Final Fantasy XV Needs Next-Gen to Run Properly

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
TJC said:
Infernai said:
....So again, why the hell didn't they just say "We can't do what we thought we could with the PS3, sorry guys for getting hopes up. But we'll put it on PC for the mean time and then release it on the next gen." Would have made this whole saga end alot quicker in my opinion.
because admitting fault is Nintendo's schtick and they have exclusive rights to that, apparently.

Fanghawk said:
According to Tetsuya Nomura, FFXV can only be a seamless gaming experience on next-gen systems like the PS4 or Xbox One.
Aaaaaand I stopped reading RIGHT there...

If you can make compelling epic tales with pixels over a decade ago that glued me in front of my SDTV then you can make it with what this generation has to offer right now (also PCs). Isn't game design about working around or with the limitations of the hardware and not going all table-flippy and say "Fuck this shit, I'll wait until the tech is able to encapture my TOTALLY AWESOME VISION GUISE!!!!!"?
First, he didn't design a single 2d game. He drew a few characters and monsters for one, but he didn't do any of the actual game design. Secondly, those games you're talking about were not in any way seamless. Seamless means extremely few loading times and extremely few transitions, like Skyrim. Seamless games were impossible at that scale back then. Finally, there is a lot of irony in saying that they are childish for throwing everything out until they can craft the experience they want to while praising Nintendo earlier in your comment, which has brought most of it's very best games to us by throwing out all the progress made up until that point and essentially restarting the game from scratch when it didn't fit Miyamoto's vision.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
And yet JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni, White Knight Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles, etc were possible on current-gen hardware, and JRPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora Tower and The Last Story were possible on the fucking Wii.

Hey, Nomura, you know what Xenoblade had? An open-world. You know what the Last Story had? Towns. You know what Final Fantasy games on much more powerful hardware lacked this generation? Both. Don't give me this 'only possible on next-gen' bullshit when recent Final Fantasy games have yet to match the standard set on games running on previous generation hardware.

The problem, I suspect, is that Squenix simply announced the game too damn early, before they'd ever got any proper work done on it. It's a habit they've had for a while: announce a game as soon as it gets greenlit. I very much doubt VXIII/XV has been in serious development for more than a couple of years, if that. I imagine the real reason for the delay after announcement was the majority of the internal team getting moved to try and help out on the clusterfuck that was Final Fantasy XIV. They've had to rebuild the entire game from scratch, and I'm sure they had to reasssign teams in order to do so.
You do realize FF13 had towns right? Like Bohdum, Nautalis, Palumpolum, Paadra, Oerba, and Eden. ANd FF13-2 added Academia, New Bohdum, and The Hunter's city right? Plus Lightning Returns will most likely have even more towns Also, The Last Story took place only in one town with only brief cameos of other places with no lasting impact.

Plus, FF13 had open world. It was called Pulse. FF13-2 open areas (although confined), and Lightning Returns seems to be having four open world islands. Yes, Cocoon was linear, but there was still open world. The Last Story is the real confined one.