Fire Emblem Fates Will Introduce Same-Sex Marriage to the Series

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Baresark said:
I personally am only annoyed how they are splitting the games cast like they are. I'm sure the story will be basically the same between the two. I am just annoyed about the Pokemon style game splitting we are looking at.
It may be better worse than Pokemon style depending on how you look at it. The difference between Pokemon versions are mostly just a matter of taste and basically boils down to which legendary you prefer.

Fire Emblem though, each version has a different cast of characters, a different region, a different basic story, different gameplay mechanics [footnote]Birthright has a map like Awakening, Conquest doesn't have a map, has chapter to chapter game play like most older Fire Emblem games[/footnote] and now if you're playing a male character and want same sex marriage options you're required to buy conquest, if you're playing a female character and want same sex marriage options, you have to play birthright, or you could, you know, buy every version. *insert evil laughter*

NPC009 said:
I always think it's sad when they don't get A support, but when they do my brain does this [http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=011915] because spoilers.
I don't know about you, but I transferred that data from PoR to RD, they stayed a happy couple throughout both games.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
NPC009 said:
I always think it's sad when they don't get A support, but when they do my brain does this [http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=011915] because spoilers.
I don't know about you, but I transferred that data from PoR to RD, they stayed a happy couple throughout both games.
So did I! Because I'll be sad if they aren't happy. Plus, if you jump those all those extra hoops, you get some bonus scenes. Important bonus scenes, like plot-changingly big bonus scenes. Seriously can't believe Intelligent Systems saw the need to hid is that well...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
Baresark said:
I personally am only annoyed how they are splitting the games cast like they are. I'm sure the story will be basically the same between the two. I am just annoyed about the Pokemon style game splitting we are looking at.
It may be better worse than Pokemon style depending on how you look at it. The difference between Pokemon versions are mostly just a matter of taste and basically boils down to which legendary you prefer.

Fire Emblem though, each version has a different cast of characters, a different region, a different basic story, different gameplay mechanics [footnote]Birthright has a map like Awakening, Conquest doesn't have a map, has chapter to chapter game play like most older Fire Emblem games[/footnote] and now if you're playing a male character and want same sex marriage options you're required to buy conquest, if you're playing a female character and want same sex marriage options, you have to play birthright, or you could, you know, buy every version. *insert evil laughter*

NPC009 said:
Ugh, I didn't realize it was such a drastic cut between the two. It almost seems wrong they are both considered to be party of the same series, especially since one diverges completely from the rest of the series. I can probably justify getting them both by simply acknowledging they are not the same game.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
so it's only 1 character in the whole world?
I'm not saying that I want a Bioware here where everyone does everyone but... at least more options would have been nice

I'm not going to complain about them dividing things between sides since I plan on getting both version anyway

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
GZGoten said:
so it's only 1 character in the whole world?
I'm not saying that I want a Bioware here where everyone does everyone but... at least more options would have been nice

I'm not going to complain about them dividing things between sides since I plan on getting both version anyway
Really only in the DA games. Mass Effect is far more strict on who gets to bang who. If you're a woman, great! You get all those lovely Asari since they're all women and have no men. If you're a man you get to be asexual until Mass Effect 3 where you can bang some random shuttle pilot or Kaiden who suddenly realized he was bisexual between Mass Effect 1 and 3.

Dragon Age is pretty nice with that though. Lots of men and women that swing all kinds of different ways.

On topic!

Really weird to split the relationships like that, especially since the games play fairly differently. Wont really effect me since I plan to get both anyway, but its still really weird.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
inu-kun said:
EternallyBored said:
inu-kun said:
Wait, didn't they say there's gonna be character's children in the game? So I guess people will need to let go of 2 bonus characters for their fanfic.
This is pretty easily sidestepped by having the child character be adopted if the PC pursues the same sex romance option, there's no real reason that the gay couples can't have kids showing up after the timeskip. The only thing that would be different than heterosexual couples would be that it usually has the child inherit the hair color of one of the parents, but that's easily handled as well.

I don't how Nintendo will handle it, but there isn't any reason you need to miss out on child characters just for choosing one option.
But the whole point is the child inheriting the parent's abilities, it's kinda disappears if the child is adopted, not to mention the child usually has traits and looks corrosponding to the parents. Though on second reading it seems to be only the MC and a certain character so I guess at least we don't get the "everybody's bisexual" treatment.
It doesn't have to disappear, there's numerous ways you could handwave away an adopted child having abilities from their parents, apart from some bloodline related shananigans from Chrom's family in Awakening the inherited skills could be written as trained or taught by the respective parents, that's if the whole thing isn't just ignored in favor of gameplay, i.e. "they have the same ability as their parent because we say so". The hair color thing would also be trivial to either ignore or handwave as just adopting a child with similar hair color to one of the parents, I've seen far pettier reasons that people have chosen to adopt a particular child in real life.

That's if you don't just go the surrogate route, which is also entirely possible.

You could also use any number of other solutions as well, in a setting with time travel and magic there are multiple ways you could get a magic baby, since the gay romance is for the main character and one specific side character only, they don't really have to worry about variation or justifying multiple magic babies so it could be little more than a one time event for whatever sidestory related reason.

I have no idea how Nintendo will actually handle it, but there are a lot of ways you could have a gay couple in the game and still end up with a kid that has an ability they learned/inherited from a parent, and a specific hair color.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
As long as they don't make a big deal of the sexuality of each individual character and avoid cringe worthy awkwardness and stereotypes, I'm really happy with this.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
EternallyBored said:
*snipped*
I wondered if there'd be a legacy/offspring system in this game.

Adoption would strike me as the swiftest and surest method for the main character, whatever orientation you play them as.

A child that you are motivated to take in to protect, nuture and raise as a story factor would then apply to all variations of the character you could potentially be playing.
Moreso, it strikes me as the most thematically likely.
Heir to a fallen kingdom raised under the aegis of your household name, reclaiming their birthright with your aid when they finally come of age.
That's a core fire emblem story element right there.

The only thing I'm left puzzled about in this release is related to the separation of the titles and what this means to me as someone who wants to play the complete game.
Last time I experienced something like this it was in shining force 3, which split into three releases.
First told the story from one perspective, second from a rival kingdom perspective and the final release united the two against common foe and kingdom shaking threat.

This sounds similar, but with a definite chance of a full release schedule which, much to my lament, shining force 3 did not achieve outside of Japan.
(side note, I'd deeply love to see a rerelease of a complete edition of that game. This is the vain hope that speaking this wish out aloud will somehow nudge it that little bit closer to actuality in written form. pathetic I know, but I'll try anything for more shining force.)

In short, exactly how much money do nintendo want to rip from my hands before I get to see the whole game and will there be a significant difference between the battles you fight in each version?
Is it shining force 3, or pokemon red and blue?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Conquest = Gay

Birthright = Lesbian

Hmmmm, I wonder if IS and Kibayashi are trying to make a comment on Western society's relationship with homosexuality.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
sorsa said:
As long as they don't make a big deal of the sexuality of each individual character and avoid cringe worthy awkwardness and stereotypes, I'm really happy with this.
Well, the gay option is a sadistic torturer and the lesbian option is

Literally Tharja reincarnated

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
It is really weird to limit the options depending on the game, and I'm not sure how it'd work if there's a bi character present, but speaking as an asexual guy I'm excited by this. Awakening had some great totally-not-romance-honest supports between same sex characters so seeing them get official recognition is nice. Question though, won't this affect the age rating? I thought, in the US at least, any direct mention of a gay character got stuff slapped with an automatic 15 label.
Honestly, this is just the tip of Fates' iceberg of lewdness.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
NPC009 said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
EbonBehelit said:
ShenCS said:
(hell, they went so far as to make Ike, the main character of two of their games, gay)
Errrrrr...... what?
They never bluntly said "I love you" but exhibit A [http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Soren/Supports]

Ike and Soren's support conversations fuel many ships.
[sub](Also Soren is devastating when he has A level support and Ike is the easiest of very few options to get that with)[/sub]
Ike struck me more as asexual, but Soren... yeah.
Ikes endings in Radiant Dawn make it a bit less subtle.
Ike leaves the continent to go on a journey, and he brings either Soren or Ranulf with him if they have an A support

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
This seems like such a weird (and kind of exploitive way) to go bout it. Unless the stories are completely different I guess people will just get one or the other version however.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
ShenCS said:
hell, they went so far as to make Ike, the main character of two of their games, gay
Wasn't one of the characters from Awakening all but stated to be Ike's descendant?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Damnit all! If I'm reading right, the lesbian stuff is in the plot lead version, and not the Awakening styled one. :/

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
DarklordKyo said:
ShenCS said:
hell, they went so far as to make Ike, the main character of two of their games, gay
Wasn't one of the characters from Awakening all but stated to be Ike's descendant?
Awakening takes place in Marth's world, not Ike's.
There is/are characters in Awakening descended from Marth.

Fire Emblem though does love their blue haired pretty boys, so anyone who confuses them is swiftly forgiven. (Although it's funnier when people confuse Roy with Eliwood) [http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=062215]

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
Awakening takes place in Marth's world, not Ike's.
There is/are characters in Awakening descended from Marth.

Fire Emblem though does love their blue haired pretty boys, so anyone who confuses them is swiftly forgiven. (Although it's funnier when people confuse Roy with Eliwood) [http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=062215]
Wasn't one of the points of Awakening to retcon every entry as being in the same world? (just in different periods, dynasties and such). Also, you gotta admit, that sword Priam wields looks surprisingly like Ragnell.