Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
HyenaThePirate said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Huh.
I didn't even hear about it coming out. All the Final Fantasy advertisements I've seen have been for Type 0.

On the other hand, there's no way I would have bought the game after playing XIII. I didn't even mind the pacing or the linearity, I just felt insulted that they would have so many cutscenes without hiring someone who actually knows how to direct (it seems like a lot of people making game cutscenes are people who wanted to make movie. There's generally a good reason they couldn't make it in the film industry.). Seriously, SquareEnix produces some of the worst choreography and editing for action scenes I've ever seen. On top of that, isn't this sequel supposed to be centered around one of the most annoying and bland characters from the first one?
This.

SOny's marketing team for FFXIII-2 should be spanked and run out of the industry.
I haven't seen a SINGLE commercial or advertisement for it. At all. NONE. WHATSOEVER.

And it just came out along with the launch of SWTOR? Whooops..
Don't plan on this one getting many sales.
Besides, I didn't enjoy FFXIII enough to go running after a sequel.
Forget commercials, I've been going to video game shops pretty regularly and I haven't even seen a place-holder box or a notice that they're taking pre-orders. In contrast, they still have all the posters for Type 0 up (I'm in Japan, by the way).

Did they think people would just psychically know their game was coming out? After the amount of time Versus has spent in development, I wasn't expecting to see XIII-2 on shelves for at least another year.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Torrasque said:
Hang on a sec, I have to knock out the game integrity side of my brain before it goes insane...
There we go.

Anyways, you should either fire up 8 or 9 and play through it again (or find and buy it if you haven't) because they actually have good elements to be proud about. If you had mixed feelings about XIII, and even say "doesn't look ~too~ bad to me", then why are you buying it at all? =/
The only games I buy (that aren't impulse buys or because my friend wants someone to play with online), are games that I am super stoked about and can't wait to play. If you don't get "ZOMG ZOMG I CAN FINALLY PLAY IT!!!!!1!!1!1!" about a game, why buy it?
Well, as mediocre as I found XIII, I am interested enough to pick up it's sequel. That's all there really is too it. 'Course, I'm probably not going to buy it brand-spankin'-new and at full price, but I still want to give it a shot.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
DuplicateValue said:
Ligisttomten said:
I lost all faith in the Final Fantasy franchise after the garbage that was FFXII and FFXIII. The only two Final Fantasy games I never finished.
XII is probably my favourite of the series actually - I never understood why people give it so much grief.

As for XIII, I haven't played much of it, but besides being a bit dull to start off, it didn't seem too bad. I'll be going back to it after I'm done with some other games I've picked up. I do want Square Enix to continue the XIII series, if only to play Versus.
The gambit system, the license system. The whole combat system just came off as a cheap rip off of the Growlancers system, and though I'll give them kudos for going with a politically motivated plot as opposed to the standard save the world one, it just wasn't a very good one, and the main character were really just peripheral to the whole thing. Want a good political plot? Go play Suikoden 5 or Ogre Tactics.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
hmmm i dunno i liked XIII, sure it had its flaws but still had a lot of things i liked and has the best combat system the series has ever seen, i'll try not to judge til i get my hands on it

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Nazrel said:
DuplicateValue said:
Ligisttomten said:
I lost all faith in the Final Fantasy franchise after the garbage that was FFXII and FFXIII. The only two Final Fantasy games I never finished.
XII is probably my favourite of the series actually - I never understood why people give it so much grief.

As for XIII, I haven't played much of it, but besides being a bit dull to start off, it didn't seem too bad. I'll be going back to it after I'm done with some other games I've picked up. I do want Square Enix to continue the XIII series, if only to play Versus.
The gambit system, the license system. The whole combat system just came off as a cheap rip off of the Growlancers system, and though I'll give them kudos for going with a politically motivated plot as opposed to the standard save the world one, it just wasn't a very good one, and the main character were really just peripheral to the whole thing. Want a good political plot? Go play Suikoden 5 or Ogre Tactics.
That was kind of the point. Vaan isn't the main character of XII, Ashe is. Vaan is basically the physical representation of the player, since he's just an observer who really has no baring on the plot.

I don't really get the hate for XII either. X did the same thing with Tidus (The main character is Yuna, Tidus is just there) and most people love X.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
For some reason, I read this headline, smiled, and sighed with relief.

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

This news? This news cheered me up...
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. Perhaps we should band together and create a secret organization set on destroying all copies of FF XIII. Scratch that, I'd rather gloat from my underground lair...they're playing right into my hand anyway MWAH-HAH-HA

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Nazrel said:
DuplicateValue said:
Ligisttomten said:

That was kind of the point. Vaan isn't the main character of XII, Ashe is. Vaan is basically the physical representation of the player, since he's just an observer who really has no baring on the plot.

I don't really get the hate for XII either. X did the same thing with Tidus (The main character is Yuna, Tidus is just there) and most people love X.
To Clarify, all of the main characters come off as peripheral. Ashe and Balthier, a little less so, but only a little.

The main plot focused on the imperial secession of the Archadian Empire, the main characters got a side plot involving the Occurian's, which ends with them doing something that the Archadian's wanted.

and I don't hate the game, I just don't like it.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Phlakes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

...Are you serious?

Because they made a mistake, they deserve to fail forever? I think you're right about yourself.

I mean, really, this is type of thing I'd expect to read on Youtube.
I didn't say they deserved it. I quite like Square Enix, they published Just Cause 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I'm quite looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII Versus (or whatever it is. The shooter)... it's just that FFXIII scarred me, and seeing that consumers have caught onto it and won't accept Square's iterative bullcrap...?

That makes me happy. It makes me happy for the state of consumerism, it makes me happy that Square will be taught something of a lesson for what they did with FFXIII. I'm laughing because I'm happy that the game is getting shafted, not that jobs will be lost or whatever. And that won't happen anyway. If this were guaranteed to bankrupt Square Enix, then yeah, it'd be more dickish than it is. But they won't. So it's not.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Phlakes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

...Are you serious?

Because they made a mistake, they deserve to fail forever? I think you're right about yourself.

I didn't say they deserved it. I quite like Square Enix, they published Just Cause 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I'm quite looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII Versus (or whatever it is. The shooter)... it's just that FFXIII scarred me, and seeing that consumers have caught onto it and won't accept Square's iterative bullcrap...?

That makes me happy. It makes me happy for the state of consumerism, it makes me happy that Square will be taught something of a lesson for what they did with FFXIII. I'm laughing because I'm happy that the game is getting shafted, not that jobs will be lost or whatever. And that won't happen anyway. If this were guaranteed to bankrupt Square Enix, then yeah, it'd be more dickish than it is. But they won't. So it's not.
Que? Verses XIII isn't a shooter. The battle system is a cross between XII and XIII. There was one character who used a gun though, and you could go third person with him and shoot people. But that's not really...the main part of the game.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Phlakes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

...Are you serious?

Que? Verses XIII isn't a shooter. The battle system is a cross between XII and XIII. There was one character who used a gun though, and you could go third person with him and shoot people. But that's not really...the main part of the game.
I was under the impression it was a third-person action RPG in the vein of Dirge of Cerberus.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Kopikatsu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Phlakes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

...Are you serious?

I was under the impression it was a third-person action RPG in the vein of Dirge of Cerberus.
Well, here's a video of the gameplay.

Feel free to draw whatever conclusions you wish to draw.

Edit: It starts at around 3:00.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Ragnarok185 said:
More games need to be like final fantasy xiii. need more focus on story and characters and less focus on exploration and gameplay.

Haters gonna hate but the haters will always LOSE.
Except in this case haters are not 'haters' but critics.

Haters have an unjustifiable dislike of something.

Critics have the ability to brea down why they dislike something, be it a game design decision or flaw.

People have wrote essays on why this game was bad. Terrible even.

And thus the fanboys have no ground to stand on and can only squeal hater into the dark, alone.

Forever alone.

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Raddra said:
Ragnarok185 said:
More games need to be like final fantasy xiii. need more focus on story and characters and less focus on exploration and gameplay.

Haters gonna hate but the haters will always LOSE.
Except in this case haters are not 'haters' but critics.

Haters have an unjustifiable dislike of something.

Critics have the ability to brea down why they dislike something, be it a game design decision or flaw.

People have wrote essays on why this game was bad. Terrible even.

And thus the fanboys have no ground to stand on and can only squeal hater into the dark, alone.

Forever alone.
LOL resorting to insults so early huh?.

Critics say the game was shit and yet it gets a sequel.(i fail to see the logic in that)

sorry you people are blinded by nostalgia and while you guys keep yelling this game was bad. we will be enjoying FFXIII-2 and with luck FFXIII-3.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
DuplicateValue said:
Ligisttomten said:

It's because of the macro system (Gambits). I literally ONLY moved my party and just put the controller down whenever I entered a fight. One day I saved my game and just never bothered to load again because I found it so incredibly boring.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Kopikatsu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Phlakes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

...Are you serious?

Well, here's a video of the gameplay.

Feel free to draw whatever conclusions you wish to draw.

Edit: It starts at around 3:00.
That looks like an action RPG! Exactly what I thought it was! Why did you say mix of XII and XIII? They're both have TBS battle systems. Did you mean XIII and XIV, maybe?