Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The phoenix stuff interests me (obviously). I wonder if it'll be a ripoff of the X-Men Phoenix Saga, there's already some crystal mentioned in the trailer and if the phoenix is the guardian of said crystal then...
So the idea is the crystal bequeaths the powers of the summons to the humans it "protects" which is why during the gameplay you can see the hero project the Titan's gauntlets and the wing of Garuda and so on.

The Phoenix is the little prince boy (also I believe the little brother of the hero) who is, I guess, especially blessed, and outright transforms into a summon as opposed to being able to tap into a bit of its power.

This seems to be a bad thing for the kid and as an extension of that to the hero, who is seeking to end the crystal's protection. From now on this in an inference but I got the feel that they use the kids who turn into summons (there was that girl who I think was Shiva too early on) as living weapons and may even sacrifice their lives to turn them into summons, in any case it's not good for the kid to embody the full summon despite the military power it gives your nation.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah like I said I didn't finish it. But for act 1 at least, the plot is a plucky blonde kid from a desert town, dreaming of being a sky pirate, hooks up with a princess on the run from an evil empire, team up with a leather vest clad pirate with a pistol who flies a ship, and has a tall, furry copilot, and their old, wizened bum of a mentor character, all on the run from a dude in full body black armor. It was straight up New Hope. And I enjoyed it. I lost focus on the game at some point though. I vaguely recall going to some....mine I think it was? Where they harvested some magical material or whatever. I think that was as far as I got.
It's funny you talk about New Hope, because the battle at the intro cinematic looked like the battle of Helm's Deep was happening on the ground, while the battle on the Death Star was happening in the sky. But, yeah, you were still like 15% into the game, and you weren't near the point where the story starts to go bonkers.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So the idea is the crystal bequeaths the powers of the summons to the humans it "protects" which is why during the gameplay you can see the hero project the Titan's gauntlets and the wing of Garuda and so on.

The Phoenix is the little prince boy (also I believe the little brother of the hero) who is, I guess, especially blessed, and outright transforms into a summon as opposed to being able to tap into a bit of its power.

This seems to be a bad thing for the kid and as an extension of that to the hero, who is seeking to end the crystal's protection. From now on this in an inference but I got the feel that they use the kids who turn into summons (there was that girl who I think was Shiva too early on) as living weapons and may even sacrifice their lives to turn them into summons, in any case it's not good for the kid to embody the full summon despite the military power it gives your nation.
Which is giving me Final Fantasy 6 flashbacks, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it might turn out to have a rather well conceived and executed plot and characters and themes, though we'll have to see.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Which is giving me Final Fantasy 6 flashbacks, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it might turn out to have a rather well conceived and executed plot and characters and themes, though we'll have to see.
Yeah I got a mix of ffvi and X myself. The bit about people being "turned" into summons as a tragic thing that happens to them reminds me of the thing Yuna was gonna go through but the feel of the world gives me FFVI vibes, albeit maybe somewhat less technologically advanced.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I got a mix of ffvi and X myself. The bit about people being "turned" into summons as a tragic thing that happens to them reminds me of the thing Yuna was gonna go through but the feel of the world gives me FFVI vibes, albeit maybe somewhat less technologically advanced.
Oh, yeah, that too. I forgot about that bit in FFX.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Summons in FFX were people too, although most of them became so voluntarily. In 12 they were angel who rebelled and we're forced in servitude.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Summons in FFX were people too, although most of them became so voluntarily. In 12 they were angel who rebelled and we're forced in servitude.
Yeah that's what this reminded me of, the little prince seemed to go along with it but still it sucked for him by the reactions of the hero.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am actually excited for an FF game! The combat director from DMC5 is working on this and it shows. Will definitely be on the lookout for this one.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I am actually excited for an FF game! The combat director from DMC5 is working on this and it shows. Will definitely be on the lookout for this one.
He is? That's...interesting. We were kinda joking back in the day when XV was new that they really just wanted to make it play like DMC/Bayonetta and not like FF but I guess we were onto something lol.

I loved VIIR's combat way more than I expected so despite my huge bias for turn based combat in Jrpgs I definitely am looking forward to what they'll do with this game.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Apparently this will have an M rating. The first main line FF to be an M rated game. It's about time haha.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Apparently this will have an M rating. The first main line FF to be an M rated game. It's about time haha.
I wonder what it will be for. Like, profanity and blood? Or like anime boobies all out and exposed, for all the world to see their jiggle physics?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder what it will be for. Like, profanity and blood? Or like anime boobies all out and exposed, for all the world to see their jiggle physics?
Considering the serious tone for the trailer, I highly doubt it's going to be that much fan service. The FF series didn't usually go too crazy on the fan service, aside from a few titles here and there. The M rating is most likely going to be from the gore. You'll have some swearing, the highly doubt is going to go to f-bomb machine territory.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Considering the serious tone for the trailer, I highly doubt it's going to be that much fan service. The FF series didn't usually go too crazy on the fan service, aside from a few titles here and there. The M rating is most likely going to be from the gore. You'll have some swearing, the highly doubt is going to go to f-bomb machine territory.
Yeah I figure it will be violence/profanity too. But I mean, it's still a JRPG, that has a pretty strong history of female characters in nothing but spandex thongs and double sided tape. Yunalesca from FF 10 comes to mind, and the runway model giant furry bunny girl from FF 12. So it wouldn't shock me at all to see them let some boobies fly in the breeze. Like some brothel scene or something, something overtly sexual if not actual nudity.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I figure it will be violence/profanity too. But I mean, it's still a JRPG, that has a pretty strong history of female characters in nothing but spandex thongs and double sided tape. Yunalesca from FF 10 comes to mind, and the runway model giant furry bunny girl from FF 12. So it wouldn't shock me at all to see them let some boobies fly in the breeze. Like some brothel scene or something, something overtly sexual if not actual nudity.
I don't remember too much, but the fan service really only got crazy in FF10 & FF10-2. FF12 was downright more subtle about it and conservative by comparison, if we're talking about all the main line games and none of the spin-offs. I never played either one, but I saw a playthrough of 10 at a friends, and I watched a playthrough of 12 on YouTube around 2009.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't remember too much, but the fan service really only got crazy in FF10 & FF10-2. FF12 was downright more subtle about it and conservative by comparison, if we're talking about all the main line games and none of the spin-offs. I never played either one, but I saw a playthrough of 10 at a friends, and I watched a playthrough of 12 on YouTube around 2009.
Oh wow, yeah I actually forgot about FF 10-2, and the dressup fan service in that game. And the way they portrayed that cousin to Yuna...the Albed girl who was underage, but was always framed in a sexual manner. I forget her name. But yeah, between them and the dominatrix of Payne in 10-2, yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all for some more explicit sex in that M rating.

Don't really care either way. As frankly I'm fine with the bloodless way they've handled combat before, so the violence/gore/profanity isn't really a draw either. And frankly I've got the internet, if I need to see naked depictions of final fantasy characters, I don't need them in the game to accomplish that.

I'm just curious what will be different with this one to warrant the M rating really.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm just curious what will be different with this one to warrant the M rating really.
if I had to guess as far as blood and gore, they won't go too over the top with it. It'll most likely be similar to the blood in Nier & Nier: Automata. Note how I never said Drakengard. When there will be blood, it'll have much more impact when it happens to a central character or supporting character.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Oh wow, yeah I actually forgot about FF 10-2, and the dressup fan service in that game. And the way they portrayed that cousin to Yuna...the Albed girl who was underage, but was always framed in a sexual manner. I forget her name. But yeah, between them and the dominatrix of Payne in 10-2, yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all for some more explicit sex in that M rating.

Don't really care either way. As frankly I'm fine with the bloodless way they've handled combat before, so the violence/gore/profanity isn't really a draw either. And frankly I've got the internet, if I need to see naked depictions of final fantasy characters, I don't need them in the game to accomplish that.

Rikku wasn't underage in x-2 since it takes place years after X and she was 16 in X I believe. Though Rikku was never sexual, she was just playful and energetic. She just dressed very revealing cause of being a mix of a desert dweller and freediver.

And the "fanservice" literally was just the classic FF job system seen through the prism of a mix of idol culture and sailor moon transformation aesthetic lol. Not the sexiest thing out there.

We already see a bunch of blood in the trailer. I don't expect jiggle physics to be pronounced but you could also have some love scenes and maybe some sort of romance plot that doesn't stop at kissing in a flowing river lol.

I mean, XII has a Viera party member, those are literal playboy bunnies. You don't need more service past that lol.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Rikku wasn't underage in x-2 since it takes place years after X and she was 16 in X I believe. Though Rikku was never sexual, she was just playful and energetic. She just dressed very revealing cause of being a mix of a desert dweller and freediver.

And the "fanservice" literally was just the classic FF job system seen through the prism of a mix of idol culture and sailor moon transformation aesthetic lol. Not the sexiest thing out there.
Hummmmmmm...

It was fucking painful how blatant the fanservice was. And Yuna cousin who was always trying to grind her the entire time, shiver.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hummmmmmm...

It was fucking painful how blatant the fanservice was. And Yuna cousin who was always trying to grind her the entire time, shiver.
Dreiko has a habit of acting oblivious, down playing, ingnoring, or making excuses whenenver it is something from Japan. Even more so if he is a fan. Don't bother with him, he never learns. Thanks for backing up your arguement.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Hummmmmmm...

Bro you're linking two random disjointed cutscenes out of an 80+ hour game out of context, both of which are actually extremely difficult to get and requiring you to jump through hoops to do so. It's definitely not the core engagement here and most people who play without a guide definitely wouldn't get the onsen one.

Also onsen scenes with bikini are definitely on the tame side of things, usually they either would go in with towels or just naked and have steam around. It's really nothing impressive at all lol.

Dreiko has a habit of acting oblivious, down playing, ingnoring, or making excuses whenenver it is something from Japan. Even more so if he is a fan. Don't bother with him, he never learns. Thanks for backing up your arguement.
I have the benefit of fuller context is all. In the context one is supposed to examine X-2 within, the amount of fanservice is less than something you'd see on a show aimed at 10 year olds. Literally original dragonball had more hardcore fanservice than that game.

This is a fact, now if you feel it is doing any of the things you list, that's up to you.

There's no backing up, there's just a memetic response of "lul, this has this element, hence bad, loloololo this element, bad, no context, but bad!".

You do realize Asura's Wrath has an onsen scene too? And you're a guy there not two girls, and you're about to drunkenly grope a girl you've been ogling until the other guy in the onsen withh you punches you into orbit? Now is it fair to call Asura's Wrath a "fanservice game" because of that? Because that onsen seen is a greater % of the game's runtime and you WILL run into it every playthrough, whereas the one in X-2 you have to unlock by doing esoteric things you wouldn't naturally know to do without a guide, and is a much smaller percentage of your playtime with the game.

A game having fanservice is not the same as a game being a fanservice game.

Last edited: