Final Fantasy XIII Is the Fastest-Selling Final Fantasy

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions about FF XIII and the changes they made for it, combined with the very Japanese excuses like "Blu-ray is better, but is so awesome we can no longer make RPG cities in it" (WTF?) when questioned about certain things. That and touting more linearity than ever before as an "advantage". :p

That said I think it's mixed reviews are largely it being picked on for being a "Final Fantasy" game to be honest. Simply because a lot of the desicians fall under the catagory of dumbing it down/making it easier (or at least faster/more approachable). "Mass Effect 2" got rave reviews despite doing a lot of the same kinds of stuff for example.

That isn't to say it's perfect, but for all of it's flaws and such I don't think it's any worse than some other releases which received higher scores. Though I suppose it could be argued whether it was underrated, or they were overrated.

I also will say that I did indeed notice the missing fanfare, and other little details that are series trademarks. Really, I think someone needs to be bopped in the head at Square-Enix. None of this really detracts from the game itself, but it's stuff that should have been there.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Truthfully, I never cared for the Final Fantasy games. I usually rent them just because I have never seen much re-play value.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Yeah i picked it up on launch day, havn't played it much which is a shame, it's definitely one of the best in the series

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
This is no surprise really
Games are much more mainstream and the market is much bigger these days. Final fantasy is also a mainstream RPG series, it has been heavily advertised, the good graphics make for nice screenshots/adverts and it's gameplay has been refined to a very fast pace

However, the music just isn't the same without Nobu and while this is coming from someone who is about halfway through, it still doesn't feel like I've started playing entirely with the lack of third character

Oh well, it's a good game with a decent story so it deserves the sales

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Well it's not really surprising. There are simply more people around with the current generation of consoles who purchase games.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:
And how well is the 360 version selling? Well enough that SE will release FFXIII Versus on it? Maybe even so well that they'll stop making PS3 exclusives?

God, I hate exclusivity.
I read somewhere that worldwide sales were about 30%-70% 360-PS3, but I don't have a source on that, and I recall that Japan only got a PS3 version. So that could skew the sales numbers somewhat.

I'm not surprised it sold well. It's a pretty damn good game.

Have you picked it up yet? Or are you waiting - or not going to buy it at all?
Turned up in my postbox on release day. ;D

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.
[spoiler\]The only time I struggled was with the Fang's Eidolon Gestalt gauge, because I'm crap with the timing.[/spoiler]

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
I'm not that surprised. It looks gorgeous, to the point to make me think that even if the gameplay is screwed up and the heroes are unbearable, I'd still buy that. If I had a console, that is.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!
It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.
[spoiler\]The only time I struggled was with the Fang's Eidolon Gestalt gauge, because I'm crap with the timing.[/spoiler]
Fang's Eidolon doesn't pop up until like Chapter 10. I think at that point (that is, Chapter 4) you've only got Shiva and Odin - Snow and Lightning's Eidolons, respectively.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
The full healing actually makes a lot of sense later on, because it lets them give you genuinely challenging "trash" fights - the designers never had to worry about "Oh, will we be wearing them down too much for the final boss fight of this part" because they could assume you were going into every single battle at full strength.

FF13 is the only final fantasy where I reliably died to non-boss monsters.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Amnestic said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Fang's Eidolon doesn't pop up until like Chapter 10. I think at that point (that is, Chapter 4) you've only got Shiva and Odin - Snow and Lightning's Eidolons, respectively.
[spoiler\]It was against the shiva sisters.[/spoiler] I thought Fang was Snow's Import name? I might be wrong.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
not for final fantasy XIII fanboys

in my opinion, the earlier ones were much better, they got eveyone hooked and consequently more people are prone to impulse buying.

Whats the actual feedback from those buyers?

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
s69-5 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
You're still in the tutorial. Give it time...

Chapter 9 Boss: Bathandalus... Also, Vanille's Eidolon gave me a headache
It's chapter freaking 4. I can upgrade my weapons now, the only thing I don't have is Eidolons. It's still the tutorial? The game only has like 12 or 13 chapters!
I'm a third of the way there.