Find Out Who Earned the Most Money in Hollywood in 2010

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
I was making an observation based on factual evidence.
And then adding that, in some way, this was not representative.
The entire top 40 has three black men (no black women) and six caucasian women; neither of these two groups are represented in the top 10.
As you do here: Why should they be in the top 10?
In addition, the word minority does not mean foreigner. The United States of America has many talented American citizens working in many American industries who happen to come from minority backgrounds. I am confused as to what you are implying in your last sentence.
Because you haven't defined what "minority" you are talking about? Glasses wearers, diabetics?

The usual terminology for minorities is racial descent, which you yourself used.

Why should any list be made up solely on the breakdown of the populace that fuels it? Is James Cameron two and a half times as talented as Johnny Depp, or is he two and a half times more involved in projects that ultimately succeed. Through a combination of luck, skill and catching the public's attention. Which is where being American gives you an obvious boost.

Factual evidence, with a implication that takes statistics and labels them as something they are not, is at best, misinformation; at worst, slander.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
NaramSuen said:
I was making an observation based on factual evidence.
And then adding that, in some way, this was not representative.
The entire top 40 has three black men (no black women) and six caucasian women; neither of these two groups are represented in the top 10.
As you do here: Why should they be in the top 10?
In addition, the word minority does not mean foreigner. The United States of America has many talented American citizens working in many American industries who happen to come from minority backgrounds. I am confused as to what you are implying in your last sentence.
Because you haven't defined what "minority" you are talking about? Glasses wearers, diabetics?

The usual terminology for minorities is racial descent, which you yourself used.

Why should any list be made up solely on the breakdown of the populace that fuels it? Is James Cameron two and a half times as talented as Johnny Depp, or is he two and a half times more involved in projects that ultimately succeed. Through a combination of luck, skill and catching the public's attention. Which is where being American gives you an obvious boost.

Factual evidence, with a implication that takes statistics and labels them as something they are not, is at best, misinformation; at worst, slander.
You will have to pardon my ignorance, but your response does nothing to clear up my confusion about your implication. In fact, you have confused me even further. By using the term minority I meant ethnic minority and I apologize if you interpreted this in any other way. The three largest ethnic minorities in the United States of America are Latino, Black and Asian. Again I must emphasize that I am talking about American citizens in the United States of America who are members of an ethnic minority. The specific sentence which perplexes me is "That come from an American corporation that work primarily in America from American money." I am not sure what you mean by this.

I was not making any judgements about the talent or commitment to their craft of the people on the list. And I certainly was not attempting to slander anyone. I simply think that it is quite interesting that supposedly "liberal" Hollywood has its top ten highest grossing list dominated by ten caucasian men. I do not think that a person should be placed on a list for the simple sake of inclusion or fairness, I do however find it worth pointing out that the demographics of the people on this list do not even come close to mirroring the country at large. I am interested in the reasons behind this particularly when it comes to the media and so-called pop-culture.

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
You will have to pardon my ignorance, but your response does nothing to clear up my confusion about your implication. In fact, you have confused me even further. By using the term minority I meant ethnic minority and I apologize if you interpreted this in any other way. The three largest ethnic minorities in the United States of America are Latino, Black and Asian. Again I must emphasize that I am talking about American citizens in the United States of America who are members of an ethnic minority.
But you don't consider Jewish, Canadian or British minorities in the States?
But The specific sentence which perplexes me is "That come from an American corporation that work primarily in America from American money." I am not sure what you mean by this.
Hollywood employs mainly from the available workforce to pitch to the American workforce with money from the American workforce - it makes sense that the majority would be over-exaggerated to appeal to the main grouping.

I simply think that it is quite interesting that supposedly "liberal" Hollywood has its top ten highest grossing list dominated by ten caucasian men.
And why shouldn't it be? The highest grossing list is based on money we give to them. For all their faults, if Spike Lee's new film does poorly, then he's not getting a lot of money. A lot of the Hollywood pitches are to the dominant culture, so people who are in touch with the dominant culture have a better chance.
I do however find it worth pointing out that the demographics of the people on this list do not even come close to mirroring the country at large. I am interested in the reasons behind this particularly when it comes to the media and so-called pop-culture.
The majority in most countries are very fixed in what they watch. Your average American won't know much about French Art-House movies, Mexican Wrestling or Japanese Vampires. However, your French, Mexican or Japanese movie watchers will know about American films. So a film that's distinctly American will do better across the world. (in general)

That means someone who has a better knowledge of being American (which pushes a lot of the minorities out) has a better chance of making a film that's taken up by the public, and thus appearing in the Top Ten payments. Will Smith getting in at #11 is actually far more impressive than it looks.

However, don't think I'm coming down on Hollywood's side on this:
Avatar used up $3 billion in resources. If you wanted to get rid of one film, you would match the amount donated in 2008 to fight malaria.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I agree with many of the points you make, particularly about Avatar using up far too much money and my failure to include Jews as a minority in the United States of America. However, in my defence, I personally do not consider membership in a religion to be the same as belonging to an ethnic minority; I must acknowledge that others see the issue differently, especially when it comes to Judaism. Also, Canadian and British are nationalities, not ethnicities. However, the elephant in the room remains:

That means someone who has a better knowledge of being American (which pushes a lot of the minorities out) has a better chance of making a film that's taken up by the public, and thus appearing in the Top Ten payments.
Are you suggesting that members of an ethnic minority do not possess knowledge of being American? Given the fact that they are Americans, I find that somewhat contradictory. Perhaps you had better define "American" to avoid any confusion similar to what I originally caused by failing to first define "minority."

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Canid117 said:
Thank you Hollywood for reminding me how expensive drinks are in your theaters.
That's not really the threaters fault. They have to make money somehow, and the ticket prices just isn't doing it for them since it all goes back to the studio.

DTWolfwood said:
kaizen2468 said:
Reading this stuff sickens me with jealousy and reinforces my rationalization of piracy.
im with ya buddy XD
Your picture forgot to include the little anti piracy commercial I have been seeing now for what a decade already?

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
Are you suggesting that members of an ethnic minority do not possess knowledge of being American?
Frankly yes, growing up as a minority rarely gives you time to acknowledge the differences in the majority. Remember that social culture anywhere is directed at and formed by the majority. It's far easier to portray someone of lower status than you, than of higher status.
Given the fact that they are Americans, I find that somewhat contradictory. Perhaps you had better define "American" to avoid any confusion similar to what I originally caused by failing to first define "minority."
There's a big difference between "people who live in America" and "Americans". The former is just geographical, the latter is cultural.
I could live in America for years, but I'd still be culturally British - as I'd be moaning about the weather, being sarcastic and muttering darkly about how I'm supposed to make a choice between 49 different sorts of icecream.

So, portraying "American Life" would be tricky for me, and it's rare that a Brit or Aussie manages to transfer being a minority across without becoming part of the majority.

Soooooo...it's perhaps not as odd to find all of the top 10 biggest earners living in the States with a luxurious background, as that gives them the greatest chance to make money out of their own skills. Which does, unfortunately, tend to include all the Caucasian Males. Even Twiglet has a distinctly Caucasian Male feel to it.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
manaman said:
Canid117 said:
Thank you Hollywood for reminding me how expensive drinks are in your theaters.
That's not really the threaters fault. They have to make money somehow, and the ticket prices just isn't doing it for them since it all goes back to the studio.
Which is why I am thanking Hollywood.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
It's far easier to portray someone of lower status than you, than of higher status.
It is interesting that you should bring that up in a year that a British actor is nominated for an Academy Award for best actor for his portrayal of King George VI. As far as I know, Colin Firth is not royalty.

There's a big difference between "people who live in America" and "Americans". The former is just geographical, the latter is cultural.
I think herein lies the problem. When I refer to ethnic minorities, I am not talking about immigrants, I am talking about people born and raised in the United States of America; in some cases these minorities have been there for generations and even hundreds of years. I am not talking about British or Australian actors, writers, and producers attempting to capture the essence of the American experience, I am talking about Americans portraying their own American experience. Also, you have not yet defined "American" for me other than a reference to it being a cultural distinction, so that may be the source of my continued confusion.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Hands up if you REALLY think James Cameron NEEDS to make $257,000,000 in a year... Anyone?

Now, I'm not saying a man doesn't deserve the bish of his bosh, but... REALLY?

Life has a funny sense of humor...

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
It's far easier to portray someone of lower status than you, than of higher status.
It is interesting that you should bring that up in a year that a British actor is nominated for an Academy Award for best actor for his portrayal of King George VI. As far as I know, Colin Firth is not royalty.
But given Hollywood, it wouldn't matter the slightest if he wasn't. King George wasn't American, as far as I know.

Also, you have not yet defined "American" for me other than a reference to it being a cultural distinction, so that may be the source of my continued confusion.
Being "American", like being "English" or "Australian" comes with certain stereotypes that you have to know and have dealt with.
I, for instance, loathe tea - but being "British", I have to know that's one of the things that makes me very un-British.
The majority of film-goers don't want to see something new and astounding, they want to see their own prejudices re-assembled.

Avatar would have gone very differently if, like Starship Troopers, we were given Halo style quirks to all the marines. (and not treated to the twin hicks sat on front left in the briefing - re-affirming the "Hyuck, BLAST EM" attitude of the military)

What's the difference between Starship Troopers and Avatar? The looks of the Aliens. That's something where having a deep knowledge of cultural America fits in. And something that minorities are often kept away from, due to them having different preconceptions.

Also see the smoking Grace...very nearly removed from the film, but it gives her an arc from Evil Grace (Smoking) to Good Grace (Na'vi). That's built to very exacting specifications based purely on what Cameron, Nolan et al grew up with...and Lautner, Stewart etc.

MovieBob's latest rant shows this as well; and he wasn't the first to come up with it...

It's not about making good movies, it's about popular movies. And being within the majority allows you to understand popularity a lot easier.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
But given Hollywood, it wouldn't matter the slightest if he wasn't. King George wasn't American, as far as I know.
No despite having an American sister-in-law King George VI wasn't an American. However, I used this example as a counter argument to your statement that it was easier to portray someone of a lower status than a higher status, I guess my point got lost somewhere along the way.

What's the difference between Starship Troopers and Avatar? The looks of the Aliens. That's something where having a deep knowledge of cultural America fits in. And something that minorities are often kept away from, due to them having different preconceptions.
I am afraid that I cannot grasp the connections between these two points. Are ethnic minorities like the Arachnids or are they like the Na'vi? I am having some difficulty following your logic here. Finally, it has become clear to me that you are either unwilling or unable to define what you mean by "American" so I must bring this enthralling exchange to a close.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Johnny Depp got more for Alice then Pirates... WTH is going on here, were they really that desperate to get him?

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
However, I used this example as a counter argument to your statement that it was easier to portray someone of a lower status than a higher status, I guess my point got lost somewhere along the way.
Where I re-countered with how would you know if the portrayal was accurate?

Finally, it has become clear to me that you are either unwilling or unable to define what you mean by "American" so I must bring this enthralling exchange to a close.
I have defined it. Twice. Having the same preconceptions of "life" as the majority. (Girls hang out in malls, bearded men are dangerous...etc.)
To a Japanese man, American teens would be running down the street dancing all the time. The "American" man understands that this is a cultural image of youth, rather than a depiction of what they're actually like.