Final Fantasy's Cloud Strife is The Next Smash Bros. DLC Fighter

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Final Fantasy's Cloud Strife is The Next Smash Bros. DLC Fighter

Final Fantasy's most iconic hero Cloud Strife will be the next Super Smash Bros. DLC fighter.

Nintendo capped off its Nintendo Direct [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/11-12-2015/] presentation this morning with a surprise announcement: Cloud Strife, the iconic Final Fantasy VII hero, will be the next DLC fighter for Super Smash Bros.

From the look that we got of him, it seems like Cloud will be a melee fighter-type character, in a similar vein to Ike and Marth. He uses a variety of his special attacks from the game, and appears to be able to summon other characters to help him out.

It also looks like Cloud will come with his own Final Fantasy-themed stage.

[gallery=5032]

We're not sure when Cloud will be released, but we can probably expect him to cost the usual $5.99 per platform or $6.99 for both.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/11-12-2015/]

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
This was so far out of left field. A really neat addition to Smash, even if Cloud himself has barely appeared on Nintendo consoles. However, I think it is pretty fitting. Final Fantasy has a very strong history on Nintendo consoles, and Cloud is one of the faces of the series. So it makes enough sense.

I can finally the epic Link vs. Cloud battles I've always wanted! :D

Now for the final question, I still wonder who won the ballot? I guess we will find out in December.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Whoa...I did not see this coming O_O

Man, might have to get a Wii-U for X-Mas if they are literially spec'ing Smash Bros after stuff that appeared on Death Battle XD

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
touché Nintendo, I guess I should get to buying some DLC.
It will be nice to invite eight of my closest friends over and have a smash party again.

OT: I like it, he looks like he fits right in, especially against the Fire Emblem characters.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
STILL NOT BAYONETTA :mad:

For real, I was not expecting that. FF7R for NX now possibly? And if they make a Cloud Amiibo, Ninty and Squeenix could make a absolute shitton of money.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Andy Shandy said:

For real, I was not expecting that. FF7R for NX now possibly? And if they make a Cloud Amiibo, Ninty and Squeenix could make a absolute shitton of money.
Whoa whoa whoa what this all about Final Fantasy 7 Remake coming to the next Nintendo Console?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Andy Shandy said:

Whoa whoa whoa what this all about Final Fantasy 7 Remake coming to the next Nintendo Console?
Just speculation on my part, based on that it would seem slightly strange that Nintendo would have a character in Smash Bros that hasn't been on their console (well besides Theatrhythm). It's by no means confirmed, or even hinted at by Nintendo.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Andy Shandy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Andy Shandy said:

Just speculation on my part, based on that it would seem slightly strange that Nintendo would have a character in Smash Bros that hasn't been on their console (well besides Theatrhythm). It's by no means confirmed, or even hinted at by Nintendo.
Well now Cloud is in Smash Bros he can finally have his Rematch against Link for beating him in Death Battle ;)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, I'm okay with this. Final Fantasy 7 is the only game in the series people seem to care about (though this pick might to placate fanboys wanting a FF7 remake... or maybe I'm just too cynical).

Still can't wait to see who won the ballots, though! December feels so far away...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Why..?
No. Seriously. Why?

This almost seems to be rewriting history. FFVII was moved away from N64 because the system used cartridges which couldn't hold the game. Having Cloud appear on a Nintendo console, when he has never been on a Nintendo console ever, seems really weird. I could have seen Terra, Locke, Shadow, Cecil, Kain, and probably a few dozen others, but not Cloud. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Who's next? Sly Cooper? Master Chief?

Andy Shandy said:

You know everyone has been saying it would come to Xbox One. However, I always found that to be pretty presumptuous. Final Fantasy 7 has no history on the Xbox console, and the franchise as a whole barely has one. I've always considered the FFVII Remake to most likely be a PS4/PC exclusive. However, this announcement does make me wonder if it might be PS4/PC/NX game.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Saltyk said:
Why..?
No. Seriously. Why?

This almost seems to be rewriting history. FFVII was moved away from N64 because the system used cartridges which couldn't hold the game. Having Cloud appear on a Nintendo console, when he has never been on a Nintendo console ever, seems really weird. I could have seen Terra, Locke, Shadow, Cecil, Kain, and probably a few dozen others, but not Cloud. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Andy Shandy said:

You know everyone has been saying it would come to Xbox One. However, I always found that to be pretty presumptuous. Final Fantasy 7 has no history on the Xbox console, and the franchise as a whole barely has one. I've always considered the FFVII Remake to most likely be a PS4/PC exclusive. However, this announcement does make me wonder if it might be PS4/PC/NX game.
You know what's hillarious about all this?
Sony tried to get Cloud for Play Station All Stars and failed.
Nintendo managed to do it and the remake isn't even coming out on their system!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I would have went with Tifa, because Smash does have a lot of sword wielders already. (Also, I'm a fan of attractive brunette girls who can suplex giant robots.)
Saltyk said:
At the rate they're going, King Harkinian from the Unholy Triforce will probably appear in Smash NX.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite Nintendo game.

...oh wait.

Cuz, you know, this is the character from Square Enix that we wanted in Smash. I certainly can't think of anyone else that would fit that bill. I have Geno idea who else could have been here.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Nintendo HAS said that every smash fighter is getting an Amiibo.

CLOUD AMIIBO ASAP PLS.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
November 12, 2015, shall be remembered as the day FF7 fans the world over collectively creamed their jeans.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
...Hm.

Look, I'm all for this news - it's great, it really is. Having Cloud in Smash feels like a big win, especially over All Stars. The Midgar stage looks absolutely bonkers and a heap of fun to play in, and overall I'm throwing money at the screen.

However, like a proctologist at 4:55 on a Friday, there's a lingering but. A big one.

How did you guys miss that, not only has the arcade version of Dissidia spoiled beginning roster, two new summons and the Road to Narshe as stages, but it's also been given a release date of 26th of November? How? This game is big - the killer app of the PSP is getting an arcade update that's had characters teased from everything from Y'Sholta (sp?) from FF14 to freaking Razma from FF Tactics. And it's based on the PS4 hardware, so the odds of it being released stateside are pretty good given time to bulk up the roster!

I'm not angry... just kinda disappointed that you're all over the common news, while the truly interesting stuff is just forgotten.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Nintendo, Shantae or we riot in the mii plazas!

Top tier waifu 4 laifu

As for Cloud, this really was so far out of left field that he wasn't even considered in most of the polls.

I personally think it's a good addition, I'd be more upset if he was the only one getting in, but there's at least 2 more fighters being announced in December.

Also his moveset and the Midgar stage, I don't know about you guys but it actually seemed kind of fun.