *maybe* a bit of touching up (I mean seriously, look at those mountains from the airship... no work was put into those...). Look at the environment around the characters in any of the pictures and then look at the character sprites- it's like they're from 2 different games.

If they were going to just do a straight-up copy-paste port to PC, that's fine I guess. They'd have to give a reason why we couldn't just emulate it if we're getting the exact same appearance, but fine. If they're going to update to make it look better though, they gotta update EVERYTHING to make it all look better as a whole, not just the character sprites because then either A- everything is compared to them and looks like ass, and/or B- the characters look alien in their own world. Neither of those are good things. :/
I agree, they could've done more. It was odd, especially considering they actually did all that for ffv on iOS.
And once again, for those complaining about bugs: they've all been fixed.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
StewShearer said:
snekadid said:
Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.
How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.
I just did a quick test on my vita.

It takes 4 seconds to open the menu and 6 seconds to close it.
Hmm... that's disappointing. Almost instantaneous in the cartridge versions.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Would prefer the old sprites but i like the higher resolution text even if the battle UI is a little silly.

Would rather they just put the high res text and UI boxes into the Ps1 port.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
GBA Version is best version. They should have ported that to iOS and then PC.

Also, Sabin looks like Guile from Street Fighter II in the left side of the YouTube screen. Bleh.

Also also, this looks awful. The pixel art of the original sprites and head-shots was one of the best parts of the game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So what you're telling me is that I need to hunt down a GBA port of Final Fantasy VI? That's fine by me...Final Fantasy IV advanced is freaking awesome and honestly I need to hunt down FFV-Advanced. It's a shame that Square Enix doesn't take care to craft a better PC experience for these classic games.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Think someone will mod it to look like the SNES version? I wonder if they'll just say 'emulation will cover it' and not bother. Anyway, I'm considering it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
StewShearer said:
-Dragmire- said:
StewShearer said:
snekadid said:
Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.
How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.
I just did a quick test on my vita.

It takes 4 seconds to open the menu and 6 seconds to close it.
Hmm... that's disappointing. Almost instantaneous in the cartridge versions.
Beats the Fallout 4 load times. ;)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Actually, you want the GBA version, because it has a lot of added content, including fixing bugs that rendered certain stats non-functioning, and a much more expanded combat arena.

On the other hand, they also fixed those bugs that let you use instadeath on some bosses, but hey, you can't have everything.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
weirdee said:
Actually, you want the GBA version, because it has a lot of added content, including fixing bugs that rendered certain stats non-functioning, and a much more expanded combat arena.

On the other hand, they also fixed those bugs that let you use instadeath on some bosses, but hey, you can't have everything.
While these things are true and very valid, I've always preferred the original SNES game because the GBA had a lower quality soundtrack and I LOVE VI's music. I also didn't like some of the censorship they added into the GBA game.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The thing that bugs me the most about the new graphics is that they just look so amateurish. If I didn't already know it was Final Fantasy 6, I would have guessed that these were screenshots from one of the several Final-Fantasy-a-likes that are on mobile platforms. It's like, on the one hand I'm kinda tempted to get the game simply because it IS my favorite game in the series by leaps and bounds, but at the same time the character models and portraits in the chat windows are so bland that I imagine them making me feel completely apathetic towards wanting to continue playing the game. After a while I'll just be like "Why should I continue to give a shit about this when they very clearly didn't seem to from the start?"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
StewShearer said:
weirdee said:

While these things are true and very valid, I've always preferred the original SNES game because the GBA had a lower quality soundtrack and I LOVE VI's music.
Pretty much this. I was super hyped when I learned that there was going to be a portable version of Final Fantasy 6 that I could play. Then I played it. I didn't even get to Figaro before I had to stop playing out of disgust.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I feel kinda torn about this. FFVI is my favorite Final Fantasy game, and I'm certain I would had loved this a decade or two ago (emulators didn't do justice to the SNES version either).

The graphics remember me the Faithful HD texture pack for Minecraft...

...which makes it look like a cleaner version of itself, but some stuff looked worse and unrepresentative (like gravel looking like cobblestone). Besides, being based on the mobile version, I fear how the mechanics were affected. Probably I'll keep an eye on it before deciding to buy it in the next Steam sale.