Final Fantasy XIII Demo is Enormous

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Great, storage issues... I'd rather have the video quality dropped down to SD (because it doesn't fucking matter what resolution the video is in) than pull something stupid like multiple discs but then again I think FMVs are obsolete in this day and age anyway and outside of skipping load times for quick scene changes (or maybe live action movies as in C&C) they should be sufficient reason for a punch in the face. Aaaaand I guess that puts me outside of the target audience for Final Fantasy anyway.

With 4.4 GB for one hour of gameplay they can't fit that much on a BluRay disc either. That's almost a tenth of the disc for what should be 1/80 of the game. Of course there's still the option to just stuff the game with filler so what used to be one hour of gameplay becomes eight (almost seems to describe all rail playing games) or the demo is simply from a high intensity part and the rest of the game is mostly trotting through repetitive dungeons, slapping repetitive monsters to death for hours without much video.

Indigo_Dingo said:
I will donate to a fund if The Escapist will force Yahtzee to play this game
A week later we'll find your mangled corpse below the words "Press X to not die", written in blood.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Disc changes restrict the game design since you have to partition the game so the player never walks back and forth across a disc border but I don't think a jRPG has any problem with railroading the player like that.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
To be honest, I don't see the problem with multiple discs.
Sticking the cut-scene footage on the Xbox HDD might work.. Have a separate disc for all the footage, load it onto the Xbox, and let the actual game correlate the cutscenes when prompted..

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Hopefully we'll see this get translated quickly and then done by Graham and Paul. Hey Unskippable only uses the openings, so a demo should be fine.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

:p
But what if let's say there was no proof of the escapist actually having anything to do with Tying Yahtzee to a chair? It would be worth it.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I'm thinking FFXIII for the 360 will be four double-sided disks, and I don't particularly mind having to change disks during a game. Getting up counts as my exercise.

Also, I am so in favour of Yahtzee reviewing FFXIII I will shave my head on youtube if Themis Media can assure he'll be reviewing it. Themis, give me a buzz, think of the promotion!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Catkid906 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

:p
But what if let's say there was no proof of the escapist actually having anything to do with Tying Yahtzee to a chair? It would be worth it.
If he was tied to a chair how would he play it?
Well, he would have his hands free, and his mouth for breathing, and eating, and gagging.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Quiva said:
The vids will be big cos square has been working on thier ridiculously realistic looking game graphics for ages (see The Animatrix or Final Fantasy VII Advent Children). One of the main reasons why EA bought them, so they didn't have to spend time developing something someone else had already achieved. The vids will be HD, cos whats the point of spending all that time making riduculously detailed models if you're gonna watch em in SD. Honestly i don't see what everyones on about. Its your own fault for buying an obviously inferior console so that you can ogle boobies (DOA beach volleyball tripe) or pretend to be good at FPS (Halo, which while having a reasonably intriguing storyline played like the original mario bros game when compared to say... Halflife). And until EA bought out squaresoft and combined them with Enix (after square went bust trying to make thier first CGI spectacular movie Final Fantasy the Spirits Within) you XBOX chumps wouldn't even have had a chance to play the game, cos Square only developed for PS, and before PS existed Nintendo. I despise what EA had done to the previous final fantasy games and who ever heard of a sequel before the attrocious fan service X2. Don't blame Square for having arguably the best cutscene graphics next to Blizzard, blame Microsoft for making a half assed console and yourself for buying one. And don't bother flaming me, cos i care less about you lot than yahtzee...
The word is 'because'

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Square could just pull off a GT5 prologue and release the demo on a disc for a quick rental or something.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Oh man, I am going to have a hard time installing this on my PS3, assuming I buy, if I did it would just be for the graphics. I'd probably have to get a new hardrive as well.

Quiva

Apr 21, 2008
Admittedly there is one game i would have bought an XBOX 360 for, but only because the franchise changed console recently for some unexplained reason... Tenchu.

And i like using "cos". I use it when speaking out loud too. Same as "prolly" instead of probably. If its obvious by context who gives a toss, but your constructive criticism will be taken on board and who knows maybe i will change my habits.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Great now the PS3 version is going to be worse because it's not an exclusive game.

They should ship the game for the 360 with the right amount of discs. They shouldn't cripple the game just because the 360 is using DVD's.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Why is this a big deal?

1 DVD isn't enough? Make it 2, or 3, or 5. Back in the PS1 era FF games would go around 4 CDs each... What's the big fucking deal...?

Manic Overkill

Apr 16, 2009
I think that this game looks so cool but how much space does it take up? And wont it be released late anyway? That's what happened with most of the other FF games.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Caliostro said:
Why is this a big deal?

1 DVD isn't enough? Make it 2, or 3, or 5. Back in the PS1 era FF games would go around 4 CDs each... What's the big fucking deal...?
Obviously multiple disks are out this generation.