finity

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Yo, dude.

Just, uh... just so you know.

Whatever you copied that from... the timestamp is still on the bottom.

Way to fail at a copypasta.

EDIT: Holy shit, did no one else notice that?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Oh... uhm... thanks OP, I am now so amazingly... high. Seriously, you are a hemisphere away and I can smell that stuff you lit up. I am sorry, could you please explain... in a less... whatever that was way? Please?

And mathematically that makes no sense, infinity was put there way to many times, and the fact that you can't understand something makes it impossible? I don't think so.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
molesgallus said:
DarthFennec said:
molesgallus said:
If you are, please explain why 'infinity' and 'nothing' are not synonyms.
Because `nothing' doesn't contain any information. If you have an `infinte expanse of nothing' it's not really useful for anything is it? Nothing and infinity don't exist, they're just concepts that we use to understand our world, so they're similar in that way, but they're nowhere near the same thing.

In any case, this whole thing is complete nonsense. If you're interested in this stuff I suggest you go learn some higher mathematics, sciences, and so on, so you could understand the reality of it better.
What are the dimensions of the nothing between point A and point B? What is the smallest unit of nothing? Apply the same questions to infinity.
Nothingness doesn't have units, what you're asking doesn't make any sense, it's like asking what the square root of a cat is. You can't measure nothing, because it doesn't exist, it's a concept that we as humans use to describe a lack of something. Infinity is a concept that we use to describe an ungodly amount of something. `i' is a concept that we use to describe an impossible number. Math isn't absolutely perfect, and sometimes we need placeholders like that to make it work. That's all there is to it.

molesgallus said:
I'm just wildly speculating about everything, using my terrible intuitition, and vague, semantically challenged, meangingless ideas. Learning facts could seriously hinder my ability to do that.
The thing is, concepts like nothing and infinity are not natural phenomena, they're human made concepts, so if you're going to make wild speculations about them you should figure out what they actually mean first. They have distinct meanings and those meanings are not the same, and if they were we'd have called them the same thing. They're just mathematical ideas, they're not scientifically testable, observable natural systems. It makes as much sense to make wild speculations about fantasy novels, and argue over whether those are true. They're not, it's not real.

If nothing and infinty were the same, I would be able to replace the infinity in any limit equation with 0, and it would come out to be the same answer. It doesn't. QED

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
DarthFennec said:
molesgallus said:
DarthFennec said:
molesgallus said:
molesgallus said:
I'm just wildly speculating about everything, using my terrible intuitition, and vague, semantically challenged, meangingless ideas. Learning facts could seriously hinder my ability to do that.
The thing is, concepts like nothing and infinity are not natural phenomena, they're human made concepts, so if you're going to make wild speculations about them you should figure out what they actually mean first. They have distinct meanings and those meanings are not the same, and if they were we'd have called them the same thing. They're just mathematical ideas, they're not scientifically testable, observable natural systems. It makes as much sense to make wild speculations about fantasy novels, and argue over whether those are true. They're not, it's not real.

If nothing and infinty were the same, I would be able to replace the infinity in any limit equation with 0, and it would come out to be the same answer. It doesn't. QED
Waa..? Um. Not sure what the hell is going on in your brain. How can I wildly speculate about something I understand? And how can you so brilliantly, spectacularly miss irony, or at least sarcasm?

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
molesgallus said:
It occurs to me that there is a fundamental flaw with the concept of infinity; I can't understand it.

And you'd likely be right to do that, especially if you are a mathematician. If you are, please explain why 'infinity' and 'nothing' are not synonms. And don't read on, because the rest of my argument relies on that fact ebing accepted.
First of all, your inability to understand something does not mean it is flawed - it suggests that your comprehension is flawed. Not necessarily your fault, since infinity is rather hard to explain, and a lot of people use the term incorrectly.

Infinity = undefined = unknown.

Infinity from the root finite, as in a specific number. Infinity means an unknown number.

If I grab a handful of sand, I have grabbed an "infinite" number of grains - that is, I have no idea how many there are, and no way to count them. If I then invent a device that tells me I actually have 503,205 grains of sand, then that handful is no longer infinite - it has become finite.

There are an infinite number of stars - because we have no way to count them.

There is an infinite amount of space - because we have no way to measure it.

Is there an edge or end to the empty space beyond the edge of the known universe? We have no idea. We don't think so, but that's a best guess. Mostly we don't have any reason to believe that there's anything else out there, so we assume that nothing is. There is no way for us to get there, and no way to measure it if we did, so it remains unknown.

When people talk about infinity in math, they mean a very large, but non-specific number. For instance, numbers are infinite - you can always add 1 to the biggest number, and get a bigger number yet. So the total "number" of whole numbers is infinity - that is, an unknown (and unknowable) number that is very large.

However, if you instead said the number of numbers up to the first decimal place (ie 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc) then you'd get a number ten times larger than the other infinity. The number is still infinite, but for every single number in the above infinity, there are ten numbers in this infinity.

The point of that is that infinity really just means "unknown" - and usually "unknowable" - at least by current science. Sure, there are a finite number of stars, but that number is insanely huge and there's no possible way to measure that number (because some stars are dark, some are behind others, and some are just so damn far away that their light can't reasonably reach us). Is there something beyond the "edge" of the universe? We have no idea - because we can't see that far.

tl;dr: infinity doesn't mean "nothing" - it means unknown.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
molesgallus said:
Simply put, there is more in heaven and earth than there will ever be in my philosophy. Another original though from me, there.
My troll-sense started tingling around here, because I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

molesgallus said:
Last edited by noses on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Uh huh...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
molesgallus said:
Which, of course, is just pure, undistilled sarcasm. This sentence has pushed me even further into my belief that one of us, me or them, is unbelievably stupid. People are giving serious answers to a post with that sentence in it. The entire post is sarcastic.
Which is why I asked nicely first instead of firing my mouth of. I know people who can, will and have say things like that with 100% sincerity.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Yo, dude.

Just, uh... just so you know.

Whatever you copied that from... the timestamp is still on the bottom.

Way to fail at a copypasta.

EDIT: Holy shit, did no one else notice that?
It's from here if anyone cares:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=73309&p=2714500&hilit=finity#p2711879

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
molesgallus said:
Waa..? Um. Not sure what the hell is going on in your brain. How can I wildly speculate about something I understand? And how can you so brilliantly, spectacularly miss irony, or at least sarcasm?
That wasn't irony. And if it was sarcasm, it's hard to tell, considering it's about as nonsensical as everything else you've said. Unless everything you've posted in this thread is supposed to be sarcastic, in which case, I'm sorry that I can't seem to tell the difference any better than anyone else here ...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
And, of course, god has endowed me with an understanding of everything that exists

Yes, of course...

... what?

Assuming this is serious, trying to argue something from the standpoint of "well god 'tells' me X so Y can't be true," will get you nowhere.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
please check into rehab, educate your blind faith away and accept that the mass of the singularity in a black hole can be infinite. bam.

also infinity =/= 0 and old copypasta is old. seen this on /sci/

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Lukeje said:
It's from here if anyone cares:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=73309&p=2714500&hilit=finity#p2711879
And it looks as though that OP got as much of a pasting as this one... how was that a good idea? Makes less sense (to post it) on the xkcd forums than it does here, if anything...