Final Fantasy VII re-release is available now!

Sep 14, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
gmaverick019 said:
yeah it'll probably require some small bits of updating i'm sure to make it work with the drm, but if the modders for the main ones are worth their weight in the slightest, they'll program that one up in a jiffy i'd say within a month or so.

still, i'll agree that the drm is a pain in the ass, especially as it is SecuROM as people have pointed out.

Otherwise I'll chalk up your other two points to personal preference/old balls rant. Not that I don't think you should take pride in taking on ruby/emerald as you have, it's just I don't think it hurts anyone to have the option there, it's essentially just adding a difficulty slider...kind of.

I use "back in my day" all the time as satire, but I have a feeling that it'll slowly become realistic here in the next few years..so I'm sure I'll feel your mid life crisis pain XD
fair enough, but just wait till you start hearing songs from your childhood on 'classic rock' stations, that still really fucks with me
LOL XD

okay..that is bad...any songs in particular you remember off the top of your head?

To be honest, my dad played the shit out of "classic" rock, so anytime my gpa turns on his radio i instantly know every single that plays each day....

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
addition snipage
also, i take more pride in beating Omega in FF8 then i do Emerald/Ruby, i kinda ironman fought him (no heals, revives only, limit break spam via the use of the 'Aura' spell) still took forever and that was after the 'holy wars' strat FAILED (Holy Wars make you invulnerable for a time)

Ghostwise said:
yeah x.x i hate when they do that to, i get stuff like Van Haylan and general 80s stuff more then 90s stuff

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Lunar Templar said:
gmaverick019 said:
i don't have a problem with someone not buying it, but just curious, how is it the inferior game? What piece of info makes it inferior to the other versions?
the DRM for one.

going off the screen shots off the site, the graphics update ether isn't noticeable or makes the back ground look like crap, which would get on my nerves after awhile.

not a fan of achievements but bitching about those at length at this point would be a waste of time.

then, theres this ...

square's site said:
Character Booster ? Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
-.- ..... the game is already really fucking easy, AP grinding is pretty unnecessary for most the commonly used Mateiria (cure and life as example) so .... this is even needed WHY? just rubs me the wrong way it dose
The character booster isn't even in the game. You have to go to the SE Members site and log in to your profile to turn it on. Seriously, do you hold it against games that have built in cheat codes or a developers console? Did you hate every NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1/PS2/etc.. game because of the existence of cheat devices like Game Genie/Shark?

What a pathetic complaint.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
sasukeofleaf said:
They are calling it a re-release, but FF7 was already on the pc years ago, so this is a Re-Re-release
No, it was released on the PC in 1998. It is being re-released in 2012.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Is it improved from the original in any way ie. graphics, pixel ratio, bug fixes - or is it just a re-release with yummy DRM ladled on top of it?

Edit: never mind, these question have been adequately answered by a previous poster

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Snowbell said:
Is it improved from the original in any way ie. graphics, pixel ratio, bug fixes - or is it just a re-release with yummy DRM ladled on top of it?
The music is improved.
The character/enemy models improved
It now supports modern Windows OS's
It supports higher resolutions
Achievements (if you care)
Cloud saves (if you care)
Character Booster - God Mode (if you care)

I know alot of people are comparing it to the PS1 version but it has the advantage of much shorter loading/saving times (as did the original PC version).

Just an FYI: I just checked and you don't need to be online to start the game. It just complains about not being able to check for updates and then says Remote Sync failed. This also answers another question I had, there is a local save file.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Deviate said:
Crono1973 said:
Just an FYI: I just checked and you don't need to be online to start the game. It just complains about not being able to check for updates and then says Remote Sync failed. This also answers another question I had, there is a local save file.
And there the last reasonable reason to ***** is gone. I would have paid Squeenix ten bucks just for the effort of making it work nicely on modern systems without endless tweaks. Now I almost feel bad for not being able to pay them more for the rest of the work they've done.
Downloading it was a pain though, took hours and the download would just stop for an hour once. I guess their servers were being hit hard. Higher demand than they expected and I hope they give FF8 this treatment too after seeing the demand.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Deviate said:
Crono1973 said:
Downloading it was a pain though, took hours and the download would just stop for an hour once. I guess their servers were being hit hard. Higher demand than they expected and I hope they give FF8 this treatment too after seeing the demand.
Didn't get any pauses, but it was slow I'll grant you that. Getting FFVIII with the same treatment wouldn't bother me much, that's true. I'm not looking as much forward to that as I did this particular re-release, but it'd be another worthwhile re-acquisition. I don't think my original discs has survived.
I still have the original discs but I don't think they work properly on Win 7 64 bit. I would certainly drop another $10-$12 on re-release of FF8.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Midgeamoo said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Ghostwise said:
The only reason to get this would be for the epic remake mods out there. Some of them just look phenomenal. You can mod the hell out of the PC version and make it look like Advent Children. :D
Which would be impossible.

But, that does illustrate my thoughts on how there is no point to purchasing this ever, unless it is the ONLY way you have to play FFVII
It is a lot easier for somebody that doesn't have a ps1/2/3/p, I know i'd rather just spent a bit of money to get a PC version than set up an entire console for it, but I can see why this is useless for a lot of people.

I'm wanting to replay it and I don't know if I should wait for it's release on vita or get it now :/
its on psn. it is already ON the vita. the better question is why you HAVE a vita

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
Midgeamoo said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Ghostwise said:
The only reason to get this would be for the epic remake mods out there. Some of them just look phenomenal. You can mod the hell out of the PC version and make it look like Advent Children. :D
Which would be impossible.

But, that does illustrate my thoughts on how there is no point to purchasing this ever, unless it is the ONLY way you have to play FFVII
It is a lot easier for somebody that doesn't have a ps1/2/3/p, I know i'd rather just spent a bit of money to get a PC version than set up an entire console for it, but I can see why this is useless for a lot of people.

I'm wanting to replay it and I don't know if I should wait for it's release on vita or get it now :/
its on psn. it is already ON the vita. the better question is why you HAVE a vita
Nope, you can't even play the PSclassics on the vita yet, even though you can play some of them on the PSP, they didn't put that feature in from launch. Fucking amazing right?

I got a vita because i had the naive thought that if Sony put their time and effort into making a really nice handheld console (which the vita is, it's actually a really nice piece of hardware), then they would actually have some releases lined up for it. Shows how much I knew.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Crono1973 said:
I am using a wired 360 pad and it worked without any setup. The original works with the 360 pad too but I believe you have to actually set it up (not difficult though).

The movies and the characters look slightly better but the pre-rendered backgrounds don't look so good at 1920x1080 and that's keeping the aspect ratio. I bet it looks worse if I stretched it. I just turned on triple buffering in the NVidia option, I hope it improves the backgrounds. Part of me thinks that it won't help since they are pre-rendered. Maybe someone with knowledge could clarify that.

The music is ok. I am not one who complained about the music on the original PC release though.
Deviate said:
Okay, thanks for pointing that out.