Final Fantasy VII Remake: Reviews and ImpressionsThread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
First off, the Meta. [https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-vii-remake/critic-reviews]

Sounds like a trip well worth returning to, or just discovering for anyone that never played the original outing. But we already knew that.

Really anxious to get into it.

*edit* just got word from Amazon my copy has a new delivery date of my birthday. Somehow I?m more excited having to wait a few more days.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
hanselthecaretaker said:
First off, the Meta. [https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-vii-remake/critic-reviews]

Sounds like a trip well worth returning to, or just discovering for anyone that never played the original outing. But we already knew that.

On my radar. I just started playing the HD PS3 remake of X. My favorite so far. Got about 10 hours into XIII and heard it'll get good after 25 hours. Most games do not last 25 hours!!! I look forward to further review of this game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Gorfias said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

On my radar. I just started playing the HD PS3 remake of X. My favorite so far. Got about 10 hours into XIII and heard it'll get good after 25 hours. Most games do not last 25 hours!!! I look forward to further review of this game.
Wait, so you?re playing X and XIII simultaneously? Interesting.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I was going to make this thread but you beat me to it.

So my plan for this game is gonna be different than my typical game impressions threads. I plan to fully dive into this game and give it a full review once i have completed the first playthrough.

So as a result, don't expect a FF7 thread from me until probably around next Monday. But know that I will be providing a full review for the game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Gorfias said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

I wouldn't say it get good after 25 hours, more like the game stop pretending it has a story so you don't have to deal with that dumpster fire anymore.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Have it preloaded and ready to go. Can't wait to play it after soooooo many years.

I miss the optimism and eccentricity of 1997. So much more fun back then compared to the boring conformist dystopia of today. Hopefully FF7R can bring some of that magic back!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Been reading some spoilers

So the game is a sequel fanfic that has time ghosts and acknowledges that the original game ending is something the team is trying to prevent?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Marik2 said:
Been reading some spoilers

So the game is a sequel fanfic that has time ghosts and acknowledges that the original game ending is something the team is trying to prevent?
...Christ current day square enix is so bad at storytelling that literally copy pasting is too hard for them.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Here is an article that details the ending. The majority of Final Fantasy stories are retarded, but they were never as retarded and convoluted like the Kingdom Heart games.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ending-completely-rewrites-events-reboots-the-story/106738/

I like the original FF7 for the characters, gameplay, and music rather than the overarching story. The story is somewhat slapped together badly, and the extended material makes it even worse in some areas. I was hoping the remake would iron out some of the narrative problems of the original or use what little good the spin off games offered, but it looks like the remake just added even more nonsense than needed. I will just pirate the game when it's actually complete.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, two remakes released in close proximity that change stuff to fan dismay?

Hmm...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hawki said:
So, two remakes released in close proximity that change stuff to fan dismay?

Hmm...
This isn't much a remake as it is an add on to the original game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, I was definitely critical of the original (bottom fiving it IIRC in our recent rate aall the FF's thread tangent).

That said, aforementioned spoilers don't really sound like they're particularly filling in the originals flaws in structure, so much as exacerbating it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Marik2 said:
Here is an article that details the ending. The majority of Final Fantasy stories are retarded, but they were never as retarded and convoluted like the Kingdom Heart games.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ending-completely-rewrites-events-reboots-the-story/106738/

I like the original FF7 for the characters, gameplay, and music rather than the overarching story. The story is somewhat slapped together badly, and the extended material makes it even worse in some areas. I was hoping the remake would iron out some of the narrative problems of the original or use what little good the spin off games offered, but it looks like the remake just added even more nonsense than needed. I will just pirate the game when it's actually complete.
Oh ffs, the entire reason why people like Sephiroth is because the game does an amazing job at building him up as a villain, you never see him for most of the game, just the aftermath of place he goes to. That (and the flashback) is why he's memorable despite having almost no presence in the game. But now they just throw him in for a random boss battle that serves no purpose except establishing that the remake is not a remake... Why? Is there a single human being on earth who would have been disappointed if the remake was just that, a remake that didn't alter the story? And now we're dealing with alternate timeline bullshit? I quit playing kingdom heart because of all those convoluted story element that would be hard for an excellent writer to make compelling, never mind square enix.

Oh and Biggs and Wedge live, cause why not? Probably Jesse too. So now not only is Shinra destroying their own reactor for no reason, they're also so incopetent that they literally fail to kill every single persons they were trying to kill despite sacrificing 1/8 of the city for it.

Oh and Aerith is going to survive for sure at this rate. What next? Sephiroth turn out to be a good guy?

All you had to do was follow the damn story SE!