Final Fantasy XV Trailer Reveals First Female Cid

Sep 24, 2008
The guy who's Driving.

... He's Essentially 'Not-Wesker', Right? Like, I want him to attack and yell at "Mortals are so weak... you are nothing to me!"

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Working at a service station on one of the busiest highways in Australia I had to rewatch the video and even pause it to see what's off about her outfit :S Probably a country thing given how... common (Not rare)? it is.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
The combat looks interesting but my god do they use every tired character trope they've been recycling since VII. It'd be nice to play as a lead male that doesn't make me cringe every second I see him. What is their obsession with this Archtype? Either a Bi-shounen as fuck man-girl or a ridiculously emo, 3edgy5me 'badboy' (sometimes both).

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Zeriah said:
The combat looks interesting but my god do they use every tired character trope they've been recycling since VII. It'd be nice to play as a lead male that doesn't make me cringe every second I see him. What is their obsession with this Archtype? Either a Bi-shounen as fuck man-girl or a ridiculously emo, 3edgy5me 'badboy' (sometimes both).
To be fair, its a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation. Remember the last time they made a Non-Emo lead? We got Tidus and i really dont think he fits the other category. Truth be told, going by popular titles, the Emo-variants at least were more popular, see Cloud and to some minor degree Squall (had Laguna been the actual lead, the game would have been much better).

What i hate about this Trailer is..why is it 4 Dudes which are essentially identical? I mean it looks like "All the popular ones from previous Final Fantasies", we got Not-Cloud, Not-Squall, Not-Zack and..god knows what the fourth (main dude?) is modelled after. Used to be that Final Fantasy at least had some variety when it came to the characters, but ever since 13 that shit went downhill and they all became pretty much the same character-wise, now they are the same look-wise as well.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Ryan Minns said:
Working at a service station on one of the busiest highways in Australia I had to rewatch the video and even pause it to see what's off about her outfit :S Probably a country thing given how... common (Not rare)? it is.
There's nothing wrong with it. There are some overly sensitive types that belong to the videogame taliban that will complain about anything and everything just to get their angry hat on. My wife and I live in Brisbane and it gets hot and muggy as hell here, this time of year both men and women are barely wearing anything. Imagine if it was in Cairns.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
A-D. said:
To be fair, its a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation. Remember the last time they made a Non-Emo lead? We got Tidus and i really dont think he fits the other category. Truth be told, going by popular titles, the Emo-variants at least were more popular, see Cloud and to some minor degree Squall (had Laguna been the actual lead, the game would have been much better).
Well Tidus would absolutely be the Bi-shounen type in my opinion (along with Vaan and Hope). He is almost exactly like the stereotype that exists in anime, just a couple of years older. Put him in a girls outfit and he'd look like a passable woman.

I'd like a lead character that I can actually look up to and admire (why can't we have a lead like Auron?), or a regular guy that I can relate to. Surely even the 'emo' teenagers or bi-shounen fan girls (or guys) must be tiring of playing the same exact two characters in every FF game by this point.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Halyah said:
... Did they really call it Insomnia? Do they even know what that means? Now I can't help but wonder what sort of sleep problems the people must've had when they decided to name their country.
Subtlety was never a strong suit of Square's. This is the same company who released a game where soldiers called "Seeds" were trained in facilities called "Gardens" (I think there was even a line blatantly pointed this out, just in case it wasn't obvious-enough for some people), or another game where the enemy was literally named "Sin".

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
There's a good deal of negativity in here... and it starts with the OP. *shrug*

I haven't really played much of the FF series (with the exception of FFX and FFXIV), but this looks vaguely interesting. I will echo the other posters citing the poor dub, though I kinda make a point of playing Japanese games in Japanese audio with english subs.

They get the emotions across a hell of a lot better.

...Hell, I'm pretty damned positive most people in this thread could do better readings. Bleh.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Zeriah said:
A-D. said:
Well Tidus would absolutely be the Bi-shounen type in my opinion (along with Vaan and Hope). He is almost exactly like the stereotype that exists in anime, just a couple of years older. Put him in a girls outfit and he'd look like a passable woman.

I'd like a lead character that I can actually look up to and admire (why can't we have a lead like Auron?), or a regular guy that I can relate to. Surely even the 'emo' teenagers or bi-shounen fan girls (or guys) must be tiring of playing the same exact two characters for every FF game by this point.
I'll admit, I'm quite partial to the whole bishounen thing, but you are right. I mean, a car full of 4 guys, and they all look alike and dress alike? It's a bit much, regardless of what you think of that kind of look. (And frankly, 'real' guys tend to be pretty ugly most of the time.)

Seriously. Where's the 'character' here? They're all the same... >_>

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
LostGryphon said:
though I kinda make a point of playing Japanese games in Japanese audio with english subs.

They get the emotions across a hell of a lot better.
I agree full heartily the problem is: You hardly ever get the Japanese dub.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
This trailer have me somewhat worried about the combat, especially the part vs the guards did not seem as fluent as I hoped it to be as it is in real time. Most of the soldiers just seem to stand there and watch.
It still has my interest, although it all comes down to the story which is basically the only thing that matters in these games. Just please make one that makes sense this time.

Now I'll have a go at all this negativity just to keep my own hopes up for a little while longer.
First of all, the characters? We only get to hear 2 of the main characters speak, and what we hear is barely enough to define them. From my experience FF games tend to be rather long, and the characters change along the way. A little trailer where we don't even know at what point in the story it is is not enough for me to judge.

Moving on, the clothes.
To me this seem to be the most practical gear I've seen in a FF game in a long long time, yes even Cin(dy?) the mechanic girl. She is actually slightly more/better dressed than Rikku.
Also this is Final Fantasy we're talking about, it's supposed to be over the top, it's basically what it is all about right? It would be strange if they suddenly changed that as it would not be FF anymore.
Show me a FF game where all (not just 1 or 2) characters are wearing practical clothing, because I don't think there is such a thing.

I'd also like to include a new rule about complaints if at all possible.
If you're going to hate on something, be that character design, outfit, hair or anything else, please include a suggestion on how you would like to be and the reason for it.
For example, to all you that says these characters are all the same, what exactly would you guys like to see?
Picture a realistic FF game, where people ran around in jeans and shirts, shot at each other with normal guns and so on. It might make a good game in the end but it would not be Final Fantasy.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Why exactly is the entire article about this Cid person? I've only ever played Final Fantasy 1, and have virtually no knowledge of the series, but does this have any significance beyond her being female this time round? Are the various incarnations of Cid some kind of fan favorite?

Just seems kind of odd to base an entire article on a character that is glimpsed for barely more than a second and says exactly five words.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Oh well this changes everything. Surely the more female characters there are, regardless of loose continuity, the better the game will be. After all I was so blown away by 10-2.

Seriously Escapist, Final Fantasy has always had tonnes of female characters. This change isn't significant.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Zeriah said:
A-D. said:

I'd like a lead character that I can actually look up to and admire (why can't we have a lead like Auron?), or a regular guy that I can relate to. Surely even the 'emo' teenagers or bi-shounen fan girls (or guys) must be tiring of playing the same exact two characters in every FF game by this point.
To be fair though, all main leads fit that bi-shounen look. Even Cloud would've if it wasnt pixelated blocky graphics back in the day. Squall was more..realistic, basicly a little more western in its style but you could still see the usual inspirations. Then look at Zidane from 9, that guy is so Anime..in fact the whole game is that its to me one of the worst games because its just so goddamn blatant and cutesy.

Still its not so much because it was inspired by Anime, but rather by reality, there are alot of japanese dudes which look very feminine, they just dont have this male ideal of athletic, rugged guy that we have. But as for over-the-top, look at Seymor. You could swear he was essentially cross-dressing through the whole game, after watching way too much anime based on that hairstyle.

There really isnt much to do, Final Fantasy, in fact most japanese series arent made for western markets, they make them for their domestic market, any sales abroad are just a bonus. They stick with what sells there, based on what the fan feedback of the japanese customers is. Dont expect them to turn around and westernize the crap out of the series just so we stop complaining. And everytime they tried to be less..well japanese, the games didnt really sell all that well.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
So, she's a redneck wearing a Daisy Duke style outfit? At least, Cid "Sit down and drink your goddamn TEA" Highwind from FF, and Cid "I'm trying to channel every 60s to 70s WWII and Western movie hero" from FFX were really hard to nail any cliches in their characters. Here, shes your typical "midriff-baring southern gal who knows more about cars than any guy within 500 miles" cliche. I'll chalk the accent up to the localization, but even that could have been a request from the creative team. The outfit definitely was.

Also something no media mentions about this kind of outfit, wearing that while working on cars means she must spend a lot of time in the shower and a lot LAVA soap to get the inevitable grease and road grime off her skin. Unless, FF cars get fixed and cleaned by casting cure spells on it. No matter how hard hard you try, something nasty will always get on you if you're doing more than airing up the tires.
Practicality...in Final Fantasy outfits. I'll say it again. Practicality in Final Fantasy outfits.

You do realize this is the series where Seymour and Kuja come from right?

And just another point, but hwy does everything have to be practical? I mean these games are named after Fantasy. Practical is boring. Rule of Cool all the way.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Oh well this changes everything. Surely the more female characters there are, regardless of loose continuity, the better the game will be. After all I was so blown away by 10-2.

Seriously Escapist, Final Fantasy has always had tonnes of female characters. This change isn't significant.
I preety annoyed by that, but this IS the first time Cid has been female in a Final Fantasy game, so I guessthat's worth talking about.

Just can't wait for this game to come out sooner.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
Why exactly is the entire article about this Cid person? I've only ever played Final Fantasy 1, and have virtually no knowledge of the series, but does this have any significance beyond her being female this time round? Are the various incarnations of Cid some kind of fan favorite?

Just seems kind of odd to base an entire article on a character that is glimpsed for barely more than a second and says exactly five words.
Cid pretty much plays out like the FF version of spot Stan Lee for the most part, kinda like all the other little "hints" to an interconnected universe it's a hey that's cool moment, the whole article just seems like another pile of trivial click bait, as someone earlier posted on the "what if they changed snake to female it would be big" to die hard fans or cannon fans maybe but otherwise it's not generally a big deal

Given 99% of games wouldn't change if you changed the sex of the character it's just a big deal for the sake of the gender in games crap the last 4 months has focused on

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Rattja said:
Also this is Final Fantasy we're talking about, it's supposed to be over the top, it's basically what it is all about right? It would be strange if they suddenly changed that as it would not be FF anymore. Show me a FF game where all (not just 1 or 2) characters are wearing practical clothing, because I don't think there is such a thing.

Memorable and distinct can be achieved without going full retard.
Put less shit on your characters and you don't distract from the other shit that makes them recognizable (and how about some recognizable character features that isn't their costume anyway?).
Makes sense?

How about now?
Rattja said:
I'd also like to include a new rule about complaints if at all possible.
If you're going to hate on something, be that character design, outfit, hair or anything else, please include a suggestion on how you would like to be and the reason for it.
For example, to all you that says these characters are all the same, what exactly would you guys like to see?
Gee I wonder why people universally liked this guy the most in ff13.
Might be because he's the closest thing to a human being with relatable struggles in that game?
A father who wants to protect his son? That's something new, yes?

Nah that's crazy talk we need more of those
who save the world from the very concept of despair personified with the plan of ending all suffering by killing everyone or some shit.
Rattja said:
Picture a realistic FF game, where people ran around in jeans and shirts, shot at each other with normal guns and so on. It might make a good game in the end but it would not be Final Fantasy.
Yeah that can't work at all.
No one ever got this to work and made it an interesting-

Oh.

Oh noo.

Edit: Spoiler'd for image heaviness.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
I wouldn't be so quick to criticise the dub just yet people. The reason why English dubs of Japanese material tend to be so bad is because the writing and the voice acting needs to match the mouth flaps the characters make, which often results in awkwardly phrased sentences trying to retain the original meaning of the line and match the animated mouth movements as well as the actor having to speak the line in an unnatural way so it times just right with the given animation. That's what happened in this trailer. It's just English voice actors speaking over the Japanese animations.

Square Enix has, for the past decade or so, redone animations in the English release so that the mouth animations fit better with the English voice acting, allowing voice actors to act far more comfortably than otherwise. There's no reason to suspect they won't do this for Final Fantasy XV, but obviously they've yet to do so since the game is still in development. I'm sure the English voice acting will sound much better in the demo.

Rattja said:
This trailer have me somewhat worried about the combat, especially the part vs the guards did not seem as fluent as I hoped it to be as it is in real time. Most of the soldiers just seem to stand there and watch.
It still has my interest, although it all comes down to the story which is basically the only thing that matters in these games. Just please make one that makes sense this time.
Look closer. The guards are robots. That's why they don't move naturally. It's also why they don't bleed and they shoot rockets out of their hands if you were also wondering about that.