Final Fantasy XV Trailer Reveals First Female Cid

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
So... a name that gets assigned to a male character model gets assigned to a female character model this time around? For Square that's almost innovation.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Didn't hear her say Cid, sounded like Cin or Sin or something like that. Anyone else not hearing the "d" in their name? I mean, I don't care if it's the first female Cid or anything and this is a mechanic. But I'm simply not hearing the d being pronounced. I do find the whole gender swapping thing to be mildly sexist. Like pulling the ol' [Hero Name]+[Woman/Girl/Miss]. You don't achieve equal representation but cutting things off or stapling things on. You get new legitimate characters and fill out the roster that way.

But it's Cid and that's not a character I've ever cared about. Always felt like an extra in the games I've played.

I'm glad they've returned to less garbled clothing for the main characters. Wish they weren't basically the same color so distinction is hard (the only one I remember is a cloud look-alike if not actually Cloud). If it is Cid, shame they had to make her dress like someone who could only afford mismatched scarves. Must be a shitty mechanic if that's all she can afford.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Why can't we go back to pseudo-fantasy setting of FFIV/V/IX? It was so much fun and atmospheric. Can you also let Amano design characters and environments for you again, that would be cool, thank you!

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Didn't hear her say Cid, sounded like Cin or Sin or something like that.
It's been verified that her name in Japanese is Cidney (or, in Japanese, シドニー) and Tabata has stressed that the name connection to Cid is no coincidence.

The English version is a little less clear. Firstly it's hard to tell what exactly the voice actor is saying in that scene when she says her name, and secondly, the French subtitles on the English trailer subtitle it as Cindy. Might've just been a translation/localisation error, but it wouldn't be the first time a Final Fantasy character has a different, but similar, name in the English version (Terra immediately comes to mind, who is called "Tina" in the Japanese version of FF6).

So it's definitely Cid in Japanese. Whether it's Cid in English remains to be clarified, as well as whether or not she's the "official Cid" of the game. (FF12, for instance, has two characters with the name Cid, but only one is considered official)

Here's the Japanese trailer if anyone's interested, I don't believe it's been posted ITT.
http://youtu.be/0HvgPzpbLhM

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ZiggyE said:
Lightknight said:
Didn't hear her say Cid, sounded like Cin or Sin or something like that.
It's been verified that her name in Japanese is Cidney (or, in Japanese, シドニー) and Tabata has stressed that the name connection to Cid is no coincidence.

The English version is a little less clear. Firstly it's hard to tell what exactly the voice actor is saying in that scene when she says her name, and secondly, the French subtitles on the English trailer subtitle it as Cindy. Might've just been a translation/localisation error, but it wouldn't be the first time a Final Fantasy character has a different, but similar, name in the English version (Terra immediately comes to mind, who is called "Tina" in the Japanese version of FF6).

So it's definitely Cid in Japanese. Whether it's Cid in English remains to be clarified, as well as whether or not she's the "official Cid" of the game. (FF12, for instance, has two characters with the name Cid, but only one is considered official)

Here's the Japanese trailer if anyone's interested, I don't believe it's been posted ITT.
http://youtu.be/0HvgPzpbLhM
Ugh, if she is actually Cid and her voice actor messed it up that badly then that's quite a disservice to FF lore.

If her name is Sydney (spelled Cidney?) in Japanese then she is likely Cid or Cid's kid since she's also a mechanic.

CutesySiren said:
Lightknight said:
Didn't hear her say Cid, sounded like Cin or Sin or something like that. Anyone else not hearing the "d" in their name? I mean, I don't care if it's the first female Cid or anything and this is a mechanic. But I'm simply not hearing the d being pronounced. I do find the whole gender swapping thing to be mildly sexist. Like pulling the ol' [Hero Name]+[Woman/Girl/Miss]. You don't achieve equal representation but cutting things off or stapling things on. You get new legitimate characters and fill out the roster that way.
You might have had a point, if not for that the Cids in the series are typically major characters with unique personalities. They're more than just "Cid" + (last name of Cid in whatever game). There's no reason to believe she'll be less of a character than any other Cid simply because she's a female Cid.

I really only have one thing to say on the topic of female Cid, though.

She's absolutely adorable! =^_^=
It depends on the intention of the writers. If it's purely because they just wanted a female Cid artistically then this is a legitimate move on their part. If they're trying to impose some sort of gender equality to appease the 50% genders everywhere crowd then they're doing it wrong. I know the result is the same, but hopefully the nuance makes sense.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Ugh, if she is actually Cid and her voice actor messed it up that badly then that's quite a disservice to FF lore.

If her name is Sydney (spelled Cidney?) in Japanese then she is likely Cid or Cid's kid since she's also a mechanic.
I wouldn't be too quick to judge the voice actor. It's just a dub over the trailer as opposed to in game voice acting with cutscenes edited to accommodate English voice acting.

There's no official localisation for her name yet but Cidney is our best guess.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Hairless Mammoth said:
Also something no media mentions about this kind of outfit, wearing that while working on cars means she must spend a lot of time in the shower and a lot LAVA soap to get the inevitable grease and road grime off her skin. Unless, FF cars get fixed and cleaned by casting cure spells on it. No matter how hard hard you try, something nasty will always get on you if you're doing more than airing up the tires.
You know, if you actually bothered to watch the trailer you'd notice that in her close up she IS covered in grease.

ScreamingViking

Aug 10, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't care if the new Cid is three midgets in a trenchcoat,
Thats just crazy enough to work! Square Enix, Make it so!
And it'd even be more interesting then four interchangeable guys wearing black.