Final Fantasy X-3 is happening and it just sounds weird

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Your title is misleading to all hell, because you've brought zero new news to light and are basically saying that due to small speculation of one developer and an open ending to an audio drama(made for the sole purpose of making it possible to continue the story) that now there is automatically going to be a X-3 no matter what.

On the other hand, why does this matter if they do make a X-3? Granted, they're milking the universe, nearly to the point where it's almost worse than VII(not just yet, but almost), but if it turns out well, then good. If not, well, then don't buy it. There are still plenty of irons in the fire to wait for, and clearly X-3 isn't even one of them, so if it turns out badly, you lose nothing, but if it's great, you gain a great game.

As for the audio drama bringing back Sin, I'm not going to say whether or not that's good or bad. If they do it properly, maybe it will be alright. As long as they try, it should turn out okay.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
Granted, they're milking the universe, nearly to the point where it's almost worse than VII(not just yet, but almost)
Technically you can say that they still are milking VII because Final Fantasy VII and the X games are actually in the same universe believe it or not. X takes place long before VII, and VII came to be after the people left Spira and arrived on Gaia. If you look everything up it turns out that Shinra, the Al-Bhed from X-2, started using Vegnagun's deactivated body to harvest Mako energy from the Farplane. However he wasn't as successful due to limitations of technology, but in VII it shows that after they left the planet that they were eventually successful and the Shinra Electric Company was founded by Shinra's ancestor's by using his notes. So basically, blame everything that happened in Final Fantasy VII, it's sequel, and it's prequels on this one little Al Bhed:

Doesn't help that he's the strongest Super Boss of Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission after he was possessed by the Omega Weapon.

It's explained mainly in X-2 International, but that's the version that's gonna be on the Final Fantasy X Collection.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Okay guys, enough is enough. The Retake Final Fantasy movement begins TODAY!

LightspeedJack said:
The only way this thing won't happen is if FFX HD doesn't sell
Shit, and I was really looking forward to getting that too. Of course, this being Square Enix, they would probably see interest from a western country as a bad thing.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse than FFX-2. I was wrong. I was so wrong...

In all seriousness this is too absurd to be real. As much as I hate Tidus, even he doesn't deserve this. Necrophilia? Death? I don't think even Square is that foolish. There must be some confusion. After all, there have been embarrassing translation mistakes before...

http://lost-in-dictation.blogspot.com/2012/08/jimmy-carter-really-likes-poland.html

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
[HEADING=2]WHY.[/HEADING]

Why SE, why do you refuse to give me a FF9 remake which, imo, one of the best FF game in the series. Here you are, continuing after a 'meh' game and its godawful sequel. Why must you be so cruel?!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Neronium said:
klaynexas3 said:
Granted, they're milking the universe, nearly to the point where it's almost worse than VII(not just yet, but almost)
Technically you can say that they still are milking VII because Final Fantasy VII and the X games are actually in the same universe believe it or not. X takes place long before VII, and VII came to be after the people left Spira and arrived on Gaia. If you look everything up it turns out that Shinra, the Al-Bhed from X-2, started using Vegnagun's deactivated body to harvest Mako energy from the Farplane. However he wasn't as successful due to limitations of technology, but in VII it shows that after they left the planet that they were eventually successful and the Shinra Electric Company was founded by Shinra's ancestor's by using his notes. So basically, blame everything that happened in Final Fantasy VII, it's sequel, and it's prequels on this one little Al Bhed:

Doesn't help that he's the strongest Super Boss of Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission after he was possessed by the Omega Weapon.

It's explained mainly in X-2 International, but that's the version that's gonna be on the Final Fantasy X Collection.
... Why, Square Enix? Why?

You know what? I give up. Final Fantasy post-X has been awful in new and exciting ways I didn't even know of. In the words of Jim Cornette: "F**k this company!"

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Cannot say how satisfying it is to finally hear people saying what I've been saying for the last five years. Square-Enix has been circling the the toilet bowl ever since Enix became a thing with them. Squaresoft was my favorite developer out there and made the best games ever, and then when they merged with Enix everything went to shit. It's not like Enix ever did anything worthwhile on their own either, so I don't know how they bought out Squaresoft to begin with.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Loved X-2 and honestly i don't mind X-3, so far only one FF that was disappointing is VII, and long as that don't go back to that i'm ok with everything.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Although I absolutely loved the world of the original game and I would love to spend more time in it, I have no desire to do so through the two characters introduced in that half hour long video, especially that bratty girl... ughn. It just feels like FF13-2 all over again...

If a sequel has to be made, at least make it so that we can control the original cast, not some teen brats that will most likely end up running around in weird goth/fantasy like clothing pissing all over the original plot and characters, if FF13-2 and FF13-3 are anything to go by.. ( seriously, compare lightning from FF13 to FF13-3's lightning... the hell is going on there in Square HQ ... )

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I was one of those weird fucks that played FFX-2 before playing FFX. I liked the game enough the clock in over 300 hours on it and 100%ed it (because as previously stated I am a weird fuck), but after playing FFX I can see why people loathed it. The game was a lot more... chipper, than the journey to the end of the world that was FFX. Personally the gameplay behind FFX was more off putting (Slow turn based combat, Main Bosses killed Aeons in one hit, half the characters were useless, Blitzball) and coloured the rest of the game for me and the lack of a new game plus was a giant nail in the coffin.

Frankly the whole things does sound snooker loopy, but I'm not going to knock a return to this universe. For all the talks of "doing such and such makes story point Y worthless" well it wasn't worthless, getting rid of Sin (subtle Religious subtext is subtle) had quite a few years of presumed peace on earth. By extension does this also make World War 1 pointless because world War 2 happened?

Colour me interested, and laughing manically at over two pages of serious butthurt. If it's trully terrible, poor sales will seal this little adventure into an iron box where nobdody will bring it up again, and Square Enix will lose some more money. However if it turns out great then everybody wins. Mostly me.

Captain Sunshine

Mar 5, 2013
MrHide-Patten said:
Frankly the whole things does sound snooker loopy, but I'm not going to knock a return to this universe. For all the talks of "doing such and such makes story point Y worthless" well it wasn't worthless, getting rid of Sin (subtle Religious subtext is subtle) had quite a few years of presumed peace on earth. By extension does this also make World War 1 pointless because world War 2 happened?
It's a bit more like if Kaiser Wilhelm from World War I returned for a Round 2 as the Kaiser Cyborg. Which, by the way, would've made history that bit more interesting. Of course the Eternal Calm wouldn't last forever, but it shouldn't be Sin + Yu Yevon really.

The problem with both Sin (and Tidus) coming back is that their death was part of an arc. For Tidus, he was the one who decided that sacrifice was not worth it anymore, and his whole arc was to be the outsider who matured into a hero; weirdly, he teaches others not to be so willing to sacrifice by, er, sacrificing himself. It's very bittersweet and, whether it was enjoyable or not, a solid arc that ends tragically.

Similarly, Sin's whole thing is that it is supposedly the Undefeatable. While that should give it the golden ticket to come back to the theme park whenever it damn pleases, it almost does the opposite; defeating it forever becomes one of the sole goals of the game because it's all anyone talks about for about 40 hours. Sin is stripped of its Immortality status and kicked in its giant face throughout the course of the plot; it's even revealed that Sin was never the real true power. After all that build-up, fight and pay-off, I'd say bringing Sin back is as desperate as bringing Tidus back. It's comic-book deaths, not necessarily invalidating everything you felt about their first arc, but now dragging a completed piece into new territory after it's finished, so that anything that comes after that will be marred by a pointless resurrection and the niggling feeling that they shouldn't be there.

At the end of the day it's a fictional universe and they can do what they want with it, ANYTHING they want. Which means they can pull characters back from the dead if they have to, but they will both be missing the meaning that they had the first time around.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Neronium said:
klaynexas3 said:

Is that official or is it just theory? Because I've heard about this before but I never knew it was official. If it is technically canon, I think that's a legit reason to make a X-3. Maybe they just decide that since Sin actually is just immortal, it'd be best to get the hell off that planet and make way to Gaia.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
Is that official or is it just theory? Because I've heard about this before but I never knew it was official. If it is technically canon, I think that's a legit reason to make a X-3. Maybe they just decide that since Sin actually is just immortal, it'd be best to get the hell off that planet and make way to Gaia.
It's official canon, expanded upon on the expanded unviersive and reinforced by Final Fantasy X-2 International's Last Mission part of the game that takes place about a year after Vegnagun was shut down.
Sin was destroyed forever though after Yu Yevon was destroyed, as Yu Yevon was the one reincarnating Sin and turning the Final Aeon into his new outer shell. The reason for leaving the planet probably has more to do with the Farplane because in X-2 it's collapsing in on itself and the energy was leaking out. It's why the Pyre Flies controlled by Omega turned Shinra into Ultimate Shinra, the strongest super boss in X-2 International. Although when defeated Shinra turns back to normal.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
I'm pretty sure it's just a theory - a damn bizarre one at that. How exactly do they go about moving planets at that point when, in FF7, space-travel is still a goal to be achieved and not the norm?

It still reeks of stupid. After toil and sacrifice that culminated in a beautiful & tragic story... "lol, Sin is immortal after all. Let's just move. Cause apparently we can all move planet but Sin can't."

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
MrHide-Patten said:
I was one of those weird fucks that played FFX-2 before playing FFX. I liked the game enough the clock in over 300 hours on it and 100%ed it (because as previously stated I am a weird fuck), but after playing FFX I can see why people loathed it. The game was a lot more... chipper, than the journey to the end of the world that was FFX. Personally the gameplay behind FFX was more off putting (Slow turn based combat, Main Bosses killed Aeons in one hit, half the characters were useless, Blitzball) and coloured the rest of the game for me and the lack of a new game plus was a giant nail in the coffin.

I think there's a lot to enjoy in FFX-2, you've just got to make sure your train of logic isn't 'I liked the type of game FFX was, let's buy FFX-2'. But that puts it in a tricky position because seeing the change in Spira is half of the point.

But anyway, I agree in a practical sense bringing Sin back won't have made the sacrifice worthless. But the whole story of FFX was about people making sacrifices for a temporary respite and how that chews you up and stops you from actually trying to achieve your goals. What everyone had been doing up till now was sacrificing someone's life so that Spira could get 10 years rest, which was worth one life right?

And then Yuna's character moment was realising that you don't have to put up with that BS and you can and should strive for a better world where Sin is permanently defeated.

So it would mean that Yuna was no longer fighting for an ultimate end for Sin but instead for a temporary respite that's a bit longer than the previous temporary respites.

Also
By extension does this also make World War 1 pointless because world War 2 happened?
Yes, yes it does and that's a frequent commentary that people make about World War 1? People talk about what a tragedy it was that people gave their lives for the 'War to end all wars' and then it turned out to be in vain.

Even without that World War 1 is widely thought to be a pointless war because there was no 'bad guy' to defeat it was just a pointless arms race amongst the European countries and political power plays without the awareness that technology had developed past the point where war could be believed to be glorious. It was a bunch of countries with no real grievances (except for maybe Serbia) fighting on behalf of allies they didn't even care about for no gain.

And worse than that, World War 1 caused World War 2 to happen and amongst other things, created the very situation that allowed Hitler to gain power. Without WW1 there probably wouldn't have been a holocaust.

So yeah, I think there aren't really many wars in history that prove a former war more pointless than with WW2 and WW1

Jun 11, 2008
Auron225 said:
klaynexas3 said:

No unfortunately, it is not just a theory.
There are plenty of citations in the linked paragraph if you want to know more about it. Despite, flying in the face of cannon in the original FF VII game where the humans were Cetra who lost touch with the planet according to Sephiroth. There is actually a line in FF VII which may have been a mistranslation and missed out on the meaning of the word in English which does point to the Cetra moving from planet to planet. Not dissimilar to Jenova but instead of fucking shit up they make shit better.

So assuming that one line among some other stuff is a not a mistranslation and Sephiroth originally had bad information prior to accessing the Lifestream this plot was always there.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
BrotherRool said:
At the end of the day everything is redundant and pointless as the whole universe will collapse one day and take FFX and FFX-2 and the eventual FFX-3 along with it as well. :p

But then again try as they might you can never trully get rid of sin (religous subtext hoo).

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Glademaster said:
Auron225 said:
klaynexas3 said:

No unfortunately, it is not just a theory.
There are plenty of citations in the linked paragraph if you want to know more about it. Despite, flying in the face of cannon in the original FF VII game where the humans were Cetra who lost touch with the planet according to Sephiroth. There is actually a line in FF VII which may have been a mistranslation and missed out on the meaning of the word in English which does point to the Cetra moving from planet to planet. Not dissimilar to Jenova but instead of fucking shit up they make shit better.

So assuming that one line among some other stuff is a not a mistranslation and Sephiroth originally had bad information prior to accessing the Lifestream this plot was always there.
So... the people of Spira evolved into whatever the Cetra were? In which moving from planet to planet was no problem? That's... huh. I don't know what to make of that - I'm not sure I'd even call it mind-blowing, just weird.

I still don't like the possibility of moving to another planet because it turns out Sin is immortal - that, to me, renders everything about what FFX is as pointless. Any sequel to a story (in which during the original tale; the main evil is defeated against all odds and peace is brought to everyone to live happily ever after) involving the evil coming back because reasons and everyone decides to just leave instead? I don't know what could possess someone to think that's a good idea. "And then our heroes valiantly ran away with their tails between their legs"!