Fire Emblem Fates Cuts Petting From English Version

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
erttheking said:
Oh no...that was holding the game together. Really, is anyone seriously going to miss this?
It's a quick way to gain stat bonuses, and on one of the paths it was the only way to max out affection scores.

So yes, people are going to miss this, and it was holding (one of) the game(s) together.

Zhukov said:
Is that the thing I heard about where you order your teenage companion NPCs into your room one-by-one, undress them and then feel them up to fill a some kind of bonding meter?

I dunno folks. I don't think the game will be quite the same without that feature.

Bix96 said:
If XCOM 2 came out in Europe with air battles but America's version was cut people most definitely be upset.
Can't speak for anyone else, but as someone who loves some XCOM, I would have been overjoyed to get a version without the air battles.

They were half-baked, barely interactive, relied on arbitrary and hidden dice rolls, didn't allow the player many options and were an annoying resource sink.

If there was a mod to remove them I would have installed it in a flash and I'm glad they're not going to be in XCOM2.
There was no undressing, it's just pats on the head, and it only got lewdish when you were petting the person you were married to.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Also, a little something from that hive mind of intolerance and misogyny known as 8chan.

>be Hispanic

>whole culture is generally very touchy as far as showing affection goes, e.g. lots of hugging and patting, kisses on the cheek are super common

>slightly autistic, so that want of touching people to know them is effectively doubled

>get told by NoA (more like NoSJ) that my way of showing affection is lewd and not appropriate at all

>mfw
Also, I love the whole "look at games twenty years ago. they did it too" thing. It's great to know that they don't see any need for thing to advance then either, besides just saying videogames need to grow up over and over.

I also love how hypocritical this crap is.

"Oh but people would find that stuff freaky"

Yeah maybe in terms of purtian WHITE FOLK who putting up this crap about safe spaces and such.

Yet they disregard the cultures actually see this as acceptable. Hell aren't Italians about as touchy feely as Hispanics?

What's worse about this is that crap like Mass Effect gets away with your character sexing up aliens and the like with no problem but when it comes to head patting to show affection HELL NAW

Feb 26, 2014
More disappointing news on the Fates front, eh? Oh well, this wont make or break the game for me, I just really hate it when things are cut from the game. Especially optional little mini-games. Why remove it? Why not just leave it in for those who want it? Taking it out certainly wont change anything. The only people who know or give a damn are those of us making a fuss on the internet. I highly doubt leaving the petting in would impact the sales enough to warrant it. I'm still getting the game, I just hope they don't cut anything else.

I also support the idea of introducing the cut content as free DLC. Then those who want the content can have it and those who don't want it don't have to even look at it. Everybody wins!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
erttheking said:
Oh no...that was holding the game together. Really, is anyone seriously going to miss this?
It's a quick way to gain stat bonuses, and on one of the paths it was the only way to max out affection scores.

So yes, people are going to miss this, and it was holding (one of) the game(s) together.
I'm assuming Nintendo has enough brain cells to rub together to put in a way to get around this. If not, well, there's a good reason to pass on this game.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
SquallTheBlade said:
Revnak said:
Yeah, and those games for kids definitely include the games those characters are in. Or did Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus suddenly stop being games made for kids?
Why not? They CAN stop being games for just children if you ask me. Just look what happened to Digimon
Can't wait untill I get my hands on the Cyber Sleuth
Umm, Sexy girls isn't something that happened to Digimon recently, friend. Angewomon's been around since 1998. Rosemon, Ladydevimon, and (questionably and much more subjectively) Renamon have quickly followed suit. I'd say it's still as kid friendly as it's ever been.

Though I do agree on that last part.Cyber Sleuth hype is real

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
I can't believe people are seriously justifying the removal of an entire part of the game, when has that EVER been ok?
If that something is going to make the game experience worse for me, absolutely cut it. Just because there's more in a game, doesn't mean it's magically better.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
I can't believe people are seriously justifying the removal of an entire part of the game, when has that EVER been ok?
If that something is going to make the game experience worse for me, absolutely cut it. Just because there's more in a game, doesn't mean it's magically better.
I will never understand this kind of mindset. Whenever I see stuff in a game that I don't like, I just think "Well I don't like this but I guess someone else will" and move on. I ignore the aspects that I don't like and focus on the things that I like. This way everyone wins.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
SquallTheBlade said:
RedDeadFred said:
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
I will never understand this kind of mindset. Whenever I see stuff in a game that I don't like, I just think "Well I don't like this but I guess someone else will" and move on. I ignore the aspects that I don't like and focus on the things that I like. This way everyone wins.
I should probably mention that I know very little about the game, but seeing as this series used to be a serious RPG, I assumed that petting allies would have some kind of in game bonuses (maybe they unlock a special skill once they like you enough). If it's really just a side romance thing that adds nothing to the actual combat, then ya, go for it. I won't use it, but someone else will.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SquallTheBlade said:
RedDeadFred said:
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
Even the frustrating annoying parts that get in the way? Because I hope you understand that when I'm watching my best friend being forced to play the most goddamn annoying gambling mini-game that basically goes "You lose" and forces you to constantly reload so you don't go broke, just so she can get someone to join her party and she can get the good ending in Suikoden II, I don't see how many people will be thinking "I guess someone else will like this BS mini-game that's frustrating me and wasting my time."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MatthewTheDark said:
First of all, perhaps saying I was "pissed" may have been a wrong choice of words.
Kind of like how when you first responded to me, you went after me because you "never said you were pissed?"

EternallyBored said:
That's a good question, I don't know of any DLC that would merit a higher rating than the base game, so I don't know if it's unrated, or how they handle it.

Given that they seem to be pushing this release hoping for Awakening level sales, and its basically a first party title, if Nintendo really wanted to they could probably just implement an age gate for something like that. They launch enough updates it would be simple to make any TOS edits necessary before commercial release.

Dunno if they would really consider it worth it for something like that though, it is a part of the game, and the assets behind it aren't insignificant, but I'm not sure if they would consider it worth it to bother translating that stuff for a fraction of the people that buy the game and would want it re-implemented.
That last part is kind of the conundrum. Since it's their title, they could ostensibly do it. But it probably isn't worth it if it was controversial even in Japan.

Part of the reason I'm curious about this is that way back when Rock Band came out, it was the first music game to start having a really massive library of DLC, and so people started asking for unedited versions of songs. Which I would honestly prefer, if only because I hate when there are beeps, glitch sounds, etc in my music. And people were concerned it would impact the rating of the game. The ESRB confirmed that the "DLC not rated" thing was true, and that such profanity wouldn't bump the rating of the game. So they could, but they didn't.

I suspect that, even with a game that sold 8 million and was one of the highest grossing games of all time, it wasn't worth the money.

There are fewer logistical hurdles here, but we're still looking at a potentially unpopular feature at at least some financial cost. And while Nintendo has apparently said they haven't actually announced it, it still seems likely they'd cut an unpopular feature to avoid ratings issues and not add it back in to fulfill the desires of a niche market.

Like, from the response this has gotten, I suspect it will have about as much an impact on sales as Return of Kings estimated they did on Star Wars Episode VIII. Or the amount of damage that an ordinary human lying in the mud in his dressing gown would have on a large yellow bulldozer.

As such, while age-gated DLC might not be unreasonable, it does sseem like it might be impractical.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
Also, I love the whole "look at games twenty years ago. they did it too" thing. It's great to know that they don't see any need for thing to advance then either, besides just saying videogames need to grow up over and over.
Of course, most (or possibly all) of those comments are because people have decided to frame this as a new thing that is recently happening to games, despite that not having a lick of truth. Or blame this sort of thing on [insert recent SJW bogeyman here], which is similarly untrue.

Context is kind of important.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
erttheking said:
SquallTheBlade said:
RedDeadFred said:
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
Even the frustrating annoying parts that get in the way? Because I hope you understand that when I'm watching my best friend being forced to play the most goddamn annoying gambling mini-game that basically goes "You lose" and forces you to constantly reload so you don't go broke, just so she can get someone to join her party and she can get the good ending in Suikoden II, I don't see how many people will be thinking "I guess someone else will like this BS mini-game that's frustrating me and wasting my time."
I guess? If it annoys me, I wouldn't do it. I don't see a reason why I should force my way and do it. I'd just focus on the things I like.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SquallTheBlade said:
erttheking said:
SquallTheBlade said:
RedDeadFred said:
Bix96 said:
erttheking said:
I guess? If it annoys me, I wouldn't do it. I don't see a reason why I should force my way and do it. I'd just focus on the things I like.
Because she needed to do it. She needed to force her way through that video game to get the best ending, and not the one that left you feeling depressed as all hell. In order to get the best ending in Suikoden you need all 108 Stars of Destiny, all the characters recruited, which required multiple goes at this stupid gambling mini-game. That's the thing with some of these annoying mechanics. Sometimes you NEED to do it if you want to access some parts of content that you actually want to get to. That seemed to be the case here too, if you wanted to get some of the higher parts of the characters forming relationships. So not only is it stupid, it's now intrusive.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
That's kind of apples and oranges. Suikoden is just doing the old grind thing there, it is something aimed at rewarding perserverance not something aimed at actually being fun as you do it. Your argument against that is basically an argument against difficulty, grinding, loss conditions and challenge in general. It's nothing like the petting game which is actually intended as an enjoyable activity.

I see the gamblng simmilar to buying 9999 coins to get porygon in pokemon red, you just grind it out and eventually you reap the benefits.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
That's kind of apples and oranges. Suikoden is just doing the old grind thing there, it is something aimed at rewarding perserverance not something aimed at actually being fun as you do it. Your argument against that is basically an argument against difficulty, grinding, loss conditions and challenge in general. It's nothing like the petting game which is actually intended as an enjoyable activity.

I see the gamblng simmilar to buying 9999 coins to get porygon in pokemon red, you just grind it out and eventually you reap the benefits.
Except it's not supposed to be grinding. You're just supposed to win one game. A single game. But the game constantly goes "Your opponent rolled an impossibly high score for the fifteenth time in a row, too bad, you lose all your money." And there's no skill to it! It's pure luck. It's basically pushing a single button and being told "Do you want to actually progress? A. Eat Shit B. Eat shit," and then you lose all your money. Any game where you have to constantly reset the game in order to get past an event that sucked away all your resources because the odds are horrifically stacked against you and you have to keep smashing your head against a wall until you get lucky is doing something wrong. I fail to see how I'm arguing against "Difficulty, loss condition and challenge in general." That's an example of putting words in my mouth if I've ever seen one. I notice the word "Intended" here. I can't help but feel that the gambling mini-game was intended to be enjoyable too, but that doesn't mean it can't just get in the way when people want to get back to the parts of the game they actually came there to play.

Also properly quote me if you're going to talk to me. I hate having to manually check for replies.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Self-censorship?

I believe the term you're looking for is tact.

tact: a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense.

Synonyms: Diplomacy, sensitivity, understanding, thoughtfulness, consideration, discretion.

It's generally considered a positive trait.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
wow, uh, 319 posts. i didn't think people were this passionate about games. wonder why we never see this many posts about removing any other kind of feature from a game.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Something Amyss said:
There are fewer logistical hurdles here, but we're still looking at a potentially unpopular feature at at least some financial cost.
This raises an interesting question. Does it cost more to localise than it does to remove?

Something Amyss said:
Nintendo has apparently said they haven't actually announced it, it still seems likely they'd cut an unpopular feature to avoid ratings issues
I doubt there'd be any ratings issues, the game's already rated 15+ in Japan, and I wouldn't expect it to get anything higher than that in the west based on similar ESRB examples.

Something Amyss said:
not add it back in to fulfill the desires of a niche market.
This seems to be a problem with the gaming community/industry in general. I don't understand why people are so averse to having optional things in games that they don't like. We saw the same thing with same sex relationships in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
erttheking said:
Because she needed to do it. She needed to force her way through that video game to get the best ending, and not the one that left you feeling depressed as all hell. In order to get the best ending in Suikoden you need all 108 Stars of Destiny, all the characters recruited, which required multiple goes at this stupid gambling mini-game. That's the thing with some of these annoying mechanics. Sometimes you NEED to do it if you want to access some parts of content that you actually want to get to. That seemed to be the case here too, if you wanted to get some of the higher parts of the characters forming relationships. So not only is it stupid, it's now intrusive.
No one forced her to do it. There was no NEED to do it. It's just a game which you can stop playing at any moment if you don't like it. Why would you do something that you don't find fun? I just don't get it.